Thread: Many people have no type?

Default Many people have no type?

I remember someone writing on here that some people don't possess a type. Is this possible? Are there people who just seem to randomly pick functions out of the air and have no true preferances? If it's true that some people have no type than wouldn't that invalidate V.I.? Seems to me that people would have to be born with a type if V.I. is accurate because obviously you aren't going to drastically change your physical appearance every time you randomly pick new functions. Then again I suppose such people could be made out of Play-Dough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kibbles & bits.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

I've been reading about your quest to determine which type you are and I could relate as I also find myself never feeling sure about which type I am. If it's true that some people have no type then I might be one of them. I'm pretty sure I'm an introvert though. I definately need my alone time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typeless Wonder
    I've been reading about your quest to determine which type you are and I could relate as I also find myself never feeling sure about which type I am. If it's true that some people have no type then I might be one of them. I'm pretty sure I'm an introvert though. I definately need my alone time.
    These people have types, they're called INFPs.

The idea of people have no type is a fabrication and intuitive leap based on VERY little actually evidence. Someone might have mentioned that during a time when they were confused. I have never met a person like that in my life. Not only VI, but I'm sure you know I like other ways of identifying people by the physical, and it always lines up. There are not "untypeable" people IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think anyone on this forum has said that (unless i missed it). in my experience the people who "have no type" are usually IxxP. according to classic typology the goal was to equally develop all of your functions and be a complete person. i am not sure this is possible (perfectly) and i think people often confuse 'balance' with development which can happen whilst maintaining type. look for example at levels theory which can explain some of the observational discrepancies that exist in socionics. you seem -VERY- Ni dominant to me typeless wonder but whatever

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kibbles & bits.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you misunderstand the intent of my words but i will let you figure it out for yourself

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kibbles & bits.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

These people have types, they're called INFPs. Razz

The idea of people have no type is a fabrication and intuitive leap based on VERY little actually evidence. Someone might have mentioned that during a time when they were confused. I have never met a person like that in my life. Not only VI, but I'm sure you know I like other ways of identifying people by the physical, and it always lines up. There are not "untypeable" people IMO.
    i don't think anyone on this forum has said that (unless i missed it). in my experience the people who "have no type" are usually IxxP. according to classic typology the goal was to equally develop all of your functions and be a complete person. i am not sure this is possible (perfectly) and i think people often confuse 'balance' with development which can happen whilst maintaining type. look for example at levels theory which can explain some of the observational discrepancies that exist in socionics. you seem -VERY- Ni dominant to me typeless wonder but whatever
    Yeah, I'm becoming more confident that I'm probably INFP. Even though I think I've believed myself to be every type at some point, I like having a lot of solitude but occassionally have to go out and try to be the center of attention. I'm also very attracted to those people and things that exist on the fringe of society and are anti-conventional.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    i think i get you. maybe.

do you mean development vs balance like piagetan development, maturity etc... vs balance like using all the functions to some degree?
    yeah basically

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who appear to have no type either have an identity problem or were traumatized and seem neutral about everything. INTj's and INFj's also have a lifetime challange to find out who they are, because they don't seem their image, so on a forum someone who doesn't think they have a type or can't tell their type might be an INTj or INFj, or someone who had psychological issues, or maybe even a very developed person who shows ballanced output of every strength that exists.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm becoming more confident that I'm probably INFP. Even though I think I've believed myself to be every type at some point, I like having a lot of solitude but occassionally have to go out and try to be the center of attention. I'm also very attracted to those people and things that exist on the fringe of society and are anti-conventional.
    Yah, even though I know I'm an INFP, I always think... "Oh, maybe I'm this type instead"... I always question it. I truely think all this is just another example that you truely are an INFP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that no one knows when type develops for sure, but they hypothesize that it is sometime very early in childhood.

Environmental factors do influence us to an extent, but our genetics also steer us in a given direction.

The type manifests through behavior and value systems. Even when you think you are not a type, or can't figure it out on your own, type develops through your creative acts, what you produce. You generate this automatically through your behavior. Your output means that you also automatically generate needs as well as weaknesses. All of this is law, it is a rule.

But the "type" well, functions are loose definitions, nomenclatures, if you will. If the definition of functions have no literal structure then how can a person's type? This is a very important thing to think about. Structure helps us, but socionics isn't exact since the information is all mixed together.

But the "play-dough" analogy is a great one. Also think about this though:

When we live our lives we accumulate different types of information in different quantities. The initial mass of information you receive automatically gravitates you towards information of the same value(like things tend to fit together better structurally). So perhaps we are genetically pre-disposed to accumulating a certain type of information at birth, which makes us receptive to picking up(j or p, for example). But there is also a sort of hazy zone that further specifies this (S or N and T or F).

But what if you mix certain amount of different colored play-doughs together? In the end you wind up with a general shade. Some shades are more different then others, but all in all there can be a general way of looking at the shades in categories.

As far as my understanding delves at the moment, you cant ever really not be a type because that contradicts some laws. You can be alot of types perhaps(not at once) but then you would be really messed up and lead a very looney life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the simple answer to this question is that if you find someone that seems to have no type, then you need to sharpen your typing skills.

:wink:
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if mothers who blast their music through their subwoofers during the 9 months of labor, have a specific type of baby. Aside from the retarded type.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I think the simple answer to this question is that if you find someone that seems to have no type, then you need to sharpen your typing skills.

:wink:
    Yes!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slava
    I wonder if mothers who blast their music through their subwoofers during the 9 months of labor, have a specific type of baby. Aside from the retarded type.

I like the way you think