Thread: gender roles, androgyny, types and the forum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default gender roles, androgyny, types and the forum

I'm posting this topic because I find it interesting how it seems more difficult to tell if certain members (of certain types), on this forum, are male or female just by reading their posts.....

like, for example, I find it amusing that multiple posters here have had to clarify with me whether I'm male or female... I find it even more amusing that even I find it difficult to tell if other INFp posters are male or female....

I was thinking maybe there's a certain relation between someone's socionic type and how strongly they relate to their gender? (and of course how strongly other people relate them to their gender... at least on the forums)

Thus I thought it would be fun if you all, upon reading this, stopped for a moment, and thought about the different members of this forum, categorized them into their respective types, and then discerned any pattern between each type and how strongly gender roles permeated in their posting style... (I hope that makes sense)... Like is there certain types that when you read their posts you can immediately tell that they're male or female? Certain types that make you think twice? What are they? Is there certain members here whose gender you're uncertain of... even having read many posts by them? Certain members you were surprised to find out were male/female...?

I mean this topic to be taken in a broad sense and don't want people to feel threatened or anything. Even small things like the fact that certain types may be more apt to choose androgynous names or avatars are quite telling. And of course I'm sure all of this will lead us into the general direction of discerning whether we, having been introduced to socionics and having identified with our type, feel that we identify more strongly with our type, in general, than we do with our gender.... of course I expect viewpoints to differ amongst posters.

Anyways I'm looking forward to your thoughts!
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ones I can recall being mixed up besides yourself are:

Zeia-INTp
    Sneg-INFp
    Me-INTj
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elbow tchaikovsky freezer burn
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I think a lot of the gender-confusion, though, is just choice of username and avatar.
    I agree but i think if we look into this we may find that certain types are more likely to choose a names and avatars that hint to their gender.... like I'm not talking about such as a conscious "choice"...
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    The ones I can recall being mixed up besides yourself are:

Zeia-INTp
    Sneg-INFp
    Me-INTj
    I remember Baby's avatar of a female nursing a baby
    it took me about 1-2 months to get that sorted out.....
    and when I finally got it....'doh
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that was kind of funny
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two obvious associations:

Fe - "feminine"
    Se - "masculine"

Less obvious:

Ti - "masculine"
    Te- "masculine"
    Fi - "feminine"

Not as readily associated with masculinity or femininity, but if you look at the erotic attitudes I'd lean towards:

Si - "feminine"
    Ne - "masculine"
    Ni - "feminine"
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That said, I think a lot of Alpha SF males, especially ESFjs, behave very much according to their society's gender roles when it comes to their interests and attitudes about men and women.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My assumptions about people's genders here have been entirely based on their user names. Like Zeia ends in "a" and therefore sounded feminine to me.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought mikemex was female.
    SEE

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elbow tchaikovsky freezer burn
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh... well that would make more sense. I was getting mixed messages with the "Mike" part and the avatar, lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure how or why i assumed mikemex to be female, but i never saw any indications of being incorrect.

he's not IEE anyway, so that has nothing to do with perception of his type.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of people have wondered if I was a woman.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that the following male members were females:

* misutii - due to the first three alphabets in the nickname and how the posts come off to me (the tone, style of writing etc; an overall impression)
    * snegledmaca - writing style, similar with misutii
    * Topaz - same as above
    * Jadae : nickname

And I thought this female member was a male:

* ISTP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    That said, I think a lot of Alpha SF males, especially ESFjs, behave very much according to their society's gender roles when it comes to their interests and attitudes about men and women.
    I agree with that.

note: when i say "masculine' and "feminine" below it's meant according the basic stereotypes that exist in society.... thus masculine denotes taking the initiative, watching action movies etc.

Masculine------
    ESFj males
    INTj males
    ENTp males
    ESTp males
    ISTj males
    ENTj males
    ESFp males
    ISTp males
    ESTj males

Feminine------
    ESFj females
    ISFp females
    ENFj females
    INFp females
    ISFj females
    ESFp females
    ENFp females

Androgynous------ (conflict/don't naturally abide with gender roles)
    INTj females
    ENFj males
    INFp males
    ISTj females
    ESTp females
    ENTj females
    INTps
    ESTj females
    ISTp females
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Yes! When I came here there were a lot of people using avatars of the opposite sex. It took me a while to figure it all out...I actually have to write it down.

Though I don't make any assumptions based on username.

Quote Originally Posted by misutii
    INTps
    lol. I guess I could see that.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha
    Your avatar does my head in when I've been awake for 24 hours and should really be in bed. Anyhow...

Some people have thought that I was a man, which is confusing.
    While we are clearing up misconceptions, how is it pronounced: I-sha or Ish-a?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you were male for a short time, sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose with a name like Topaz its not easy to know so for the record Im a guy. Im glad Im not the only one confused. I still dont fully know who is male and female because people throw me with their avitars and names. Is Stephana male or female? I know Expat is a guy but his avitar drives me nuts because I identify all his post with the picture of the woman (who is that again?). Some people change their avitar daily. Just when I think for sure they are a guy then I begin to wonder if they arent a girl. I was not sure about Misutii. The name kinda sounds like a girls name. Then there is the flower in the avitar so that too pushed me think perhaps female. I was too embarassed to ask. I never figured out if Catholic School Boy was really a boy (whatever happened to CSB?)

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha
    I thought you were male for a short time, sorry.
    May I ask why?
    I think we had some quick conversation in the chat and it was like the first time I talked to you and that's all I can recall. There wasn't anything that stood out in my mind saying "man" or "woman", it was just some assumption I'd come to out of nowhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    I suppose with a name like Topaz its not easy to know so for the record Im a guy. Im glad Im not the only one confused. I still dont fully know who is male and female because people throw me with their avitars and names. Is Stephana male or female? I know Expat is a guy but his avitar drives me nuts because I identify all his post with the picture of the woman (who is that again?). Some people change their avitar daily. Just when I think for sure they are a guy then I begin to wonder if they arent a girl. I was not sure about Misutii. The name kinda sounds like a girls name. Then there is the flower in the avitar so that too pushed me think perhaps female. I was too embarassed to ask. I never figured out if Catholic School Boy was really a boy (whatever happened to CSB?)
    certain types seem to attach more significance to gender than others... like personally there's been instances where I've read someone's post and in my head was like "wow i didn't know that was a girl" ....... but now when I try to look back at those moments I don't even remember the poster's gender.... i don't see how it really matters whether i know the actual gender of a person on a forum that i'll never meet in real life... but at the same time it's evident that for some people it's a more important issue than for others... like the simple fact that we're often embarrassed to clarify with someone their gender for fear of offending them (some guys on this forum would no doubt be offended if someone refferred to them as "she" and some girls likewise). this reminds me of 2 summers ago when I was addicted to world of warcraft my character was a female night elf rogue and i always found it amusing when i grouped with random people and they called me "she" and i just shamelessly played along, lol
    INFp-Ni

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never figured out if Catholic School Boy was really a boy (whatever happened to CSB?)
    Catholic Schoolboy was the user previously known as Sycophant. She was banned due to her role in the forum defacement episode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think choice of avatars have a big effect on how you are perceived (more so than how you write). For example when Expat had Fabio (not that Fabio but the other) as avatar no one questioned his masculinity. Then of course Herzy came out as a male because she had that teenage male ESTp with a gun as her avatar (ok she acts a bit masculine occasionally).

I have thought that many INFps like Baby, sneg (and even misutii a bit) might have been females when I first read their posts. It was a combination of the effect of their avatars and text but the avatars played a bigger role I think. INFp males tend to choose rather feminine avatars imho. That combined with their usually polite writing style might make them seem females at first glance.

That said I have been suspected a woman in the chat but very rarely if ever in the forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey : ), sorry if what I wrote made you feel awkward as I didn't mean it in a negative light. I actually find the confusion amusing.

I'm a male :wink: .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefana
    Hey : ), sorry if what I wrote made you feel awkward as I didn't mean it in a negative light. I actually find the confusion amusing.

I'm a male :wink: .
    its not a problem. I wasnt neccessarily retaliating. I just figured as long as we're on the subject I might as well ask. I'm American and most names that end in 'a' are girls names. And your avitar, that confused me too. I even checked out your previous post and I was still like I think your post are too brief and to the point to tell. I think youre ISTP. Am I right?

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never figured out if Catholic School Boy was really a boy (whatever happened to CSB?)
    Catholic Schoolboy was the user previously known as Sycophant. She was banned due to her role in the forum defacement episode.
    Oh wow! thanks Expat.

Topaz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not a problem. I wasnt neccessarily retaliating. I just figured as long as we're on the subject I might as well ask. I'm American and most names that end in 'a' are girls names. And your avitar, that confused me too. I even checked out your previous post and I was still like I think your post are too brief and to the point to tell. I think youre ISTP. Am I right?
    Nope, I'm some sort of NF .

Btw, sorry about my gender. I thought I had typed "female".

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

note: when i say "masculine' and "feminine" below it's meant according the basic stereotypes that exist in society.... thus masculine denotes taking the initiative, watching action movies etc.

Masculine------
    ESFj males
    INTj males
    ENTp males
    ESTp males
    ISTj males
    ENTj males
    ESFp males
    ISTp males
    ESTj males

Feminine------
    ESFj females
    ISFp females
    ENFj females
    INFp females
    ISFj females
    ESFp females
    ENFp females

INTj females
    ENFj males
    INFp males
    ISTj females
    ESTp females
    ENTj females
    INTps
    ESTj females
    ISTp females
    That's a very thought-provoking list, I think you are on to something.

You left out ISFj males, I think they are "masculine" rather than "androgynous".

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    For example when Expat had Fabio (not that Fabio but the other) as avatar
    That's who he was ? I had no idea. I had never heard of him. I selected that as avatar because the laurel leaves gave it a sense of absurdity.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought everyone knew who Fabio was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masculine------
    ESFj males
    INTj males
    ENTp males
    ESTp males
    ISTj males
    ENTj males
    ESFp males
    ISTp males
    ESTj males

Feminine------
    ESFj females
    ISFp females
    ENFj females
    INFp females
    ISFj females
    ESFp females
    ENFp females

INTj females
    ENFj males
    INFp males
    ISTj females
    ESTp females
    ENTj females
    INTps
    ESTj females
    ISTp females
    That's a very thought-provoking list, I think you are on to something.

You left out ISFj males, I think they are "masculine" rather than "androgynous".
    I'm going to expand upon it after i finish my exam later as i have tonnes of ancedotes that should controversial enough to spark people's interest and get a decent conversation going. the types I left out were because of my personal lack of experience with them. When I was labelling the different types in those categories I thought of people I knew from each of the types.... then I realized that certain types (not necessarily with ill intent) are more like to criticize others for not abiding by certain roles. For example, my mom (ESFj) has sometimes remarked about "boyish" girls in a seemingly disapproving tone. Likewise I find that males that relate very strongly to their gender tend to have stronger fear towards being "emasculated" - an ESTp I know for example once told me that he would never even think of dating a girl that was taller than him because it would be 'emasculating' - also they're more likely, when insulting other men, to make 'emasculating' insults, i.e. "you're a pussy", "your a bitch". Likewise women that fit their gender-role will criticize other women that don't, and who they're at odds with, in a comparable manner - i.e. digging up gossip to show how "unlady-like" that bitch is, making fun of how they dress etc.
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought everyone knew who Fabio was.
    He has managed to create a pretty well known brand out of himself. I think his idea is to "sell fantasy" or something.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    He talks about his INTp girlfriend, so I thought that might be a picture of her.
    Yeah, the girl in my avatar is my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    he's not IEE anyway, so that has nothing to do with perception of his type.
    Yeah, geniuses are beyond types. Shut up, you mortal!
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.