Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Langan - smartest man in the world

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chris Langan - smartest man in the world

this is an interesting discussion on rick's blog.

(url cropped)

you can see my interpretations in the comments section, but i would be interested to hear everybody's thoughts.

Last edited by silke; 08-03-2014 at 04:00 AM. Reason: updated videos

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely LSI
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    definitely LSI
    With all that talk of "possibilities," "essences," and such? Nevar. LSE ftw.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote is ESTj.

For starters, there seems to be a correllation between high intelligence in N's and neurosis. Also, the higher the intelligence, the more difficulty fitting into normal life. Add in childhood abuse and you now have an even higher expectation for neurosis.

This man acts ESTj all the way. He almost brags about coming from an abusive childhood, he's capable of functioning in the real world even if it is a "low paying" job.

He talks about how he passed multiple grades without even trying. And yet he still walked away with knowledge from school. Every time I meet a highly intelligent person...or read about them....they tend to have difficulties in school, skipping classes to go to the library or to go work on an experiment of their own devising, or to go carry on conversations with adults in some field of interest, or becoming under-achievers.

It seems that the majority of the "intelligence" in him stems from stuff he's read and not too much from what he's thought up himself.

I can't get into all the little things that pop up into my head, nor can I do justice to the feelings I get about him. I'll just end by saying:

He seems very ESTj to me and seems to have an excellent way of categorizing information (in his head) for future use.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

Wait, I thought this thread was about me... :wink:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the original question, I think IQ tests some certain kinds of intelligences, and the "bias" they have is toward intx types (since they are written by intxs), and underestimate the abilities of esfxs. IQ tests test for school intelligence. I think intelligence in general is the ability to solve problems and such.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's so smart, why hasn't he solved any major crises the world faces?

That title is completely arbitrary.

Sounds like someone who is Te dominant and can regurgitate information, based, on his amazing childhood ability to recognize objects.

And it was in his mind to 'outdo other people'. It was just his mindset. I don't think it is type related.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

Sounds like someone who is Te dominant and can regurgitate information, based, on his amazing childhood ability to recognize objects.

And it was in his mind to 'outdo other people'. It was just his mindset. I don't think it is type related.

would you at least look at the guy a little bit before you jump to completely inane and unfounded conclusions?

this is a thread regarding his type, not irrelevant arguments.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    As for the original question, I think IQ tests some certain kinds of intelligences, and the "bias" they have is toward intx types (since they are written by intxs), and underestimate the abilities of esfxs. IQ tests test for school intelligence. I think intelligence in general is the ability to solve problems and such.
    i think humans largely lack a coherent definition of what intelligence is. i dont think intelligence is a reasonable measure of anything in particular.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, I always thought that it's sad when people with high IQ don't end up in jobs that make full use of their aptitude and intelligence. What a phenomenal waste. It is society's loss without their valuable contributions.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Anyway, I always thought that it's sad when people with high IQ don't end up in jobs that make full use of their aptitude and intelligence. What a phenomenal waste. It is society's loss without their valuable contributions.
    haha, I'd rather see someone with a high IQ not using it than someone with a low IQ in a position where they make valuable contributions to society and fuck it up for everyone...lol

One of my favorite movies of all time comes to mind when reading this thread: Good Will Hunting.
    I actually watched it again this past weekend. One of my favorite roles that either Robin Williams or Matt Damon has ever played.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    why should someone be societies bitch just because they have a high IQ? Maybe the person would much rather make full use of their aptitude and intelligence in their free time instead of on a job. I don't think that'd be a waste at all, for the smart person at least. :wink:

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the aim to "hold the universe in [his or her] mind" sounds like a dominant thinker--to think of their goal like that, as something that could be obtained, and something that could be accumulated, sounds like a dominant thinker.

I don't disagree with ESTj. I know it's a made for TV, but I find the way he talks familiar.

unlike this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAnFAxMcvg .. seems ENTj, especially toward the end of this longer series.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason this guy just assumes he is intelligent ... his argument seems to be that bigger is better [he has a big head], that humans are among the smartest creatures and therefore close to being the smartest creatures, and disregards the fact that there is in existance some very intuitive and intelligent small creatures. All I have to say is this guy is no freaking intuitive.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    For some reason this guy just assumes he is intelligent ... his argument seems to be that bigger is better [he has a big head], that humans are among the smartest creatures and therefore close to being the smartest creatures, and disregards the fact that there is in existance some very intuitive and intelligent small creatures. All I have to say is this guy is no freaking intuitive.
    huh????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking something like ENTj, ENTp, ESTp. Perhaps I say ENTj because he reminds of someone who I think might be ENTj. Even though he doesn't strike me as EJ that much. I doubt the ISTj thing even though he looks a bit like Doctor Phil (whose type I don't know but is sometimes claimed to be ISTj).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington

unlike this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAnFAxMcvg .. seems ENTj, especially toward the end of this longer series.
    no LIE would even think about doing some of the stuff he did. i mean, the guy went to high school six or seven times on the basis that he wanted an enjoyable social experience (even if he doesn't say that). he looks incredibly LII to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    huh????
    In the second video he makes the assumption that smaller animals are less intelligent because they do not necessarily communicate the same exact way that a human communicate, and then attributes that to brain size, then makes the assumption that brain size equals intelligence. This is by no means true at all.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's not the size of the brain that determines intelligence. It's the brain to body ratio that determines intelligence.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the second video he makes the assumption that smaller animals are less intelligent because they do not necessarily communicate the same exact way that a human communicate, and then attributes that to brain size, then makes the assumption that brain size equals intelligence. This is by no means true at all.
    i do not understand why you then reason that he is not intuitive based on this claim. i don't think, as a general rule, that it is at all an unreasonable claim.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no LIE would even think about doing some of the stuff he did. i mean, the guy went to high school six or seven times on the basis that he wanted an enjoyable social experience (even if he doesn't say that). he looks incredibly LII to me.
    well.. I think Sacha Baron Cohen is ENTj, and he did some crazy things. But maybe the first guy is ENTj.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do not understand why you then reason that he is not intuitive based on this claim. i don't think, as a general rule, that it is at all an unreasonable claim.
    It is not intuitive because it is not an intuitive claim. If he was intuiting he would most likely make an illogical connection to the multitude of animals who are small and do things that require some sort of intelligence. Not simply make a blunderous assumption based on falible logic with the
    main assumption that humans are the smartest animals on earth meerly
    because you are one and then equate that with brain size, that is using logic not intuition.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well.. I think Sacha Baron Cohen is ENTj, and he did some crazy things. But maybe the first guy is ENTj.
    IF Cohen is LIE, you would at least acknowledge that his motivations for doing "crazy things" was extremely different from those of this guy. Cohen is a comedian, and he did ridiculous things for the comic effect. that is perhaps a suspect trait of LIEs, but it makes infinitely more sense in an LIE than the obsessive, socially-oriented, and, frankly, extremely bizarre and foolhardy behaviors that this guy demonstrates.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not intuitive because it is not an intuitive claim. If he was intuiting he would most likely make an illogical connection to the multitude of animals who are small and do things that require some sort of intelligence. Not simply make a blunderous assumption based on falible logic with the
    because you are one and then equate that with brain size, that is using logic not intuition.
    i disagree completely.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i disagree completely.
    Explain why ...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i frankly don't understand why you would equate the idea with anti-intuition. it seems like a perfectly intuitive judgment to me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

would you at least look at the guy a little bit before you jump to completely inane and unfounded conclusions?

this is a thread regarding his type, not irrelevant arguments.
    the ILI detector goes off again!

anyway, I said my opinion of his type, and it seems other have consider leading as well.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i frankly don't understand why you would equate the idea with anti-intuition. it seems like a perfectly intuitive judgment to me.
    I must not be Extraverted Intuitive then, because the assumptions he makes I will never ever make in my life and for the most part I find them very anti whatever I am.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must not be Extraverted Intuitive then, because the assumptions he makes I will never ever make in my life and for the most part I find them very anti whatever I am.
    so you're admitting that you have the exact same philosophy as any and all ENFjs in the world?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I am saying that if what he is using is not anti-intuitive logic, then I need to royally retype myself on account of finding his arguments extreemly disgusting and innacurate.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    It's not the size of the brain that determines intelligence. It's the brain to body ratio that determines intelligence.
    Assuming bigger is better is the same as assuming that a humming bird flaps its wings at a lesser frequency than that of raven, which is by no means true. The same goes for brain size. The problem with what the guy is saying is that he is assuming the intelligence of all creatures in the
    world is based around a standard of a human application of intelligence, which by no means diminishes the achievements of other animals in the world who are capable of implementing their own application of intelligence, which may not actually be anything less than that of a human.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I am saying that if what he is using is not anti-intuitive logic, then I need to royally retype myself on account of finding his arguments extreemly disgusting and innacurate.
    this proves nothing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this proves nothing.
    It proves everything to me ...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming bigger is better is the same as assuming that a humming bird flaps its wings at a lesser frequency than that of raven, which is by no means true.

?????

The problem with what the guy is saying is that he is assuming the intelligence of all creatures in the
    world is based around a standard of a human application of intelligence, which by no means diminishes the achievements of other animals in the world who are capable of implementing their own application of intelligence, which may not actually be anything less than that of a human.
    is THAT your objection? that's so badly misguided i can't even begin to describe it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's so badly misguided i can't even begin to describe it.
    And that is exactly the way I feel about the man in the film ...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's my problem. obviously you disagree with the guy. that DOES NOT have anything to do with your type. frankly, i don't think there's any conflict here at all because i think the guy is without question an type. i understand the arguments for LSE and LSI but i don't think i could see him as Ne at all.

why do you assume that the guy must be sensory rather than merely a different (or an Ni) type?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's my problem. obviously you disagree with the guy. that DOES NOT have anything to do with your type. frankly, i don't think there's any conflict here at all because i think the guy is without question an type. i understand the arguments for LSE and LSI but i don't think i could see him as Ne at all.

why do you assume that the guy must be sensory rather than merely a different (or an Ni) type?

I think it is pretty obvious that the guy is a logical J type atleast. If he is intuitive, it certainly is not his first function. Although, I looked through the rest of the video and I see the possibility of it being his second function.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah; i think LIE is by far the best fit, with EIE second.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should probably also mention that he tends towards the Hindu/Buddhist type of philosophy and view of the world.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somehow it doesnt surprise me that you should say that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast