Thread: Wanting to know everything

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wanting to know everything

Which types are NOT inclined to want to know everything?

I feel strong urges to seek knowledge at most of my waking hours when I am healthy. I seek hedonistic pleasures when unhealthy.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if the above is correlated to healthiness.. say I do the first often.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wanting to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    ISFj, for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good call.

ESFjs in particular do not want to know about anything if it will upset them. (Some subtype description illustrated them pretty good in that regard). That sort of Fe ESFj I could never be with, because, well, I'm me.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj - polr again.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel strong urges to seek knowledge at most of my waking hours when I am healthy. I seek hedonistic pleasures when unhealthy.
    ( I know exactly what you mean)

Anyway,

I believe LIIs can be very bad if they do not want to know something. Any Ti, as I said it before. Any type of course. But if an LII in particular doesn't want to know something, then look out because something is up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most people without Ne as a quadra value will have a lot of pretensions about information and what they want to know.
    asd

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it is type-related. I'm one of those who are not inclined to want to know everything. I'm only interested in learning things that interest me or are beneficial to me. Knowing too much is not a good thing. It only makes u more cynical about life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see below
    ENTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is apparently ESTj and by no means wants to know everything. Most things in the world don't interest her. She only wants to know things which are useful at work, home etc. and she always has to have a goal in mind before she starts to learn something. If she has a goal then she will thoroughly study everything related to achieving that goal but other than that she doesn't have much curiosity.

I am really into knowing everything. Or at least knowing something about everything. This continuous search for new (useless?) information is one reason why my wife tends to see me as some Ne-type instead of a more strategic and focused Ni-type. She can only take that much of my endless blapping about new information I have read. So far I have disagreed with her about Ne>Ni but she seems quite consistent in her opinion...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    My wife is apparently ESTj and by no means wants to know everything. Most things in the world don't interest her. She only wants to know things which are useful at work, home etc. and she always has to have a goal in mind before she starts to learn something. If she has a goal then she will thoroughly study everything related to achieving that goal but other than that she doesn't have much curiosity.
    Sounds very much like me.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't read much, I just take existing models and constantly think about them and process possibilities non stop and generate contingency plans and when i'm idling I just have random visions that lead to new serious thoughts. I can't turn it off, even when im drunk. I wish I could turn it off. It's like flashes of symbols morphing in my consciousness all the time and a non verbal dialog that controls the context, and like 10% or less of my consciousness is actually directed to my senses including eyes. Once when I hydroplaned in my car, my vision suddenly became much brighter and focused and i felt very relaxed, then when the danger was gone, i could feel my consciousness sink back into the depths of my brain and my vision faded slightly. When I look at the world with my eyes I feel like im looking at it through a 1 foot thick neural network where each inch extracts a certain level of information depth. Sometimes I see tracers from moving objects and I can play them back or see them as a shape, then query it against existing stored patterns from any context.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wrong above... All of them are Ej types. I thought a work partner was an ISFp, but saw her again tonight and it occurred to me that she might be an ESFj. She has the same trait, as do my ESTj dad and an ENTj friend.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the wise ones
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand how someone can, not know everything, when everything you observe has implications that draw a big picture.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    the wise ones
    This makes negative sense. At the best it's a normative judgement motivated entirely by semantics. The post contains no context to suggest that anyone actually intends to know everything.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ncassidy
    the wise ones
    This makes negative sense. At the best it's a normative judgement motivated entirely by semantics. The post contains no context to suggest that anyone actually intends to know everything.
    I think he meant that ignorance is bliss, therefore a wise choice.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slava
    the wise ones
    I saw it as a positive statement asserting that the types not inclined to want to know everything are the wise ones... sorry for my bitchiness if it wasn't intended to be.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the wise ones
    I saw it as a positive statement asserting that the types not inclined to want to know everything are the wise ones... sorry for my bitchiness if it wasn't intended to be.
    First it's normative, then positive? lol

What I meant was trying to know everything is an insurmountable, fruitless task, and the more wise people would want to know what they can know but should know that wanting to know too much more then that is a waste of time. Isaac Newton invented calculus, modernized physics, and was the first person to realize that color is something that doesn't exist outside of someone eye... and he still didn't know everything or even close. Do you think you're smarter then he was?

There's better thigns you can be doing with your life.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was the first person to realize that color is something that doesn't exist outside of someone eye...
    What was he smoking? I want some. Jk... I understand there is a difference between marijuana realizations and logical realizations... with logic, you figure things out, but they don't become a reality, just something you derived. With weed, your mind accepts it as part of your environment.
    -Slava

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goal is slightly different - i would like to be the best at everything I do, I don't exactly care about knowing everything, even if it would be a nice addendum.
    Usually my desire to learn something new appears in relation to a task I have to execute that requires to learn that thing. I always try to do new kinds of task to motivate myslef to learn new things.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you know a lot of things it all begins to fit together and then suddenly you can know a shitload of things, then the models simplify and you can not only know a lot of things, but u can extract them very quickly. Fuzzy logic kicks ass.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was the first person to realize that color is something that doesn't exist outside of someone eye...
    What was he smoking? I want some. Jk... I understand there is a difference between marijuana realizations and logical realizations... with logic, you figure things out, but they don't become a reality, just something you derived. With weed, your mind accepts it as part of your environment.
    Umm, I think he said something to the effect of we see colors only because certain things absorb light from "white light", and whatever it does not absorb is what is left over for our eyes to interpret as "color". I have to admit, that's pretty genius.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I just watched a video about him, it said he played with his eye ball too and almost damaged his vision. Thats a pretty damn strong curiosity. He was also very much involved in religeon and believed that the trinity was a blasphemy. I wonder what his perception felt like.
    -Slava

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't read much, I just take existing models and constantly think about them and process possibilities non stop and generate contingency plans and when i'm idling I just have random visions that lead to new serious thoughts. I can't turn it off, even when im drunk. I wish I could turn it off. It's like flashes of symbols morphing in my consciousness all the time and a non verbal dialog that controls the context, and like 10% or less of my consciousness is actually directed to my senses including eyes. Once when I hydroplaned in my car, my vision suddenly became much brighter and focused and i felt very relaxed, then when the danger was gone, i could feel my consciousness sink back into the depths of my brain and my vision faded slightly. When I look at the world with my eyes I feel like im looking at it through a 1 foot thick neural network where each inch extracts a certain level of information depth. Sometimes I see tracers from moving objects and I can play them back or see them as a shape, then query it against existing stored patterns from any context.
    i relate to the bolded. Actually the last statement, what I do is I see patterns in moving or still objects, and maybe play several "videos" at once to see the "shape" of the reality of the relation.

It's weird because i also don't read much unless I am interested in something, and won't research something in general unless i have a problem or am interested in it already. I may be associating certain functions with certain thought processes too closely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTp, but in a different way than other types...

A. Impossibility of knowing everything.

B. Since there would be nothing left to know, then that would remove the ENTps existential need for understanding.

C. Its not really important to know the details of everything (:

D. Something sort of interesting will come along that will prevent complete understanding of a particular subject preventing mastering of all knowledges.

of course.. that doesn't mean we won't try.
    / ILE - E(NT)p? 7w8 so/sx

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanting to know everything seems like a foolish waste of effort to me.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to have an outline of everything, and then fill in parts of it, and connect parts to other parts and then when there is redundancy or room for simplification you can do entropy data compression and make a smaller tighter indestructible model. It's impossible to know all the details and facts, but it is possible to know the patterns of nature in order to figure them out on your own.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Wanting to know everything seems like a foolish waste of effort to me.
    Yeah, at first it sounds like something someone smart would want to know, but then you realize that it's just a bit... immature?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!