Thread: Nicole Kidman, Virginia Woolf, The Hours

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nicole Kidman, Virginia Woolf, The Hours

In "The Hours," Nicole Kidman plays Virginia Woolf. Dmitri types Kidman as FeNi, and Rick types her as TiNe.
    My impression of the Woolf character is that she has a strong intellectual will that seems to show Ti, but other traits that seem characteristic of NiFe.

This raises some questions:
    * Is a tendency to, through extreme intelligence and obstinancy, insist on paths that don't make sense that nobody else can stop characteristic of Ti, and TiNe in particular?
    * Why does the Woolf character seem to display Ni? Is this a good case for a Tcaud-style type assessment as TiNi?
    * Is her character typical of LIIs, or of some LIIs? Or is it rather more Beta?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan, too bad no one wants to comment (so far) ...
    I'd like to see a discussion of Kidman's type, and I believe Lytov is wrong here. When I discuss types with him, we find we are coming from basically the same framework and criteria, which is very heartening (in contrast to our differences with Ganin).

In interviews, Kidman is always (when I have watched her) collected and careful and exact in her wording. Her body is stiff and she doesn't move much. Here, for example, is an interview with her when she was 16:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD04aP8bxcQ
    Here's a brief, more recent interview about "The Interpreter":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FH1AIOO1s
    I'm more inclined to see parallels between her and LII actress Sigourney Weaver than with the EIEs I know. On the other hand, she has played some emotional roles like in Moulon Rouge. On the whole, though, the "stricter" roles seem to dominate.

Until Tom Cruise [unexpectedly, as I understand] broke up with her, she had basically had no other relationship experience other than him, despite having been an actress since a very early age. In her interview with Charlie Rose, she expressed feelings of helplessness and regret about the separation. She didn't seem confident about her ability to find a new relationship, and Charlie had to give her encouragement. My impression was that she is sort of clingy in relationships, which I have heard about other LII women.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say I am a little biased having read Rick's typing before watching the movie, but Kidman's character was a good example of INTj. The Static mindset was obvious: she felt like her circumstances were stifling her--"I can't think of anything better than a trip to London." The other two main characters were Ijs too, I believe.

"* Is a tendency to, through extreme intelligence and obstinancy, insist on paths that don't make sense that nobody else can stop characteristic of Ti, and TiNe in particular?"

Yes, minus the "intelligence" part, which has little to do with it, but may enhance the absurdity of it.

I think Sidney Poitier could be another INTj, and he certainly plays characters like that. (edit: I have only typed him based on his roles, so that probably doesn't mean much! I'll have to do some research...) I'd like to identify more examples of INTj actors before I make any generalizations, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Jonathan, too bad no one wants to comment (so far) ...
    I'd like to see a discussion of Kidman's type, and I believe Lytov is wrong here. When I discuss types with him, we find we are coming from basically the same framework and criteria, which is very heartening (in contrast to our differences with Ganin).

In interviews, Kidman is always (when I have watched her) collected and careful and exact in her wording. Her body is stiff and she doesn't move much. Here, for example, is an interview with her when she was 16:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD04aP8bxcQ
    Here's a brief, more recent interview about "The Interpreter":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FH1AIOO1s
    I'm more inclined to see parallels between her and LII actress Sigourney Weaver than with the EIEs I know. On the other hand, she has played some emotional roles like in Moulon Rouge. On the whole, though, the "stricter" roles seem to dominate.

Until Tom Cruise [unexpectedly, as I understand] broke up with her, she had basically had no other relationship experience other than him, despite having been an actress since a very early age. In her interview with Charlie Rose, she expressed feelings of helplessness and regret about the separation. She didn't seem confident about her ability to find a new relationship, and Charlie had to give her encouragement. My impression was that she is sort of clingy in relationships, which I have heard about other LII women.
    Thanks for answering. It would be neat if we could get Dmitri over here so we could see why he thinks EIE. I see what you mean in the second video (the first I have to discount as age may have something to do with her reactions there).

She certainly doesn't seem to have that "gushy," confidently friendly quality one sometimes finds in EIEs, although she is aware of her own affect and vulnerability, which comes off as Fe though not necessarily ego-block Fe. On the other hand, there have been people I've met who seem very outgoing and seem to evidence Ti, and in those cases I consider that they may be Fe types who have become more 'complete' by reaching across to the dual side. (Of course, they may also be Ti types who have learned to be outgoing.) Nevertheless, I definitely see where you're coming from.

Apart from her actual type, though, do you see what I mean by a hint of Ni in the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jpFrLbcn0

To me, the character almost seems to be NiFe super-imposed with Ti. She has such an emphasis on symbolism, on timing, on the poetry of the moment, on thoughtfulness. Do you see why it seems Ni and possible IEI? And if not, why is what I'm seeing there not Ni?

Could it be that the script writer gave the character a bit of an IEI hue, and Nicole gave the character some Ti to produce a sort of a mix? Where's the Ne?

@thehotelambush:

Why is feeling that her circumstances are stifling her a give-away for static types? Do dynamic types, then, feel that their circumstances don't matter? (Actually, come to think of it, I can see that; in any case, I'm not one to care much about circumstances; I always assume that what's inside the mind is more important than where one is physically).

BTW...I think Dmitri's site says that Meryl Streep is SLI.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Apart from her actual type, though, do you see what I mean by a hint of Ni in the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jpFrLbcn0

To me, the character almost seems to be NiFe super-imposed with Ti. She has such an emphasis on symbolism, on timing, on the poetry of the moment, on thoughtfulness. Do you see why it seems Ni and possible IEI? And if not, why is what I'm seeing there not Ni?

Could it be that the script writer gave the character a bit of an IEI hue, and Nicole gave the character some Ti to produce a sort of a mix? Where's the Ne?
    I actually have a hard time seeing anything other than the actors' own types in movies
    Even if she is playing a type, why does she look so stern and speak so categorically? Why does she seem depressed and preoccupied -- tortured, actually -- if she's supposed to be dreamy ? Why is she so dreadfully serious?
    But yes, I can see that they're trying to create a atmosphere, especially when they talk about death.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also want to talk about nicole kidman. I could see INTj. I just saw her new movie the Invasion. She is beautiful!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    i also want to talk about nicole kidman. I could see INTj. I just saw her new movie the Invasion. She is beautiful!
    Agreed. Did you see her Rolling Stone cover?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan

I actually have a hard time seeing anything other than the actors' own types in movies
    Even if she is playing a type, why does she look so stern and speak so categorically? Why does she seem depressed and preoccupied -- tortured, actually -- if she's supposed to be dreamy ? Why is she so dreadfully serious?
    But yes, I can see that they're trying to create a atmosphere, especially when they talk about death.
    makes people look calm and dreamy when they are thinking of pleasant things and it makes them look serious and internally tortured when the thoughts are less pleasant. I looked at the interview from when she was 16. Her eyes keep flickering. She looks tense, but her eyes jump from one thing to another. She even interrupts the interviewer once! She is either EIE or IEI. In the interpreter interview she gestures with her hands when she talks, she makes short laughs to set the emotional mood in the conversation. She has a soft pleasant voice which is also one of the methods to set the mood. When she stresses something, her eyes pop out a little bit and she talk louder and with a serious voice (for 2 seconds) and then switches right back to the pleasant voice. She can manipulate the impression she gives with playful ease. This is strong Fe.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/