Thread: A bit of research: type frequency

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ncassidy
    thehotelambush: Quite a lot of work you've done there! What does your program do exactly, summary statistics for a formatted text file?
    Yeah, that's the idea. The syntax is a lot like Python's:

Group:

Subgroup:

Alice: INFp/INTp
    Bob: ESFp
    I can send it to you if you PM me your e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by ncassidy
    Python is an interesting language to have picked up so early, did you use it in a course, or learn it on the side?
    On the side. I've known it for a couple years now, but I don't use it so much anymore. I plan to learn Ruby eventually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's OK. I use Excel to manage and tidy up weird data sets and then perform my calculations in R. My comp sci courses taught me Java. Then I'm in the midst of learning C++ for another comp sci class, and MATLAB to do homework for a math class.

I'm probably going to have to buckle down and start learning LaTeX soon for the sake of efficiency and organization, which is a painful thought. I look at examples, and I can't tell them apart from a giant string of slashes and hats and curly braces...

Actually, on second thought, that's exactly what they are...

Yea, best not to push anything else onto the stack at the moment
    ENTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And also, to everyone: I'm still in need of a lot of information before I can conduct any analysis. The only considerable samples so far are from ENTp's, INFj's, INTJ's, and ENFp's... and some types are missing entirely.

So if you have about 5 minutes, please let me know your type and the types of some of your family members... immediate relations, extended relations, or relations by marriage, for now.

I may extend the frame to include semi-voluntary acquaintances such as professors, neighbours, teachers, supervisors, etc.

So also feel free to provide their types. The more the merrier!
    ENTp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering what has become of this interesting study...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still don't have the data I need to proceed with it. I would have to effectively assume equal distribution to work with what I have at this point. So if anyone from the types above has this information available, by all means, do provide it!
    ENTp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, even if you don't happen to get data from the other types you need, still let us know what you get .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, that's the thing... Mathematically speaking, it won't be able to produce an answer until I get that information. At least without additional assumptions that are certainly sufficient to invalidate the results.
    ENTp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know i know, you don't need another enfp's input
    too bad

did not grow up with after 8yo:
    mom: infj
    stepfather: isfj
    stepbro: esfp
    stepbro: isfp
    stepbro: ??
    step sis: ??

grew up with:
    dad: esfp
    stepmother: isfj?
    3 stepsisters: ??

did not grow up with:
    brother: estp
    brother: infp

current household:
    daughter: esfp
    soon to be husband: isfp

i'll only work out the stepsisters and stepbro types IF you really really want/need them....i just prefer not to think about them
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any input is welcome, thanks! If and when I ever do get data from every type, higher accuracy in the ENFp data will increase the precision of the model. I'm already starting to see some trends, but they may in part reflect the behaviour of the more active posters on the board, so I'll keep them to myself until I can be more sure
    ENTp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

family of birth: entp (me), intj, infj, enfp, estj

family of creation: entp (me), estp, esfj, enfp

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Immediate Family Members.

Me: INFp
    Father: ISTj
    Mother: ENFj
    Brother: ENFj
    Sister: ????
    IEI subtype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

immediate: , (in all likelihood. small chance of ),

extended: , , , , , , , (deceased. i knew him personally before death fairly well), , , (possibly suspect), , , , , , , , , , , and

the overarching interaction revolves about Is/sI/iS//IS/SI/si/is (doing this or a reaction to it)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan
    I'd say the distribution is fairly even, although I would say more extroverts than introverts, and probably more rationals than irrationals.
    I think it is unlikely the various types are statistically similar in population proportion across the board, I suppose it is possible, though unlikely.

I can't see any evidence to think that it would make sense that each type would have to be equally represented in society. I might make a further suggestion that it is more likely they are not, some types may be rare others ubiquitous.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but Socionics is a bit like describing a person ona functional basis as you would describe the functioning of a car...
    2 door, 4 door, coup, sedan, pickup/lorrie/ute, sporty, brand etc. The functional breaks may be perfectly fair, and are accurate descriptors that cross-section the population effectively, but the reality may be that humankind has more sedans than coups, has a legitimate need for utility trucks, and for some reason or another fords, GM and toyotas have become ubiquitous.
    With the same (albeit purely tangential) logic, It'd be a bit rough to suppose that man has the various socionics traits in near proportion out of anything but shear coincidence (which in itself would be an amazing statistic).

The only way to have some certainty would be to perform a blind test that genuinely took a sample from the population at large, say military draftees in Israel or Switzerland, mandatory testing in middle schools, or something similar. I don't think any measure (aside from purely anecdotal) of the general population can be made from online statistics at socionics or other typology sites. Those sort of surveys only describe the online, English speaking, moderately affluent, types you have the predilection, and the chance to discover and pursue this interest. (not to mention people may take the test multiple times, etc.)
    / ILE - E(NT)p? 7w8 so/sx

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I wonder why in hell the isfj estp marriage is so common?
    Because the ISFj perceives the ESTp as a sort of "more active, go-getter, know-what-he-wants (in terms of women)" version of ENTj. The ENTj is more likely to spend time in doubt caused by Fi-dual-seeking, Fe-role and Ni victimhood, while the ESTp just goes after the girl.

Or, as we already discussed, and it has to do with what Jonathan called "ricochet" functions -- Se + Ti mistaken for Te.

I also suspect - more relevantly to this thread - that ESTps are more numerous than ENTjs, but I can't demonstrate it of course.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops thought i'd already posted here but guess not, better late than never.

My Family - (Immediate and extended that I'm confident of typing) included relations and subtypes cuz i know some people find it interesting

ESFj -S (mom)
    ISTj -L (dad)
    INFp -N (me)
    ESFp -S (bro)
    ESFj -F (sis)
    INFp -F (sis)

ENTj -N (uncle - not related by blood)
    ESTj -S (aunt - sister to mom)

ESFj-S (grandpa - mom)
    ISFp (grandma - mom)

ISFj (grandma - dad)

ENTp (cousin - not related)
    ESFj (cousin)

I know that it was said you don't want my friend's types... thing is i have nine friends typed...... but i also have 25 other people that I've typed... these include random entries like acquaintences, friend's friends, professors, exes etc. - these are people that I have no direct control over ever meeting again, but will probably see many of them around throughout the course of the year at school/friend's houses/parties/bars etc, 90% are within 3 years of my age (so 19-25 y/o) and most are from my suburb

FRIENDS (ppl im in touch with)

ENTp
    INTj
    ESTp
    ESTp
    ESTp
    ESTp
    ENFj
    INTp
    ESFp
    ENTj
    INFj

RANDOM PPL I'VE TYPED (usually with help of INTp and ENTj friend)

ISFp
    ISFp
    ISFp
    ESFj
    ESFj
    ESFj
    ESFj
    ESTp
    INFp
    ENFj
    ENFj
    ISTj