Hybrid View

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default types and values

What if you held values that are not your supposed type values? Say if you are an ESTp that desires infinite amount of knowledge . This is a part of some things I have thinking about lately, and it is driving me nuts. It just seems wierd to me that your values would be pretermined, or 'supposed' to be in a certain way. Any ideas?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

infinite knowledge =! Ne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics isn't inherently about values. It's about the type of information you pay attention to.

For example, . Subjective relationships between objects: feelings of attraction and repulsion, like and dislike, need and antipathy; morals, subjective judgments

If it's the leading function, it means that the most *natural* attention is given to it. That's why it's named the strongest.

Having as the leading function doesn't mean that you're naturally a moral and righteous person, but that's what it is most natural to become. As a person, if you found yourself paying attention to something, day and night, then you would want it to be whole, and complete. To have integrity.
    Leading isn't born with strong , but through the course of life begins to value it and make it strong. It's the most natural path.

Values are not predetermined, but the information emphasis is. You create your own values from the information you're given.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: types and values

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
    What if you held values that are not your supposed type values? Say if you are an ESTp that desires infinite amount of knowledge . This is a part of some things I have thinking about lately, and it is driving me nuts. It just seems wierd to me that your values would be pretermined, or 'supposed' to be in a certain way. Any ideas?
    I think each of us is full of values that don't come from our own type. The country we were raised in instills certain unconscious values in us. Religion instills non-type values in many of us. Professional activities instill certain values. Much of what is in us isn't really "ours."

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: types and values

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
    I think each of us is full of values that don't come from our own type. The country we were raised in instills certain unconscious values in us. Religion instills non-type values in many of us. Professional activities instill certain values. Much of what is in us isn't really "ours."
    Then obviously the goal is to weed those ones out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics type is more about what information involuntarily enters your consciousness, and what you have a hard time reaching.
    Things you notice will more likely become things you care about.
    So there are bound to be correlations with socionics types, but socionics does not preach determinism.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Socionics type is more about what information involuntarily enters your consciousness, and what you have a hard time reaching.
    Things you notice will more likely become things you care about.
    I very much agree, but what about superego functions?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apres
    Values are not predetermined, but the information emphasis is. You create your own values from the information you're given.
    I'd say values determine which information we focus on - people who value intimacy are more likely to focus on , for example (at least, in modern-day Western society).
    [Stormy] [LII]