Thread: Mechanical Aptitude

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mechanical Aptitude

Understanding how objects work, and being able to manipulate those objects succesfully whether in design or practical tasks--

I assume it's a function of logic primarily. But is easily learned by anyone willing to learn. But are there any other implications? Te seems the natural conclusion, but what of Ti?
    asd

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's mainly Si, actually, especially when practical tasks are involved.

Understanding them theoretically, as in being a design mechanical engineer, is Te and Ti.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I must be strong in all three, because I can simulate (and debug) any mechanical system in my head.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mechanical Aptitude

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    But is easily learned by anyone willing to learn.
    From my experience, this is it...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure. Anyone willing to learn can also learn mathematics; it's still Ti.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Sure. Anyone willing to learn can also learn mathematics; it's still Ti.
    Mmh. Yes, you're right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my strongest ability actually.

Mechanics is flow of cause and effect, with a touch of Ne to visualize the flow in the minds eyes, then complex yet redundant flows get simplified into variables that have an input and output sorta, and the minds eye focuses on the other complex parts. For example lets say you are visualizing and engine, you would visualize every component and its contribution and forces within the system, but if it just keeps rotating then you would simplify the entire engine into a black box that takes in fuel and outputs torque. This allows you to then continue analyzing the system without flooding your mind with irrelevant details. Lots of cause and effect in there, and lots of Ne in order to feel the materials bending and the hysteresis curves.

F people usually suck at mechanical things. They just use them. Ive seen Fi people jamming tapes into a VCR and then asking a student in the class to figure it out. Ive seen them hit inanimate objects out of anger because they wont work. They have trouble visualizing object / system models and their internal dynamics (for Fi).
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slava2

Mechanics is flow of cause and effect, with a touch of Ne to visualize the flow in the minds eyes, then complex yet redundant flows get simplified into variables that have an input and output sorta, and the minds eye focuses on the other complex parts. For example lets say you are visualizing and engine, you would visualize every component and its contribution and forces within the system, but if it just keeps rotating then you would simplify the entire engine into a black box that takes in fuel and outputs torque. This allows you to then continue analyzing the system without flooding your mind with irrelevant details. Lots of cause and effect in there, and lots of Ne in order to feel the materials bending and the hysteresis curves.
    I don't know man but I can do exactly what you talk about here so i'm not sure it's Ne

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG

I don't know man but I can do exactly what you talk about here so i'm not sure it's Ne
    Maybe it's producing Ti then... and the Ne/Se is the working context. So you would be more hands on, and I would sorta just sit there scratching my balls, and then be like aha! And I'd offer a new model for something. We are both manipulating objects just in different spaces. I do it in my head, you do it in your environment. I can sorta feel my Se getting better though so I find myself rearanging my environment more.
    -Slava

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's producing Ti then... and the Ne/Se is the working context. So you would be more hands on, and I would sorta just sit there scratching my balls, and then be like aha! And I'd offer a new model for something. We are both manipulating objects just in different spaces. I do it in my head, you do it in your environment. I can sorta feel my Se getting better though so I find myself rearanging my environment more.
    Yeah you're right, I can't do it in my head I have to "experiment" the manipulations and see them working in order to test them out. Your approach seems to be more advantageous to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you're right, I can't do it in my head I have to "experiment" the manipulations and see them working in order to test them out. Your approach seems to be more advantageous to me.

I cant focus outward enough to actually copy all the details from inside to out though. You can do the Ne thing too, but I bet it would tire you out quickly. In Ne, objects don't have to be heavy and sometimes I use ideal materials that don't even exist in reality or are expensive. But I've learned to limit myself to real world curves and data, through experience of those objects. The closest I've come to simulating my mechanical reasoning is with my senior project on www.voltsamps.com where I represented all mechanical possibilities with a spring mass system, where the relations and spring constant are calibrated in order to form any object. In my head though there is an algebraic simplification that happens as well though.
    -Slava

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son has an amazing mechanical aptitude. And mathmatical and scientific... However, I've decided he shall not be typed, so that doesn't really do much for attempting to attribute that sort of thing to type.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mechanical reasoning is basically this.... [] = a domino

dominos1 = ->[a][b][c][d][e][f][g][h][i][j][k][l][m][n][o][p][q][r][s][t][u][v]

transitionA = [a]->[b], TransitionB = [b]->[c], ... (TransitionA - TransitionB) = {higher velocity} -> no new relevant factors thus same transition all the way to domino v, velocity increases.

Therefor: dominos1 = [a]->[v] = [domino_set_X]
    -Slava

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    How does that have anything to do with manipulating mechanical things? It looks like gibberish.
    Because all mechanical things consist of infinity small masses and springs that you can apply forces to. In order to visualize complex system of mechanics you sometimes have to simplify the entire picture of it. For example something that has a redundant purpose or redundant action can be simplified into a simple definition of the action rather than having to think about the internal workings over and over again. I think its called functional simplification or abstraction. For example once you create a computer you can use it without having to think about how the transistors are connected to each other. So if you think about a gear turning another gear, you can visualize the forces and then visualize the action, if the action repeats and returns to its initial state after one cycle, you can assume that that is all it can and will do. Then after all the gear rations and forces have been computed, you can simplify an entire gear box into one conversion of torque and rpm as if it were just two gears.
    -Slava