Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between ILI-INTp and SLI-ISTp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Differences between ILI-INTp and SLI-ISTp

To me both types seem to be quite simular and I was wondering how best to tell the difference between each type.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTps are often way way more reserved than INTps and they are less open to alternative ways of dealing with things. ISTps also tend to have a tendency towards Sports and Competetion, and focus more on the the physical aspects of things like archetecture and mechanics; they live an active life and have many dynamic hobbies.

INTps are more laid back, but sometimes get picky over small details and can have alot of static habits; most of them have choice favorite hobbies they enjoy time and time again , and they especially like and are good at building things slowly and meticulously over a long period of time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I indeed might be an ISTP but somehow in a kind of self-deluding way I want to be an INTP.
    Anyway…
    The main problem with the ISTP description I have is the emphasis on an 'active' life and wanting to go out and live.
    I in no way have an active life and I feel just fine about the reality of me not having an active life.
    Also the competitive description doesn't really fit me very well, even when playing sports at school I really didn't mind losing that much (unless we played bad). But I do like to play sports (watching can be a bit boring).
    But the rest of the description fits.
    Is it possible I could be hybrid of the two types?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mist987
    I think I indeed might be an ISTP but somehow in a kind of self-deluding way I want to be an INTP.
    Anyway…
    The main problem with the ISTP description I have is the emphasis on an 'active' life and wanting to go out and live.
    I in no way have an active life and I feel just fine about the reality of me not having an active life.
    Also the competitive description doesn't really fit me very well, even when playing sports at school I really didn't mind losing that much (unless we played bad). But I do like to play sports (watching can be a bit boring).
    But the rest of the description fits.
    Is it possible I could be hybrid of the two types?
    My ISTp sister is like you. She spends alot of time writing, reading, and researching Stargate fanfiction. I think it's laziness, or she feels like she's living vicariously through the characters. She's planning on joining the Air Force though. One thing I'm sure of: she's NOT INTp. She's always been very Si oriented.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Differences between ISTps/INTps

I think I'm having problems telling the differences between these two types.
    They kinda look the same to me. And the descriptions aren't very good.

> < So. What are the differences between ISTps and INTps?
    How do you tell when you don't really know them. What kinda behavior should be taken note off that would differentiate them?

They seem pretty private. And it seems more difficult to know them compared to other types. Even if it's someone close. I still can't tell the difference. Any kind of help would be good.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bombard them with and see how they react
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    Sooo.. how would an INTp react?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    Sooo.. how would an INTp react?
    by doing nothing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how would a typical bombardment look like?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

istp - more athletic, talks a lot less, more outgoing
    intp - generally less careful about his apperance, talks a lot more if approached, less nightlife oriented
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    ILI - talks a lot more if approached
    Good observation.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

intp - generally less careful about his apperance, talks a lot more if approached, less nightlife oriented
    So ISTps don't talk more when approached? Do they talk less?
    Eh. So, ISTps are very careful about their appearance?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that was an idea i was playing around with that probablly has no real benefit in this case. INTp's do have strong Ne so they wouldn't do much. You couldn't Fe POLR slap them either as they both have the same POLR...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    And how would a typical bombardment look like?
    Talking about lots of possibilities and ideas i suppose going from one to the other
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree about the "careful about appearance" bit; ISTps are Si-dominants but they focus on their own comfort rather than what others may think of their appearance. It can go either way if you compare ISTps and INTps.

I'd say that ISTps give more a relaxed, "I-don't-give-a-damn" vibe than INTps. INTps appear slightly more tense.

I agree that INTps are likely to be more talkative, on a one-to-one basis, once conversation got started.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTp are better at sports and surviving in the wild, and they can't wait to get out of the concrete jungle and live on an island (figuratively, that is).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I disagree about the "careful about appearance" bit; ISTps are Si-dominants but they focus on their own comfort rather than what others may think of their appearance. It can go either way if you compare ISTps and INTps.
    Yeah i agree my ISTp friend can go out without his hair combed or shaved lol.

I'd say that ISTps give more a relaxed, "I-don't-give-a-damn" vibe than INTps. INTps appear slightly more tense.

I agree that INTps are likely to be more talkative, on a one-to-one basis, once conversation got started.
    Yeah i would say this is accurate. ISTp's are tougher too, you can tell they would throw a punch if they got messed with
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTp's are tougher too, you can tell they would throw a punch if they got messed with
    Yes, as a general observation, this is accurate.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with expat (again!)

i think ISTps can come off as more relaxed (leven when sitting in a chair you can notice the dominance with all the relaxed poses.) INTps don't seem to do this as much, like anyone with weaker .
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

istp -talks a lot less, more outgoing
    ?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTps appear slightly more tense.
    So how would you describe this tenseness?

Also. Say you were to throw Se at an ISTp or INTp.
    How would they react?

And how do they react to Fe? Are there any differences?

But are INTps like that too?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But are INTps like that too?
    if they cannot be, then i am not INTp. i pay zero attention to my appearance, apart from whenever there is some formal occasion in which somebody decides that i should look good.

whoever arbitrarily decided that a suit and tie looked good should be dug up from the ground and mutilated.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called off work today...bad hair day. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    istp -talks a lot less, more outgoing
    ?
    He means they go out more often and try to met more people, but aren't the ones neccesarily talking.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's why I said that the INTp cares less, which doesn't mean that the ISTp cares

Jessica: why the ? ?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTp vs ISTp in a work environment

What's the best way to tell INTp from ISTp in a work environment? I think I have to work with a person who is one of those but so far I can't tell which. Any quick hints to tell the difference?

Edit: the person seems kinda relaxed but still has a professional attitude. Speaks with a somewhat monotonous tone especially in official situations. Never shows emotions really and is critical and concerned is people want to do things in a great hurry. Generally seems positive and encouraging but occasionally is overtly concerned about certain things. Is somewhat athletic. Apparently gave me some Si-advice even when I didn't ask for it (I had a wound in my hand which I ignored). Is very clear in explanations and sometimes painfully accurate (well not really but likes to tell things like they really are). I like the style but it might make some people yawn a bit. Has his very special sense of humor (but I haven't heard any dark humour yet). Quite helpful and supporting even if it is hard to see at first. Writes e-mails in very unofficial tone (even official e-mails to important people).

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INTp vs ISTp in a work environment

INTps are waaay more critical. ISTps tend to have more of a live-and-let-live policy about work, and whenever they have to get other people to do things are careful to be extremely polite about it, emphasizing community benefit or something like that. Si/Se. And yeah, dark humor points to INTp.

From your description I would say ISTp is more likely.

and is critical and concerned is people want to do things in a great hurry.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    occasionally is overtly concerned about certain things.
    What things?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds ISTp to me
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gonna say... I pick holes in people's plans... I criticise plans, I'll even criticise the big cheese if I think he's a fool. Maybe not to his face though...

I like to think of ways to improve certain processes or systems. If people don't accept that it's a better way, without proving that it won't work, then I think they're fools too!
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    INTps are waaay more critical. ISTps tend to have more of a live-and-let-live policy about work, and whenever they have to get other people to do things are careful to be extremely polite about it, emphasizing community benefit or something like that. Si/Se. And yeah, dark humor points to INTp.
    The person seems to have a live-and-let-live policy about work habbits but also very high standards for quality of work. When the person wants to make people do things it is done pretty much by just saying it straightforward with a very unemotional and controlled voice like "X needs to be done so will you do it?". There is never any raising of voice and the talk is pretty much always quite slow and clear.

and is critical and concerned is people want to do things in a great hurry.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.
    I put it badly. It is like the person dislikes it when people are all "chaotic" and "fuzzy" and "heated up" and "panicking" etc. Like someone bombs the person with several emails about how something needs to be done quickly to a problem and this seems annoying when in the person's opinion only one email would do and no need to act like "you are sitting on fire" (or something) when there is nothing big to worry about really. Just some things which need to be taken care about.

occasionally is overtly concerned about certain things.
    What things?
    Well e.g. if there are uncertainties in project plans etc. Like if a technology needs to be used which no one knows about or some parts of the project depend on actions of people no one has connections to. This I thought was far-sighted behavior or Ni-behavior but I don't know. The person doesn't make a big deal out of it just seems to often voice these concerns about how certain practical problems might become big problems if they are not addressed early enough. Some other people are just like "we'll sort if out somehow eventually" but this person wants it to be taken into account when planning and thought about before jumping into doing things. And the person keeps bringing these things up until they are addressed which sometimes annoys others a bit as they are sure these things can be figured out later. This part was what made me thought about INTp. I thought ISTps are kinda careless. I would say a Te-subtype anyways.

What else..the monotonous, controlled and slow talk pattern seems to be one thing that stays from context to context. And the person often (slowly and painfully) finishes the sentence even when other people are trying to say something in the middle. The person can also start talking when other people have not yet finished their own sentences. It is quite funny actually. Starting in the middle of someone's sentence and then slowly and painfully finishing their own sentence despite people trying to interrupt. This was one thing I figured is INTp? The certain encouraging and positive nature (underlying the emotionless core) is more ISTp I guess. And the certain sporty nature.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this person like to be in charge of things, such as seeing their ideas being born into fruition? Taking charge of the changes, so to speak?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting in the middle of someone's sentence and then slowly and painfully finishing their own sentence despite people trying to interrupt. This was one thing I figured is INTp?
    I might be different to others, but generally I stop what I'm saying if someone interrupts me and (if I can be bothered or think it's necessary) resume my sentence once the other person finished. But who knows? I lack assertiveness in general so it might be that instead. Bah I dunno, see what others say on the matter.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI tends to be hardworking, and ILI tends to be lazy. lol

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@XoX, yeah, I think ISTp still fits better.

Well e.g. if there are uncertainties in project plans etc. Like if a technology needs to be used which no one knows about or some parts of the project depend on actions of people no one has connections to. This I thought was far-sighted behavior or Ni-behavior but I don't know. The person doesn't make a big deal out of it just seems to often voice these concerns about how certain practical problems might become big problems if they are not addressed early enough. Some other people are just like "we'll sort if out somehow eventually" but this person wants it to be taken into account when planning and thought about before jumping into doing things. And the person keeps bringing these things up until they are addressed which sometimes annoys others a bit as they are sure these things can be figured out later. This part was what made me thought about INTp. I thought ISTps are kinda careless. I would say a Te-subtype anyways.
    That could be due to Role Ni as opposed to Leading Ni.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    @XoX, yeah, I think ISTp still fits better.

That could be due to Role Ni as opposed to Leading Ni.
    I guess it is role Ni as the person seems a bit uncertain about the future and perhaps that is why stresses about it. I can see how someone could increase the stress by painting dark future scenarios which would be more difficult in case of INTps who are more certain about their predictions of the future.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    Does this person like to be in charge of things, such as seeing their ideas being born into fruition? Taking charge of the changes, so to speak?
    In a way yes. Seems to look for concrete results. I can't say the person is that iniative taking in regards to other people but seems initiative taking in regards to own interests. When something needs to be done the person just starts doing it without waiting for someone to give orders or something. Just does the thing and that's it. Keeps it simple. Also the person has no problems defining what needs to be done and asking other people to do things and is not afraid of being in charge in that sense (on a small scale, using individual level communication). However I can't see the person organizing and running big meetings that well or leading big groups or handling conflict situations between people. I would think this one is ISTp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I think the Mythbusters guy with the hat kind of reminds me of this person (he is ISTp right?)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds very ISTP to me..I identify with a lot of it.

The mythbusters guy is unbelievably boring. Would be more interesting to watch paint dry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mythbusters guy is unbelievably boring. Would be more interesting to watch paint dry.
    I think this is pretty much settled then. ISTp it is. Interesting to see how my relations develops. So far seems ok. Mythbusters guy isn't that boring imho, lol. But I can see how some people might see it that way. Not a very typical media person.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are a member of the beta quadra.
    asd

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath

you are a member of the beta quadra.
    ?

Explain..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast