Thread: Manifestations of the Role function in types

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Manifestations of the Role function in types

This is something I've copied/revised from socioscope.com.

It emphasises that the role function "works" influenced by the ego functions, so it's different than for those types for whom it's a dominant function (ie the role function of EXFjs is "filtered" - or whatever - through their dominant ).

So, role functions:

(ESTp, ESFp): requires them to be an understanding and thoughtful person

(ENTp, ENFp): forces them to constantly demonstrate to others their penetrative and volitional qualities

(ISFp, ISTp): expects them to be careful and farsighted

(INFp, INTp): insists on the observance of good taste in exterior appearances

(ESFj, ENFj): makes them want so much to be seen as real professionals in their fields

(ISFj, INFj): indicates a constant neeed for learning and being objective

(ESTj, ENTj): makes them certain that everyone expects from them demonstrations of cheerfulness and energy

(ISTj, INTj): forces them to learn the socially-accepted standards of politeness and ethical behavior
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think that the above descriptions are very good for , , , and ; not sure about the others.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do want to be seen as the proffessional in my field, but I'm not sure about ESFjs. IMO they are less carieer-conscious and they just want to make it seem like the things they say are very smart.

Your role works for INFps, but not for the INTps. All the INTps that I know have had the worst grasp of fashion. They wear things that were out of fashion when they were bought 10-15 years ago.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I think there should be some differentiation between comparatives. Role is probably somehow affected by both Ego-functions not just leading function.

INTp/INFp example shows this well. INTps are likely to emphasize "long term functional dressing" where INFps are likely to emphasize "good looks and making impressions with dressing". INFp will choose gothic style etc or really fashionable style because NiFe guides their Si. It is all about making impressions. INTp will choose clothes which are functional ("do their job") and are cost effective in the long term because NiTe guides their Si.

Something along these lines.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    I do want to be seen as the proffessional in my field, but I'm not sure about ESFjs. IMO they are less carieer-conscious and they just want to make it seem like the things they say are very smart.
    Yes, I agree with that. The concern with a longer-term "professional image" is more ENFj than ESFj, Ni rather than Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    Your role works for INFps, but not for the INTps. All the INTps that I know have had the worst grasp of fashion. They wear things that were out of fashion when they were bought 10-15 years ago.
    It's not "mine", it's from socioscope.com.

And here we have the Fe and Te distinction, the INFp is concerned about the aesthetic impression on others, not so much the INTp.

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    INTp/INFp example shows this well. INTps are likely to emphasize "long term functional dressing" where INFps are likely to emphasize "good looks and making impressions with dressing". INFp will choose gothic style etc or really fashionable style because NiFe guides their Si. It is all about making impressions. INTp will choose clothes which are functional ("do their job") and are cost effective in the long term because NiTe guides their Si.
    Yes, quite so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think these are accurate to th extent that this is how people with these role function would react in our society. But, I don't think these behaviors are inherent to the functions themselves. I think they are close though.

These are examples of what I think are cultural expressions in this material.

Extraverted Thinking (ESFj, ENFj): makes them want so much to be seen as real professionals in their fields

Introverted Sensing (INFp, INTp): insists on the observance of good taste in exterior appearances

Extraverted Feeling (ESTj, ENTj): makes them certain that everyone expects from them demonstrations of cheerfulness and energy

Extraverted Sensing (ENTp, ENFp): forces them to constantly demonstrate to others their penetrative and volitional qualities

These all seems to be external qualities they are absorbing from their environment, western society. I think that for material like this to be something testable it should be independent of the environment. The other role function behaviors they give I believe don't presuppose a specific environmental condition for them to be true. They are thus more objective, and easier to test.
    INTj

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Republicus
    I think these are accurate to th extent that this is how people with these role function would react in our society. But, I don't think these behaviors are inherent to the functions themselves. I think they are close though.

These are examples of what I think are cultural expressions in this material.

Extraverted Thinking (ESFj, ENFj): makes them want so much to be seen as real professionals in their fields

Introverted Sensing (INFp, INTp): insists on the observance of good taste in exterior appearances

These all seems to be external qualities they are absorbing from their environment, western society. I think that for material like this to be something testable it should be independent of the environment. The other role function behaviors they give I believe don't presuppose a specific environmental condition for them to be true. They are thus more objective, and easier to test.
    *tentatively raises her hand*
    just checking to see if the INFp/INTp quoted three times was deliberate
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, i'll fix that thanks
    INTj

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned