Thread: logic

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default logic

There seems to be some confusion at present about what exactly "logic" is. Recent examples include talk about logical consistency and attention to logic.

Quote Originally Posted by the English language
    logic

noun
    1. the branch of philosophy that analyzes inference
    2. reasoned and reasonable judgment; "it made a certain kind of logic"
    3. the principles that guide reasoning within a given field or situation; "economic logic requires it"; "by the logic of war"
    4. a system of reasoning
    5. the system of operations performed by a computer that underlies the machine's representation of logical operations

Quote Originally Posted by Socionics
    Extroverted Logic: external activity of objects: events (what, how, where), activity, behavior, algorithms
    Quote Originally Posted by Socionics
    Introverted Logic: logical relationships between objects: systems of rules, hierarchies, comparisons of quantifiable properties, logical judgments

As you can see, "logic" as defined by the English language is something that everyone uses in some manner. People's personal logic is simply whatever makes sense to them or in their situation. Unfortunately, socionics uses a lot of words which can be misleading as names for various things, such as dichotomies and functions (perhaps partially due to the language barrier). This leads to a lot of confusion, and miscommunications result.

Consistency in one's reasoning can be due to many factors, such as intelligence, environment, experience in debates, education, rationality/irrationality, etc.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone seems to be in a good mood today!
    Semiotical process

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adderall + pain = long, cranky posts
    SEE

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this because of dj's type thread?

I think only 4. of the definition you posted is similar to what you said. Also I think being consistent is definitely different than valuing or getting angry at violation of it. Not to say anything about the type.

I actually am always interested in discussing systems of logic. *bumps thread*

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, 4. fits what I was talking about best... the point is that the definition of logic includes it, not that it's limited to that. And this isn't solely because of Peter's type thread. There are some PM conversations behind it as well, mostly talking about the differences between ESTps and ESFps, something I've recently discussed with several different people via PM.
    SEE

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, any type can use logic. INFj's excelled at excercizes in formal logic assignments in the last class involving such that I have attended. But what should be kept in mind is that logic always presupposes a premise of some kind, and it is the thinking functions that provide such. In the end it may yet be that the T types are the only ones that get to 'use' their logic in day to day affairs, whereas F types spend their days wondering how to excercize their logic on a set of misaligned, chaotic, gradual variables that give them no footing of certainty of any kind or other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat
    Sure, any type can use logic. INFj's excelled at excercizes in formal logic assignments in the last class involving such that I have attended. But what should be kept in mind is that logic always presupposes a premise of some kind, and it is the thinking functions that provide such. In the end it may yet be that the T types are the only ones that get to 'use' their logic in day to day affairs, whereas F types spend their days wondering how to excercize their logic on a set of misaligned, chaotic, gradual variables that give them no footing of certainty of any kind or other.
    Logical types often seem to have a strange internal sense of confidence about the correctness of their conclusions even when they are not backed up by any reliable data or foolproof reasoning. Sometimes it appears annoying, often times enviable.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson