Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musicians

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Musicians

Since I'm a fan of finding real life examples of types, let's talk about some musicians. I'll post my opinions, but keep in mind that this is in no way definitive; I hate definitives. Some people keep on forgetting that right away, and criticize automatically with out giving any reason. Ok, here goes;

Bob Dylan- INTP

Elvis- ESFP

Anthony Kiedis- INFP
    Flea- ISTJ
    John Fuscante- ENTP?

Van Halen- INFP

Billy Joe- ENTP

Mick Jagger- ENTP
    Keith Richards- ISTP

Kurt Cobain- INFP
    Dave Grohl- ISTP

Cedric Bixler- ISFP
    Omar Rodriguez- ESTP
    Jon Theodore- ISTJ
    Flea- ISTJ

Jimi Hendrix- INFP

Micheal Jackson- INFP

Eric Clapton- ENTP (J?)

Freddy Mercury- ENFP ?

I think that's a nice start.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Some hard rocking INFPs up there. I always liked Kurt Cobain's music, I could identify with his type of sarcasm. Some think Kurt Cobain is an INTJ though, but I remember his wife saying that Kurt often had a sweet temperament in his private life. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elbow tchaikovsky freezer burn

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Classical Musicians (of which barely anyone will recognize or care about, and which most are major pianists):

Ludwig van Beethoven: ESTj (just a guess)
    Frederic Chopin: INFp
    Franz Liszt: ESTp
    Claude Debussy: INTp
    Maurice Ravel: INFp
    Sergei Prokofiev: ENTp
    Sergei Rachmaninoff: INTj
    Dmitri Shostakovich: INTp

Not sure about the rest.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Any idea about Bruce Springsteen's type, anyone?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kibbles & bits.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definately would have thought Beethoven would be an introvert type, and Mozart probably an extrovert type... but they've been dead too long for us to ever know, lol.
    I agree about Mozart. He composed way too fast to be an Introvert. The only reason I typed Beethoven as ESTj is because he was well-known for being very hot-headed, misinterpreting people's emotions and intentions, and working non-stop for days at a time.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Musicians

edited

Creepy-pokeball

I remember some chart about the learning rate of music somewhere. The summary was basically that N's learned music faster but the IN's were faster than the EN's. Or something like that...saw it a year ago online.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Cedric Bixler- ISFP
    Omar Rodriguez- ESTP
    Oh cool! I like Mars Volta.

Is there some kind of connection between functions and musical ability? What function would correlate with perfect pitch? My INTj brother and I both have perfect pitch, so I was wondering about that.
    A lot of people do.

I don't know about pitch and that kind of stuff. One thing that I have noticed is that the SFP types seem to belt out pure, long notes better than any of the other types (like Cedric). Two ESFPs I can think of who do this as well are Aretha Franklin and Whitney Housten.

And something intersting I'd like to point out about The Mars Volta; they are all sensors. Most of the time intuitive types are stereotyped as being better writers and musicians... and more creative. The Mars Volta is one of the most creative and progressive bands out there, but I don't see any intuitives in the bunch. Ha!
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//

I don't know about pitch and that kind of stuff. One thing that I have noticed is that the SFP types seem to belt out pure, long notes better than any of the other types (like Cedric). Two ESFPs I can think of who do this as well are Aretha Franklin and Whitney Housten.
    Makes me think Karen Carpenter might also have been an ESFP. I remember watching a documentary about her life sometime back and she seemed to be either ESFJ or ESFP. She seemed to rely a lot on the opinions of others even if they were fallacious which ultimately caused her death (someone calling her band "fatkid" or something like that on a ratings chart) and she also wanted to have a lot of children. Sounds like something an ESFP would do.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kibbles & bits.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lkj
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most obsessed types are INFps and INTps IMO. I listen to music all day long since I've been 15. And I know INT/Fps which are the same way.
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kibbles & bits.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's great fun and it's $#@ fascinating to jump from one subculture to another.. too pity that they all become boring at some point. I just kinda assimilate them and I had to start search for something new which is mega funny too. I think INFps and ENFps can do this leaps very easily.

Black Molly: yeah there are always exceptions
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah, I'm another INFP extremely obsessed with music. I'm glad there's plenty of musicians to represent our type.

Dave Navarro - ENFp
    I hope your right. Then the ENFP's will finally have a great musician to represent their type. :wink:

Creepy-

I'm pretty sure Navarro is ESTP.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there some kind of connection between functions and musical ability? What function would correlate with perfect pitch? My INTj brother and I both have perfect pitch, so I was wondering about that.
    Plain and simple, music has nothing to do with type. Period.

Natural perfect pitch is caused by repeated exposure to well-tuned instruments (like pianos) during infancy and childhood. In fact, it is possible to learn perfect pitch as an adult. So I wonder if you and your brother, Herzblut, have a musical family?

Learning ability and technique also are not type-related. They are acquired through external factors like teachers using the proper methods, motivation, opportunity, etc. Believe me, if you ever hated/sucked at/quit playing an instrument as a kid, it was probably your teacher's fault.

And people who obsess over music usually have nothing better to do. Even pianists like me. :wink:

Some advice for the newer Socionists: you may find alot of opportunities to apply Socionics ideas to everyday happenings, but remember that correlation does not mean causation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I definately would have thought Beethoven would be an introvert type, and Mozart probably an extrovert type... but they've been dead too long for us to ever know, lol.
    I agree about Mozart. He composed way too fast to be an Introvert. The only reason I typed Beethoven as ESTj is because he was well-known for being very hot-headed, misinterpreting people's emotions and intentions, and working non-stop for days at a time.
    ISTJ IMO.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VERY true. I think that Socionics really can only go so far. It probably has more to do with why and how someone accomplishes something as opposed to what they accomplish. An ISTp will approach a piece of music differently from an INFp <- they may eve react to the music differently, but both are equally valid ways of going about it.
    Right, and type is especially important in interpretation. For example, the INFp composers were noted for their 'elegant' style of composition. And I forgot a composer...

John Cage: INFp

INFps were also revolutionaries. Chopin himself stated that money was irrelevant to him because he was a revolutionary. Hard to believe that Socionics tells us that INFps are constantly hungry for money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFps were also revolutionaries. Chopin himself stated that money was irrelevant to him because he was a revolutionary. Hard to believe that Socionics tells us that INFps are constantly hungry for money.
    I'm an INFP and I believe that money is overrated. I could care less about money, as long as I have a couple luxuries... not many. I mean, it's nice... but the way socionics.com makes it sound is kinda just BS.

I think INFPs are only interested in money because deep down I suspect a lot of us realize that about the only way to escape the ravages and brutality of this society is to be dirty rich so you don't have to really participate in the grind of it anymore. I have to admit I dream of being rich a lot but only because it represents escape from the grind for me, not because it means I can own a lot of things. Th idyllic life is the one for me, the high-pressure, highly competitive environment worshipped in today's society I can't stand.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jlkj
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an INFP girl and she talks about money all the time. She even told me that if was rich one day she might marry me. lol. She's said before that money is the only thing really important in a mate. I don't think all INFPs are this extreme, though.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-

fdsf

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Quote Originally Posted by Black Molly
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I know an INFP girl and she talks about money all the time. She even told me that if was rich one day she might marry me. lol. She's said before that money is the only thing really important in a mate. I don't think all INFPs are this extreme, though.
    Well, some of us are and some of us aren't, I guess.

I wouldn't marry for money alone, but it is VERY important to me. Very materialistic. Have lots of financial problems because I spend like there's no tomorrow. ESFP daughter loves spending with me. On the other hand, we were at the campus bookstore and Cone said, "Don't think you're buying me anything 'cause you're not!" The only way he let me buy him a new pair of shoes is that I threw the other ones away, where he couldn't dig them out of the garbage -- he would too. They were old and worn out. Drives me crazy.

That must be an INTp thing. I never let people buy me things. Okay.. sorry music.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money? who gives a flip about money, so long as I have friends and family ... But, I barely have that, so I guess I am poor and greedy. Or maybe I am just another one of those ENTps with poor social skills and an inability to know how to make steady friends out of people. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get married or gain complete independance, even though I totally strive for that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast