View Poll Results: type of Stephen King?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

1 11.11%
  • IEI (INFp)

2 22.22%
  • EIE (ENFj)

0 0%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

6 66.67%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stephen King

From reading several of his books, including his insightful autobiography/guide-to-writing "On Writing," I get the distinct "mature" ENTp vibe from him. He seems to get his ideas from a complex stream of intuition, which he then enriches through a childlike feeling of wonder and glee, things that I associate with your typical ENTp.

photos

quotes:
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...9.Stephen_King
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stephen_King#Quotes

Last edited by silke; 10-01-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: updated links

Creepy-an ixtp (probably istp)

Default Re: Stephen King. ENTp.

I'm a big fan of him.

He often creates self projective characters and most of good men are concentrated in xSTx and INTx. Most heros are either ISTj or INTp (no matter good or bad, but most INTp heros are coward but good); therefore he might ISTj or INTp.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, I just realized that he kind of looks like my girlfriend's dad...who is INTp.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I take it back. After further consideration I concur that he is in fact INTp. I guess there are some similarities between INTP and ENTP that were not so evident to be before.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think they're that similar, lol. Christopher Reeve seems delta. I'm pretty certain Steven King is more alpha, for the most part. I think he's an ESE.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    IEI
    Having read The Dark Tower (the series, not the specific book within it), I think this makes sense. Whichever book it was, King makes this huge deal about Roland (one of the main characters) recounting a really big story from his past, and Roland himself takes quite a bit of time relating the events.

I recall Rick commenting that a very IEI way of telling stories is to linger on past events. I assume something like that is what he was referring to. Also, the ending just smacks of NiFe (gigantic dose of unadulterated futility, though not entirely; anyway, I don't want to give spoilers so I won't go into it).

At any rate, I'm no familiar with any of his other works.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-INFp ... Lots of detail, and focus on people/emotions in his books.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, definitely INFp. Not just in the overall tone and characterizations; the Te PoLR is clear in the way he ends every book with deus ex machina, and in how he seems to not give a shit about giving rational explanations (within the context of his books) for anything that happens in his stories.

A typical event in a SK story is that some weird, trippy bullshit happens, and afterward all of his characters "just know" what it all means, like they're all above having to explain it.

The characterization of Roland Deschain in the Dark Tower books is a good example of a Beta view of Delta. Roland is SLI, and it is clear that everyone in the story just doesn't get him at all, yet they view him as a kind of superhuman madman. The way he is "always serious" and "has no sense of humor," and the way he goes from being quiet and contemplative to fast and violent without any external emotional indicators is viewed by everyone in the story as scary and unpredictable. And when Roland bonds with other characters, it's usually when one of the Betas in the story gets Roland to crack a smile or laugh.

Another element of Beta observing Gamma is the way the entire story views Roland as inherently flawed in his obsessive quest to find the Dark Tower. Basically, Roland stubbornly pursues the Tower while completely ignoring the way this makes him look to his friends and companions. To him, the Tower comes before everything else--and with good reason--but he never really defends himself; he literally just walks toward the Tower for decades, refusing to listen to the objections of any other person, and oblivious to how bizarre this behavior seems to everyone (i.e., to Fe types).

Also, all of the "evidence" that Roland is making a wrong decision in pursuing the Tower is in the form of wishy-washy Ni visions or prophecies, which Roland respects, but ultimately regards as being less important than his Te-motivated quest (find the Tower, save the Universe).

So King is basically saying that Roland's PoLR is his greatest weakness and that Te is bad. lol.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. I don't see anything particularly Ni about his story-telling. He seems to have more of an Si and definitely Fe related humor going about things. Basically the stuff you're backing up Ni dominant with, I can't really picture as relevant to a typing. He is a strange and creepy writer obviously, but whado I know? I think a good writer can give any type a high, give them what they like. It's a matter of taste, not type. He's a professional scary story teller, not a professional INFp.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Hmm. I don't see anything particularly Ni about his story-telling. He seems to have more of an Si and definitely Fe related humor going about things. Basically the stuff you're backing up Ni dominant with, I can't really picture as relevant to a typing. He is a strange and creepy writer obviously, but whado I know? I think a good writer can give any type a high, give them what they like. It's a matter of taste, not type. He's a professional scary story teller, not a professional INFp.
    Where do you get Si from King? I don't see it at all.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I used to think to consider him a strange and creepy writer too (going off of only starting a few of his books). Then my brother got me all of the Dark Tower for Xmas a year ago and my opinion changed once I got into them. He's one of the best story tellers that I've ever read, a master at playing with your expectations for where the story is going to go and really sucking you into the story. Also, there's a huge amount of heart (and it's well done at that) going on his stories (at least there is in the Dark Tower series and in The Stand).

DJ's typing of Roland as ISTp (I thought ESTj, but whatever, Delta ST at any rate) is interesting and fits with what King has said about how feels about that character (scared of him and uncomfortable). The parts in The Dark Tower where Roland confronts Stephen King are maybe a good illustration of Delta ST pragmatism smacking down an INFp's dreamy pussyness.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have a hard time ignoring the content of his books. I mean their about death and perversity and mystery and basically every thing awesome in life. I don't understand how the connection is being made between the themes present in his books and a alpha mind set.

Alls I'm trying to say is that if a ESE were to write a horror story it's plot would more likely involve the vanishing of the colors pink and yellow than it would involve a dog with rabies who bites people in the gonads.
    Easy Day

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    I just have a hard time ignoring the content of his books. I mean their about death and perversity and mystery and basically every thing awesome in life. I don't understand how the connection is being made between the themes present in his books and a alpha mind set.

Alls I'm trying to say is that if a ESE were to write a horror story it's plot would more likely involve the vanishing of the colors pink and yellow than it would involve a dog with rabies who bites people in the gonads.
    LOL!

I agree w/ your point... I don't get any Si in Stephen King's books... Honestly, I think that he's a pretty obvious Ni dominant.

That said, there are some people at this forum who've said that they think Tim Burton's atmospheric 'creepiness' is related to Si... And alpha values... I don't agree with that at all, but it might be where someone who says "alpha" is coming from... Idk though...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably INTp. Too distopian and negative to be INFp. He glorifies the verbal making of a stand (Te) and has a kind of obsession with labels, brands and nominal specifications such as gun caliber sizes that looks Te>Fe.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Probably INTp. Too distopian and negative to be INFp. He glorifies the verbal making of a stand (Te) and has a kind of obsession with labels, brands and nominal specifications such as gun caliber sizes that looks Te>Fe.
    Labcoat, your version of Socionics is very different from what I understand it as... I've noticed it elsewhere and here too... What does this stuff about labels tell you about Stephen King being INTp?? I don't get it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I don't know. Maybe the fact that every Te type obsesses over that kind of stuff? What you call things and where you find them? Just that you don't notice this doesn't make it less obvious.

Which type do you think is the one that gives a damn that one gun is called Desert Eagle .50 and the other Glock 17? If you say Ti types, you're wrong as per me.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Which type do you think is the one that gives a damn that one gun is called Desert Eagle .50 and the other Glock 17? If you say Ti types, you're wrong as per me.
    I know an LII gun freak who is well versed in labels.

Anyway, can't PoLR behaviour also be obsessive attempts to avoid taking a hit in that region? If you're a writer, it's a little colourless to say "and then he shot the gun!" so you're going to wind up being confronted with having to give things detail, like, what kind of gun?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a writer always has a choice between a more romanticized, vague way of writing and a technical and detailed one. The latter is definitely an indication of INTp > INFp and it is what King inclines to, from what I've read of him.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone stop saying he's something besides IEI. You're wrong.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stephen king as a non Fe-type hahaha. ha ha. ha.

Banned
    TIM
    LII (INTj)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    "I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all."
    That sentence is Illogical which makes it anti-Te.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Seems EIE in the interview.

His books are also Fe + Ni combo.

Edit: How is he not EJ?? And lmao at the ILI typings.
    Last edited by darya; 12-12-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

bump. I see this being discussed in a blog post from @Cassandra right now and I just finished one of his books, so its on my mind. also ive seen people who's typings I generally could vouch for type him ESE and it sticks in my damn craw. theres very little environmental continuity or sensory detail in his novels & its all allusions to the indescribable collective unconscious kind of shit and psyche diving.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The only types I have ever considered for him were IEI and ILI.

Nowadays I find ILI much more likely.

When you watch the very beginning of the first video the OP has posted, he states a statistical fact relevant to the audience (and embeds it into how someone's future could turn out).
    That is typical (Creative) behaviour. An IEI wouldn't really do that, being Te PoLR.

^ This is just one example that makes me believe he is rather ILI.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That he comes onto a late night talk show dressed in worn jeans and a tshirt says something relevent. I can't be sure what, it just does.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My ESI mom enjoys his writing (Meanwhile, I can't make it through a single page and can't handle all that suspense)

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII?

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    That he comes onto a late night talk show dressed in worn jeans and a tshirt says something relevent. I can't be sure what, it just does.
    Maybe not valuing Fe?

Other than that, a lot of rich people do that kind of thing to prove they are so rich they don't need to dress up to prove it.

At last, it could be an SO blindspot thing.

P.S: Interesting, I wouldn't have expected you to arrive at LII.
    LIIs may dress sloppily, but mostly because they don't know better, not because they like the style or don't care about what others think of it.

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seriously my favorite author! Type awesome. NiSe axis for sure.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Maybe not valuing Fe?

Other than that, a lot of rich people do that kind of thing to prove they are so rich they don't need to dress up to prove it.

At last, it could be an SO blindspot thing.

Maybe, maybe not. Does wearing something nice mean you are a rich person? It looks like he would wear this sort of out fit every single day.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A few books gives away his typing, one in particular that is deeply revealing is Lisey's Story. His atmospheric, Fe storytelling is pretty apparent.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    My ESI mom enjoys his writing (Meanwhile, I can't make it through a single page and can't handle all that suspense)
    why can't you make it through a page? just curious.
    my IEI mom loved him and my IEI boyfriend hates him. he's a popular author, so I wouldn't really expect his fans to be true to intertype.
    I don't have any particular type for him in mind, except that Ni polr seems like an inside joke. I'd be more receptive to him being Fe valuing but I can't put my finger on why (his writing is kinda wet, I guess)? but I'm at work and haven't seen him on video.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S: Interesting, I wouldn't have expected you to arrive at LII.
    LIIs may dress sloppily, but mostly because they don't know better, not because they like the style or don't care about what others think of it.
    Bingo.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Maybe, maybe not. Does wearing something nice mean you are a rich person? It looks like he would wear this sort of out fit every single day.
    Maybe this is just my SO instinct bias, but clothing is often a signifier of social status.
    Wealthy people usually wear more expensive clothing than the middle class and below. You can tell by the higher quality material, custom-tailouring, brands, and "status symbols" like a Rolex.

I've noticed that the very rich often do not try to showcase their wealth through their clothing too much. Perhaps they perceive it to be an overkill.
    They may even dress plainly, or simply in a suit.

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should it be surprising I would arrive at a LII typing?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this is just my SO instinct bias, but clothing is often a signifier of social status.
    Wealthy people usually wear more expensive clothing than the middle class and below. You can tell by the higher quality material, custom-tailouring, brands, and "status symbols" like a Rolex.

I've noticed that the very rich often do not try to showcase their wealth through their clothing too much. Perhaps they perceive it to be an overkill.
    They may even dress plainly, or simply in a suit.
    Sure. But a grey work tshirt and jeans for a late night talk show? I doubt he was consciously trying to look unpretentious and not wealthy. It looks like he just hadn't thought about it at all. I'm not drawing conclusions, just pointing out its probably a relevent fact about his personality.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Bingo.
    Hm, to me it doesn't look like Stephen King tried to look appropriately dressed and unfortunately missed the mark. He just didn't care and dressed the way he wants to.
    With an LII, you'll notice they try to be dressed for the occasion, but somehow may awkwardly fail at it without their awareness.

Basically, I'd argue that in this particular situation an LII would have cared, and Stephen King doesn't seem like he did.

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, to me it doesn't look like Stephen King tried to look appropriately dressed and unfortunately missed the mark. He just didn't care and dressed the way he wants to.
    With an LII, you'll notice they try to be dressed for the occasion, but somehow may awkwardly fail at it without their awareness.

Basically, I'd argue that in this particular situation an LII would have cared, and Stephen King doesn't seem like he did.
    I see the exact opposite to your conclusion. And I disagree with your statement regarding LIIs.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    why can't you make it through a page? just curious.
    my IEI mom loved him and my IEI boyfriend hates him. he's a popular author, so I wouldn't really expect his fans to be true to intertype.
    I don't have any particular type for him in mind, except that Ni polr seems like an inside joke. I'd be more receptive to him being Fe valuing but I can't put my finger on why (his writing is kinda wet, I guess)? but I'm at work and haven't seen him on video.
    I'm far too impatient. The writing is drawn out, another point for high Ni.
    Hm, I perceived it as more factual and dry but there we go, subjective views

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I see the exact opposite to your conclusion. And I disagree with your statement regarding LIIs.
    Can you give me an example of an LII?

*********** 21-04-19:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast