Thread: A slightly different challenge

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A slightly different challenge

Here is a description of one person made by another. The describer doesn't know socionics or probably MBTI, either, though they've been exposed to the practice of psychology. The challenge here is to determine the writer's type. For bonus points and if the first challenge is too hard, figure out the subject's type, too. But most of all I want to see how much of the writer shows through.

In the beginning you are introverted because you like to observe from a distance before engaging in any situation. Once you've engaged then things are different, but not by much. You are still taking things slow, but when approached by someone then you are very forthcoming about yourself. When conversation begins you are soft spoken and are choosy with your words. Personally I believe that these characteristics are good defense methods. It allows you to keep a safe distance and put one foot in and always have that other foot that never entered. I think that you want to be sure of things, but constantly second guess yourself, which can provide a lot of stress because you leave yourself wondering "what else". You're very persistent once you begin to get involved with something. It's like suddenly your guard comes down and you forge ahead still aware of the surroundings, but now not as much. I think that you stress about stressing. In other words: all is done, but once that happens then you are not satisfied. The question then arises "what else, that can't be everything". I think that there is a lot of curiosity about "what if" scenarios that you probably try to play out in your mind. I think that you want to come across as a complicated person so someone won't see what an open book you are.

If I may you're a good dreamer and a bad liar. I think that you have tried to lie before and... well it doesn't suit you. You are a genuine person no matter how it may come across. I wonder it you question yourself on who you are. I think that you feel you have a pretty good grasp on who you are, but when you enter into foreign situations then.. well there is something that you thought you knew, but now which way is up. You have an innocence that covers a means streak that I'm sure you let out on certain occasions, but your preference is to let people believe that you are sweet. That would be a way of hiding a part of who you are.
    I would appreciate your opinions!
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A slightly different challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    Here is a description of one person made by another. The describer doesn't know socionics or probably MBTI, either, though they've been exposed to the practice of psychology. The challenge here is to determine the writer's type. For bonus points and if the first challenge is too hard, figure out the subject's type, too. But most of all I want to see how much of the writer shows through.

In the beginning you are introverted because you like to observe from a distance before engaging in any situation. Once you've engaged then things are different, but not by much. You are still taking things slow, but when approached by someone then you are very forthcoming about yourself. When conversation begins you are soft spoken and are choosy with your words. Personally I believe that these characteristics are good defense methods. It allows you to keep a safe distance and put one foot in and always have that other foot that never entered. I think that you want to be sure of things, but constantly second guess yourself, which can provide a lot of stress because you leave yourself wondering "what else". You're very persistent once you begin to get involved with something. It's like suddenly your guard comes down and you forge ahead still aware of the surroundings, but now not as much. I think that you stress about stressing. In other words: all is done, but once that happens then you are not satisfied. The question then arises "what else, that can't be everything". I think that there is a lot of curiosity about "what if" scenarios that you probably try to play out in your mind. I think that you want to come across as a complicated person so someone won't see what an open book you are.

If I may you're a good dreamer and a bad liar. I think that you have tried to lie before and... well it doesn't suit you. You are a genuine person no matter how it may come across. I wonder it you question yourself on who you are. I think that you feel you have a pretty good grasp on who you are, but when you enter into foreign situations then.. well there is something that you thought you knew, but now which way is up. You have an innocence that covers a means streak that I'm sure you let out on certain occasions, but your preference is to let people believe that you are sweet. That would be a way of hiding a part of who you are.
    I would appreciate your opinions!
    On first read, it reads kind of like a cold reading.
    I'll have to spend some time rereading it though.

On a side note the bolded part bugs me. Can't a person be both an open book AND complicated? Wouldn't someone who IS an open book show complexity BECAUSE they are opening up all the complicated material to the reader/listener instead of simplifying it and leaving parts hidden? Also, it kind of reads as a put down of some kind. As if the person being described is being described as trying to be something they're not.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writer: Ethical type. That's about all I can deduce. [the description wasn't really objective -- a lot of speculating on what is really going on in the person's inner life behind the observations of behavior.]

Subject: Weak Ni, likely INFj.
    IEI subtype

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with vague.

The writer is also not likely a ego type, so no Gamma SF.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, guys, I'll do my usual thing and ask you to explain how you got to your conclusions. For example, what parts demonstrated weak ? Or non-ego ?

And, Ann, that's pretty much the same type of reaction I had, especially about the bolded part.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll let vague answer for the bit, because I'm not so sure of that.

As for : the person "writing" is very careful, with full of "softening" words like "if I may" etc -- and, also, the person has a very good understanding, I think, of a non- person's point of view. Now of course it can also be, say, an ISFj who makes a point of being polite and who does understands weak-Se people, but that wouldn't be my first guess.

I would also guess that the writer is rather than , since s/he seems to presume a lot of motivations on the subject's behavior, but it could also be a dominant.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think there's enough information here to come up with the writer's type. expat's and vague's suggestion that the he/she is not an Se type make sense. the idea that she is ethical would make sense in that the writer does seem to display the certain fickleness of Fe types, but i see nothing to particularly suggest Fi. as what amounts to a guess, i would say ESE, but almost any type is possible for the writer.

the subject's type is introverted and intuitive. based on exactly what the author says, EII would be the best guess, but given the writer's lack of emphasis on socionics and lack of particular attention towards sociionics concepts, there is not much to work with. the writer also discusses what he/she imagines about the subject (ie "I think there is a lot of curiosity about 'what if' scenarios that might play out in your mind;" a conclusion like this, based simply on something as mundane as the subject's detached expression, might be completely erroneous.) this being said, i would say that the most likely types are EII and then IEI.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, all. I knew it was a bit of a difficult challenge, since there's not really much to go off of, but nonetheless your replies have given me more to think about.