TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Michael Scofield (Prison Break)

Just read this interesting information from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_inhibition
    Latent inhibition is inhibition of the learning of a paired association between a conditioned stimulus and unconditioned stimulus due to prior repeated unpaired exposure of the conditioned stimulus. The inhibition on learning that occurs with the stimulus preexposure is latent because it is observed only when the stimulus is subsequently paired. Those with low latent inhibition are highly sensitive to their surroundings and its stimuli.

Normal people are able to shut out this constant stream of incoming stimuli, those with low latent inhibition (LLI) cannot. It is hypothesized that a low level of latent inhibition, or LLI, can either cause psychosis or a high level of creativity, which is usually dependent on the subject's intelligence. Those of above average intelligence are thought to be capable of processing this stream effectively, an ability that greatly aids their creativity and ability to learn and which categorizes them as almost a creative genius. Those with less than average intelligence, on the other hand, are less able to cope, and so as a result are more likely to suffer from mental illness.

The protagonist of Prison Break, Michael Scofield, is clinically diagnosed with low latent inhibition. His above-average intelligence combined with this personality trait makes him a genius, allowing him to make an incredibly detailed and cryptic plan (encrypted in a tattoo) to break his brother, Lincoln Burrows, out of prison.

Contrary to certain popular culture descriptions, latent inhibition is not a mental disorder it is just an observed personality trait, and a description of how an individual absorbs & assimilates information or stimuli. It may or may not lead onto mental order or creative genius - this is like many other factors of life - a case of environment (positive stimuli e.g. education or negative e.g. abuse) and an individual's predisposition (genetics - family history of mental illness).
    I thought Scofield was ESTj (with the actor also being ESTj) - but this sounds like it describes an ISTp. (I think he's definitely Delta ST anyway).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done this before and smilex thought he was estj, others thought istj and itsp.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Michael Scofield (Prison Break)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean

I might be suffering from this. I cannot even concentrate in a computer class when there are other people working at their computers.
    Could it be that intuitive types are actually less sensitive to physical stimuli?
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Done this before and smilex thought he was estj, others thought istj and itsp.
    Err. Yes. I remember starting a thread on Wentworth Miller.
    Can't remember, I think most of the replies were ESTj/ENTj?

Michael Schoffield would be harder to type. He's a genius! He's good in many areas. Just look at him. He's very sensitive to his surroundings, possibly Si? And he could think of many possibilities to do something, Ne? I dunno.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    Err. Yes. I remember starting a thread on Wentworth Miller.
    Can't remember, I think most of the replies were ESTj/ENTj?
    I was talking about the character. The actor is entp.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Re: Michael Scofield (Prison Break)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean

I might be suffering from this. I cannot even concentrate in a computer class when there are other people working at their computers.
    Could it be that intuitive types are actually less sensitive to physical stimuli?
    I think that 'latent inhibition' would affect types more than types, and intuitive types the least. It seems to be a description of in general IMO.

I think Michael Scofield can see possibilities possibly because he has a structure\map of the prison in his head + on his body, and so he is able to connect the dots between objects on that map if things go wrong - ISTps are able to act pretty spontaneously to unexpected changes in their environment, but Scofield has created the situation and has already considered many possibilities - I think this shows ESTj behaviour, rather than ISTp behaviour. is more about possibilities in the current moment, rather than aversion to risk through preplanning.

(I think the actor is also ESTj).

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does this have to do with the ability to build maps of a place in your head and consider paths to follow?

Also, you can be sensitive to stimuli AND not feel overloaded by them at the same time.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This piece of information its own suggests Scofield is ISTp > ESTj, but I still considered him to be ESTj based on other evidence. This latent inhibition sounds like something types might have, and it wouldn't be surprised if Delta ST types have similar ways of perceiving things.

If it's linked to high creativity, and yet isn't simply absorbing environmental details up like a sponge, then the creativity must come from the ability to see the external world internally, all its objects and connecting phenomena - Scofield can use his to move external objects into their correct places if he sees they are not in their right positions (he has lots of experience of the environment, and can see cause-and-effect events, so can easily manipulate these chains of events).

could be explained in a similar way to this, but types have little external 'experience', but more external 'action' - if an object is out of place, they can replace it with a different object of similar value, rather than change the properties of the object out of place (whether spatially or a detail of the object).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious to know. What happened in the second season of the show?
    Semiotical process

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb'07
    I'm curious to know. What happened in the second season of the show?
    -spoilers-
    he planned some really cool stuff

his bro's gal died.

nuff said.
    INTp
    sx/sp