Conflictor

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I divided relationship types into two groups: Duality-esque relationships, and Identical-esque relationships. Identical-esque relations have some element you can identify with, and Duality-esque relations have some element that you lack and are looking for. Within each group, I ranked the relationships according to Temperament matches + Valued Function matches - Super-Ego hits. This is of course all very theoretical; as an LII I don't have enough friends to do a statistically significant analysis of how it all works out in practise.

My rankings:

Duality-esque
    Duality
    Activation
    Semi-Duality/Mirage
    Benefactor/Beneficiary
    Contrary
    Conflict

Identical-esque
    Identical
    Mirror
    Kindred/Look-a-Like
    Supervisee/Supervisor
    Quasi-Identical
    Super-Ego

I'm not sure how I would sort out a combined list, as Identical-esque relationships seem fairly different to me from Duality-esque ones.
    Quaero Veritas.

It depends on type. With some type-pairs and male-female pairs, the relationships play out differently.

For example male NiTe (benefactor) and female FiNe (beneficiary), is probably a very good relationship. But with female NiTe (benefactor) and male FiNe (beneficiary), probably an akward one.

So making a collection based on what people say, doesn't work.

So just from my personal perspective, in theory, for long lasting relationship:
    Identical (just unlikely to happen in practice)
    Dual (there's a high chance it won't last because of different interests)
    Mirror
    I'm benefactor
    Semi-dual
    Look-alike
    Activity
    Illusionary
    I'm supervisor
    I'm beneficiary
    Comparative
    Quasi-identical
    Super-ego
    Contrary
    I'm supervisee
    Conflicting
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is that going on 13 years since we started dating, almost 5 years of marriage, and 2 kids later my wife and I (Activity) still can't get enough of each other. I really don't think we ever left the honeymoon phase. Ups and downs and the occasional shouting match sure, but a little spice is nice. The ups are the norm. Downs are rare and quickly addressed. At least as far as romantic relationships, there's a lot more to it than socionics though.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.) Duality (duh)
    2.) Semi-Duality (almost as good, but missing something... fun times together with 2nd and 8th functions though)
    3.) Activation > Identical > Mirror (theoretically, but I haven't ever actually been in a romantic relationship with any of these types, or activity, though I get along with them fabulously)
    4.) Illusionary, Supervisee, Contrary, Benefactor (they can be very attractive to me, but the relationships end up being troublesome)
    5.) Beneficiary (same as above, but not quite as attractive to me, generally speaking)
    6.) Look a like, Comparitive, Superego, Quasi Identical, Supervisor, Conflict (No romantic attraction to these types at all)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Duality
    2. Activator
    3. Semi Dual
    4. Beneficiary
    5. Supervisor

All of the others pretty much fail. But at the very bottom is extinguishment/contrary, and above that is conflict. I can't see a mirror relationship happening, but I enjoy them as friends. Identical and Comparitive pretty much fail as well. Super Ego isn't THAT bad, but I never seem to get past the initial attraction when it comes to them. I'm open to any relationship if I am with someone who is compatible with me, regardless of type.
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) sexual

2) non-sexual
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    1) sexual

2) non-sexual
    the fifth dichotomy.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I divided relationship types into two groups: Duality-esque relationships, and Identical-esque relationships. Identical-esque relations have some element you can identify with, and Duality-esque relations have some element that you lack and are looking for. Within each group, I ranked the relationships according to Temperament matches + Valued Function matches - Super-Ego hits. This is of course all very theoretical; as an LII I don't have enough friends to do a statistically significant analysis of how it all works out in practise.

My rankings:

Duality-esque
    Duality
    Activation
    Semi-Duality/Mirage
    Benefactor/Beneficiary
    Contrary
    Conflict

Identical-esque
    Identical
    Mirror
    Kindred/Look-a-Like
    Supervisee/Supervisor
    Quasi-Identical
    Super-Ego

I'm not sure how I would sort out a combined list, as Identical-esque relationships seem fairly different to me from Duality-esque ones.
    I like this, good job.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    I like this, good job.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rating of intertype relations

Hello,
    at socionics.com you get some information about intertype relations. I actually don't know if the descriptions are okay, but they rated your inter-quadra realtions, and that was what I thought would be interesting to have from the whole socion.

They did it like this:
    Relations of Duality: ++++
    Identical Relations: +++
    Relations of Activity: ++
    Mirror Relations: +

Okay, this was more or less obvious, because all of them are part of your quadra, that means you'll get along quite well. But what about the rest? I personally don't know which relation theoretically is better than the other, apart from the chart above. Of course, all this is relative, but I'm just asking if anyone has done a complete rating before.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of different aspects of relationships that you can rank. For general compatibility, having complementary ego functions is best. If they are the same it helps too. Also (generally) within-quadra > adjacent quadra > opposite quadra. It's hard to rank them because often I like my conflictors, for example, but if we had a closer relationship it would go terribly wrong.

Also, I un-recommend Ganin's site. He oversimplifies certain aspects of socionics and totally ignores others. His articles hardly even talk about information elements.

Creepy-male

Wouldn't it be

Same quadra > adjacent quadra w/ same valued P IMs > etc?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Wouldn't it be

Same quadra > adjacent quadra w/ same valued P IMs > etc?
    Why? As for me, I get along better with EIEs than LSEs but worse with IEIs than SLIs.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    There are a lot of different aspects of relationships that you can rank. For general compatibility, having complementary ego functions is best.
    You are probably right. These relations are probably too complex to be ranked 1-dimensionally.

Also, I un-recommend Ganin's site.
    I already heard from others that it would be crap. Maybe I should stop reading stuff there.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At socionics.org there is a rating in connection to Slinko on benefit realtionships.

I was searching for this for an hour before I found it. Knew I had seen it somewhere.

Google Översätt

What kind of relationship is better?

If you ask to rate the relationship on a scale from best to worst, you will not be able to do without elaboration. From the standpoint of interaction based scale? Performance of business cooperation or fitness for marriage? Or maybe something else? And even after the clarification of these issues can be achieved only approximately.

Here is the scale of intertype relationships according to their degree of preference in marriage:

DUAL
    Identical
    Activation
    Mirror
    Poludualnye (semi-dual)
    Related
    Parallel
    Business
    Neutralization
    Mirage
    Custom
    Superego
    Conflict
    REVIZNYE (supervision)

Located at the poles of the dual relationship and reviznye made <infinity>: this reflects the idea that, firstly, no relations, except the dual does not allow for perfect harmony, and, on the other hand, marriage is based on the audit, it is absolutely disgarmonichen.

This is even more conventionally ranking relations in their adaptability to business collaboration. Nevertheless, we present here and such a scale, because it may well serve as a qualitative guide:

DUAL
    Activation
    Identical
    Poludualnye (semi-dual)
    Business
    Parallel
    Mirror
    Neutralization
    Mirage
    Custom
    Superego
    Conflict
    Reviznye (supervision)
    Related

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much dude, that's exactly what I wanted to see.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-male

Why? As for me, I get along better with EIEs than LSEs but worse with IEIs than SLIs.
    I have consistently poor interactions or relationships with Betas, in particular Beta NFs. There's some superficial harmony with IEIs at least due to the Fe, but any degree of closeness usually causes mutual feelings of the other being right off their rocker.

I find that EIEs are typically histrionic, obnoxious, and invasive (um, subjective opinion of course).

I chalk it up to misunderstandings around Judicious/Decisive, but I could be wrong.

First thought: Different Static/Dynamic > Same Judicious/Decisive > Same Static/Dynamic > Different Judicious/Decisive.

Second thought: <I forgot what it was...>

Third thought: Mix J/P into that, and you have the intraquadra rankings, and then that funnily enough expands to all four quadras. Could work, maybe.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    I have consistently poor interactions or relationships with Betas, in particular Beta NFs. There's some superficial harmony with IEIs at least due to the Fe, but any degree of closeness usually causes mutual feelings of the other being right off their rocker.

I find that EIEs are typically histrionic, obnoxious, and invasive (um, subjective opinion of course).

I chalk it up to misunderstandings around Judicious/Decisive, but I could be wrong.
    Well, you're irrational, so your semi-dual is a delta. My semi-dual is a beta. Your supervisee is a beta, mine is a delta. I'm guessing you get along well with IEEs and not so well with EIIs?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DUAL
    Identical
    Activation
    Mirror
    Poludualnye (semi-dual)
    Related
    Parallel
    Business
    Neutralization
    Mirage
    Custom
    Superego
    Conflict
    REVIZNYE (supervision)
    I am going to attempt to convert all these to the wikisocion relationship titles, since some of them are different...I'm a little

So....

DUAL=dual
    Identical=identical
    Activation=activity
    Mirror=mirror
    Poludualnye (semi-dual)=semi-dual
    Related=kindred
    Parallel=quasi-identical?
    Business=business or look-a-like
    Neutralization=extinguishment or contrary?
    Mirage=mirage or illusionary
    Custom=benefit?
    Superego=superego
    Conflict=conflict
    REVIZNYE (supervision)=supervision
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Creepy-male

Well, you're irrational, so your semi-dual is a delta. My semi-dual is a beta. Your supervisee is a beta, mine is a delta. I'm guessing you get along well with IEEs and not so well with EIIs?
    Essentially yes, in both cases; it's just the "essentially" breaks down a little more easily or a little sooner with EIIs.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post

Most ILIs I tend to find a little boring, though, until I get to know them better and we get past the superficial BS...then it gets interesting but sometimes I get a bit annoyed with their tendency to want to approach work theoretically and not actually just do the damn project and it feels like I am pulling teeth to get them to just DO something instead of planning shit meticulously, but that's the only real mishap along with sometimes saying things which I find hurtful, but I get over it like right away because we all do stuff like that.
    Care to elaborate? I usually try to understand why people are a certain way and may criticize them without noticing if I get into that smooth groove.

I love the theoretical conversations, it turns me on to be on the same wavelength.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I tried to do a complete rating once but I got frustrated and gave up. also a lot of relations are asymmetrical. Meaning, the other person values YOU more than you value him (or vice-versa).

Like, Supervisors tend to like Supervisees a lot more than Supervisees like their Supervisors. So you can't just say 'Supervision' you have to split it into 'Supervisor' and 'Supervisee' which at the time just made my head hurt.

Eventually you say 'fuck it' and drag your weird socially isolated self with the rest of the human race whether you like to or not. =/ noooo i can't be part of them I was made fun of too much in high school for being weak and faggy, noooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm above humans! Silly little straight boys talking about things I don't care about why do I have to interact with you 'in real life' when we have nothing in common lol this is so awkward. please don't call the cops when I talk about fisting! EWWWWWWWW the only thing straight boys care about is joining the army!!! because real life is overrated. the only thing 'real world' people like talking about it seems is the army, nascar, and conservative politics. but maybe I'm just being snooty and faggy and overly intellectual and judging them. but I can't be all that wrong, cuz I've been disllusionsed too many times by 'real life' to think that it's anything other than this bleak, shitty illusion. I just want to write about how life should be in my faggy fairytale books with me and dolphin!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we've done this before:

Excellent:
    • Dual
    • Activity
    Very Good:
    • Illusionary
    • Semi dual
    • Benefit
    • Identity
    Good to OK
    mirror
    quasi
    contrary
    lookalike

OK to not that good
    comparative
    supervision

terrible
    superego
    conflict

who knows though. i nearly always have a close friend who is a supervisor or supervisee. i have no dual friends, so in that sense it's totally theoretical.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best relationships? Hmmm, since I don't know socionics very well or the whole way that different personalities work together I'm simply going to post those that I get along with best (in my life). I do happen to believe however that who you get along with best does not necessarily mean that you are getting along well because of personality - it simply means that your goals in life are similar and you both work at keeping the relationship good.

A lot of what makes a friendship what it is is through the commitment of those involved/how much time and effort they will put into the relationship to make it work.

But anyways just a thought from me. :wink:

I am an ESE or ESFj

My best friend at church is an: INFj
    The person I am attracted to/close friend is an: INTj
    My best friend from high-school/adopted brother is an: ESFj
    My best friend for all of my life/twin brother is an: ENFj
    My best friend from college is an: INFp

And every one else I'm not sure as to what their personality actually is.

I have noticed that I generally get along well with all of these personalities. (Except; I know an INTj that is absolutely horrendous.)

People I generally don't get along with are usually ISTj. (Sorry ISTj's you really just bug me. )

So question, what kind of relationships are these according to socionics?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow82 View Post
    You can use this chart: http://www.socionics.us/relations.shtml

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow82 View Post
    I am an ESE or ESFj

My best friend at church is an: INFj
    The person I am attracted to/close friend is an: INTj
    My best friend from high-school/adopted brother is an: ESFj
    My best friend for all of my life/twin brother is an: ENFj
    My best friend from college is an: INFp

And every one else I'm not sure as to what their personality actually is.

I have noticed that I generally get along well with all of these personalities. (Except; I know an INTj that is absolutely horrendous.)

People I generally don't get along with are usually ISTj. (Sorry ISTj's you really just bug me. )

If you're ESE (ESFj):
    INFj is illusionary
    INTj is dual
    ESFj is identical
    ENFj is kindred
    INFp is supervisor
    ISTj is semi-dual

If you're IEE (ENFp):
    INFj is mirror
    INTj is supervisor
    ESFj is illusionary
    ENFj is quasi-identity
    INFp is mirage
    ISTj is conflictor

So, if these typings were correct, relationships could point towards IEE over ESE, not that it matters much.

Edit: and MD has a good point about Gammas, too. I was thinking mostly of supervision and potential conflict, fwiw. It would be easier if you mentioned them.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay yellow82, you're an Alpha and you have not a single Gamma type in your friend list. That means that at least your opposite quadra seems not to be your favourite if it comes to friends.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if these typings were correct, relationships could point towards IEE over ESE, not that it matters much.

Edit: and MD has a good point about Gammas, too. I was thinking mostly of supervision and potential conflict, fwiw. It would be easier if you mentioned them.
    Some of the typings probably aren't correct; they were based off of a MBTI test; that half of my friends say it sounds like them; and the other half say that their results don't describe them. A lot of my other, more introverted friends haven't taken the test; so I have no clue as to what they are; though I believe most of them are INTj.

However; every description of an ESFj/ESE describes me well; yet I verge on being a N/P instead of a T/J; so I guess that I could have some N/P slight tendencies making it easier for me to get along with some of the "types" that I posted.

The INTj is def. not my supervisor . We have one of the best friendships out of all of my relationships. . . and I have a "LOT" of INTj relationships that are very good. Although; I tend to get along with ESFj's best. *shrug*

Let's just say I know I am ESFj; but at the same time I get along with almost every one I know. . .

In my case types don't matter as much as the way you view the world. However, all of the friends that I have that disagree with me on the way I view the world are all INTj.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temperament (4 points) + Quadra values (6 points).

++++ Duality = 10
    +++ Identity = 9
    ++ Activity = 8
    ++ Semi-duality = 8
    + Mirror = 7
    + Illusionary = 7
    + Comparative = 7
    0 Beneficiary = 6
    0 Look-alike = 6
    0 Contrary = 6
    -- Benefactor = 5
    -- Supervisee = 5
    -- Superego = 5
    --- Quasi-identical = 4
    --- Supervisor = 4
    ---- Conflictor = 3

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like that polikujm. =)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really feel comfortable giving solid ratings, since they would differ by person, but overall my experiences have gone something like this...

Very good to extremely good
    Duality
    Mirror
    Identical
    Activity

Good to very good
    Semi-duality
    Business
    Mirage

Okay to good
    Beneficiary
    Benefit
    Kindred

Uncomfortable to okay
    Supervisor
    Quasi-identical

Uncomfortable to horrible
    Extinguishment
    Supervisee
    Super-Ego
    Conflict
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your effort.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This link might have been posted before, but it can be interesting here also: Socionics.org

It's a little different way to rate compatibility.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was good friends with an SEE for a while, but after a while the relationship crashed and burned. Also, I definitely like supervisors more than supervisees. I like most ESEs, but I don't relate to my ESE aunt at all.

Any list like this has to have a huge YMMV stamped at the end. There are so many different aspects to relationships, I hardly know where to begin. I could probably write a 10,000 word essay on how socionics has played into my personal relationships.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather rate them on a 2 dimensional scale, some can't be compared while some are outright detrimental.
    Last edited by EyeSeeCold; 11-27-2010 at 03:54 AM.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Attraction and Repulsion..

..I can't find much info on this concept. What makes an intertype attractive/ repulsive, like, in terms of functions or whatever? How does it effect the relationship?

Attractive
    Duality
    Activity
    Semi
    Mirage
    Quasi
    Extinguishment
    Benefit (both ways)

Repulsive
    Id
    Mirror
    Kindred
    Look-a-like
    Super ego
    Supervision (both ways)
    Conflict

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know where Aushra explained the terminology, but the claims are as follows:

Information Based - Two statics or two dynamics. Functions of each partner's mental loop correspond to those of other partner's mental loop, and likewise for vital loop. More interchange of conscious, verbalizable information than subconscious impact. Termed "relations of repulsion" by Augusta.

Energy based - One static and one dynamic. Functions of one partner's mental loop correspond to functions of other partner's vital loop. More subconscious impact than exchange of verbalizable information. Termed "relations of attraction" by Augusta.
    - http://socionics.us/theory/relationships.shtml

This article may also be helpful:

http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.3.rels/index.html

"Balance" is Ep + Ip / Ej + Ij
    "Acceleration" is Ep + Ej / Ip + Ij
    "Monotony" is Ep + Ep / Ej + Ej / Ij + Ij / Ip + Ip
    "Slowdown" is Ep + Ij / Ej + Ip
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

People are attracted to all types, repulsion comes after finding out who they are.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'd put duality, activity, semi-duality, mirage, and mirror relations as ranking at the top, followed by benefit and then everything else.

--- Favorable Intertype Relations ---

Dual relations - when it works out most often there is a feeling of surprise at how naturally things have come together; those used to "trying to make relationships work" may feel disappointed and even apprehensive due to an expectation that there should be something more to it, there has to be, but there isn't, so then it feels like "and now what? what is supposed to happen? ... is this even real?". Most often duality is appreciated for a feeling of calm and "de-neurotization", as well opportunities to learn from one another and improve one's confidence and self-esteem (even if it lasts a few months, not a lifetime). This dual calm will alternate with arguments, which give these relations a certain spunk; however, these conflicts are typically not destructive and instead help keep things perceptually interesting and afresh.
    Often times "Mirage" relations are mistaken for "Dual" one due to that same feeling of calm, ease, relaxedness, and smoothness of interaction they provide, where both people become submerged into a kind of a pleasant dream-like state where they become disinclined to fight and argue and can talk about anything. To contrast, in "Dual" relations agreements and conflicts alternate, which gives Dual relations certain liveliness and a sense of being engaged, as opposed to Mirage where feelings of boredom and non-caring start to settle in. Conflicts between duals are usually not scathing but reformative; there is often a deep visceral understanding as to where your dual is coming from even if you happen to disagree.

Semi-duality - generally attractive, each appreciates the other's "main bearing", "core attitude", way of being, behavior and lifestyle; this is predicated by compatible temperaments and suggestive-base attraction; however, periodically unresolvable arguments arise between semi-duals' *creative* and *activating* functions, where the activating function of one semi-dual, the way of evaluating the world around them, poses an antagonistic attitude to the creative function of the other person, effectively rubbing them the wrong way; given greater familiarity, one of the semi-duals eventually "flips out" and criticizes the activating function of the other semi-dual from their own creative-activating worldview (ex: EII's Ne criticizing LIE's Se-hidden agenda for giving too much attention to external appearance and other external static qualities, that in EII's view should be dismissed in favor of intrinsic personality-based factors); it seems like there is some latent pull that draws you together, but in conversation your creative-activating functions periodically extinguish each other: when one partner gives their assessment of the situation, their semi-dual can criticize and shoots it down in favor of his own interpretation. in one of the articles it was mentioned that semi-duality is less than half a duality and this seems to be true. Semi-duals experience difficulty with providing situational advice that the other will listen to and resolving each other's problems on hidden agenda, which leads to absence of feeling of camaraderie and lapses in sense of humor due to different quadra values.
    Semi-duality nevertheless is still an attractive and enduring relationship type that helps keep both people "on their toes", not relaxing, and improving themselves as well as achieving common goals. Romantic "semi-duality" is more frequent among Rational types than Irrational ones, because it's only among Rationals that one semi-dual is "ethical" type and the other is "logical" type (ex. LSI-ESE pairs are more commonly encountered than ILI-SLE couples).
    Most often Semi-dualiy is mistaken for Duality, in part due to superficial similarity of partners on creative functions and the wish to meet someone similar to oneself. One way to tell Semi-dual relations from Dual ones is that in Semi-duality both people will either be positivists or negativists, while in Duality these traits are balanced (positivist type semi-dualities seem to be more frequent).

Activity - the other person is pleasantly energizing, zesty, funny, attention-drawing; there is some strange desire to tell them what to do and give them instructions on how to adjust their behavior on their 1-dimensional dual-seeking function where you can see their lapses, but they seem strangely unresponsive to your guidance, so the advice coming from your creative onto their d.s. is intensified in your semi-futile attempts to get through to them and again these attempts don't hit their mark; thus it becomes difficult to influence and modify activity's behavior on situational basis, they seem to be somehow un-malleable and impenetrable; activity's leading function seems like it's "too strong" and "overloaded", there's a desire to "soften it" and "pull it down", but this desire is never realized and becomes a source of hidden concerns for the other activity partner; plentiful lapses in communication due to Rational/Irrational differences and conflicting cognitive styles; difficulty in explaining yourself in the way that your activity is convinced; on this basis suspicions may arise, but even in case of arguments it's usually easy to forgive one another.

Mirage / Illusionary - Oft mistaken for Dual relations for their peace, calm, and relaxation, unlike Dual realtions, however, here you won't be inspired to do anything great and won't feel a certain emotional "activating" zest. In a way these relations feel more comforting and smooth-running than Benefit, Activity, or Semi-Duality, and even Duality relations, but that comfort just as easily turns into apathy, boredom, and indifference for oneself and the other. Mirage types find it incredibly easy to make contact and converse just about anything, and it's just as easy to go your separate ways, with the other person seeming like a light, non-obliging, non-threatening yet potentially interesting friend. On the bright side, Mirage relations make for a great "safe harbor" for those who are feeling stressed, who suffer from excessive anxiety and neuroses, since the temporary quiet and relaxation they induce can be very beneficial to someone who is lacks in this.

I'd rank mirage higher but it feels like nothing happens in these relations, like there is no outcome, no advancement anywhere; Mirage partners could be compared to two ice cubes that melt down and sit there in a puddle until they evaporate; the average "positive span" of mirage relations is longer than that of benefit relations imo: 5-7 years before indifference begins setting in, leading one or both of the partners to question their commitment. Victor Gulenko, however, includes Mirage relations in the group of four highest ranked, most beneficial, and most suitable for long term partnership relations; his group also includes duality, activity, and semi-duality.

Benefit - I remember reading somewhere that one's Beneficiary and Benefactor types are closest to one's dual, likely so because they share the same cognitive style and two of the IEs; there is usually a sense of partial understanding of where the other person is coming from, they seem to be engaged in something interesting and beneficial overall, but what the are saying seems to need adjustments from one's base+creative; the beneficiary resists these adjustments, feels like they are a devaluation of a sort; in general, Benefit seems to be a very frequent combination for friendship and romance, and much more common than duality; typical cycle of benefit relations goes something like: initial strong interest spike that lasts 1-2 years (and it's not true that it's always the Beneficiary pursuing the Benefactor, sometimes it's the reverse), this is followed by a cooling period, some arguments where one or both may reprimand the other for not being more like their dual, disenchantment, the rose-colored glasses melt away, here relations may fall apart forever, though just as often they become rekindled later on when one person seeks out the other to get in touch again; for lasting relations, it's best to take breaks from one another same as in Supervision.
    ** One advantage of Benefit relations over Semi-Duality, Activity, and Mirage is that partners have similar expectations of how to approach relationships and communication based on being "on the same side" of Process/Result dichotomy.

Business - it's easy to find a common language due to shared creative functions - not so when it comes to agreeing on the key content; there's general lack of understanding when it comes to understanding each other's "main" orientation towards life and periodic friction over "program" functions that pull Business types in different directions; this opposition of program functions is initially hard to notice, such that things may start on an amiable and friendly note, later, however, the chills running through conversations as things profess further; Business partner is perceived as pleasant but somewhat boring relation sharing some of the key weakness of one's temperament, which is why imo there's a need here for a significant external incentive for Business partners to get serious in getting together; not much danger in hitting each other's polrs but no help provided for resolving ha/polr area either, here Business partners may only sympathize with one another, which is emotionally reassuring but in practical sense it's a dead end. Business romantic pairings are more frequent among Rationals than Irrationals.

--- Less Favorable Intertype Relations---

Supervision - there seems to be some kind of yo-yoing love-hate effect in place here that is similar to the love-hate that happens in conflict relations, which for the most part is felt by the Supervisee; this can be alright if there is enough space to yo-yo around (ways to distance), but in close quarters, daily and hourly contact things get progressively worse; some socionics authors claim that Supervision is worse than Conflict, however, ime this isn't true as there are valuable exchanges of information/energy happening under Supervision that don't occur in Conflict - Supervisee learns from Supervisor, Supervisor is supported and energized by presence of Supervisee; so at best both support one another; however, it's crucial that both have a way of departing and recharging with new impressions and energies somewhere else for this relationship to be endure; for family relations, russian socionists usually advise that either one or both take frequent vacations; in my experiences Supervisee starts feeling a lot of discomfort within just 2 weeks of cohabitation, which makes Supervision especially heavy in close family relations where it's impossible to part frequently for long periods of time.

Extinguishment - I found these relations to be much more attractive than would be expected from how they are usually described; Extinguishment friendships are quite common - most likely because one's Extinguishment partner has the same cog. style as one's Dual, that is, one's Dual and Extinguishment types have the same "mental framework" and same temperament, but completely different values; thus there's often a short-term romantic spark and mutual interest of Extinguishment types, as well as feelings of surprise and bemusement; good for doing research, delving into shared hobbies, but things periodically will get awkward; there is occasional undermining of one another's initiatives and points of view, difficulty with taking each other seriously; arguments lead to mutual deflation similar to quasi-identity; feelings range from fascination to slight aversion. The few Extinguishment marriages that I've seen seemed to be strained and their union felt fragile (ripe ground for divorce and/or cheating).

Identical - the best part of these relations is the learning potential; one's identical is often nearly idealized if they happen to seem more advanced and have many insightful and useful points to share; however, there is also a build-up of internal tensions the more time is spent together as one's internal issues are not resolved; Identicals aren't equipped to provide each other with resolutions and useful criticisms, thus each keeps to their own previously solidly engrained attitudes and ideas not receiving the much needed balancing or correction from the other; feelings of pleasant surprise mix in with mild irritation when Identical says something you were just thinking about; interest that alternated with coldness and indifference; similar deficiencies as in kindred relations but brief attempts to compensate and "play dual" for one another are usually welcome.

Quasi-identical - somewhat attractive relations, at least initially; similar to Extinguishment relations, Q-I is good for sharing information and researching common areas of interest as being on the same side of Democratic/Aristocratic dichotomy and same club quasis have some intersecting interests and view points; there's a sense of familiarity; however Quasi-Identicals propositions and arguments seem to be difficult to grasp, it's like they are saying many words but what do they mean? there's certain "mutedness", difficulty to completely engage each other, eventually may come a sense of dismissiveness, a perception that most of what quasi-identical is saying is not really worth the effort to figure it out; prolonged interactions feel moderately draining, like you've invested a lot of time and effort explaining your view point but you didn't "get through" to them; arguments flare up here and there, but most of it is forgiven and forgotten the next day or week; similar to extinguishment there is difficulty with taking one another seriously and periodic discreditation of the other.

Superego - I've never seen two people misinterpret and misunderstand one another so thoroughly, from half a sentence, as in these relations; communication lapses, bumps, and hiccups everywhere; of all the intertype relations this one is where the partners are most "muted" to each other; being unable to get through to each other, they start thinking that the other isn't listening to them, raising their voices while explaining themselves over and over again, even shouting at the other to make their point; due to differences in quadra values, attempts at diffusing the situation, jokes and friendly prods, are often misunderstood and an inappropriate reaction follows; from a distance, however, one's Superego usually seems more attractive and likable somehow than one's Kindred; I'd rank superego slightly higher than kindred relations due to higher degree of complementation over all functions; and unlike Conflict relations, there is no active undermining of each other's initiatives here.

Kindred - all too similar kinds of needs and deficiencies with almost total inability to resolve each other's problems; in conversation Kindred's may try to provide advice for each other's HA/PoLR area clearly seeing the each other's lapses and mistakes here; while at it, each feels like he/she is giving valuable advice from their creative function, and is then perplexed to find out that all of it fell on deaf ears, since Kindred's advice falls on the PoLR and typically sounds inapplicable and/or incomprehensible, and ultimately boring and beyond the point; ime my Kindre's advice has been useful, but it takes a lot of mental energy to think around it, reinterpret and adopt it in the "language" of my HA; periodic "hitting" of each other's PoLRs that leads to a build-up of grudges and hurt feelings; once things hit a low point, the arguments go round and round with no resolution; the good point of these relations is the similarity of general wordviews, but no agreement on how to proceed further from there and handle daily situations; it's like two people who see the same object but "grab it" from different ends and each thinks that his end is more justified while the other's way is wrong, faulty, and ultimately deceptive, which is where the merry-go-round arguments usually start; more respectful at a distance, but in the long run quite meh.

Conflict - this relation oscillates from admiration for their seemingly unusual areas of competence and way of thinking to a desire to scream and yell at this person to make them stop doing all those annoying things that they are doing; respectful contact at a distance and within some kind of routine where both do their parts separately; at closer contact there is unintentional undermining of each other's initiatives and opinions; lashing out and actual conflict are actually rare, but do occur if Conflictors have to interact closely and for a while, such as living together as family; nevertheless, according to Russian socionics forums, there are socionics "Conflict" marriages that have lasted for over 20 years though not with much happiness.
    Last edited by silke; 01-19-2017 at 03:27 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast