LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dr. Seuss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Seuss
    http://www.nea.org/readacross/resour...biography.html

A person's a person, no matter how small," Theodor Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, would say. "Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted."

Brilliant, playful, and always respectful of children, Dr. Seuss charmed his way into the consciousness of four generations of youngsters and parents. In the process, he helped millions of kids learn to read.
    In May of 1954, Life published a report on illiteracy among schoolchildren, suggesting that children were having trouble reading because their books were boring. This problem inspired Geisel's publisher, prompting him to send Geisel a list of 400 words he felt were important for children to learn. The publisher asked Geisel to cut the list to 250 words and use them to write an entertaining children's book. Nine months later, Geisel, using 220 of the words given to him, published The Cat in the Hat, which brought instant success.
    The consistency of his meter was one of his hallmarks; the many imitators and parodists of Seuss are often unable to write in strict anapestic tetrameter, or are unaware that they should, and thus sound clumsy in comparison with the original.
    Artwork

Seuss evidently enjoyed drawing architecturally elaborate objects. His endlessly varied (but never rectilinear) palaces, ramps, platforms, and free-standing stairways are among his most evocative creations. Seuss also drew elaborate imaginary machines, of which the Audio-Telly-O-Tally-O-Count, from Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book, is one example. Seuss also liked drawing outlandish arrangements of feathers or fur, for example, the 500th hat of Bartholomew Cubbins, the tail of Gertrude McFuzz, and the pet for girls who like to brush and comb, in One Fish Two Fish.

Seuss's images often convey motion vividly. He was fond of a sort of "voilą" gesture, in which the hand flips outward, spreading the fingers slightly backward with the thumb up; this is done by Ish, for instance, in One Fish Two Fish when he creates fish (who perform the gesture themselves with their fins), in the introduction of the various acts of If I Ran the Circus, and in the introduction of the Little Cats in The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. He was also fond of drawing hands with interlocked fingers, which looked as though the character was twiddling their thumbs.

Seuss also follows the cartoon tradition of showing motion with lines, for instance in the sweeping lines that accompany Sneelock's final dive in If I Ran the Circus. Cartoonist's lines are also used to illustrate the action of the senses (sight, smell, and hearing) in The Big Brag and even of thought, as in the moment when the Grinch conceives his awful idea.
    Everything about him seems Alpha. Si >>>>>> Se.

I might even say ESFj.

Creepy-bg

I will not type this gentle man...
    I will not type him Sam I am.

Creepy-Diana

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to type this silly man
    I refuse to type him in a van
    Inside a bag or in a can
    With sword and shield and battle plan
    I would not type this crazy man

Even if his name were Anne
    And he had a dark and sexy tan
    And drove a mini pink sedan
    Where he kept a copy of the Koran
    I would not type this wacky man

Even if his pet toucan
    Who had a thirty foot wingspan
    Could fly him to and from Japan
    Just to hire a stuntman
    Whom he could dress-up as Batman
    I would not type this racist man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    entj
    he cannot be ENTj
    he cannot be this type I say!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    huh???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    entj
    he cannot be ENTj
    ENTj never can he be
    How about we make him ENTp?
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool it, people.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    cool it, people.
    Killjoy

Creepy-bg

cool it, people.
    who do think you are, Fonzie?

Ayyyyyyye!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    cool it, people.
    Killjoy
    I"ve been trying.

ooops, you said "killjoy", not... never mind...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    he cannot be ENTj
    ENTj never can he be
    Why? I think sometimes people see entjs as like these out-of-their-mind, Nazi-control freaks. I've never really meet people like that IRL. I don't think "scary" should be something associated with entj. I mean, it's unfair to say that all entjs hate children.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmao. You guys are hilarious.
    Description sounds alpha to me. Alpha SF.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    he cannot be ENTj
    ENTj never can he be
    Why? I think sometimes people see entjs as like these out-of-their-mind, Nazi-control freaks. I've never really meet people like that IRL. I don't think "scary" should be something associated with entj. I mean, it's unfair to say that all entjs hate children.
    "he could be LIE because LIEs do not hate children" is not any sort of justification whatsoever. what suggests that seuss is LIE?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entj
    he cannot be ENTj
    ENTj never can he be
    "he could be LIE because LIEs do not hate children" is not any sort of justification whatsoever. what suggests that seuss is LIE?
    That was in reaction to the, "No, he can ver be entj!" responses.

First, he looks just like Ronald Reagan. Then I see his clear and effective use of words, and lieing them out in a logical manner, dominant Te. "The consistency of his meter was one of his hallmarks; the many imitators and parodists of Seuss are often unable to write in strict anapestic tetrameter, or are unaware that they should, and thus sound clumsy in comparison with the original."
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason I always thought it was bizzare that he did political cartoons:

Also his "adult" army training films (well they were adult at the time)
    http://www.archive.org/details/booby_traps

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I see his clear and effective use of words, and lieing them out in a logical manner, dominant Te. "The consistency of his meter was one of his hallmarks; the many imitators and parodists of Seuss are often unable to write in strict anapestic tetrameter, or are unaware that they should, and thus sound clumsy in comparison with the original."
    not really Te. if anything it might suggest rationality. probably has no relation to type whatsoever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably has no relation to type whatsoever.
    Believing that is laregely ignorant. If things like that are not related to type, then what is? Probably is directly related to type.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believing that is laregely ignorant. If things like that are not related to type, then what is? Probably is directly related to type.
    this is all just pretty absurd. you're essentially claiming that seuss was an effective writer and wordsmith and had sufficient command of the english language to write effectively in an unusual meter. if this is type related maybe we can analyze the color of his eyebrows as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is all just pretty absurd. you're essentially claiming that seuss was an effective writer and wordsmith and had sufficient command of the english language to write effectively in an unusual meter. if this is type related maybe we can analyze the color of his eyebrows as well.
    Some people are naturally more in command with verbally expressing themselves, and even more in this case, doing so in a regemented fassion, then others. And these traits highly influence how people act and interact with the world, as well as how they organize their thought-process, so it is very much related to "functioning" systems like Jung's. A type with weak Te would never think of writing like that.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I see his clear and effective use of words, and lieing them out in a logical manner, dominant Te. "The consistency of his meter was one of his hallmarks; the many imitators and parodists of Seuss are often unable to write in strict anapestic tetrameter, or are unaware that they should, and thus sound clumsy in comparison with the original."
    not really Te. if anything it might suggest rationality. probably has no relation to type whatsoever.
    Agree on both counts.

Plus, "Clear and effective use of words" could easily be construed as Fe. The factual content is not really central to his writing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this discussion is absurd.

Creepy-bg

an ENTj would never write the Lorax story and the focus of the Sneetches story would be on how nobody was really exploiting them because the Sneetches all wanted the stars on their bellies... the guy with the star machine was merely providing a service that everybody was profiting by :wink:

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an ENTj would never write the Lorax story and the focus of the Sneetches story would be on how nobody was really exploiting them because the Sneetches all wanted the stars on their bellies... the guy with the star machine was merely providing a service that everybody was profiting by :wink:
    Why not?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Creepy-bg

the whole point of both stories was the evils of capitalism and how it exploits the land and the people... I just can't see an ENTj caring about those things... or moreso they'd come up with some cold reason why it isn't really exploitation because everybody's profiting Seus's take on it was negative towards the exploiters and showed how their mindsets were destroying both the forest and the perfect society the Sneetches had.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the whole point of both stories was the evils of capitalism and how it exploits the land and the people... I just can't see an ENTj caring about those things... or moreso they'd come up with some cold reason why it isn't really exploitation but is good for all involved
    !!!!!!?????!??!?!??!!??!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? !??!?!?!??!??!????!?!?!?!?!?!

Creepy-bg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    No, this is absurd.
    No, this is wonderful. Head protection for all!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I think we all can agree, that Theodor Geisel was ENFP. It makes complete sense. No wonder I relate so well to his stories.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Seuss
    http://www.nea.org/readacross/resour...biography.html

A person's a person, no matter how small," Theodor Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, would say. "Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted."

Brilliant, playful, and always respectful of children, Dr. Seuss charmed his way into the consciousness of four generations of youngsters and parents. In the process, he helped millions of kids learn to read.
    In May of 1954, Life published a report on illiteracy among schoolchildren, suggesting that children were having trouble reading because their books were boring. This problem inspired Geisel's publisher, prompting him to send Geisel a list of 400 words he felt were important for children to learn. The publisher asked Geisel to cut the list to 250 words and use them to write an entertaining children's book. Nine months later, Geisel, using 220 of the words given to him, published The Cat in the Hat, which brought instant success.
    The consistency of his meter was one of his hallmarks; the many imitators and parodists of Seuss are often unable to write in strict anapestic tetrameter, or are unaware that they should, and thus sound clumsy in comparison with the original.
    Artwork

Seuss evidently enjoyed drawing architecturally elaborate objects. His endlessly varied (but never rectilinear) palaces, ramps, platforms, and free-standing stairways are among his most evocative creations. Seuss also drew elaborate imaginary machines, of which the Audio-Telly-O-Tally-O-Count, from Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book, is one example. Seuss also liked drawing outlandish arrangements of feathers or fur, for example, the 500th hat of Bartholomew Cubbins, the tail of Gertrude McFuzz, and the pet for girls who like to brush and comb, in One Fish Two Fish.

Seuss's images often convey motion vividly. He was fond of a sort of "voilą" gesture, in which the hand flips outward, spreading the fingers slightly backward with the thumb up; this is done by Ish, for instance, in One Fish Two Fish when he creates fish (who perform the gesture themselves with their fins), in the introduction of the various acts of If I Ran the Circus, and in the introduction of the Little Cats in The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. He was also fond of drawing hands with interlocked fingers, which looked as though the character was twiddling their thumbs.

Seuss also follows the cartoon tradition of showing motion with lines, for instance in the sweeping lines that accompany Sneelock's final dive in If I Ran the Circus. Cartoonist's lines are also used to illustrate the action of the senses (sight, smell, and hearing) in The Big Brag and even of thought, as in the moment when the Grinch conceives his awful idea.
    Everything about him seems Alpha. Si >>>>>> Se.

I might even say ESFj.
    ESFJ or ENTJ I think.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V.I.'s IEE-Ne at least in the lower picture.

The racism he held earlier in his life (but later repudiated) was kind of IEE-Ne.

I realize that he kind of had Alpha values of creativity, but IEE-Ne seems more likely to me. I didn't really like his work all that much even though it was read to me when I was a kid.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 04-24-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    When I saw this picture I immediately thought he looks a lot like Walt Disney, without knowing who is he, interesting that they both had similar interests. CSM (children's stories maker) type by VI . They're probably the same type, Dr Seuss with more introverted subtype. H-ESE?

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post

The racism he held earlier in his life (but later repudiated) was kind of IEE-Ne.

I realize that he kind of had Alpha SF values of creativity, but IEE-Ne seems more likely to me. I didn't really like his work all that much even though it was read to me when I was a kid.
    I tentatively agree with IEE.