Thread: musically inclined

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default musically inclined

Could you please describe your experience when reading music?

I realized today while playing piano that if i want to register notes with their names it takes me longer. The way i read music is by how they look for example the spacing between the chords (and yes I am a novice by all means).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That'a how Daniel reads music and he's been playing since he was very little. He's one of those people that can pick up any intrument and automatically start playing something, whether he's ever held the instrument before or not.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: musically inclined

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Could you please describe your experience when reading music?

I realized today while playing piano that if i want to register notes with their names it takes me longer. The way i read music is by how they look for example the spacing between the chords (and yes I am a novice by all means).
    This is more of an "anything goes" topic, but yeah, just like with foreign languages, if you're translating something (.i.e., through an intermediary word, etc.), you're using your mind less efficiently than if you can go direct.

I'd say, try to associate with notes with the exact quality of what the notes are. Get to where you can experience an "A," and also experience all the intervals and harmonies. You still know it's an "A," but you don't translate from the written A to the letter "A" to the note; you just go right to that quality of A-ness.

The most important thing is to not let the mechanics of reading the note influence in any way the time when you play it. Try reading several notes at a time, sort of like instantly memorizing the next several bars, and then from your short-term memory play the notes at exactly the time that expresses them the way you want....sort of like if you were talking (as opposed to someone obviously reading from a text).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is not something i've ever really thought much about.

as far as reading goes, i am fairly good at such things as technique (ie proper embouchure, proper breathing, etc) and relatively poor at sight reading.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My method of reading music is I have certain reference points in my mind, where I've learned that a specific part of the sheet corresponds to a specific note, and any other notes I'll just work out from that reference point. I can't sight-read though, I have to work out the notes before-hand and then play them after that.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances