Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISTps what are your views on education?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTps what are your views on education?

Has there ever been such a combination? Do you feel it's necessary? How do you find the motivation? Is this type related?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband dropped out of college. But in fairness, his mother (ESFj) is the one who made him go, and she decided he should major in Communications, because that's where she figured he needed the most help.

I'm sure there are ISTps who do well in school, so long as they study something they are interested in and that feels useful to them. Communications for a particularly non-communicative ISTp probably wasn't a good idea.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I know plenty that go through it without a lot of effort. Just make sure that it's a techincal field where you don't have to memorize a lot of useless crap.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ask because I've been being pushed a lot lately from numerous people to go. I genuinely have no desire to and think it's a waste of my time, energy and money. I just can't picture myself enjoying it no matter what I studied...no matter how much I liked the subject. I change my mind every day on what I want to do, how on earth could i possibly endure four years of the same thing? I just wonder if any other ISTP's feel the same and if they've been succesful without going.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband dropped out, and pretty early into it, and is successful. He views that time as a waste, although he said he had fun getting high and having sex with college girls.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha, I think those exact things would distract me entirely too much anyway.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had never thought of that, but of the ISTps I know best, personally --

One started several different courses, never finished them. He did not lack ability; he seemed not to see "the point" and soon got bored. Once he got started in a career, though, he worked very hard and is successful.

Another one started working in a major corporation as an office-boy and the company helped through college. Whether he's have studied something if he had not worked there, well, I don't know.

Most of the other ISTps that I can think of have technical-level jobs ie without a college education.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I just ask because I've been being pushed a lot lately from numerous people to go. I genuinely have no desire to and think it's a waste of my time, energy and money. I just can't picture myself enjoying it no matter what I studied...no matter how much I liked the subject. I change my mind every day on what I want to do, how on earth could i possibly endure four years of the same thing? I just wonder if any other ISTP's feel the same and if they've been succesful without going.
    careful, though. some people have what it takes to be successful without the piece of paper. but i've seen even ones who do feel that they are at risk in organizations due to the lack of piece of paper.

others don't have what it takes and find themselves doing the kind of work that you don't need a degree for....and unhappy.

my advice is to find something you like, like business for example, something really concrete, and get it done.

FWIW.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started university. Its incredibly stimulating and i like the fact theres plenty of people around.

I have been wondering if there would be many ISTp's around. Funnily theres one possible one i felt this strong pull towards yesterday in a tutorial. The tutorial was sociology though? She was probably another type i dont think the soft sciences would be much interest to an ISTp?

I think if an ISTp was to do higher eductation, they study something concrete like Diamond said.

Medicine
    Engineering
    Sciences
    computer programming
    Economics
    etc..

Im sure they are easily smart enough to pass its just a matter of sticking with it.

Edit: Lol my INFj friend just rang me up all excited hes having a good day at university. He feels really "talkative" today and was hitting it off with this girl LOL.

Jessica, i would say that there are plently of other deltas in higher education so you will see us around
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been into the arts myself, never a fan of any of those subjects : /

I was horrible in the sciences. Only class I managed to get the highest score possible every year was art. Actually miss that class.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit dont let me tell you what your good at. If your good at Art or anything else do it

As a wild guess i think male ISTp's would have an easier time finding jobs without further education. Male ISTp's are like the perfect handy-men. My ISTp friend could be a mechanic, bricklayer, carpenter, electrician no worries. I say that with the utmost respect. I would rather an ISTp electrician wiring up my house than an ENFp and burning my house down.

I think male ENFp's are in the reverse situation. Female ENFp's seem to be able to find little neiches for themselves with no need for education. I feel more pressure to try find a career.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all i can say is that i know a lot of istp computer dorks whose biggest hang-up (in terms of their career prospects) is not their education or intelligence but their incredibly horrible fucking attitudes

Creepy-bg

I love the horrible ISTp attitude... heh they make me crack up

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My ex has two Masters of Science, but boy was that a task...now he probably makes around $90,000 a year (if not more...).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband makes very good money and doesn't have a college degree. It can be done.

I have a college degree and would be lucky to find a job for $25,000. Our state is not in good shape economically right now though and I have a liberal arts degree, so maybe that isn't a good example.

A college degree is not the end-all-be-all. It certainly increases your chances of finding a good job. If there's something you'd like to study that you find useful (I think that's important for an ISTp to stick it out) then go for it. But don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out for you. My husband's surgeon when he got his appendix out was very very ISTp and I'm sure he went to school for ages. The ISTp next door is a CSI scientist. ISTps certainly *can* go to school, finish school, and do well.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My boyfriend dropped out of school at 16. Has no regrets. Haven't found what he wants to do yet. And just yesterday, he was talking about how lost he feels.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was really lucky today. I got to hang out with my old ISTp friend, and he happened to bring along one of his friends. Another ISTp! lol.

I went with them to watch them drive their remote control cars. It was funny they would drive their cars off a massive jump then a part of their cars would break. Then they would sit down and fix whatever it was that was broken. 20% actually driving and 80% fixing hehe. I got to witness first hand how practical they both were with repairing their cars

The real nice part was just the sitting there with them as they repaired things and talking sometimes. Oh yea and they both like Bonzai plants.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to be a magnet for istp's. I don't think I'll ever meet an enfp.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, I have no clue. The only thing that even remotely holds my attention are the arts and of course to excel in that is by going to college.

I'm so d*** unmotivated. I'm getting annoyed with myself. I know i could do so many things and be successful but i put every single thing off and see too many reasons why i shouldn't do something. Today is a bad day. I think the main issue here is motivation...not type.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, I have no clue. The only thing that even remotely holds my attention are the arts and of course to excel in that is by going to college.

I'm so d*** unmotivated. I'm getting annoyed with myself. I know i could do so many things and be successful but i put every single thing off and see too many reasons why i shouldn't do something. Today is a bad day. I think the main issue here is motivation...not type.
    actually, I've read that ISTps are one of the types that has a hard time starting anything. I think it's true. You have to know there is a return if you are going to waste your time. Maybe if you spent time thinking about what your ideal return/profit you could pick a future. sort of like starting at the end.
    asd

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great. Reading what heath said, I really have no idea what to suggest to my boyfriend.
    He has been feeling lost over what he should do, or to specialize in.
    And he's been stressed out about this for awhile and I feel so helpless. I am helpless. sigh.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite. We are both magnets to each other. I am a magnet for ISTp guys not girls
    When you actually think about how it happened, it wasn't magnetic at all. The other delta ISTp had a delta ISTp friend. So Jessica try to meet an INFj, ESTj, or ISTp guy. Meet all there friends and they are bound to have some ENFp's sprinkled among them.

arts and of course to excel in that is by going to college.
    Do it. Im also pretty damn unmotivated but i normally get things done in the end.

Great. Reading what heath said, I really have no idea what to suggest to my boyfriend.
    He has been feeling lost over what he should do, or to specialize in.
    And he's been stressed out about this for awhile and I feel so helpless. I am helpless. sigh.
    Aww Mea. Maybe he can some short courses or do a career test?
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enfps just tend to meet a lot of people. put yourself out there more and you'll meet more enfps in all likelihood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually at a community college right now, but it's gonna be my last semester. I just can't find the motivation to do school work anymore. Everyone tells me that graduating college is the new equivalent of graduating high school and that I'll feel a huge sense of accomplishment afterwards. The thing is that everybody told me that I'd have a huge sense of accomplishment after graduating high school as well, but afterwards I didn't feel like a better or happier person because of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger thornhill
    I'm actually at a community college right now, but it's gonna be my last semester. I just can't find the motivation to do school work anymore. Everyone tells me that graduating college is the new equivalent of graduating high school and that I'll feel a huge sense of accomplishment afterwards. The thing is that everybody told me that I'd have a huge sense of accomplishment after graduating high school as well, but afterwards I didn't feel like a better or happier person because of it.
    Why are you going to college? Is there a particular job that you are trying to get? What do you like to do? Are the classes you are taking going to help you or allow you to do it?
    I dont think college in an of itself is such a big deal unless its opening doors that you want to walk through.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Why are you going to college? Is there a particular job that you are trying to get? What do you like to do? Are the classes you are taking going to help you or allow you to do it?
    I dont think college in an of itself is such a big deal unless its opening doors that you want to walk through.
    On a side note, I have considered this question every now and then 'cos I don't seem to enjoy what I'm doing, to the extent that there are times when I feel that I'm not been true to myself and just following the crowd 'cos "everyone" goes to college these days. Sometimes I'm angry about myself for not standing up for what I believe in. I would probably be taking short courses in dressmaking or fashion design if I had chosen not to go to college.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger thornhill
    I agree, it's bullshit. I never feel accomplished for something that I am "forced" to do, like school. Now, of course, college is also full of girls, that's mostly my motivation for actually showing up to class

Anyway yes, college is the equivalent of high-school graduation now, however if you are able to find yourself a niche where your skills are in demand, nobody will care about the level of your education.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    On a side note, I have considered this question every now and then 'cos I don't seem to enjoy what I'm doing, to the extent that there are times when I feel that I'm not been true to myself and just following the crowd 'cos "everyone" goes to college these days. Sometimes I'm angry about myself for not standing up for what I believe in. I would probably be taking short courses in dressmaking or fashion design if I had chosen not to go to college.
    Thats interesting Eunice. Perhaps you should consider that when selecting your major Or maybe you could include some classes in that direction during your term. Its a good oportunity to learn something you might enjoy.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Thats interesting Eunice. Perhaps you should consider that when selecting your major Or maybe you could include some classes in that direction during your term. Its a good oportunity to learn something you might enjoy.
    Yes, that IS a good idea Topaz, however, in Singapore, that would not be as easy.
    The government has set a certain standard & system, so much so that almost everyone follows this structure regardless of their dreams. I rarely see someone actually pursuing and realizing their dreams in this country.
    It's all; primary sch >> secondary sch >> junior college/polytechnic/institute of technical education >> (national service for the men) University.
    Rarely do people choose other paths & succeed. Even parents force their children to go through this path of education, and simply go out to work for a company with pathetic starting salaries($1200-$1800 per month).
    Even if they were to learn something they enjoy, it does not make much difference.
    Also, if a person were to go to the institute of technical education after their secondary sch, many people would simply condemn them as "stupid", that they are not smart enough to qualify for a better education.
    This is the way the government categorizes people in this country. You HAVE to be good at english, math, science.
    The rest is not as important. And it's so stupid when they actually start questioning why the arts are not as developed in this country when they do NOT recognize it much. You could never find a good arts course in a main stream school.

And I don't mean to sound discriminating here, but this a beta government, the person who controls everything is an ISTj.
    URGH! I'll stop now. I don't wanna get sued. (freedom of speech my a$$)
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(In case you are wondering about the starting salary range, $1800 is approximately US$1,182.)

@Topaz: I would like to take hands-on classes in school, but there are no such degrees or even classes offered in the public universities here. So no Art, Fashion Design, Film, Sound and Video, Forensic Science degrees etc. One or two private schools here offered a few such courses at diploma (Associate degree) level in which you can progress to get a external degree, but it cost a bomb. I agree with Mea that it's hard to find a comprehensive Arts programme here. There is too much emphasis on traditional education to the extent that many people became unsure of what they are really interested or good at since they are not exposed to many options while growing up.

Since this is a thread on "ISTp and higher education", I think ISTps here have a harder time finding their niche in life, based on what I heard from the few ISTps I have known so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eunice thats really a drag
    I had no idea how tough it was for creative types in Singapore. There are lots of opportunities in the US for creative pursuits but there is lots of competition too. In reality artist as a whole dont make a great deal of money. Even the instructors at my college have to dont have it that easy.

Topaz

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath

actually, I've read that ISTps are one of the types that has a hard time starting anything. I think it's true. You have to know there is a return if you are going to waste your time. Maybe if you spent time thinking about what your ideal return/profit you could pick a future. sort of like starting at the end.
    I struggle with motivation aswell, and always have done.
    I did a degree in physics (classic ISTp there ) , but it was a struggle to complete, I was ok for the first and second years, but the third I was really struggling to do, I kept wanting to drop out. I was initially on a 4 year course, but I changed it to 3 years, I couldnt stand anyother year. I didnt find good work after, mostly through lack of motivation and desire/drive to find something good. After a few years I decided I wanted to do something before I got too old lol, so I started a new course in computing coz I thought it would be a good thing to work in, im still doing it and I keep thinking now that I might drop out. Its hard not to think its a lot of effort for nothing, and that it wont make any difference in the long run anyway. What has helped is you make friends during courses, which is good, but the things I have done are dominated by guys, in our class of about 60 there is only me and 2 other girls
    Its funny coz I like technical things like computers, but think if I got a job as a programmer or something, the woman in me would rebel and I wouldnt be able to do it too long before I went mad. Its a tough weigh up between ISTp blokey technical things and softer girly arty/ design things that I cant weight up. I reckon when I reach the age of 60 I will still be saying what do I want to do and wont be able to decide. Maybe I should just forget about the 'big' money making jobs, I dont care much for the status thing or even the money anyway... hmm.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe, im sure thats why I just seem to meander through life, not really getting anywhere or building up to anything, I just do whatever I think I will enjoy day by day , moment by moment.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat

One started several different courses, never finished them. He did not lack ability; he seemed not to see "the point" and soon got bored. Once he got started in a career, though, he worked very hard and is successful.

Another one started working in a major corporation as an office-boy and the company helped through college. Whether he's have studied something if he had not worked there, well, I don't know.

Most of the other ISTps that I can think of have technical-level jobs ie without a college education.

i'm with an ISTp, and yes he is also like that. he has trouble sticking to uni courses not because he can't do them - he's exceptionally bright and can often do assignments in a short time - but he couldn't see the point. he likes to do things the outcome of which is readily apparent to him. even though being INTj, i certainly can do theoretical exercise just for the fun of it, i do try to explain to him the necessity of doing the exercises in math and scientific method, but he just gets really bored. however, he is very good in craftsmanship trades, ranging from engines, woodworking, electronics and design of all of them.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat

i'm with an ISTp, and yes he is also like that. he has trouble sticking to uni courses not because he can't do them - he's exceptionally bright and can often do assignments in a short time - but he couldn't see the point. he likes to do things the outcome of which is readily apparent to him. even though being INTj, i certainly can do theoretical exercise just for the fun of it, i do try to explain to him the necessity of doing the exercises in math and scientific method, but he just gets really bored. however, he is very good in craftsmanship trades, ranging from engines, woodworking, electronics and design of all of them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I’m in the univ. and its quite the waste of time (imo). I have to finish and get a degree in smthing, its my moral obligation to do it. And what I’m studying (topographical engineering btw) is ok, it’s rather practical although the more theoretical math courses are terribly boring for me. So my major is ok I guess but I don’t want to do this for the rest of my life. In fact I don’t know what it is I want to do. I’ve been really thinking about this lately. We always hear these ppl who say to follow your bliss and whatnot. And I realized, so far what I truly enjoy, ever since I was a kid was driving, (or pretend driving, there’s a pic of the 4 yo me pretend driving my dads truck back in the day hehe). But I dunno, I’m trying other things out, to see how much I like them and maybe I’ll pursue it.

I’ve had a couple of realizations these couple of days; I’m just going to buy my time at the univ. while I figure out what I want out of life. I’ll get a job also (yes, I’m unemployed) and expand my interests for next semester. I’ve finally accepted I’m not (never was and never will be) one of those model students who take 7 courses, hold 2 jobs and have time to do extracurricular activities. I tried that out, but it was disaster. Basically cuz of the lack of motivation. I’ll just take it easy. I’ll finish my major, yes, but I’ll do it “slow but steady”. I’ll take longer to graduate but I’ll be doing other equally productive things and certainly more interesting things.

It’s such a shame I had to suspend my education to go to college.

I hit my head on an iron pole this morning. I was standing up and forgot it was there and BANG! “arg! Fuck! God damnit!” I still have a bump on the side of my head.
    Yea this has nothing to do with anything but whatever. This is the most interesting occurrence today... pretty boring day isn’t it.
    9w1

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like a good decision, Going B Zerk. Personally, my education so far has served me nothing to get the jobs I've had.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Going B. Zerk
    Yea, I’m in the univ. and its quite the waste of time (imo). I have to finish and get a degree in smthing, its my moral obligation to do it. And what I’m studying (topographical engineering btw) is ok, it’s rather practical although the more theoretical math courses are terribly boring for me. So my major is ok I guess but I don’t want to do this for the rest of my life. In fact I don’t know what it is I want to do. I’ve been really thinking about this lately. We always hear these ppl who say to follow your bliss and whatnot. And I realized, so far what I truly enjoy, ever since I was a kid was driving, (or pretend driving, there’s a pic of the 4 yo me pretend driving my dads truck back in the day hehe). But I dunno, I’m trying other things out, to see how much I like them and maybe I’ll pursue it.

I’ve had a couple of realizations these couple of days; I’m just going to buy my time at the univ. while I figure out what I want out of life. I’ll get a job also (yes, I’m unemployed) and expand my interests for next semester. I’ve finally accepted I’m not (never was and never will be) one of those model students who take 7 courses, hold 2 jobs and have time to do extracurricular activities. I tried that out, but it was disaster. Basically cuz of the lack of motivation. I’ll just take it easy. I’ll finish my major, yes, but I’ll do it “slow but steady”. I’ll take longer to graduate but I’ll be doing other equally productive things and certainly more interesting things.

It’s such a shame I had to suspend my education to go to college.

I hit my head on an iron pole this morning. I was standing up and forgot it was there and BANG! “arg! Fuck! God damnit!” I still have a bump on the side of my head.
    Yea this has nothing to do with anything but whatever. This is the most interesting occurrence today... pretty boring day isn’t it.

this post sounds almost exactly like what my ISTp would say, and the way he would say it (although he would throw a fit if i told him i referred to him as 'my ISTp' - he himself accepted it, but if i use it like that he'd balk and accuse me of putting him in boxes). including the irrelevant anecdote on the iron pole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast