Thread: Types and Handling Money/Finances

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Shees. I thought I was bad but I could never throw away money that was needed to pay the bills.
    How long have you lived outside your parents' house?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been quite good with money. Always paid the bills on time and all that good stuff. I'll be extremely cheap with everyday matters such as food and things of that nature but tend to get impulsive and end up throwing it away on a big purchase I 'have to have' for that moment. Was ready to throw down for a BMW today just cuz i wanted it. Good thing that feeling passed.

Does it make sense I'd pay 30k for a car and not $3.00 for shampoo?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been quite good with money. Always paid the bills on time and all that good stuff. I'll be extremely cheap with everyday matters such as food and things of that nature but tend to get impulsive and end up throwing it away on a big purchase I 'have to have' for that moment. Was ready to throw down for a BMW today just cuz i wanted it. Good thing that feeling passed.

Nope lol. An expensive car is a shockingly bad investment.

I tend to never have enough clothes. I hate shopping with a passion. Since i hate shopping i never go out and buy much new stuff which is great. My weakness is food and not looking for specials. I will go to the service station and pay $3.40 for an iced coffee when i could go to a supermarket and spend $2.60. Im also pretty happy to go to a restaurant and get an expensive porterhouse steak instead of a snitzel etc..

My dads a prime example of penny pinching. He has been thinking about buying an MP3 player for about 4 months. He keeps looking up and comparing them etc. So he borrowed his sisters IRiver and thought it was great. Anyway i warned him that if he buys a cheap one it could sound crap / may not have features. He came home yesterday with an Mp3 player. He got it on special for $85.00 which is damn cheap. Anyway last night he was getting sad with it as the menus and layout were just terrible we couldn't work out how to select another folder. My mum and i were biting our tounges.

He said he looked this one up and the internet said it was a bit of a cheap shitty one. He decided though that they were talking about the 1 gig version and he was getting the 2 gig so it must be more advanced........ sigh
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Shees. I thought I was bad but I could never throw away money that was needed to pay the bills.
    How long have you lived outside your parents' house?
    Well never, but I have some bills I have to pay myself. However, you're right, I cannot know util I have experienced?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129

yeah. heh, you remind me of my ISTp friends.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    awwwwwwwwww look at the duals... how cute!

I'm high... I probably wouldn't be good for Blaze
    i thought you are infj, too. my supervisor....heh heh.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8

they've decided I'm not... (actually me and Gilligan decided that months ago...) either way I'm good with it

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they've decided I'm not... (actually me and Gilligan decided that months ago...) either way I'm good with it
    so now what's your type?

ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did extremely poorly with any sort of bank account or check card / credit card, so once I lost my checking account due to not paying too many overdraft fees, I had to try a new approach. For the past 2 years, I've worked only with cash. I am doing much better now although it's a pain to get money orders all the time. I find that I am more able to save. I kind of even forget that I have the cash sometimes, which is a very good feeling. I cannot stand thinking about money. It makes me depressed because there is no escape from it. If there were someone in my life who was willing to deal with my finances without being condescending, I'd let them. My mother was always trying to "help" me when I was younger, but she made me angry because she acted like I didn't know how to do it (when it was actually more that I couldn't bear to think about it or face opening bills or bank statements). Although I have never liked spending a lot, I have had the tendency to live in either feast or famine in almost every area. And although I am not normally one to give gifts, I will sometimes suddenly feel overly generous and give an expensive gift to someone when I really don't have enough money to buy it. Or I have it, but using the money will mean no groceries or playtime for weeks.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Creepy-bg

so now what's your type?
    I don't know

(ISFp probably)

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really like talking about money. Actually, I don't really like dealing with money at all. If someone is willing and happy to take care of all that type of stuff for me (competently, of course - I'd need to trust them to know what they're doing), I'd be very grateful and consider them a very wonderful person indeed.

Generally, since I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm pretty cautious, usually sticking to the "spending must be less than or equal to income" idea (although, things get complicated when income is really small). When in charge of a budget, I'm either very lax about recording and tracking details, or very thorough. It usually depends on how focussed I am, if I've made it a priority, and if I happen to be remembering that it's important to think about these things. Actually, I'm much more careful with other people's money than my own, though I don't spend a lot of my own money, either.

Not exactly sure how that ties into my type, except that it probably indicates a need for a dual's functions, likely .

Talking about finances is a bit embarrassing to me, because it highlights a good many of my weaknesses.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so now what's your type?
    I don't know

(ISFp probably)
    omg an isfp who actually posts on 16types? what the hell are the chances of that?? haha.

ILE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg an isfp who actually posts on 16types? what the hell are the chances of that?? haha.
    Roughly 5% (probably lower).

Anyway, my INTp brother is incredibly stingy, but then wastes his money, mainly on food. Why would you spend money on temporary things, especially when someone else can pay for you? I think this reflects not so much weak Te as stupidity.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an XSI-Xi, and I've pretty much always spent my money when I wanted something; I more or less break even from pay to pay (some months I go into a little bit of debt, other months i have a small surplus), without intending to do either. I've never been good at saving, I love beautiful, rare things, I have very poor planning ability and I don't really see the point in saving when anything could happen and when there is probably some way out of paying bills (or at least a portion of them) that I don't want to. Occasionally, I'll try to find something less expensive, and I know that expensive isn't always better--there are times when, say, expensive Bose headphones sound terrible compared to more medium priced but high end Sony headphones, but more expensive is usually better... just not always.

If I were within VERY limited funds, I would do a few comparisons and as a percentage of the money I have and look at interest rates, see where I could get free good things, and see what debt I could cancel within reason without any consequences to myself. My EIE-Fe dad doesn't do that, he was great at making money and he just hoarded it and wanted cheaper things except for food and alcohol... because of that stupidity, I had no problem demanding more money from him all the damn time; I think the intuitive subtype is more appreciate of luxury and more willing to spend, but even then they can be pretty frugal and not as good with money and buying beautiful things as ILE-Ti are. He was pretty risk averse. My mom was more moderate in terms of risk, but I figure just spending the money is the best idea unless the product I buy has a high probability of harming me in some way.

To me, a $45 item vs a $50 item isn't much difference in money, and the money saved most likely wouldn't really add-up to better purchases, at least not with me due to my limited planning ability. I'd buy something used if it were $25 used and say 45 or more new, partly because I don't like the feeling of getting ripped off. But I'd want to make sure the used version was in good condition, wasn't missing anything I wanted.

Bottom line: I'm going to try not to die with a surplus, that's ridiculous to die with a surplus and live that frugally IMO.

Bottom line 2: What Blaze said about ILE-Ti is pretty accurate. LSI-Se vary, some are more similar to ILE-Ti, others are more frugal. LIE-Ni tend to spend their money quite a bit, especially on food... they're much better at improvising and are less worried about going bankrupt than EIE-Fe are.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 09-18-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something I literally never want to think about unless I found out I won a lot of money or I got a huge raise.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monopoly pelts of distracted chance milestones of Carbonite cornucopia pink skies and blue sun shows that instantly and impulsively, spontaneously getting thrilled and excited about our new chases a penguin into air headed escalators through every floor of the mall to barricaded sanseis showing that being a sensor is how you go unreleased!!
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

better than some might think. I do have Te polr but ime a lot of money stuff is Ti and also Ni which I'm not too shabby in and Ni which I'm pretty excellent in... so I say I use those two functions to handle it. I say with Te polr though.... I'm not paying good enough attention to how it all changes at times.

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    SLE-Se
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    This is something I literally never want to think about unless I found out I won a lot of money or I got a huge raise.
    WTF? You didn't actually ressurect this thread? That's a first!

Ok, joking side yeah I try to manage my money good enough not to get into debt. Not as reckless as my ESE Mom, and not as frugal as my LIE Dad.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD View Post
    WTF? ........ Not as reckless as my ESE Mom, and not as frugal as my LIE Dad.
    I'm interested in super-ego relationships. How was your parents' relationship with respect to finances and coming to agreements on important issues?

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been meaning to comment on this one.

I am maybe not that great. I’m terrible at saving money. Anytime I get money, especially a large amount, it’s like ‘poof’ and it’s gone in a few days. Definitely not a saver. I also hate spending money on food as I see it as short term and would rather buy clothes or something with it.

Also I am terrible at keeping track of the bills. I’m supposed to keep track of the water and electric bill. They have come and shut them off before and my husband had to pay extra to get it tuned back on because I ‘forgot’ about it. He gets so pissed about that l. Or I tell him a few days before it’s due. Or, guess what, dear, the electric bill is due tomorrow!!! Yeah. He gets really mad. I mean I tell him a week before and he says ok and forgets. If I keep reminding him he gets pissy. So I really don’t have much of a choice. It’s like it’s due tomorrow so now you have to do something.

Give me a 20$ and I have to spend it. It’s like a compulsion. As you can imagine, I’m usually broke.

My SLE husband isn’t a saver either. He also hates buying food, but will spend and buy better things than me. When he gets paid, he likes buying big things with it like machinery, cars, guns, planes… and sometimes he flips them, or if we need the money he sells things and later buys something else, usually something better. But yeah I can’t see us ever being able to save for retirement. He’s better at picking things out, whether it’s the right value for the money, a good investment, than me. He saves a bit better. Just a bit. But we have a lot of money for a short time and it’s like we are broke again I’ve learned to just deal with the highs and lows. If we are broke and we have to make a payment we have enough things we could sell to get the money, so it’s stressful but not too stressful since it’s stuff to fall back on.

My husband is self employed and so was my dad. When you do the things they do, you never know how much you are going to make in a month or a year or the next time you are getting paid, or even if they will pay you, so you have to learn how to deal with all this by learning to spot people who will likely not pay you, for one. And learning to cope with or how to deal with having little to no money and how to make money out of nothing lol. You have to learn to be resourceful and think ahead
    or you could find yourself in a bad spot. For example, my ILI dad will way over quote people on a job that he gets the feeling the person won’t pay him.
    Last edited by Aster; 09-23-2021 at 02:16 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think how well you handle money has more to do with instinctual stacking than type. My ILE sister is so/sx and she is perpetually broke. Like, she wouldn't survive(jk) the month without her IEI bf helping her out from time to time. She's been 'working and saving' for one year to pay her tuition but apparently not much is left from the 'savings', now that she's starting uni.

I keep track of my monthly expenses, use a budgeting app. I'd like to find a job where I can save up around 1K per month to catch up financially with my peers and achieve my goal to buy my own place someday. I manage money in broad strokes, and I don't like having to deal with details like paying bills, managing paperwork, it gets me bored and frustrated. I love to find discounts tho.

I like getting money and I'm pretty stingy lol. I'm also super lazy and have low material standards, meaning I don't like having to go to stores for shopping, I don't like nice new clothes or to eat out or to cook. So my expenses are naturally low. 1D Si is also OK with eating ramen the whole week if needed. Since I'm kinda ascetic, I'd rather not work and live modestly on social welfare than to have to work to afford a crazy lifestyle. I have a soft spot for travel and cinema though.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I try to basically do a little upfront work every now and then (roughly every 6 months or when I feel like I'm becoming out of touch) so that I don't have to worry about my budget for the rest of the time. I don't go into debt I can't pay off whenever I feel like. I'd say I'm good with my money, but sometimes things will pop up that annoy me that I will have to plan around.

My money situation being under control is very important to me because I see it as my main defense against total chaos and discomfort. I've lived on 2k a year and don't want to repeat it. My spending is balanced. Sometimes I go weeks without buying anything but groceries and gas, sometimes I splurge. My life is pretty comfortable, by design and effort.
    Last edited by ouronis; 10-02-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My money comes and goes and rolls and flows through the holes of the pockets of my clothes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm okay with saving money, managing a household and being thrifty. I'm resourceful when it comes to things like that, partly because of my upbringing and the other being that I can be quite stingy with my savings. I have this fear of running out of money and appearing like I don't have my shit together. So. I guess I can take on a lot more than I should and end up overworking myself to death as well as taking care of relatives here and there. But it comes from a place of love

But I'm okay with spending a little extra on something that you will only get once on a lifetime, or even something like food. You should always treat yourself to nice things

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX View Post
    I wonder if these stereotypes in the descriptions are accurate and reliable.
    In order to know that, one must be able to type accurately and reliably…which is impossible at this time. There is no solid answer to this.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like knowing how much I have and how much I spend at any given point in time. I am not a stickler for numbers and statistics, but I keep track of my spending and my savings so I can make predictions and plan ahead. I do quick calculations in my head before I spend—or consider spending—any money, be it $10 or $10k, so I have a pretty good idea of how much that would set me back relative to how much I have or normally spend and how long it will take me to earn it back. Managing recurring living expenses and such comes very easy to me. All in all, I would say I am rational with money, but would sometimes allow myself to splurge a little bit, or take a chance on something on the off-chance of winning back more. However, this happens very rarely and it never gets out of control.

Oh, and I never spend more than I have. I hate debt with a passion and would rather have a stash buried somewhere than have to go to a bank or other people in an emergency. I ain't borrowing nor paying interest to anyone for anything, unless really hard pressed. Similarly, I never lend anyone any money unless I really want to and can make peace with giving it away.

I type myself SLI, though there is probably a case for LII to be made, depending on who's interpretation of Socionics you go by.
    Last edited by Park; 10-18-2021 at 01:59 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ExFx (don't type me)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am the ABSOLUTE WORST with money! I spend it like the rich person that I'm not, so investing is definitely not an option right now.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I handle money quite well.

You don't spend more than you need.

That's it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate, at least moderately, to basically everything about IEI descriptions, but the financial aspect is the one thing I really don't relate to that strongly. I suspect it's partly because of how much my family stressed financial caution to me, and partly because I'm the Fe/Contact subtype which I have heard doesn't struggle with Te to the extent that the Ni/Inert subtype does.

Admittedly, I'm not great with money, and I dislike thinking about it, but I also have a pretty strong "that's enough" filter when it comes to spending. I don't really budget and have never made a spreadsheet for managing my money or anything like that, but I'm pretty good about simply not buying too much I think. I wait quite a long time between large purchases, and spend way way less money than I actually could. I also casually invest in various things when the fancy strikes me, and it's paid off pretty well a few times. I don't take it seriously, I don't really know what I'm doing, and to be honest I don't really care. I just know that investing is the same as gambling, but without the odds stacked against you intentionally, and that's how I treat it; gambling that I'm more likely to win lol

Anyways, I've done pretty well with managing my money so far, but it's still definitely a weak point for me. I'm just not as completely helpless as most of the descriptions make it sound like IEIs are
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I had just forty to sixty percent more money, I’d be set.

I think everyone feels that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12