Thread: PoLR

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PoLR

There's this idea that seems to be common here that people don't use their PoLR function. I don't believe this is correct. We may wish to avoid it, but I don't think that's really possible to do this in a healthy way. Attempts to do so could lead us to some sort of unhealthy extreme.

There's a reason it's called "Place/Point of Least Resistance" and it's not because it's easy to just simply not use the function. It *is* a conscious function, and a producing one as well. I see it as the area where we are unable to defend ourselves when criticized, but also unable to properly control the use of. It's like we're unable to stop or control or defend against our PoLR function coming at us, but we're also unable to properly control/stop is from coming out of us as well.

That's how I see it anyways.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also difficult for us to recognize when we're being unreasonable about our PoLR function and do not like it when others point this out.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have recently been told that when i use Fe it is really gross/disgusting/fakey.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I'll bet that sorta stung
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all reality, learning to temper myself to Se is my greatest and most rewarding challenge.
    Everything else, for me, is a manifestation of how choose to deal with .

Some aspects, like gruesomeness, (in movies anyway), I just don't like. In terms of reality, or facing the truth, however, I cannot legitimately turn away, and I think that is an example of Ti>Se. In terms of dealing with the truth of facing the consequences, or standing up for myself when I feel I need to, Se is not a problem.

Why..... just today, we were having an exam, and all the teachers and proctors were pasing paper out. They happened to not send enough for my row, for me, so I raised my hand. The proctors were moving towards the back of the room, so I instantly realized they would not see my hand. And then I instantly moved from my seat, and walked to the back of the room, in front of about 200 people, to get my test from the proctor.
    I overcame Fi role --- disturbing other people, and/or making the proctor feel stupid for not giving me the test
    and Se --- in that I would be 'afraid' to go back there, or get my own stuff, and just wait for them.

IN all honestly, Se is as I said above: my greatest and most rewarding challenge.
    Se struggle in finding something, out of so many Ne possibilities, to work on and believe in and settle on
    and Se struggles to live it every day.

Other than that, really, I don't think I have any issues in my life at all
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever seen what might otherwise be characterized as a "group of losers/nerds" blatantly ignoring their responsibilities? I have seen both sides -- and I must admit that it is a wonderful feeling when you are a part of group that completely ignores all your PoLR responsibilities.
    ILI

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vigilante
    Have you ever seen what might otherwise be characterized as a "group of losers/nerds" blatantly ignoring their responsibilities? I have seen both sides -- and I must admit that it is a wonderful feeling when you are a part of group that completely ignores all your PoLR responsibilities.
    yes, these are people i feel completely comfortable around.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The group I was in (for like 4 years) which was like that was made up of Deltas, a couple of Gammas, and a few unhealthy Alphas. Unfortunately, they are quite the hedonists and as a result accomplish very little. The other Gamma in the group, my INTp brother, cut way back on hedonistic behaviors in favor of mental wellness and education/career. But yes, I was very comfortable around them (for the most part... a couple of the Alpha females are the exception).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III

Why..... just today, we were having an exam, and all the teachers and proctors were pasing paper out. They happened to not send enough for my row, for me, so I raised my hand. The proctors were moving towards the back of the room, so I instantly realized they would not see my hand. And then I instantly moved from my seat, and walked to the back of the room, in front of about 200 people, to get my test from the proctor.
    I overcame Fi role --- disturbing other people, and/or making the proctor feel stupid for not giving me the test
    and Se --- in that I would be 'afraid' to go back there, or get my own stuff, and just wait for them.
    lol, you find it intimidating to go up to a proctor to procure a piece of paper?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm impressed with Te in others. Especially in arguments. I will spend half an hour trying to convey why the other person is wrong and then a Te person comes along and sums up the key point I was missing in a sentence. Amazing.

I become irritable over Te critisism mostly because it is a reminder that that part of reality exists and I have to deal with it or suffer the consequences of negligence. Often without prodding from others, I will completely ignore everday life Te issues [just recently when I went to do my taxes, I realized that I had tossed out many important documents over the past year that I need. Now I have to go through the time-consuming process of trying to obtain copies of them.] I envy Te folks ability to care about the issues I find incredibley dull to deal with.
    IEI subtype

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol....Te is my polr? O_o Doesn't feel that bad....
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    I'm impressed with Te in others. Especially in arguments. I will spend half an hour trying to convey why the other person is wrong and then a Te person comes along and sums up the key point I was missing in a sentence. Amazing.

I become irritable over Te critisism mostly because it is a reminder that that part of reality exists and I have to deal with it or suffer the consequences of negligence. Often without prodding from others, I will completely ignore everday life Te issues [just recently when I went to do my taxes, I realized that I had tossed out many important documents over the past year that I need. Now I have to go through the time-consuming process of trying to obtain copies of them.] I envy Te folks ability to care about the issues I find incredibley dull to deal with.

i envy Fe folks ability to open people up and make them comfortable. i had to do my internship with an INFp and let me tell you, he was 1,000 times more comfortable with the students than i was and 1,000 times more likeable. very skilled communicator.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I envy how Fi people seem to be able to stick to what's their duty - not that I really envy it, more like, admire.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I envy how Fi people seem to be able to stick to what's their duty - not that I really envy it, more like, admire.

i find this incredibly f'ing admirable, too.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I avoid Ti, and if I see a thread here that seems to be full of Ti ramblings, I generally close it without responding or even reading the whole thing.

I am glad that there are Ti-dominant people in the world though.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I avoid Ti, and if I see a thread here that seems to be full of Ti ramblings, I generally close it without responding or even reading the whole thing.

Hmm. Yes. Me too.
    I agree.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I envy Si people's ability to not look fidgety and restless. As the opposite of them I keep scanning the situation for what will happen next, but I forget to relax while doing so. I can actively "relax" and I'm OK at doing that, but when I stop thinking about it, I stop relaxing myself. It makes other people a tad bit nervous, because they sense that I'm not really talking with them, but in stead waiting for what they do next and to where I should take the conversation from there. At least I think they sense it.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vigilante
    What do you mean?
    Like apperance?

As for a group of such, I don't think I would feel wonderful around a group of people who didn't 'take care of porl responsibilities'
    My LII room mate, who is Se clueless, makes me very wary of such.
    Instead of comfort it is... the opposite.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These days, my inability to cope with Si issues cause more pain than Te. And I admire my ESTj teacher for his ability to fall asleep in a matter of minutes instead of hours -- free from distractions and the constant feeling that there's something wrong. My ENFj friend would probably admire him for the same reason, since his sleep and health problems were much worse than mine. He had a habit of going for days without sleeping and eating -- one meal a day or stay up for 3-4 days until he was thoroughly depleted. He either couldn't fall asleep because sleeping towards the left felt as uncomfortable as sleeping towards the right, or because he could feel time slipping away from him. He thought sleep was so inefficient that he even conceived ways to reduce the need for sleep.

The ability to feel time can be a living nightmare. The image of a train surpassing you while you chase after it in vain can keep you awake and alert in the need to catch up to Time -- what the train symbolizes. Even if it's at the expense of your health. But to some, it is far more preferable to endure physical torture than the emotional scars that are engraved for every defeat in the perpetual battle against time. If you ask me, having Ni in one's ego is more of a curse than a blessing. I sometimes envy Si types for their ability to not view life as battlefield.
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raisonpure
    And I admire my ESTj teacher for his ability to fall asleep in a matter of minutes instead of hours
    how do they do that?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    And I admire my ESTj teacher for his ability to fall asleep in a matter of minutes instead of hours
    how do they do that?
    Exercise for 20-25 hours a week. At least that's how I do it.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol how do you know he does that?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    lol how do you know he does that?
    oh no of course i didn't mean that, i just stated my solution.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

er, I meant that to be directed to the young lady who has knowledge of her teacher's sleeping habits lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    er, I meant that to be directed to the young lady who has knowledge of her teacher's sleeping habits lol
    I interrogated him, of course. Our values clashed, but I acquired sufficient data on our similarities and differences to penetrate sufficiently into his mindset -- his strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes, motivations, and way of looking at things...

*cackles evilly in near ENFj fashion*
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are referring to Ti=Philosophy, I am one of them who close it without reading the whole thing.

On the other hand, I don't know why, but I find guys in my school who talk about Philosophy very attractive. It feels different when it's said rather than written.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    how do they do that?
    Exercise for 20-25 hours a week. At least that's how I do it.
    hmmm... compared to my .002 hours/week... it's only a 38 million standard deviations from the norm; i don't think there's a statistically significant differnce there.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive had that "so troubled and preoccupied i cant sleep for hours" thing....

....and Fabie's answer works 100% for me

(anytype of work or large amount of energy expending)
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You admire ISFjs then, not Fi people. :wink:
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin