Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stephen Hawking...

He's an INTj-ENTp, a member of the spacetime rational temperament. (collectively, "XNTx")

Other members of this temperament...

Albert Einstein, ENTp-INTj
    Jacob Bekenstein, INTj-ENTp

Others forthcoming... but I suspect that just about everybody who works with relativity theory specifically is one of these four types.

Last edited by silke; 07-13-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: updated w videos

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read in MBTI and Keirsey that einstein was INTP.

(even google says: did you mean "einstein intp" when i search einstein intj)

As i have read some phrases from books of him, i can relate to them clearly. And his rebelliousness and lazyness in his behaviour aren't typical INTJ or ENTJ characteristics.

By the way I think Andrew Wiles who solved the last theorem of Fermat is an INTJ after reading a book about it.

I'm not sure what type Stephen Hawking is... although i've read that he is a big star trek fan :wink:

well... these are just my opinions.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually inclined to revise my opinion of Hawking's type to ENTj-INTp... nevermind, I need to do more research.

But Einstein was definitely ENTp-INTj.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    I'm actually inclined to revise my opinion of Hawking's type to ENTj-INTp... nevermind, I need to do more research.

What arguments do you have about einsteins type? A lot of people would disagree. And why 2 types?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno

What arguments do you have about einsteins type? A lot of people would disagree. And why 2 types?
    There are pretty strong arguments for ENTp in Einstein's case. There are some rather strong arguments for INTp too, but the MBTI community could very well be wrong about Einstein's type.

I don't know what kind of creature an ENTp-INTj is in tcaudillg's opinion. Einstein was clearly not an INTj, anyway, and not a typical INTp either (he had a too positive attitude in general for example) so ENTp (of some sort) makes sense. One thing we can know for sure is that Einstein had Asperger's Syndrome (whatever that phenomenon turns out to be when we will come to know its neuro-biological nature in more detail in a not too distant future).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Einstein was clearly not an INTj, anyway, and not a typical INTp either (he had a too positive attitude in general for example) so ENTp (of some sort) makes sense.
    too positive? wouldn't agree with that reading the things he said. and btw INTP aren't that negative.
    Richard Feynman is an ENTP, if you would compare him and einstein you would certainly know that einstein is not an ENTP.

Einstein himself reported to be a loner, having nearly no social live.

And asperger syndrome (autism) is a form of more extreme introversion if i'm correct.

I even dare to say that einstein is a stereotype of an INTP.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm.. as far as type goes theory pretty much dictates that the INTp is the most negatively criticizing type, this due to their occupying the top of 'negativist' and 'narrator' at the comfortable vantage point of an intuitive thinker. Also Richard Feynman is labeled an ENTj on Rick Delong's site, and Rick's typings generally proove to be very reliable.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually thinking he may be ENTj-INTp. Surely he has won himself the hidden agenda of "strong love." He is the modern face of physics and millions look to him for inspiration with regard to life's mysteries. If that's not strong love I'm not sure what is. He is also highly respected for his struggle with illness. If is his hidden agenda, then he's facing a tough life indeed.

ENTp-INTj means that a person invents a situation in their mind and then analyzes its content. For example, a person who spends their entire life on a train that does not stop might well conclude that the train remains motionless and the world endlessly passes by. INTj slave asks what the person will conclude given this imagined situation, which prompts ENTp master to produce a statement of that person's reality as relative to that situation. It's basically hard-wired thought experimentation.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually thinking he may be ENTj-INTp. Surely he has won himself the hidden agenda of "strong love." He is the modern face of physics and millions look to him for inspiration with regard to life's mysteries. If that's not strong love I'm not sure what is.
    what?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I'm actually thinking he may be ENTj-INTp. Surely he has won himself the hidden agenda of "strong love." He is the modern face of physics and millions look to him for inspiration with regard to life's mysteries. If that's not strong love I'm not sure what is.
    what?
    Read my crosstype hidden agendas thread.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually thinking he may be ENTj-INTp. Surely he has won himself the hidden agenda of "strong love." He is the modern face of physics and millions look to him for inspiration with regard to life's mysteries. If that's not strong love I'm not sure what is. He is also highly respected for his struggle with illness. If is his hidden agenda, then he's facing a tough life indeed.

ENTp-INTj means that a person invents a situation in their mind and then analyzes its content. For example, a person who spends their entire life on a train that does not stop might well conclude that the train remains motionless and the world endlessly passes by. INTj slave asks what the person will conclude given this imagined situation, which prompts ENTp master to produce a statement of that person's reality as relative to that situation. It's basically hard-wired thought experimentation.
    hmm, this is some akward spiritual-like explanation. It's still not clear what you mean by ENTP-INTJ, does it mean that the person has 2 types in his behaviour? It almost looks as if you are creating some new type-theory based on non-existing situations.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    hmm, this is some akward spiritual-like explanation. It's still not clear what you mean by ENTP-INTJ, does it mean that the person has 2 types in his behaviour? It almost looks as if you are creating some new type-theory based on non-existing situations.
    HAH-HAH. That's Tcaud for you.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's called Socionics?
    Last edited by 717495; 11-01-2011 at 09:55 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    Hm.. as far as type goes theory pretty much dictates that the INTp is the most negatively criticizing type, this due to their occupying the top of 'negativist' and 'narrator' at the comfortable vantage point of an intuitive thinker. Also Richard Feynman is labeled an ENTj on Rick Delong's site, and Rick's typings generally proove to be very reliable.
    I type him INTp and for the reasons which you've stated; negatively critical...just like Megadoomer.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stephen Hawking

r.i.p.

I didn't check to see if there's a thread on him. Type?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda like this cheesy quote by him "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is a hard type coz of his condition, I think I seen a thread of him here somewhere. Probably LII. rip

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ILI, perhaps.

Should I make a joke about his robot voice and here? Probably not.

MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch the theory of everything~

he had a great sense of humor, let his wife fall in love with another man and spend time with him, then he fell in love with his nurse and divorced from his wife, the nurse used to beat him but he never admitted that, although signed up for divorce... (had a soft spot for nightclubs and Playboy too)

apparently ILIs don't have too much affinity with God and the unknown, therefore I'd say ILI

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ILI-Te works

Ni/Te converts inner worlds into new modes of thought.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

R.I.P.

I remember reading A Brief History of Time over a decade ago, back then I thought he was LII, basically, he described and explained the structural patterns of phenomena (Ti) and converted them into an accessible model (Ne). ILI I had never considered, I'd have to re-read him with ILI in mind to see if it fits.

A Brief History of Time was actually the first physics book I read, and I believe the only one. Keep in mind I read a translation and not the English original, which may have thrown me off with respect to his typing, but he did strike me as LII back then.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rest in peace Dearly missed. These news are hard to take.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    ILI-Te works

Ni/Te converts inner worlds into new modes of thought.

That sounds more Ti Ne. Id type him LII

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rip

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Ashes to ashes... RIP

http://socionicsdatabase.blogspot.co...n-hawking.html

Alpha NT Ne-way.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    That sounds more Ti Ne. Id type him LII
    Ti is data collection. It doesn't have to do with inner worlds.

Ni pertains to the inner world and is a cognition for one's own highly nuanced inner reality. Te-creative functionalizes this inner reality through new modes of thought. In Ni/Fe, inner reality converts into new modes of expression.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII-Ti I think

EII.
    Last edited by lavos; 03-15-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been reading A Brief Historty of Time and just started reading The Universe in a Nutshell, brief considerations:
    -the works present a big quantity of data, they're not analyzed or worked out, but plainly presented to inform of the develepment (in the course of time) of the scientific ideas.
    - the works focus on the concept of time in the Universe and its properties, more than anything else; the analysis of time has worked as a lever to develop the discourses on black holes.
    -the dynamics of black holes is highly imaginative and not directly proved, the ideas of Hawking, although highly probable have not yet been "discovered", for they're the fruit of his mind, supported by the data that has stratificated around black holes.
    -his works don't break down on hard logic, as in a mathemathical frame, but rather tend to unificate different schools in a new theory, the theory of everything.

For this it seems more probable to me that he's a ILI, the entire focus is on a Ni quest for something out there, but so deep and profound that we call it black holes (eheh, no wonder). Black holes are really scary objects in space, they suck everything in and there's no life left outside of them... they're literally dark entities, and the focus in Gamma Ni is usually a very obscure one.

All his ideas are supported by hard data, facts and action-reaction dynamics, which would support Te as creative function.

There's tons of Ti too, sure, but that's a demonstrative function, not the focus of Hawking's work. His focus was the discovery of the unknown, which is more likely Ni.

It's telling that he was very pessimistic and would say that it's very probable that there are other lives in space, but it wouldn't be good if we had to meet them, for they'd try to destroy us (kind of reminds me of Stephen King).

Even for this pessimism around new possibilities I'd say Ni > Ne.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Occam's twilight razor: An ESE posing as an EII, pretending to be LII. Ti seeking af!:

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm obviously just joking. NT for sure. Most likely INT. I don't know if he falls into any particular type. He seems to fit both the Ti and Ni descriptions. It doesn't matter which way you want to go. He could be an LII with strong Ni and Te, or an ILI with strong Ti and Ne, if you were to go by functions alone. If you look at quadras, I would think alpha fits well. Typing has some very real limits.

Hawking very much believed that there was a universe that could be objectively understood by humans, at least in theory. He recognized the limits of science, but did not make the mistake of relativizing science with "other paths to knowledge". Science is about the best we can hope for, unless another method is discovered, which we seem mentally and cognitively incapable of imagining. His thoughts were directed toward narrowing the least likely alternatives toward the most likely ones.

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking. What an incredible genius, scientist, and thinker.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it really doesn't matter

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    it really doesn't matter
    pun intended?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've always thought he was ILE. It is easy to see why people would think or PoLR from his quips.

His favourite book was Middlemarch, which I found intriguing.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did watch The Theory of Everything and his relationship with his wife really bugged me, tbh. I just found it all really disturbing...but to each their own.

I also thought ILE.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys the Universe in a nutshell is like a revised brief history of time, read the nutshell if u have to pick one~

yeah aster, I felt bad for both of them tbh... for her to be with him in those conditions (because of how hard it must be).. and for him to see her be in love with someone else... anyway theyve been friends forever after, and that's the best <3 i think it was her love to make him live so long : )

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably LII,
    not ILI
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Our science correspondent Pallab Ghosh remembers his many interviews with the great physicist - the first was perhaps the most memorable.

"I first went to interview Prof Hawking in 1997 at his office in Cambridge.

"I felt a mixture of awe and excitement as I waited for the man who for years had been my idol.

"He seemed to smile at me as he entered the room which immediately put me at my ease.

"The camera operator I was with wanted to make a last minute adjustment to his lighting and so he asked Prof Hawking's staff if he could pull out one of the plugs in the office so that he could use the socket for his equipment.

"Without waiting for a response, he pulled the plug and the room was filled with a deafening siren.

"Prof Hawking then slouched forward and I feared that my colleague had inadvertently unplugged a vital piece of life-support equipment.

"Fortunately, it was the alarm to the uninterruptable power supply to his office computer and he was slouched forward with mirth at our incompetence."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast