Thread: Warren Buffett

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warren Buffett

Is everybody in agreement that he is INTP?

This does not seem very INTP to me:

Wikiquote

A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought.
    Warren Buffett

Great investment opportunities come around when excellent companies are surrounded by unusual circumstances that cause the stock to be misappraised.

I always knew I was going to be rich. I don't think I ever doubted it for a minute.

I am quite serious when I say that I do not believe there are, on the whole earth besides, so many intensified bores as in these United States. No man can form an adequate idea of the real meaning of the word, without coming here.

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.

I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over.

I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for five years.

If a business does well, the stock eventually follows.

If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.

Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote.

Look at market fluctuations as your friend rather than your enemy; profit from folly rather than participate in it.

Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars.

Only buy something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years.

Our favorite holding period is forever.

Our favourite holding period is forever.

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.

Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing.

Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1.

The business schools reward difficult complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective.

The first rule is not to lose. The second rule is not to forget the first rule.
    Warren Buffett

The investor of today does not profit from yesterday's growth.

The only time to buy these is on a day with no "y" in it.

The smarter the journalists are, the better off society is. For to a degree, people read the press to inform themselves-and the better the teacher, the better the student body.

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.

We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds.

We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.

When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.

Why not invest your assets in the companies you really like? As Mae West said, "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful".

Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.

You do things when the opportunities come along. I've had periods in my life when I've had a bundle of ideas come along, and I've had long dry spells. If I get an idea next week, I'll do something. If not, I won't do a damn thing.

You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong.

Your premium brand had better be delivering something special, or it's not going to get the business.
    Last edited by silke; 07-09-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: updated links
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    This does not seem very INTP to me:
    What's the point here? INTps don't play music? ... or don't like country music?
    Rick has mentioned on his site the importance of typing people based on their normal behavior, and not giving too much attention to occasional hobbies. In Warren Buffett's case, we know that he's not someone whose primary identity is a country music singer but who has to take a day job to make ends meet.

I know of ENTjs who like to sometimes relax by doing arts-and-crafts sorts of things, or cooking. Does that make them ISFps?

In this video, he actually seems rather stiff, which would support Fe-PoLR. But even if he were an accomplished, expressive musician, that still wouldn't mean that he couldn't be INTp.

I suspect that perhaps your notion of the types is a bit restrictive, with each type focusing on its ego-block functions all the time, and about equally for the accepting and creating one? If you think in terms of a greater difference between the roles of the accepting and creative functions, and also a much wider use of all the functions, I think you'll end up with typings that more closely resemble other people's.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warren Buffet

Richest man in the world.

Investor.

What type is he?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI
    Safe bet.

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either ILI or LII

His stuff is extremely hard for me to read, so I lean towards ILI
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta ST seems like.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I know about him (as well as his close friendship with Bill Gates) suggests that he is likely an ILI.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a nice, frugal dude that likes his ice cream. ZTCrawcrustle with a bajillion dollars.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys, I was thinking ILI myself. Good to have confirmation.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warren Buffet and Bill Gates

General consensus used to be that this was a gamma couple.

But it seems that it might have been wrong?

What are there types according to you.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I agree that they're both gamma.

What would be the alternate typings then?

Mirror pairs with Bill Gates = ENTj and Warren Buffet = INTp.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some actually believe bill is ILE. I don't know, does anyone else think so too?
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I type Bill Gates as ENTj seeing as how Warren Buffet is a pretty clear cut INTp and they have a fantastic friendship from what I've read.

I suppose he could be ENTp, but from a socionics standpoint, ENTj makes more sense IMO.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Summer1an: Buffet = SLI
    Ashton: Buffet = SLI Gates = ILE
    Poli: Buffet = SLI Gates = ILE

I personally think Buffet is ILI and Gates LIE, same as on socionics.us

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Summer1an: Buffet = SLI
    Ashton: Buffet = SLI Gates = ILE
    Poli: Buffet = SLI Gates = ILE

I personally think Buffet is ILI and Gates LIE, same as on socionics.us
    Buffet being SLI is possible I suppose. It would fit with Mr Buffet's famously austere lifestyle and semi-duality with Bill Gates if he really is ILE.

Something to consider nonetheless.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about it and Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are both pretty clearly Gamma mirrors.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about it and Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are both pretty clearly Gamma mirrors.
    yeah agreed. thanks for putting some thinking time in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel View Post
    The problem I think is that Te is always associated with 'business ethics'.
    Never heard Te being described as being primarily about ethics before.

But how is this a problem in the case of Buffett?

my experiences in the business world to date really make me doubt the implication of Te as best at business.
    Then one should doubt that Te has anything particular to do with business. The Socionics tendency to equate IM elements with specific fields was always problematic.

I'm now doubting that Buffet is Fe-polr, fwiw
    What would you expect if he's ITp....that he'd come off mechanically?

Somehow, reading between the lines, I suspect maybe you're doubting INTp because in business people need to be cooperative, as it isn't about merely being "right" in an academic sense. But I don't know why INTp wouldn't be able to learn that. Business isn't about winning arguments, but I don't see that INTps are necessarily restricted to being argumentative and socially clueless.

Again, i think i've read somewhere about ISFp using every little bit of what they have
    But since you listed INTp and ISTp also as being frugal, where is the evidence that ISFp is any better? Just the fact that Ashton differs from most Socionists in his thinking that Bill Gates is ENTp, therefore Buffett must be ISFp because they happen to get along?

Also, ime S types just seem better at business/wanting to win
    That's a good point. Most business, especially small business, is all about practical details and follow-through. Being ST is probably an advantage, and Socionics' equating Gamma with business was never that good an idea. Nevertheless, that doesn't tell us much about Buffett. We can't say for example that he's sensing just because he happens to be a business person.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some quotes from Mr. Buffett. At some point i started wondering if it was Tcaud (hi Tcaud <3 ) who wrote them
    Great, profound quotes. They seem to rather reinforce the idea of him being ILI. I don't see the connection with Tcaud at all.

A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought.
    T > F

We'll break out of it. It takes time.
    Long-term time orientation

Beware of geeks bearing formulas.
    Skepticism of Ti

Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
    Noting general trends over time.

Derivatives are financial weapons of mass destruction.
    Concern about how things are being run (Te) and the future (Ni)

Economic medicine that was previously meted out by the cupful has recently been dispensed by the barrel. These once unthinkable dosages will almost certainly bring on unwelcome after-effects. Their precise nature is anyone's guess, though one likely consequence is an onslaught of inflation.
    Speculation about the future.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.
    Warren Buffett
    Fi-valuing.

...and so forth. I'm not saying that people who say these things couldn't be in different quadras. (E.g., people in all quadras could care about reputation, etc.) But overall, if one thinks about what IM elements these quotes tend to point to, they're pretty consistently something an ILI would say.

If he were SEI, I would be expecting him to have primarily Si and Fe strengths. I would expect what he says to point to Si without having to make a complicated case for why it would be so. As an alpha SF, I would expect his charisma and personality to have been the main reasons for his success. Plenty of successful business people started in sales and getting people to like them. But he got his start by having an insight into what stocks to buy.

I certainly don't mean to single you out, but I do think there's a tendency on the forum in general to favor remote arguments about why someone would be a type that they don't appear to be over direct arguments that focus on the more obvious information. It's just a trend I see overall.

I guess it's okay, because it's food for thought. This forum is almost like taking a dart board and throwing a dart at it to see what if this person is that type, and then we all scratch our heads and try to make a case for it....And there's nothing wrong with considering the unobvious typing, or looking at less obvious information, as long as we're aware that that's what we're doing.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 09-07-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but i'm not Ni and i do think of the future.
    What's your self-typing? (Just curious.)

Yeah, I realize that no quote pins down a given IM element. It's just that the emphasis on certain things points to it. For example, if someone is always talking about reputation and ethics and that sort of thing, it makes people think of Fi. It's not that other people don't care about those things, but if someone dwells on it, that might be a piece of data one can use in typing.

Btw, can you think of one very specific thing about this person that completely sets him aside from the other types? Sth so specifically INTp that one just can't doubt it?
    Unfortunately in Socionics, there's nothing like that. I'm not as certain in my opinions as I come across sometimes. I get ideas about evidence for this or that point of view that I feel like sharing, and people think I have a very firm opinion, whereas I really don't. I suspect we're similar in that regard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    For example, if someone is always talking about reputation and ethics and that sort of thing, it makes people think of Fi. It's not that other people don't care about those things, but if someone dwells on it, that might be a piece of data one can use in typing.
    Again, I see your point, but I'm not even sure this reputation thingie is such a Fi thingie to begin with...Is it? Sometimes I care about it if it causes harm (professionally, say, if i'm gaining a reputation as lazy or sth else negative i'd worried about it), most times tho i don't really care at all. Maybe it's not Fi, maybe it's sth else, or a mix of different elements.

Btw, i edited my previous post. Third time i'm saying this, but this really is the last bit lol
    cheers
    Reputation does not equal Fi, anymore than health or enjoyment equals Si, etc. But experientially, Fi-oriented people are known to dwell on or talk about issues regarding reputation, ethics, etc.. That doesn't make them morally superior to anyone else...It's just that they tend to project that emphasis.

However, for someone where Fi is their dual-seeking or activation function, it would be entirely consistent if they were not consistent in this area.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude says: "I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for five years. "
    Very long-term attitude. Quite compatible with Ni.

And his basic attitude: it's not that he can actually 'predict' the future trends, it's rather that he really really can't, or at least distrusts his (or anybody's, really) ability to do so. Seems to me that is why he always (always) seems to rely on worst case scenario. I'd say an N-polr of sorts (or just weak N) is much more likely than an N-leading type imho...but i'm not interested in pursuing this further.
    I don't think anyone can predict the future. Augusta and company make Ni types to out to be clairvoyant or something. Maybe Ni types can imagine the future better than others, but predict it? No.

Any reasonable investing approach takes into account the worst-case scenario. Buffett's investing has seemed a bit optimistic of late. (Bank of America?) Worst-case-scenario planning seems often to be associated with Te strategizing, I think. Whether or not he's INTp, I can't see how any other type could consistently do well as an investor without that aspect.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having thought a lil longer (but not too much, lol) over this, Buffett's basic investment philosophy seems just too far from any kind of N...

Dude says: "I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for five years. "

And his basic attitude: it's not that he can actually 'predict' the future trends, it's rather that he really really can't, or at least distrusts his (or anybody's, really) ability to do so. Seems to me that is why he always (always) seems to rely on worst case scenario. I'd say an N-polr of sorts (or just weak N) is much more likely than an N-leading type imho...but i'm not interested in pursuing this further.

PS: and i was prolly wrong about 'morality' in Te business and such...meh
    PPS: Jarno, you can have him as INTp, lol, but i kinda doubt it (or at least still not sure)
    cheers
    Predicting that your prediction about the future won't be good it's still a form of prediction, actually a kind of meta-prediction, thus I don't think it can be used as a reason to exclude Ni.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This board needs to talk about more interesting exemplars, instead of the same dullards like Bill Gates (ILE) or Warren Buffett (SLI).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    This board needs to talk about more interesting exemplars, instead of the same dullards like Bill Gates (ILE) or Warren Buffett (SLI).
    We talk about all kinds of people; I don't think there's a particular bias towards Gates and Buffett. Most of the famous people threads are about show biz celebrities, I think. Anyhow, Gates and Buffett are interesting. You bothered to type them, so you must have some interest. But you can go to any thread you find appealing; why criticize people who want to talk about some people you're not interested in?

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you can go to any thread you find appealing; why criticize people who want to talk about some people you're not interested in?
    Because I can. What're you gonna do about it, huh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    But you can go to any thread you find appealing; why criticize people who want to talk about some people you're not interested in?
    Because I can. What're you gonna do about it, huh?
    Nothing. I'm not trying to pick a fight; sometimes I stick my foot in my mouth, but I don't mean to annoy anyone. I was just voicing my opinion here. You're free to say whatever you want.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing. I'm not trying to pick a fight; sometimes I stick my foot in my mouth, but I don't mean to annoy anyone. I was just voicing my opinion here. You're free to say whatever you want.

vulnerable + mobilizing = lunch money gone

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about his type, but I'm very interested in finding out. MBTI-wise, he's mostly considered ISTJ, with some considering INTP and INTJ. However, MBTI's definition of Si is unreliable since it conflates it with Te and Fi in the Jungian sense. It's also almost entirely about the past, which doesn't fit with the nature of "sensing". I've become more accepting of it being about the past (since sensing can't reach the future), but I don't think the definition should be centred around tradition, memory, etc.

That being said, his long-term focus indicates Ni valuing over anything else so far. While I don't fully know his decision-making process, I believe he has said that he "feels" the outcome, or something of that sort. Essentially, he uses patterns/intuition to make his judgments. This is consistent with the way Gulenko describes Ne in ILIs: "Knows intuitively what suggestions are promising, and which are not".

Temperament-wise, Ip makes far more sense than Ij.

I'm honestly not so sure about his being Te heavy. The only reasoning I have for that is that he's very reliant upon common sense and he's incredibly frugal. However, these are pretty shallow reasons. I don't think he has a contact/inert subtype. Perhaps H in DCNH if any - heightened Pi makes sense.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FarDraft View Post
    I'm not sure about his type, but I'm very interested in finding out. MBTI-wise, he's mostly considered ISTJ, with some considering INTP and INTJ. However, MBTI's definition of Si is unreliable since it conflates it with Te and Fi in the Jungian sense. It's also almost entirely about the past, which doesn't fit with the nature of "sensing". I've become more accepting of it being about the past (since sensing can't reach the future), but I don't think the definition should be centred around tradition, memory, etc.

That being said, his long-term focus indicates Ni valuing over anything else so far. While I don't fully know his decision-making process, I believe he has said that he "feels" the outcome, or something of that sort. Essentially, he uses patterns/intuition to make his judgments. This is consistent with the way Gulenko describes Ne in ILIs: "Knows intuitively what suggestions are promising, and which are not".

Temperament-wise, Ip makes far more sense than Ij.

I'm honestly not so sure about his being Te heavy. The only reasoning I have for that is that he's very reliant upon common sense and he's incredibly frugal. However, these are pretty shallow reasons. I don't think he has a contact/inert subtype. Perhaps H in DCNH if any - heightened Pi makes sense.
    If you've never read the book Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein, I would recommend it, it is a good account of Buffets life and how he operated from an early age. He was incredibly pragmatic and constantly trying to make money through paper routes, selling small items, and buying and placing pinball machines inside of various shops. As he got older and more into the stock market and business buying aspect of things, he always took a very long term, slower growth route, almost always out-performing the market in his earlier career.

I would say it's a safe bet to say that he's an EJ temperament and LIE. It's almost hard to compare him to other people and types, even the type he might be, because of how enormously successful, intelligent, and driven he was from an early age.

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chakram View Post
    If you've never read the book Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein, I would recommend it, it is a good account of Buffets life and how he operated from an early age. He was incredibly pragmatic and constantly trying to make money through paper routes, selling small items, and buying and placing pinball machines inside of various shops. As he got older and more into the stock market and business buying aspect of things, he always took a very long term, slower growth route, almost always out-performing the market in his earlier career.

I would say it's a safe bet to say that he's an EJ temperament and LIE. It's almost hard to compare him to other people and types, even the type he might be, because of how enormously successful, intelligent, and driven he was from an early age.
    I knew he got into investing early, but I didn't know he was a hustler from the get go. If that's the case, then Ej does make more sense than Ip. I might read the book. I'm interested in his life and career since it's a path I may decide to take in the future.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He reminds me a lot of Delta ST thinking. A guy at work whom seems very ESTj loves him. But Buffet seems to have very practical investing methods, not much in terms of innovation or following trends or anything more intuition related. He says he doesn't invest in things he doesn't understand and has missed most of the modern day trends like Amazon, Alphabet, and Apple. I think he openly derided cryptocurrency for awhile, though now he's starting to see the potential in it. I don't think he's an NT, but that's my opinion I guess. I'd say SLI or LSE.
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warren Buffett

Last edited by khcs; 06-10-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warren Buffett - Dumas

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI or LIE, leaning more towards LIE

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another vote for ILI.

He reminds me so much of this ILI whom I knew irl.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Guy lacks a dynamism of LIE by a long shot. He VI's as Donald Triplett - my new ILI benchmark.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

mb ISTJ