Some are carpenters' wives

Don't know how it all got started

I don't what they're doing with their lives

But me I'm still on the road

Heading for another joint

We always did feel the same

We just saw it from a different point of view

Tangled up in Blue.'

- from Bob Dylan in America by Sean Wilentz; pp. 139-140: Dylan, who had heard of Raeben

from Sara’s friend Robin Fertik, sought Raeben out with the intention of learning more about

Jewish philosophy, but he ended up spending two months working at Raeben’s studio, five days

a week, from eight thirty until four. Dylan later described his fellow pupils as a thrown-together

assortment: “rich old ladies from Florida—standing next to an off-duty policeman, standing next

to a bus driver, a lawyer. Just all kinds.” Dylan does not appear to have been anyone special, at

least to Raeben, who, though he knew of Dylan’s fame, regularly berated him as an idiot (much

as he did the other students). It is unclear how much the sessions actually improved Dylan’s

sketching and painting; at neither would he ever become especially skilled. But Dylan credited

Raeben with nothing less than teaching him “how to see,” by putting “my mind and my hand and

my eye together, in a way that allowed me to do consciously what I unconsciously felt.”

Dylan has from time to time spoken of mentors whose principles or systems pulled him

out of an artistic and spiritual trough. In the first volume of Chronicles, he relates how recalling a

particular “mathematical” tone structure that he had learned years earlier from the old blues star

Lonnie Johnson helped revitalize his playing in the mid-1980s. With Raeben, he learned to

eschew conceptualization (the bane, in Raeben’s view, of the contemporary art scene), and to see

things plain, as they really are, always aware of perspective, both straight on and from above,

simultaneously. He also learned how to abandon the sense of linear time to which he had clung

automatically, and to understand the artistic possibilities of pulling together the past, present, and

future, as if they were of a piece, permitting a clearer, more concentrated focus on the objects or

objects at hand.

That summer of 1974, working mainly in a house around back on a farm he had

purchased in Minnesota alongside the Crow River (with his brother David’s house in front,

closer to the road), Dylan pored over a small red notebook, writing lyrics for a new album that

would capture the wounds, scars, and sorrowed wisdom of love. His writing included, early on,

what would become “Tangled Up in Blue,” a song he would later describe as directly beholden

to Raeben:

I was just trying to make it like a painting where you can see the different parts but then you

also see the whole of it. With that particular song, that’s what I was trying to do . . . with the

concept of time, and the way the characters change from the first person to the third person, and

you’re never quite sure if the third person is talking or the first person is talking. But as you look

at the whole thing, it really doesn’t matter.

Nor did it matter who the “she” was in the song, or how many shes there really were, or when

anything happened; the song hangs together as one that took ten years for Dylan to live and two

years for him to write.

Indeed, it appears that Raeben affected Dylan and “Tangled Up in Blue” in several ways.

Manic, brusque, and unsparing, Raeben would dress down his pupils as a means to help instruct

them, sometimes revising students’ work right on the canvas in his loose rapid style, to show

them how it was done. According to the artist John Amato, another student of Raeben’s at the

time, Dylan was one day painting a still life of a vase—the quintessential artistic effort to stop

time—and was working heavily in blue, a favorite pigment of novice students, when Raeben

looked at the canvas dismissively, telling Dylan that he was all tangled up in blue.

- from The Cambridge Companion to Bob Dylan (Edited by Kevin J. H. Dettmar); pp. 1-2:

David Gates’s description of Dylan as “the man who did to popular music what Einstein did to

physics,” while initially sounding like hyperbole, really isn’t. (The error, if there is one, isn’t in

the parallel between these two innovators, but in equating these fields of innovation.) Dylan

brought the long lyric line back to popular American song, much as Walt Whitman had restored

it to populist American poetry a century earlier; and against the clear-sighted, sometimes

childlike lyrics of the folk tradition, Dylan imported the French symbolists’ strategy of

suggesting rather than delineating his subjects, a style of lyrical impressionism fully consonant

with the introspective (and sometimes hallucinogen-enhanced) listening styles of the time.

Equally important as these two factors, Dylan from an early age boasted the voice of a seemingly

old man – seemingly the very voice, to steal a phrase from Greil Marcus, of “old, weird

America.” In an era when pop (and even folk) stars were, as today, meant to sing like the

nightingale, Dylan instead sang as the crow. But that croak, it seemed, contained a depth of

feeling and passion and anger and joy and wisdom and disillusionment not hinted at by the

songbirds; it came as a revelation. And it sounded like the voice of Truth.

- from The Cambridge Companion to Bob Dylan (Edited by Kevin J. H. Dettmar); pp. 170-172

[“Love and Theft” (2001) by Eric Lott]: Just as there’s probably no racially unmixed instance of

American culture, so there’s no mixed instance not marked in some way or other by inequalities

of power. Love is shot through with theft, and theft with love. Think about “High Water.” Where

in the long musical history by which plantation slaves invigorated Anglo-Irish folk tunes with a

post-African percussive sensibility only to be commercially represented on the US theatrical

stage by white men who gave rise to generations of “white” rural string music, eventually to be

taken up in homage to black blues musician Charley Patton by somebody (self-)named Bob

Dylan (“Hm, Bob Dylan, I wonder what it was before,” Marshall Berman reports his mother

musing when she first heard the name forty years ago) on an album called “Love and Theft” –

where in all this can you even think of escaping the rigors and mortises of racialized cultural

life in these United States?

By the same token, I’d guess that Dylan regards minstrelsy, say, whatever its ugliness, as

responsible for some of the US’s best music as well as much of its worst – without the wishful

fantasies of musical racelessness that mar Greil Marcus’s invocations of the “old, weird

America” (Invisible Republic 124). I’ve argued elsewhere that the emancipatory depictions of

Jim in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (such as when Jim and Huck are reunited on the raft

after their separation in a fog) are no less indebted to minstrelsy than the more stereotypical ones,

which is to say there’s no “transcending” or circumventing through sheer will the internally

contradictory structures of blackface feeling. Stephen Foster’s “Oh! Susanna” (1848), written in

“black” dialect with some less than palatable suggestions about African American mental

capacity, is nonetheless a great song that exhibits a good deal of sympathetic identification with

the black family separated by slavery depicted in it.

The blues formats that Dylan chooses to say something about cultural borrowing on

“Love and Theft” give rise in turn to its insistence on age and loss – lost love, lost relatives, lost

time. “Love and Theft” is preoccupied with loss and futility in direct proportion to its refusal to

give up – “never say die,” as Dylan sings on “Po’ Boy.” Song by song, the singer’s pathway

stones are announced and recuperated by the general buoyancy of his wit and his music. The

oscillation between death drive and pleasure principle isn’t unique to “Love and Theft,” of

course, but is a structuring principle of all blues; the music’s repetitions don’t aim to drown in

sorrow but to exorcise it, allow the repressed to briefly return on its way out of the psyche. The

sound of loss and trauma returning in order to be remade comes in the “dirty” tones, the falling

pitches, the flatted Es and Bs of the blues scale – and on “Love and Theft” in the voice of gravel

that intones whole realms of aging and struggle. Dylan does seem singularly intent here, though,

on capturing a state Freud termed “melancholia”: not the failed mourning of his 1917 essay

“Mourning and Melancholia,” even less a synonym for depression, but a middling state in which,

as Freud summed it up in The Ego and the Id, the lost love object is retained as a (historical)

component of the self. In these terms, the content of one’s emotional life is nothing less than the

transferential sum of abandoned or lost loves, a nexus of ghostly emotional attachments, “the

sedimentation,” as Judith Butler has put it, “of objects loved and lost, the archaeological

remainder, as it were, of unresolved grief”. Loss inevitably undergirds the self, on this view, and

if that tends in a variety of ways to haunt us it also connects us concretely and materially to the

past, to history. It thus has an immense productive aspect for thinkers and creative artists, which

is why I’d argue that the key line on the whole of “Love and Theft” is “I wish my mother was

still alive” (“Lonesome Day Blues”).

Beatty Zimmerman died in late January of 2000. To make too much of this fact would be

as foolish as thinking it had nothing to do with the feel and spiritual vibe of the album Dylan

wrote and recorded a little more than a year later. The line above seems to come out of nowhere,

at the end of a disjointed verse in the middle of the internally dissociated “Lonesome Day

Blues,” as though live and direct from the unconscious. Closer inspection reveals the

connections, which have the odd effect of making the song seem even more self-exposing.

Singing against a heavy blues downbeat, the song’s speaker sits thinking, his “mind a million

miles away.” It is on the whole a roving set of reflections on drastic loss. He left his long-time

darlin’ standing in the door; his pa died and left him, his brother got killed in the war; Samantha

Brown lived in his house for four or five months but he didn’t sleep with her eeeeven once. Then

comes this:

I’m forty miles from the mill – I’m droppin’ it into overdrive

I’m forty miles from the mill – I’m droppin’ it into overdrive

Settin’ my dial on the radio

I wish my mother was still alive

In some deep current of feeling, mother and radio are bound up with each other: it’s a genius

couplet. Both are major modes of cultural and more specifically musical transmission (which

incidentally realizes the punning intention of “droppin’ it into overdrive”). The mother is the pre-

linguistic source of all music, her heartbeat the first rhythm we hear, her hum among the first

melodies; losing her in the process of individuation is our first loss, the first love object to be

introjected as part of the ego’s melancholia and one template for our later relationships. The

radio mimics the mother’s subsequent status as ghosted, disembodied musical source (I’ll refrain

from speculating on the radio dial’s anatomical analogue), and its status as a technological

anachronism in an age of downloading, music-sharing, and iPods casts upon it a similarly

vestigial and recursive shadow (that is to say, when you hear the radio you remember the first

times you ever heard the radio; the same goes, unconsciously, for the pull—or push—of your

mother’s voice). So it’s no real surprise that the two references might come one after the other,

or, as the syntax of the line suggests, that the radio itself might remind the singer of his mama.

The phrase “love and theft” finds an especially poignant resonance in the context of Dylan’s

mother being stolen away; such is the power of her originary position, moreover, that she might

even be the long-time darlin’ the singer last left standing in the door. In any case, Dylan singing

about his mother opens rather effortlessly onto singing about music and by implication his

career, and given that doing so has helped create a powerful song on a powerful album, we might

say that loss is recuperated here by, and in the service of, a melancholic art.

It’s the memories that haunt you, things acquired, loved, and lost. “Some of these

memories you can learn to live with and some of them you can’t” (“Sugar Baby”). So many

things cluster here: the people you once clung to, the wrongs you couldn’t help (“So many things

that we never will undo / I know you’re sorry, I’m sorry too,” Dylan sings in “Mississippi”), the

very sources of your energy and your art. “These memories I got, they can strangle a man”

(“Honest with Me”), not a good thing for a singer, but understandable if what you’ve got in your

throat are traces of a thousand different songs from apartheid America. Race, memory, and

music meet in musical melancholia, where you get by with materials you barely remember

taking in the first place: you were too young, or they were too available, or both, and they work

so well, speak so solidly to your condition. You reach back to your roots, you work through your

masks, and you find yourself again in the land where the blues began.

Last edited by HERO; 05-24-2014 at 01:39 AM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's his birthday, good timing. Anyways, I'm curious on what @Bob Dylan has to say about his type.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Bob has been typed ISFj about 93 times already.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks like Baby from Dirty Dancing.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're comparing Bob Dylan to someone from Dirty Dancing? ahahahha

Oh my lord.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ENTj or ISTp I believe
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man is positively wispy he must be ENTj. *Snort*

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I would say ESI but I think he is intuitive. I have no idea except introverted.

Love him, 4w5

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspired by this thread I took some time to watch some interviews, and I can not conclude anything else than SLI for his type. A lot of Mobilizing Fi in those interviews, a person clearly marching to his own drum beat, and (perhaps wrongly) anticipating rejection, through his Mobilizing Fi being preemptively defensive about it.

Also, in many interviews Dylan clearly doesn't connect with the interviewer (because interviewers treat him as if he were an intellectual) and this discomfort shows in his body language: e.g. an ESI would in such cases more likely express judgement (verbal or non-verbal) towards the interviewer, but with Dylan it translates into expression of physical discomfort, e.g. rocking his body back and forth, i.e. he feels physically estranged, he does not want to be there any longer.

I think his overall attitude is one of someone who has trouble appreciating other people. Think of Ganin's Hidden Agenda for ILIs and SLIs: "to love". These two types find it difficult to find people they consider worthy of being loved. He does not want to talk about intellectual stuff, he wants to connect emotionally, but he depends upon the interlocutor to make it happen. Those are the people that SLIs and ILIs consider 'worthy'.

ETA: I just came across an interview where he actually opens up, because of the approach of the interviewer:

Last edited by consentingadult; 10-28-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESI
    Last edited by Jake; 11-30-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    EII
    make your case!
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    make your case!
    He's definitely Delta, Ne isn't repressed like it would be in SLI or LSE. Not IEE as I don't think an IEE could stay so quiet for so long and want to run away from the media so often (stereotyping, I know). Strong Ni in a couple of videos (demonstrative, possibly?).

My other impression is Gamma NT, lots of Te from him...possibly London
    Last edited by Jake; 10-29-2016 at 01:53 PM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i love bob. lyrical genius.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESI

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Dylan - ESFP - Napoleon

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that girl at the end (probably an ESE) always makes me laugh. it's very weird to see him in a strong Fe enviroment with extroverts that are involved in what's happening.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the comment you are looking for

TIM
    whatever
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfection seeking, maybe ESI

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow I typed him ESI in the past. Perspectives change haha.

IEI
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345