Thread: what's the point?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default what's the point?

I'd like to hear what people think of as the point... the point in their learning about and thinking about socionics, the point in socionics in general, the point in posting on this forum, etc.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol ... dunno about posting in the forum .... but the point of everything else is to eable you to eat, survive and reproduce more effectively !

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point in my reading about and learning about socionics: it is interesting, and hopefully it might give me a greater understanding of relationships in my life - especially ones with bad communication.

The point of socionics in general: People like to try to understand each other.

The point of posting in this forum: There are two points. First, there's some collective knowledge here and it helps people to share that collective knowledge and increase their personal knowledge about Socionics. Secondly, why do anything? Why do people watch TV or read People Magazine? It's more interesting than either of those options.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Lol ... dunno about posting in the forum .... but the point of everything else is to eable you to eat, survive and reproduce more effectively !

yeah, for people who are open-minded and smart enough to know it isn't concrete, but a small tool used for increased understanding of human behavior.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with SlackerMom. For me personally, it helps me understand people better and to not hold things against them. To realize why this and that type might not be compatible and that there's a logical explanation as to why we are the way we are. I simply find it interesting.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironically, I have been able to understand others and their motivations better than myself. So I guess I see Socionics as a way to understand myself better, and I'm still in the process of doing so.

Anyway, I think I might have developed a Socionics obsession. I can't help assessing and typing people around me. It's like a natural reflex. I even caught myself trying to relate the music I'm listening to to a function, or attempt to type TV characters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found Socionics (and MBTI before I came to know anything about Socionics) so interesting that I couldn't help reading more. It's a kind of addiction.

The point in posting here and reading is about to gain deeper understanding. I hate not understanding something. People and relations are something I have a hard time understanding, so I hope someday I will understand. So far, I have learned to value people, who are different from me, more than before.

I think my friends have got bored of me always asking questions about them and others, when I try to type people.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics can't make sense until you know what your correct type is, assuming you have one.
    SEE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Socionics can't make sense until you know what your correct type is
    QSFT.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to answer the question, so that i can apply it. improve on relationships. get myself into situations that are more comfortable for me. understand others better and hopefully step on their toes less.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Know about humans, know about reality --- or more so, how humans interact and interpret reality.
    And that affects essentially everything in the human realm
    It also allows understanding for your own limitations and default settings, your own inherent defaults.

Also,
    I have successfully diagnosed relationships, and people of non-dual relations have increased their realtionship through undersatnding that is directly from socionics, when other things failed. Socionics allowed for more information types (functional) to become more conscious.

more later

PS: I'm sure several of us are here because of you, Joy
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    PS: I'm sure several of us are here because of you, Joy

doubtful
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Numerous people will use socionics, and likely not comment about it,
    for gaining a competitive edge on people, or at least knowing such that they could if necessary.

And there are people who have no intentions of using such, but being observant of such, will learn the material so as to defend themselves from those who seek to exploit them with it.

(obviously)
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one aspect of socionics that people will realize as being important when they look back from the future is:

socionics clearly presented a framework that established that functions of the mind are not the absolute.
    Clearly, if there were only functions, if there as only mental processing, if there were only mental structures, you would not be able to understand what I am talking about in this sentence.

in short, it is a pathway into diferent understandings of consciousness and awareness, among other things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Why do I come here?

Originally an interest in self-analysis. These days, procrastination. Jesus Christ...I am lazy. Unacceptable even by introverted-irrational standards. This thread has been enlightening. Thank you. *leaves*
    IEI subtype

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To satiate and satisfy curiosity. I guess pleasure is the goal.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree: Socionics is lots of fun.

But I really need to find a dual. I realize that my relationships have deteriorated to the point where it is becoming psychologically unhealthy. It's strange, I've had so many dual relationships in the past. I have an idea of what went wrong: a change of circumstances, leaving most of my old friends (including a few duals) behind; entering a new environment where my strengths are less rare, and therefore less valued; stagnating for want of intellectual stimulation.

It's rather depressing, but I'm optimistic that another change of circumstances will give me what I need. Perhaps other INTjs already in college can tell me what the transition is like?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no baggage or close relationships to lose, so the transition was not a problem for me.
    I actually rather enjoyed the emphasis on independence... but unfortunately if left alone that could lead to a deep isolation for an LII
    (I still don't like eating at cafeterias because I generally go alone... so I eat at other places)
    Like in the Filatova description, relations are probably the LII's actual weakest point.

My suggestion, get involved in stuff.
    Establishing contacts with more social people may be useful. But also use the staff of the university to your advantage -- advisers, teachers, ... there are many people there who you are paying a great deal of money. Use them.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    The point in my reading about and learning about socionics: it is interesting, and hopefully it might give me a greater understanding of relationships in my life - especially ones with bad communication.

The point of posting in this forum: There are two points. First, there's some collective knowledge here and it helps people to share that collective knowledge and increase their personal knowledge about Socionics. Secondly, why do anything? Why do people watch TV or read People Magazine? It's more interesting than either of those options.
    Yeah, all of the above, for me.

At first I wanted to understand one particular episode of my life, then I saw how it helped me understand other things (like my relationship with my ISFp father and my Alpha family generally) and people generally.

Right now I post mainly for distraction, interacting with interesting and intelligent people, and FWIW trying to help others understand Socionics.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom

Yeah, all of the above, for me.

At first I wanted to understand one particular episode of my life, then I saw how it helped me understand other things (like my relationship with my ISFp father and my Alpha family generally) and people generally.

Right now I post mainly for distraction, interacting with interesting and intelligent people, and FWIW trying to help others understand Socionics.
    yeah....it's not like you'd be able to talk about a technical theory like this with just anyone. they'd be bored out of their mind....hence the forum! wtf we are ALL into this crazy theory here. cool though.

ILE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, UDP.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    yeah....it's not like you'd be able to talk about a technical theory like this with just anyone. they'd be bored out of their mind....hence the forum! wtf we are ALL into this crazy theory here. cool though.
    Good point--I tend to get a lot of weird looks when I start talking about Socionics IRL.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush

Good point--I tend to get a lot of weird looks when I start talking about Socionics IRL.
    I think I once was irritated and told my students to please muster some .
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Kim

heh I'd be pretty confused if a teacher told me to "muster some black triangle"

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat

Oh, they were! The look on their faces when I furiously drew that black triangle on the board. But then that's what you get with
    an ENFp. That and worse.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i told my older daughter to "do the Si" with my younger, while "i do the Te". she says, what's Si? i say that's when you try to make people relaxed and comfortable. so she goes and gets my younger daughter a stuffed animal. then i zoom in with some facts about the situation. presto: enfp younger daughter immediately calmed down!

ILE

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat

Oh, they were! The look on their faces when I furiously drew that black triangle on the board. But then that's what you get with
    an ENFp. That and worse.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I will need to teach my students Socionics so I can communicate better with them. I am serious.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will need to teach my students Socionics so I can communicate better with them. I am serious.
    So have you figured out all their types?

I imagine Socionics would take a long time to teach.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No, I meant that then I could talk in Socionics lingo: "Ok, come on people, stop the Se bullshitting and let's hear some Te!"

I can spot some types easily: ENTj, INTj, ISTp, ESTp.
    But I will not claim that I can accurately type my students. They couldn't accurately type me. Classroom interaction is not suitable for typing, thus I believe most of you type your professors wrong.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dunno. It gives me something to think about when interacting with others.
    asd

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I meant that then I could talk in Socionics lingo: "Ok, come on people, stop the Se bullshitting and let's hear some Te!"

I can spot some types easily: ENTj, INTj, ISTp, ESTp.
    But I will not claim that I can accurately type my students. They couldn't accurately type me. Classroom interaction is not suitable for typing, thus I believe most of you type your professors wrong.
    I'm calling bullshit. You have to speak in front of them day after day after day. Of course you plan some stuff, but your personality naturally comes out in your teaching style: how you answer questions, how you structure lessons, what kinds of points you try to make, what you talk about spontaneously, etc. All of my teachers have extremely consistent behaviors that correspond to socionic types.

Do you teach college? Perhaps in college the interaction is too distant for typing--but I doubt it.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I teach college and I can type some students and not others. I doubt any of you would type me as
    ENFp if you were to observe me in the classroom.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I teach college and I can type some students and not others. I doubt any of you would type me as
    ENFp if you were to observe me in the classroom.
    Hmm, that's interesting. How does your behavior change exactly?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am more dry and sarcastically funny. Scattered but not ditzy (as usual). I FEEL maternal
    but I don't show it through words or intonation (actions, yes). I am very laidback in an ENTp
    kind of way. And I teach argument, so it's a lot
    of Ti stuff. I remind myself of Blaze when I teach and could see people typing me as ENTp.
    Unless I work with you one on one. Then the ENFp comes through.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more dry and sarcastically funny. [...] I am very laidback in an ENTp
    kind of way.
    I had an ENFp history teacher like that, fwiw. (I don't really see ENTps as laid-back, in general? Maybe you mean familiar.)

I actually had this amazing ENTp Lit teacher who I thought was ENFp (or ENFP) for the longest time. Then I had a "duh" moment. Ironically, like you said, the F impression may have come from the subject matter--Romantic literature. But it was not supervision at all. Don't you feel at least a little self-conscious (or annoyed) around that INTj student?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing: I think ENFps (or really any Fi type--an ISFj teacher I had also thought I didn't know her true personality) sometimes work very hard at seeming professional, in a Te kind of way. Then again so do EFjs--though they're really not as good at it, IMO.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning about typology is an educational experience. Everybody should have some minimal amount of understanding of the system, if only to make the transition from impulsively thinking 'that person behaves in malicious way X because he is EVIL!' to 'that person behaves like that because he is of a type that conflicts with my own.'.

Currently I study socionics in conjunction with various branches of analytical philosophy, formal logic and math, to develop for myself an all encompassing philosophical framework. The great think about socionics is that it connects with just about everything you meet in life, thus making it ideal for building associative networks around.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

[quote="thehotelambush"]

I actually had this amazing ENTp Lit teacher who I thought was ENFp (or ENFP) for the longest time. Then I had a "duh" moment. Ironically, like you said, the F impression may have come from the subject matter--Romantic literature. But it was not supervision at all. Don't you feel at least a little self-conscious (or annoyed) around that INTj student?
    Yeah, there clearly is a discipline bias when it comes to T and F and it's annoying. Same phenomenon as all these xSFj mothers...

I will admit that of all types, the INTj students are the most likely to get me worried about seeming less competent. I don't really worry, but I will admit that there is some supervision vibe going on. And I can see being a benefactor with ENTj students. But I really don't pay all that much attention to Socionics when I teach. :wink:

As for wanting to appear professional. I would say I am professional when I have to. I don't work on it, I just naturally slip into the mode. I live and work in a Te environment, so I process information and situations through Te more than if I did something else. And that's why I think people would mistake me for a T type if they saw me act in professional settings (classroom, conferences, etc.). But ENFps don't have to put on an act. They have a naturally serious side to them and are good at acting appropriately in different settings.

And I don't think professionalism has anything to do with type.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote="Kim"]

Yeah, there clearly is a discipline bias when it comes to T and F and it's annoying. Same phenomenon as all these xSFj mothers...

As for wanting to appear professional. I would say I am professional when I have to. I don't work on it, I just naturally slip into the mode. I live and work in a Te environment, so I process information and situations through Te more than if I did something else. And that's why I think people would mistake me for a T type if they saw me act in professional settings (classroom, conferences, etc.). But ENFps don't have to put on an act. They have a naturally serious side to them and are good at acting appropriately in different settings.
    Of course.

And I don't think professionalism has anything to do with type.
    I disagree, but it's not something I particularly feel like arguing atm.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like figuring people out, and the way I see it, this is just one more tool.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...