View Poll Results: Steven Patrick Morrissey's type?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

0 0%
  • EIE (ENFj)

4 50.00%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

2 25.00%
  • IEE (ENFp)

1 12.50%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

1 12.50%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Patrick Morrissey

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steven Patrick Morrissey

OK I've seen him called INFj and ENFp. I'm a fan and I want to know!

I want a more definitive answer.

quotes:

That's why I do this music business thing, it's communication with people without having the extreme inconvenience of actually phoning anybody up.

I never enjoyed life in my twenties, not one minute of it. It was a test of endurance that I'm surprised I survived. Professionally, of course, I was doing very well but personally it couldn't have been worse or more difficult for me if I'd been living in a mud hut in Leeds.

When you’re a teenager and in your early twenties it seems desperately eternal and excruciatingly painful. Whereas as you grow older you realise that most things are excruciatingly painful and that is the human condition. Most of us continue to survive because we’re convinced that somewhere along the line, with grit and determination and perseverance, we will end up in some magical union with somebody. It’s a fallacy, of course, but it’s a form of religion. You have to believe. There is a light that never goes out and it’s called hope.

Well, I think the way you feel as a teenager stays with you, forever. I really believe that. And we try to change and we hope that we change, but we don't really in big ways, in serious ways. I think the personality is formed at that time, for the good and for the bad. … We all want to grow up and move on and appear to be different to people. And we want people to see us in a different way. But, I don't know, I think the personality is very, very strongly cemented, and we just bear whatever shortcomings we have and learn to live with it.

I was quite advanced when I was at school, and when I left school it seemed that all these really oafish clods from school were making tremendous progress and had wonderfully large cars and lots of money, and I seemed to be constantly waiting for a bus that never came.

When The Smiths began it was very important that I wouldn't be that horrible, stupid, sloppy Steven. He would have to be locked in a box and put on top of the wardrobe. l needed to feel differently and rather than adopt some glamorous pop star name, I eradicated Steven which seemed to make perfect sense. Suddenly I was a totally different person. Now when I meet pre-Smith people who call me Steven, I sit there and wonder who they're talking about. I always despised the name Steven, though being spelt with a 'v' rather than a 'ph' made life slightly more tolerable. But it was very important that Steven be drowned nonetheless.

I'm bereft of spiritual solutions. I do believe that there has to be a better world, but that's rather simple. I'm quite obsessed with death. I've gone through periods of intense envy for people who've died. Yes, I have a dramatic unswayable unavoidable obsession with death. I can remember being obsessed with it from the age of eight and I often wondered whether it was quite a natural inbuilt emotion for people who're destined to take their own lives, that they recognise it and begin to study it. If there was a magical beautiful pill that one could take that would retire you from this world, I think I would take it and I suppose that's the extremity of the obsessiveness.

Lots of people make the stage and it can seem very violent and over the top, but it's not really. It's always a kind of gentle ballet.

I say a lot of things I don’t mean.

I don't perform. Seals perform.

I'm cursed with the gift of foresight.

I'm capable of looking on the bright side. I just don't do it very often.

I do maintain that if your hair is wrong, your entire life is wrong.

DK: How often does the seriousness end and the irony begin in your work?
    Morrissey: Many times. I have a grand and endless capacity to find myself slightly ridiculous. I'm not pretending to be some wallowing prophet, for heaven's sake. I think we all have to sit down and look in the mirror and think, What is that absurd monstrosity?

Morrissey: If you cannot impress people simply by being part of the great fat human race, then you really do have to develop other skills. And if you don't impress people by the way you look, then you really do have to develop other skills. And if you are now going to ask is everything I did just a way to gain some form of attention, well that's not entirely true. It is in a small way, but that's in the very nature of being alive.
    P.M.: Wanting to be loved?
    Morrissey: To be seen, above all else. I wanted to be noticed, and the way I lived and do live has a desperate neurosis about it because of that. All humans need a degree of attention. Some people get it at the right time, when they are 13 or 14, people get loved at the right stages. If this doesn't happen, if the love isn't there, you can quite easily just fade away. … In a sense I always felt that being troubled as a teenager was par for the course. I wasn't sure that I was dramatically unique. I knew other people who were at the time desperate and suicidal. They despised life and detested all other living people. In a way that made me feel a little bit secure. Because I thought, well, maybe I'm not so intense after all. Of course, I was. I despised practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities

Morrissey: I don't have relationships at all. It's out of the question.
    NK: Why?
    Morrissey: Partly because I was always attracted to men or women who were never attracted to me. And I was never attracted to women or men who were attracted to me. So that's the problem. I've never met the right person.

That was the problem with the 'celibate' word because they don't consider for a moment that you'd rather not be, but you just are. I was never a sexual person.

I do think it's possible to go through life and never fall in love, or find someone who loves you.

I left my fingerprints somewhere - that's good enough. I am my own person - that's good enough. I stand my ground - that's good enough.

Age shouldn't affect you. It's just like the size of your shoes - they don't determine how you live your life! You're either marvellous or you're boring, regardless of your age.

Well, I think when I was a child, more than anything else I wanted not to be ordinary. And I wanted to be considered to be a bit peculiar. When I was at school I wanted to be peculiar and I was delighted when I was at secondary school and I was actually thought to be peculiar (laughs). It was fantastically good for me because I looked around me and I thought, 'Well, however you are I don't want to be like you, so if you think I'm unbalanced then I'm delighted.' That really stayed with me.

I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism? The "dazzling royals" have, quite naturally, hi-jacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. It is lethal to witness. As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand, the England outside London shivers beneath cutbacks, tight circumstances and economic disasters. Meanwhile the British media present 24-hour coverage of the "dazzling royals", laughing as they lavishly spend, as if such coverage is certain to make British society feel fully whole. In 2012, the British public is evidently assumed to be undersized pigmies, scarcely able to formulate thought.

Last edited by silke; 07-09-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: updated links
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From this video, clearly EP > IJ.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM you're such an 80's chick, lol. i say enfj.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    From this video, clearly EP > IJ.
    I agree, ENFP in my opinion.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think he's more likely to have a PoLR than a one, though some people might say he exhibits strong :wink: . I think when he threatens violence against people, it's always indirect rather than direct e.g. hoping someone will die in a motorway pile-up. I don't think he's ENFj, but I guess it's difficult to decide - e.g. if he has a song that called You Have Killed Me with lyrics like 'There's no point saying this again, but I forgive you' it could be style exaggerating, or INFj style mocking (in an indirect kind of way).

He's also often called Saint Morrissey (though perhaps sometimes in a tongue in cheek manner), where he's portrayed as a defenceless martyr - INFj descriptions are often like that, though no doubt some will argue that's the Victim mentality.

He's obviously not extroverted in the non-socionics usage of the word - he tries to avoid people as much as possible and is very reclusive more than practically anyone else - but I don't know what to make of that (it doesn't rule out ENFj or ENFp).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enfj.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrissey is Delta NF IMO
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you say that Morrissey is Delta NF? I actually thought that he was ENFj.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tempral
    Why do you say that Morrissey is Delta NF? I actually thought that he was ENFj.

We've talked about him before here. There wasn't a clear conclusion though and as I recall Heath thought he was ENFj too. But I still think he's Delta. Anyway, I don't think he's Gamma.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Morrissey on the One Show

He's definitely EIE, but I'm interested to know the types of the others. I think they're Deltas. Some of the looks on his face, and some of the things he says are just totally in conflict with the interviewers/other interviewee. Especially the first five minutes of the first video. I think they're brilliant.

Creepy-Cyclops

I remember watching a rather in depth documentary about The Smiths on a programme called The South Bank Show. He (Morrisey) drove around in a car with his teenage idol Sandy Shaw, among many other things. He seemed "irl" quite awkward and introverted. Seemed like an IP temperament, probably INFp.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I agree with Ezra's assessment myself, although with Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley, I'm not sure of their types beyond Delta ST for Adrian and Delta NF type for Christine . So I'm no use there. It was a rather cool interview though - it's amazing they managed to get him on the show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Morrissey

Anyone think he is NOT an INFj? SEI a possibility? Hmm...

Youtube:
    SLI

Creepy-bg

I HATE Morrissey

Creepy-bg

If Morrissey didn't suck so bad he'd be Mike Ness from Social Distortion.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by MaliaFee View Post
    Hmm, I don't see the real resemblance personally.

And hating Morrissey doesn't give me a type guess haha...
    k... here's another Social D video anyways to offset the Morrisseyness of this thread

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think it's fairly clear to me now that Morrissey is a Fe-Ego type, I think an ENFj, but INFp was also suggested in a recent thread.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I think it's fairly clear to me now that Morrissey is a Fe-Ego type, I think an ENFj, but INFp was also suggested in a recent thread.
    I agree with this. Beta Beta Beta.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the INFp camp.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Morrisey

Beta, I think. He gives off sort of "cunty" vibes so.....INFj?
    I could see others too like ENFj and INFp etc. etc.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not INFj.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could you be more specific? I can't believe I didn't even get a "lol" from that

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erm, why would you? It wasn't meant to be funny.

Morrissey is an Fe ego type at least. I would guess either ENFj or INFp, but I'm leaning towards ENFj at current because he VIs very similar to an ENFj friend of mine. I pointed out "not INFj" because he is a raging Beta; Deltas are generally not dramatic as he is, nor as ostentatious.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sar View Post
    When sar says he (gender?) didn't even get a lol from that, 'that' refers to the original post, where sar suggested jokingly that this was an INFj. ('so..... INFj? ' - supposed to elicit a lol, but failed to do so.)

He didn't mean that he didn't even get a 'lol' as a result of you (Crow) saying 'Not INFj,' which wasn't meant to be funny.

I'll watch the video and form an opinion.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see lots and lots of Ni . He has Fe in there too, but I find it to be less visible than . He is mostly looking at an image of where things are going in time, without judging it.

i don't try and inflict the way i feel upon other people, because that's quite boring, and people know what meat is, and they know how it gets to the table

if i said 'yes' that would sound like kind of a slur (Ni - consequences), but yes, they are quite traditional

'there has to be some kind of mystical commune between us, some bond, and there is, and as time goes by it gets stronger' (Ni)

how will that be possible financially?

