Thread: Jung analyzing Hegel

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jung analyzing Hegel

A philosophy like Hegel's is a self-revelation of the psychic background and, philosophically, a presumption. Psychologically it amounts to an invasion by the Unconscious. The peculiar, high-flown language Hegel uses bears out this view -- it is reminiscent of the megalomaniac language of schizophrenics, who use terrific, spellbinding words to reduce the transcendent to subjective form, to give banalities the charm of novelty, or pass off commonplaces as searching wisdom. So bombastic a terminology is a symptom of weakness, ineptitude, and lack of substance."

– Carl G. Jung, On the Nature of the Psyche, 1928
    Is this Jung analyzing Hegel's psychology, or is it Jung psychologizing Hegel's analyses..?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've talked about the relationship of the transcendental function to psychopathology before. Jung seems to be acknowledging what appears to be an instinctual "liberal" awareness of this relation in his analysis here. (or is it E/I-T/F...?)

As to whether he is psychologizing or analyzing...? It doesn't seem to me to make a difference. One leads to the other. Put it this way: what is it that seperates you from Jung? Answer that question, and you'll understand what to make of the master-slave relation.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FDG seems to believe that irrational types look for action, or information exertion, as an indicator of behavior, and rationals look to processing/information metabolism. (now I may be wrong about this assertion of FDG's opinion, but that's what it seems like to me)

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.crystalinks.com/jung.html

It is clear that this experience created the framework in which later the collective unconscious would take a prominent place. He [Jung] described it as such: "The collective unconscious is common to all: it is the foundation of what the ancients called the sympathy of all things. It is through the medium of the collective unconscious that information about a particular time and place can be transferred to another individual mind."
    This seems to me the strongest argument yet in favor of the collective unconscious as an apperception of evolving . ( IM, IE)

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to say, right out, that I believe labcoat's "metabolism is the world you perceive, exertion is how that world works" assessment of the relationship between IM and IE is the best way to describe the theory to individual people, and I will be using it in the future for that very purpose. Indeed, his view has recolored my own perspective on the theory.