Thread: How did you find about socionics and this forum?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default How did you find about socionics and this forum?

This is my story:

My quest to learning socionics began with my strong interest in psychology. I loved reading about dichotomies between people and it began with the simple but inciteful, left brain-right brain theory. I find out I was right brained and I now know that in a vague and simplistic sense, irrationals are right brained and rationals are left brained. Though this theory wasn't enough and I began to read more psychological theories until I remembered or stumbled into oldham, which classified me as Inventive primarily.

After learning all of the oldham types, it led me to MBTI afterwards where I decided to take my first test without having any knowledge of it and I was honest in those answers as I could be. Ironically, I scored ENFP on my first try and felt the description fit well. I began to read the MBTI theory frequently and began to comprehend the types and the functions. I read most of the descriptions vaguely, though ironically I read the ISTP description several times and found it the most interesting before I even heard of inter-type relations. Unfortunately, I felt that a lot of my questions weren't answered with MBTI.

So I kept typing in questons about personality types in the search engine and it always led to this forum. I ignored it the first few times, but after several times of the questions leading me to this forum, I decided to check it out. For a month or so I was reclusive and only monitored the forum until I felt it was a right time to join. For some reason, Joy appeared to stand out like a sore thumb at the time. Cat and whoever had a Newman avatar who was LIE at the time also stood out. The forum felt very alien to me at the time, but I like the aura I receive when discovering something for the first time.

I began to start posting in the forum afterwards with a few topics here and there. I hadn't heard of socionics yet, so I just relayed my MBTI knowledge, probably annoying people. I remember Expat was the first member to point this out to me and then I began to learn socionics to its full extent after that. What I found most intriguing and alien to me at the time was the inter-type relations. I remember every forum member being extra helpful to to me as a newcomer, especially the IEEs though Expat stood out as the one who aided me out the most. Well that's my story, what is yours?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had been dealing with some discrepancies in perspective between certain fields of study, and I was trying quite hard to reconcile them. That seemed virtually impossible with the available theories, so I kept looking for others. While doing that exploration, I learned about many different ways of categorizing things, including personality traits.

I learned about MBTI however I was very unsatisfied with it because it labelled me as a Judger (INTJ eventually, although I scored INFJ, and I really thought that I was ENTP), when I felt very strongly to be a perceiver.

So I kept reading until I read socionics.com and their critique of MBTI. They analysed precisely the thorny issue that had bothered me. That made me very very happy and I became a Socioniko Convert

I kept looking around for more info, and I found this forum, which at the time was Alpha. I joined in order to ask some questions from those who knew more about socionics.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy started calling me all the time, and one day he was like, "You're ENFj" and I'm like, "wth does that mean?" and it went on from there.

lol discojoe
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type are you Clover?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a cold summer morning ... I was making coffee. Suddenly, the phone rang. What I did not remember was that I had left the vacuum lying in the middle of the floor from yesterdays vacuuming. I tripped, smashing my head into my computers keyboard and blacked out. When I came to, I did not remember who I was and my browser was point towards this website, and for some reason I was already registered. I made a frantic posting somewhere in the forum pleading for someone to tell me who I was, and I keeped getting conflicting and confusing answers. One person said I was some guy named INTj, another ENTp ... some jerk even thought I was ISTj ... WTF? By that time I missed the phonecall and my coffee was boiling over. I never did figure out whoever it was that called. All I can say is that my life was changed for forever on account of that faithful day, may 25th, 2005 ...

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My history is even comical. There was a girl that liked me and she started to pursuit me. I was "WTF?" because I wasn't acting or anything, she seemed to like me just for what I was. At first I was reluctact to go for it, because she was 6 years older than me, with one child and divorced. But I don't have prejudice and after thinking about it for a while, I decided to go for it.

What a surprise I got when I showed her my rommantic side and she simply thought of me as infantile. So I got dumped.

Thing is, instead of getting depressed, I felt good about myself, because I really touched the heart of this girl. She still likes me (I see her time to time), she's just very practical and thought I would not be a good husband. Yeah, ESTj are like that.

However, when I got dumped, I wasn't looking at it objetively - I was too emtotionally driven. I started to think that maybe there was something wrong about me that I was not aware of. So I started to read about psychology and see if I could find what was it. Eventually, after reading thoushands of pages, doing hundreds of tests, I started to recover my objetivity: everyone gets dumped time to time; even persons who are compatible and like each other can fail to get along togheter for different reasons.

So I simply got used to the idea and forgot about this girl. But I started to like psychology and noticed that I am good at observing people. Eventually I took an MBTI test and scored ENFP, a description which was amazingly accurate. So I read everything I could about it, from Jung's work to 10 versions of each type description in MBTI/Kiersey.

I read about socionics quickly after it but didn't paid much attention because the symbols used by it remind me esoteric trends.

I made my best frieds to take the Kiersey's test and one scored ISTP and the other ENTJ. Both agreed that their descriptions were quite accurate, but what amazed me was that both said that my description was very accurate too.

Thing is, I'm quite intelligent, and having an INTj father who educated me like a NT, I always had a self image of being an NT myself. However, reading descriptions I realized that my self-perception was off and the abilities I thought I lacked were actually my strengths. If they had told me 10 years ago that my abilities were mostly related to people, I would simply had not belived it. Everyone who knew me pointed my intelligence, but nobody ever pointed that I was actually a nice person. People just seems to take such things for granted, you know...

That's why I gave a chance to socionics and quickly realized that it was the best jungian typology available. It also explained many things in explicit words that I already had intuited. Comming to this forum was just a consequence of fooling around.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took electives in game theory, psyc, and marketing. I participate in my university's psyc department test subject pool and let them experiment on me for spending money every once in a while. I work with some psychological examples in my statistics coursework, I did some project on regression to the mean where I had to work with a couple of psychology papers. I used to train in muay Thai and judo, and I used to play poker, all of which involved various mind tricks. I had a buddy who always went on and on about speed seduction and social engineering and all that jazz, and another buddy who sold shoes. I've done some leadership crap for volunteering, public speaking, led a team at a marketing job, various other people-influencing garbage. I want to specialize in the statistics side of machine learning and artificial intelligence.

So... I guess I've run into psychology a lot over the last five years, frankly I'm not surprised I got sucked into this forum. The mind is a fascinating thing
    ENTp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody at an ADD forum told me about MBTI, and I stumbled onto similarminds off of a search engine. Rocky told me to check this place out. I was disappointed to see a couple familiar faces, but other than those girls, the crowd here was much more mature, believe it or not, and the theory made more sense. I think the reason I get into this stuff was because my unconscious mind was trying to find a way to tell me that I shouldn't be with Josh.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was doing research on one of my Psychology papers, and I kind of stumbled into this forum from the search engine. Yup.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been into psychology, although never really looked too deeply into it for most of my life. When I was...16 or so, the BBC did a programme which was a much simplified offshoot of MBTI. Basically had the following options:

Planner (J)/Spontaneous (P)
    Ideas (N)/Facts (S)
    Heads (T)/Hearts (F)
    Introvert (I)/Extrovert (E)

I came out as INTP since I was terribly lazy back then. This had a profound effect on the way I psychoanalysed people, since I never really had any sort of objective method before then. I started thinking of people in terms of the labels mentioned above, and started to understand people a bit better from that.

Anyways, about a year later I revisited it, but I never really felt happy feeling that I was "Spontaneous" according to this system. It was just an intuitive feeling, but I'd convinced myself of associating with the description for INTP (or "Strategist" as they labelled it) so much that nothing else seemed to fit. Anyway, can't remember how but I stumbled upon a proper MBTI test on the internet, tried it, came out INTJ. It had a couple of links, one was to Kiersey's site, the other to some other website, I can't remember what it was now. The descriptions there fit me so much better than the BBC version did.

Anyway, getting to the point, after discovering socionics.com which, as I'm sure many do, I initially believed to be another MBTI website, I gradually started to waver between the two systems as I learned more about them. Initially I was still an MBTI fan, although I slowly became more interested in Socionics instead. Then I bought Keirsey's book, Please Understand Me II. That swung me back into MBTI for a while, although I later went fully fledged into Socionics, and barely consider MBTI these days. I have nothing against it, but Socionics has successfully stolen me instead. In due time, as I explored Socionics more, I discovered this forum. It was a long time before I registered, since originally I tried to register but my ISP was banned or something like that. So I lurked for a while, later tried registering again and was accepted. Hence why I post this here today, of course. Or did I not ever register, and am simply imagining this moment? But alas, I am straying beyond the scope of this topic.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, here is the real reason I found this forum ... I was doing research on Abraham Maslow's theory of Alpha and Beta Males and somehow stumbled onto here. For some reason this place seemed interesting, so I stayed. That was when Jimmy owned the website. The ironic thing was that when I was first posting here nearly everything I posted some people here [who were mostly jealous and pessimistic trouble makers] thought was BS and that I was some crazy attention seeker out to make a name for myself. I keeped telling the idiots that I am not out to make a name for myself, that I am obsesed with figuring things out, and that one day I would probably end up owning the place. Well, guess who is here and who is not here and who actually owns the place? And guess what! No more trouble makers ... ! They all went to either socionix or left completely ... thank God.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the truth with me is quite mundane. at a different forum (now dead) there were links to an MBTI test several years ago (namely, this one). i took it, got INTJ, and forgot about it for a while. sometime recently (it was perhaps in 2005; i don't remember) i became interested in the idea again. i don't know why. eventually, i searched around the net for MBTI stuff forever, but was mostly unsatisfied with the minimal applications and with my own difficulty in finding my own type, which i think is based on the conflicting nature of MBTI information available on the net. i wound up at similarminds, made about ten posts there in which somebody mentioned socionics, with which i was previously unfamiliar. i read some about it, sat on it for a month or so, and ultimately came here.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    What type are you Clover?

INFp or something
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Creepy-bg

GOD TOLD ME TO COME HERE
    THE DEVIL MADE ME STAY

(WTF MY KEYBOARD WON"T TYPE SMALL LETTERS ANYMORE (AND YES CAPS LOCK IS OFF!))

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wiggle the shift button?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went into a thread in delta where everyone was talking shit about my type and just haven't left yet. I figured I may as well stay just so there's at least one of my type here. Although, this was before I knew Dr. Smilex was also an estj.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I went into a thread in delta where everyone was talking shit about my type and just haven't left yet. I figured I may as well stay just so there's at least one of my type here. Although, this was before I knew Dr. Smilex was also an estj.
    hey last time I posted my picture I think a couple of people decided I was ESTj too. lol...