View Poll Results: type of Michel Foucault?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

1 25.00%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

1 25.00%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

0 0%
  • EIE (ENFj)

1 25.00%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

1 25.00%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Michel Foucault, French philosopher

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From briefly reading wikipedia, he seems ENFj (or maybe INFp).

quotes:

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.

I'm no prophet. My job is making windows where there were once walls.

Justice must always question itself, just as society can exist only by means of the work it does on itself and on its institutions.

I'm not making a problem out of a personal question; I make of a personal question an absence of a problem.

There is no glory in punishing.

We have to be there at the birth of ideas, the bursting outward of their force: not in books expressing them, but in events manifesting this force, in struggles carried on around ideas, for or against them.

There is not one but many silences, and they are an integral part of the strategies that underlie and permeate discourses.

I don't write a book so that it will be the final word; I write a book so that other books are possible, not necessarily written by me.

Knowledge is not for knowing: knowledge is for cutting.

You may have killed God beneath the weight of all that you have said; but don't imagine that, with all that you are saying, you will make a man that will live longer than he.

The real political task in a society such as ours is to criticize the workings of institutions that appear to be both neutral and independent, to criticize and attack them in such a manner that the political violence that has always exercised itself obscurely through them will be unmasked, so that one can fight against them.

The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us.

The work of an intellectual is not to mould the political will of others; it is, through the analyses that he does in his own field, to re-examine evidence and assumptions, to shake up habitual ways of working and thinking, to dissipate conventional familiarities, to re-evaluate rules and institutions and to participate in the formation of a political will (where he has his role as citizen to play).

I don't feel that it is necessary to know exactly what I am. The main interest in life and work is to become someone else that you were not in the beginning.

...if you are not like everybody else, then you are abnormal, if you are abnormal , then you are sick. These three categories, not being like everybody else, not being normal and being sick are in fact very different but have been reduced to the same thing

What strikes me is the fact that in our society, art has become something which is related only to objects and not to individuals, or to life. That art is something which is specialized or which is done by experts who are artists. But couldn't everyone's life become a work of art? Why should the lamp or the house be an art object, but not our life?

Last edited by silke; 08-08-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: updated links

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFP seems likely from VI
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Michel Foucault, French philosopher

EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm tempted to say ENTj, but ENTp or ENFj seem plausible too.

foucault is on the left.
    foucault v. chomsky debate (pt. 1)

(pt.2)
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95
    given my modest background knowledge of him: ENFj

given the first video*: chomsky as some sort of Introverted Thinker contrasts with Foucault's subdued Si, Te, Fi (i still think ENFj)

*i could not get the tail-end to load.
    yes, this contrast is funny. at times, Foucault seems impatient when Chomsky pauses to think or, overall, by his drier, less emphatic style. i think the two of these guys would be unlikely friends.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He always struck me as Tj VI wise. The first impression, years ago, was ENTj, but his writings does not seem to be particularly Te-centered.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    He always struck me as Tj VI wise. The first impression, years ago, was ENTj, but his writings does not seem to be particularly Te-centered.
    read "Criticisms..." in the wikipedia article (if you haven't already)
    Yeah; I remember 2 years ago glancing at his books for 3-4 hours at the university philosophy library, and then trying to find some information on their accuracy - since most of what he said looked like it was made ad-hoc. This is also why I said his views don't really seem to rely on Te much.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No, they don't, I think he's a Ti type. Alpha NT ..though Socionics.-wise I cannot explain his interest in the construction of power and sexuality through social discourses. As such Quadra values are probably insignificant under the postructuralist direction of his time.
    Last edited by Amber; 06-13-2014 at 10:40 PM.

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    No, they don't, I think he's a Ti type. Alpha NT ..though Socionics.-wise I cannot explain his interest in the construction of power and sexuality through social discourses. As such Quadra values are probably insignificant under the postructuralist direction of his time.
    Yeah, I think you're right. Typical Alpha NT space alien doing the "What is...knowledge? What is...sexuality? What is...navel gazing? What are the true inequalities of power when a man disappears this far up his own ass?" schtick.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti-ILE. causal-determinist is pretty clear from his writings, but there's more variability and open-endedness than what you get with someone like heidegger (Ti-LSI).

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
    I think alpha values are pretty clear in light of how easily (and stereotypically) an Se-valuer (i.e. nietzsche) could situate themselves in the topics he explores.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Tallmo @Delilah Let's revive this!

Okay so Tallmo says LIE, I say Gamma/Beta logical with SLE as my first choice. Is anybody else familiar with his work?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed my mind. I think alpha NT. Maybe ILE

Edit: creative subtype

He cant be a sensor. There is absolutly no use for it in that special field. Base sensing is impossible
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew Focault was ENTp and Chomsky INFp.

He worked on punishment system, police and people that went against law. How they reply to external system of punishment etc.
    A phrase that he said sounds like 'It's not important to know who are you, because the life is basically change yourself and create yourself'. SOmething ike that I can't remember exactly.

https://quotefancy.com/quote/16150/M...-I-am-The-main

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeless View Post
    Chomsky INFp.
    No he is LII. That's really clear.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foucault is sort of a typical example of a continental philosopher / social theorist whose philosophy is as much sociopolitical as it is structural. I'll stand by the EIE typing. Again from Wikipedia:

Foucault's first biographer, Didier Eribon, described the philosopher as "a complex, many-sided character", and that "under one mask there is always another".
    Last edited by Exodus; 10-24-2017 at 02:30 PM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has written a lot about the ways western societies discipline our bodies: what quadra, function or type does that point to? I believe that his most influential body of work revolves around this theme.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    He has written a lot about the ways western societies discipline our bodies: what quadra, function or type does that point to? I believe that his most influential body of work revolves around this theme.
    Se, most likely valued.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

LII sx/so the 'coolside' or soc subtype

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE-Ti

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've watched the last video posted and thought the same, Foucault is EIE (also he's massively interested and "preoccupied" with the dynamics of society) vs Chomsky super cutie and EII (believes in unchangeable moral values a la Kant, describes society through its relationships).

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've typed him a while ago and watched his interview with chomsky (a LII). He values Se. I think he's a LIE

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, no. the way Foucault denies any firm moral values to humanity fits Fi ignoring (internal static relationships), while Chomsky is inspired and reminds us of them. reason why Foucault is not a LIE (he'd value Fi), and Chomsky is not a LII (he wouldn't value Fi).

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foucault—Ni/Se valuing. Beta > Gamma.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EIE... if I have to go by his eccentricities and how those manifested.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When we say type, we are acting in the service of the elitist trap of crystallized identities, not in the spirit of truth's amphibious nature. The real task of society may not be to choose only one path - when the individual opens himself up for critique, is he not only asking others to paint his face? The paint can only serve as the desire to have form.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soundofconfusion View Post
    I've typed him a while ago and watched his interview with chomsky (a LII). He values Se. I think he's a LIE
    I've read some more about him and I need to change my typing to EIE.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Foucault is sort of a typical example of a continental philosopher / social theorist whose philosophy is as much sociopolitical as it is structural. I'll stand by the EIE typing. Again from Wikipedia:

Foucault's first biographer, Didier Eribon, described the philosopher as "a complex, many-sided character", and that "under one mask there is always another".
    for some reason I've only read the german wikipedia article which focuses more on his work and not his person.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michel Foucault - ESFP Napoleon

Last edited by khcs; 04-10-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    This is the comment you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Honestly, from a VI standpoint, he definitely looks Rational and Se valuer. Too tense, rigid, and also very concerned about power? These are too strong evidences for Se, for me to really consider ILE for him.

From a personality standpoint, he probably "looks" ILE and I understand those who type him that way.

But the VI elements and the obsession about power in his writings are too strong to put him as a non-Se type.

For a while I thought he was LIE since his logic is very powerful, it's quite noticeable in the debate with Chomsky, but lately I've been considering EIE for him. I'm still torn between these two, lately verging towards EIE. His behavior was quite chaotic and weird, and his philosophical interest was also a bit chaotic. LIEs have a more solid, stable intellectual style. I've been considering the possibility that he is a genius and smart EIE. I'd agree that, in theory, LIE would make the most sense, because of his powerful logic, but a neurotic EIE who overly developed logic has been my typing for him. EIEs are known to be quite intellectual and argumentative. LIEs, on the other hand, verge more towards business and not exactly investigating all the small systems of society. That looks more like Ti than Te.

"I don't feel that it is necessary to know exactly what I am. The main interest in life and work is to become someone else that you were not in the beggining."

This quote from him on his own self is very EIE-ish, and Ni. A dissociation of the personality, and becoming a character, not the own self.

I believe his "NT" impression is a also character. If you take the glasses and put some hair on Foucault, you'd be surprised on how EIE he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    hmm, no. the way Foucault denies any firm moral values to humanity fits Fi ignoring (internal static relationships), while Chomsky is inspired and reminds us of them. reason why Foucault is not a LIE (he'd value Fi), and Chomsky is not a LII (he wouldn't value Fi).
    You were correct when you said the Ignoring function is devalued, which fits Fi Ignoring for Foucault. But you were not correct when you said the Role function is devalued the same way as the Ignoring. Actually, not.

In fact, the Role function is called that way because it's sometimes a strong "Social Role" of the person. Meaning, an LII has Fi as a very important part of his intellectual and social goals. Just look at Kant, the most classic LII. He wrote freakin' biblic essays on Ethics. A lot of LIIs have this obsession and also many LSIs. Your understanding of the Role function is incorrect. Chomsky is indeed, LII. A clear one, actually, from VI and also from his intellectual style. IEIs, in reality, are more devaluing of Fi than the LII. And Chomsky is not an IEI by VI, in any way shape or form. Dude is rigid, all robotic, uncoordinated, little to none magnetism and emotional expressiveness: IJ temperament, Se PoLR, 1D Fe - LII.

Ignoring function is one thing, the Role is another.