Thread: Socionics and excercise

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics and excercise

I read an article about physchology and the gym. It said that cholerics (EP temperament) should do 5-6 repeats with heavy weights, because they will lose concentration quickly and may injure themselves if they do very long sets of excercises. Phlegmatics (IJ) should in stead do low weights 10-15 repeats, because otherwise their muscle won't reach their peak.

So I was wondering... Has anyone noticed anything like that?

As for me, I can barely ride the stationary bicycle 15 minutes, because I get bored, "How long do I have to do this before I get to the real stuff?! ". Then I try to compensate by riding faster and then I get tired. I'm also too impatient for group training - I start looking at the clock 20 minutes after the beginning. In the gym, I usually do 15 repeats, 6-8 repeats is only for new weights, never below that. Seems like I generally fit the phlegmatic pattern, but with one difference - I get bored the moment I'm not feeling the muscle tention and I spice it up by adding weights, even in the middle of the set. That's because I went to the gym to get results, not to waste time. All or nothing!
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stationary things bore me, so I have a hard time doing those too. Except rowing machines for the most part.

Best way for me to excersise is to hide the fact its exersise. Scenic bike rides, swimming, hula hooping to music, kayaking/canoeing/etc, stuff where you're actually going somewhere I suppose, or have masked it with another enjoyable activity.

I love the gym though, really. It's just I work better in one if I have someone scheudaling my work-out, rather then doing it on my own. It's one thing I actually DO liked planned FOR me.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EP aren't cholerics! Moreover I think that it's safe to say that 5-6 reps occupy circa 30-40 seconds, and I am sure that the attention span of an EP lasts at least 2 minutes! In fact I know many EP cyclists.

In any case I generally don't go up 8 reps, waste of time imho. Also when it's summer time I don't do weights almost anymore, unless it's rainy.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Socionics and excercise

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    I read an article about physchology and the gym. It said that cholerics (EP temperament) should do 5-6 repeats with heavy weights, because they will lose concentration quickly and may injure themselves if they do very long sets of excercises. Phlegmatics (IJ) should in stead do low weights 10-15 repeats, because otherwise their muscle won't reach their peak.

As for me, I can barely ride the stationary bicycle 15 minutes, because I get bored, "How long do I have to do this before I get to the real stuff?! ". Then I try to compensate by riding faster and then I get tired. I'm also too impatient for group training - I start looking at the clock 20 minutes after the beginning. In the gym, I usually do 15 repeats, 6-8 repeats is only for new weights, never below that. Seems like I generally fit the phlegmatic pattern, but with one difference - I get bored the moment I'm not feeling the muscle tention and I spice it up by adding weights, even in the middle of the set. That's because I went to the gym to get results, not to waste time. All or nothing!
    The only way working out worked for me (that is, I kept up a routine for longer than a couple weeks) was when I was using some sort of cross trainer thing. I'd listen to music that made me feel like running and run 3 miles on my lunch break. The machine would get bitchy with me though because it monitors your heart rate and if it gets above 200 bpm the little display screen tells you to slow down and if you don't, it will force you to by increasing the resistance. Booooo. Anyways, I wish you luck. The only weight loss programs that ever worked for me involved going through a break up and/or using stimulants like ephedra or adderall. I just don't have the patience to keep up with a boring work out routine, especially on days when I really just do not feel like going anywhere. *shrugs*
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Socionics and excercise

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina

The only way working out worked for me (that is, I kept up a routine for longer than a couple weeks) was when I was using some sort of cross trainer thing. I'd listen to music that made me feel like running and run 3 miles on my lunch break. The machine would get bitchy with me though because it monitors your heart rate and if it gets above 200 bpm the little display screen tells you to slow down and if you don't, it will force you to by increasing the resistance. Booooo. Anyways, I wish you luck. The only weight loss programs that ever worked for me involved going through a break up and/or using stimulants like ephedra or adderall. I just don't have the patience to keep up with a boring work out routine, especially on days when I really just do not feel like going anywhere. *shrugs*
    Nice list of excuses to cover poor self-control.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever works. People should know their strengths and weaknesses and plan accordingly. Why set yourself up for failure? Or try to force yourself to do something that you hate? Currently what I do is take the dogs for a walk/jog around my neighborhood in the morning... unless it's too cold or I'm hungover or busy. We also take them to a park or an off leash dog park about once a week when it's not too cold. A few times a week when it's really nice out.

If I want to get into an exercise routine for a cardio work out, I should buy some equipment and set up a plan that does not require leaving the house. Even just a jump rope would work. Peter's got one that he uses outside (he's too tall to do it indoors) but his is way too long for me and have weights in the handles so that there's not really a good way of shortening it temporarily. Perhaps one day I'll buy my own.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying that somebody has to be condemned or anything because he/she doesn't want to workout; however I don't think it's particularly good to say that it's due to the "boringness" of the workout etc.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are ways of making it less boring, like listening to music.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god you'd think everyone in the state had a .0002 second attention span if you went to the gym i go to. there are like little headset things on all the bikes/machines and you can basically plug your headphones in and watch t.v. while you work out. it's sort of silly? like why do you have to be constantly entertained? i think perhaps people go to gyms expecting working out to be a barrel of monkeys. not to say that my ipod doesn't provide me with tons of entertainment. taking the dogs for a jog in the park wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The machine would get bitchy with me though because it monitors your heart rate and if it gets above 200 bpm the little display screen tells you to slow down and if you don't, it will force you to by increasing the resistance.
    hah! i love this option, actually. it helps me stay within a target range and at least know that i'm doing something.

at any rate i have good luck with cardio type stuff and whatever makes me bounce around and move a lot. it's a refreshing jolt, and i'd be lazier than i am already if i weren't doing it. i have tried lifting a bit and should probably do this more often. i am just laughable at the gym, generally, because i'm tiny.

i would forget to work out and such though if i didn't have a) anyone else around who was interested in it or b) some other motivation.

@ kristiina. i remember when you posted this article. it was from an estonian journal, right? however, i think it was lost in the board crash. do you still have it?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think at this point in my life I'm too shy to work out in public. Doing so creates a risk of someone trying to talk to me.
    SEE

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't do anything nearly as much as i should.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think at this point in my life I'm too shy to work out in public. Doing so creates a risk of someone trying to talk to me.
    But where in hell do you people live...here italy is the earth of the horniez, but nobody would ever dare approach a girl that is running

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, if I'm running with my dogs I'm totally safe. I'm safer than I would be if I was a master of 7 martial arts and carried a gun. I was referring to going to a gym.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ephedra or adderall are not good ways, nor acceptable health-wise, to lose weight.

it will kill you, faster that is...
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

faster than what?
    SEE

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although it is possible that psychological types do have an affect on how people work-out and their routines, diet, etc., the gym article you mention seems like a simplification of Hippocratic tempermants. I don't know if we can really equate that gym article's conclusions to any Socionic's tempermants; I haven't seen any evidence of correlation between Hippocratic tempermants, and I highly doubt there is.

Socionics-wise: for myself(INXx), in my past, my work-out routines usually revolved around getting through approximately the first half-hour of the work-out, when after that I would have built up enough effort to continue on for whatever amount of time I set the work-out to be. It was not rare that I stopped or took a break when I felt my body becomming too invigorated with pain. I hardly ever properly warmed up or cooled down. I usually focused upon cardio, and would usually only strength-train using non-machine or non-weight assited excersices. I sometimes would strain myself, and then proceed not to work out for several days, often going in between periods of activity and in-activity. I exercised mostly under the guise of health, but my actual reasons were more short-sighted(not looking fat). Currently, I haven't exercised in months, even though I really should.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    @ kristiina. i remember when you posted this article. it was from an Estonian journal, right? however, i think it was lost in the board crash. do you still have it?
    The recent article was in an Estonian journal and I haven't posted it before. I think you are referring to this: http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...t=temperaments

Work-out has to be pleasant. I don't like excercise, but I LOVE reaching goals. And this is why weight-lifting is great. Results guaranteed! It is difficult NOT to improve your resaults in weight-lifting.

Alphas seem to develop slower physically. That's because they pick pleasant weigts. Me and Erkki both like and we really put our bodies on test with the heaviest possible weigts. "I can do it, I can do it!", while the INTj and ENTp don't like the pain and they don't choose "too heavy" weights.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

faster than what?

faster than if you didn't use them...

you could really die at anytime, but you do have a certain amount of control over when you die. a very small percentage of control...but a little...
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of other variables though, too... Adderall is a medication after all, and does provide benefits.

One of these benefits is that I don't drive as fast. I'm not sure I understand why, but when I'm on ADD meds I tend to catch myself driving 5 mph under the speed limit... Before I was on ADD meds and when I'm not taking ADD meds, I tend to catch myself driving 15 or 20 mph over the speed limit. So which would kill me faster, taking a reasonable amount of a prescribed stimulant medication, or getting into a car accident at 80 mph?

Another benefit can be weight loss for some. Granted, I'm not overweight and wouldn't be without ADD meds, but being closer to one's ideal weight (as long as they're not under it) is surely healthier than being overweight.

Another benefit is being able to function better both at work and in life in general. If one's quality of living is higher, they're happier and will make better decisions and whatnot, as opposed to being constantly stressed out just trying to keep their life together and stay on top of their work and other responsibilities. That's gotta be better for one's health as well.

If you consider all of the other forms of self-medication people engage in, such as gambling, reckless driving, smoking, irresponsible sexual behavior, picking fights, substance abuse, etc. I think it's safe to say that medicating ADD is generally a good thing.

The ephedra did essentially the same thing for me that adderall does, btw, though it's not as safe as taking adderall properly.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of other variables though, too... Adderall is a medication after all, and does provide benefits.

One of these benefits is that I don't drive as fast. I'm not sure I understand why, but when I'm on ADD meds I tend to catch myself driving 5 mph under the speed limit... Before I was on ADD meds and when I'm not taking ADD meds, I tend to catch myself driving 15 or 20 mph over the speed limit. So which would kill me faster, taking a reasonable amount of a prescribed stimulant medication, or getting into a car accident at 80 mph?

Another benefit can be weight loss for some. Granted, I'm not overweight and wouldn't be without ADD meds, but being closer to one's ideal weight (as long as they're not under it) is surely healthier than being overweight.

Another benefit is being able to function better both at work and in life in general. If one's quality of living is higher, they're happier and will make better decisions and whatnot, as opposed to being constantly stressed out just trying to keep their life together and stay on top of their work and other responsibilities. That's gotta be better for one's health as well.

If you consider all of the other forms of self-medication people engage in, such as gambling, reckless driving, smoking, irresponsible sexual behavior, picking fights, substance abuse, etc. I think it's safe to say that medicating ADD is generally a good thing.

The ephedra did essentially the same thing for me that adderall does, btw, though it's not as safe as taking adderall properly.
    as far as im concerned taking adderall is substance abuse and is just hurting your body in the long run, as well as your mind. it alters your mind in tremendous ways, which is why i have a hard time with giving it to children. my brother for instance, obviously needed something...but i think the solution was more attention, not meds.

The only ADD medication I accept as "a good thing" is Strattera.

I admit, I felt awesome when I was on it. But I fucked over a lot of relationships and my mind is damaged, as well as my body because of it.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every brain is different. Let's not hijack Kristiina's thread.
    SEE