'to make records, to get some vague degree of attention, is all that i require'

(not thinking of 'how it will be done,' as the interviewer implied that morrissey might not be successful financially, or that this might not work - suggests that the interviewer wants to know about Te, and Morrissey wants to de-emphasize Te, to not worry about how this will be done, but just to do whatever he feels he needs to do at this time)

but i can wait, there won't always be a time when i can do this (Ni)

wants to write plays in the future. to talk about these things is incredibly pompous and ostentatious, I'm going to do something big, i do have other ambitions

i'm sure in this business one thing tends to lead to another (Ni)

are you using the smiths, then, as a spring?

no, everything i do in the smiths is because i absolutely want to

some way to get attention, it really is intolerably serious to me

if you couldn't be morrissey, who would you like to be?

i'd really like to be the people i admire oscar wilde, james dean, (inaudible), so, i'm sorry, i'm just predictable

What type is James Dean? SLE, by any chance?

Anyway I see stronger than , so I would say IEI.

I actually agree that he *looks* like other EIE musicians that I've seen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting analysis. and thanks for clearing the above up...i was left confused ...I definitely agree with most of what you said

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting analysis. and thanks for clearing the above up...i was left confused ...I definitely agree with most of what you said
    If I were taking a lot of time on it, I would do a transcript of the entire video, and then analyze each sentence to try to figure out which IM element was being used. This was just sort of a hasty look at it. Someone else might argue for EIE and I couldn't say for sure about it.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    When sar says he (gender?) didn't even get a lol from that, 'that' refers to the original post, where sar suggested jokingly that this was an INFj. ('so..... INFj? ' - supposed to elicit a lol, but failed to do so.)

He didn't mean that he didn't even get a 'lol' as a result of you (Crow) saying 'Not INFj,' which wasn't meant to be funny.

I'll watch the video and form an opinion.
    Oh OK, thank you for the clarification. I missed the context, I guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Smiths/Morrisey

EIE? IEI?

TIM
    LIE - Ni
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, he is definitely an EIE. An archetypal one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how are there not more opinions on this...i still say IEI...Fe sub

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

who is he?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

singer of the 1980s band "the smiths", they are very very very good. have an opinion?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My guess would be EIE-Ni so/sp 3w4 for him.

From his interviews dynamic > static type for sure. There is this sort of an emphasis on contradictions present in what he says that is attributed to Negativism:

Morrissey: I was quite advanced when I was at school, and when I left school it seemed that all these really oafish clods from school were making tremendous progress and had wonderfully large cars and lots of money, and I seemed to be constantly waiting for a bus that never came."

Morrissey: "I think I'm a realist. Which people who don't like me consider to be pessimism. It isn't pessimism at all. If I was a pessimist I wouldn't get up, I wouldn't shave, I wouldn't watch Batman at 7:30 a.m. Pessimists just don't do that sort of thing."

Morrissey: "Well, I think when I was a child, more than anything else I wanted not to be ordinary. And I wanted to be considered to be a bit peculiar. When I was at school I wanted to be peculiar and I was delighted when I was at secondary school and I was actually thought to be peculiar (laughs). It was fantastically good for me because I looked around me and I thought, 'Well, however you are I don't want to be like you, so if you think I'm unbalanced then I'm delighted.' That really stayed with me."
    presence of dynamicity and negativism describes the Dialectical-Algorithmic cog-style i.e. EIE not IEI.

He fits the archetype of the 'culture warrior' attributed to social variant of e4:

I think it’s inevitable, yes. But I’m not an anarchist, I’m a very quiand composed person. But really, isn’t it more to do with the fact that there’s nobody in modern pop music who makes any social statement whatsoever? And there’s a massive dumbing-down in England now, which mimics America in the 1990s, where everything is intellectually reduced. It’s very prevalent in television especially, whereby only very standard views can be expressed, and anybody who has another view is censored.
    There is this certain lightness that borders on sterility to his self-expression, a kind of indirect way of relating, which suggests sx-lastness:

Morrissey: That's why I do this music business thing, it's communication with people without having the extreme inconvenience of actually phoning anybody up.
    The 'social climber' and 'rags-to-riches' themes of soc-3 are also noticeable:

Morrissey: I think if I'd led an acceptably frivolous teenage life I wouldn't be singing in this group. I'm sure if you have a great time and get everything you want, all the friends you want, then you tend not to be so ambitious. If you're deprived of certain things it makes you very resilient and you kick very hard for what you want.
    In videos he looks sort of withdrawn and spacy making Ni-subtype more likely than Fe-sub.
    Last edited by silke; 12-15-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFp. He is too avant-garde and glum to be an EIE.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"That's why I do this music business thing, it's communication with people without having the extreme inconvenience of actually phoning anybody up."

That's as obvious as it can get. EIEs get into music business not for the communication but to express their inner selves and yield some power seeking.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bump.

Beta or Delta?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I reckon Morrissey is ENFj and Johnny Marr is his ISFj mirage relation.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ISTp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast