Thread: Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gabriel Garcia Marquez

márquez is a colombian novelist who is sufficiently notable so that my spanish literature class wasted some time studying his works. he is famous for his style of magical realism, for integrating elements of latin american culture into his works, and for inserting many themes reflecting political issues into his works, satirizing the problematic effects of such problems as class differences, oppression, exploitation, globalization, and the loss of traditional cultural elements.

for VI purposes:

i have seen ILI thrown around as his type. this topic exists because i have a different type in mind which i see fitting better in certain areas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once skimmed through one of his works. It all felt rather foreign and utterly fascinating. I thought the presence of Ne and Si was strong, while Se was highly disregarded. That's as far as I got. And with that, I can see ISFp/ISTp/INTj/ENFp/ESFj...pretty much alpha or delta. I didn't know some circles were typing him as ILI.

Gabriel García Márquez uses the technique of magical realism in his novels as well as his short stories. Marquez uses magical realism to blend reality and fantasy so that the distinction between the two erases. An example of this technique comes from the story "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" where an angel falls to the Earth because of a violent rainstorm. When the angel is found by Pelayo and Elisenda, they are shocked to see an angel, and yet they never question its existence. The reality of the situation is never mistrusted; however, the angel itself is an astounding manifestation. Even the neighbor lady is not shocked:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting... what of his did you read?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awww I clicked on this hoping to see pics of some hot latino woman
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    awww I clicked on this hoping to see pics of some hot latino woman
    wtflol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lolz

It starts on page 3 I checked out this collected work a few months ago. It appeared like the inspiration came from Si-gathered-info. But I only skimmed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V.I.s as INTp based on the criteria purported by Vilinus socionists(it's very important, for an accurate conclusion, to recognize the differences in each socionics groups V.I. criteria). Vilinius V.I.'s criteria seems to use the system of 'hey he looks like (Identified XXXx).' I think Gabriel is an INTp. He addresses social issues very simply and creativity, but he spends his details on creative links rather than the social issue. ah well-- good author.
    asd

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he has Fe PoLR. IEI or SEI, I think.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe márquez is IEI.

i can see lots of Ni in his work, for many of the same reasons that he is said to be ILI. the abstract representations of his worlds are definitely significant in his point but so often his stories are left open-ended and without a definite conclusion. el señor viejo con alas enormes is an excellent example of this; there are very clear themes being criticized in the story, including exploitation, organized religion, and mass culture, but at the end of the story no actual conclusion is reached; the angel just gets up one day and flies away like nothing ever happened. very Ni. it was also interesting how my SEI spanish teacher kept subtly criticizing this aspect of márquez's work while generally praising his insight.

however, i don't see Te in márquez's writings or actions at all. a lot of his stories seem to be focused, in addition to such Ni-related themes as the whole deal with magical realism, towards expressions of mood and general dispositions of characters. in el ahogado más hermoso del mundo, for example, the whole story is centered on how the town reacts and changes based on their feelings towards the newcomer. i think that many of márquez stories betray an Fe perspective. i think the fact that márquez didn't, for the most part, write love stories contributed partially to the misconception of ILI.

in addition to that, márquez himself seems to lack the sardonic, negativist attitude of ILIs; even though this attitude is portrayed in some of his works, it is not a general rule and takes a back seat to the Ni-oriented themes.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has very strong ideological political views, like support for Castro and "revolutionaries" in general. I'd say he's a Ti quadra type.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, now that I think back to reading Chronicle of a Death Foretold, I think he would have to be .

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    i believe márquez is IEI.

i can see lots of Ni in his work, for many of the same reasons that he is said to be ILI. the abstract representations of his worlds are definitely significant in his point but so often his stories are left open-ended and without a definite conclusion. el señor viejo con alas enormes is an excellent example of this; there are very clear themes being criticized in the story, including exploitation, organized religion, and mass culture, but at the end of the story no actual conclusion is reached; the angel just gets up one day and flies away like nothing ever happened. very Ni.
    That kind of non-resolution resolution is very aggravating. In my mind, such a use of magic invalidates the prior themes he's been touching on. But it is a fictional work and, based on my aggravation, I clearly have no idea what the author was doing. lol I tend to have an immediate uncomfortable reaction towards magic or any kind of paranormal perspective/explanation. The way i see it, he is disregarding down to earth insights for out-of-this-world explanations. Marquez I'm sure has a different take on it/message. I wonder what it is...shoulda kept reading his stuff.

it was also interesting how my SEI spanish teacher kept subtly criticizing this aspect of márquez's work while generally praising his insight.
    I also find myself subtly criticizing that aspect of his work and might consequently go on to criticize his insight.

I found his ease with words fascinating. But the direction I felt him moving towards was rather foreign. But I'd be interested in reading some of his non-fiction works. See what his understandings are based on.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure he wrote any non-fiction. if he did, it's certainly not as prominent as his short stories/novels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked out one hundred years in solitude. I'm on page 40. The first character he describes is a great example of an ENTj. A scientist who gets excited about every new invention the gypsies bring. He builds a laboratory and discovers that the world is round. He gets the idea of using ice to build homes and create a sort of year-round-ice-city. How cozy. His wife sounds ISFj. She is constantly working to keep things productive. She criticizes a lot of his ideas and demands that he pay attention to his kids who are running around like donkeys. He takes her words literally and imagines that the gypsies have cast a spell on his kids.

One character goes through this horrible mating experience. That character seemed ISTp/INTp. I also felt like...THAT was the character that mirrored Garcia's own experiences.

Garcia has an awareness of people...and translates that awareness in a way that...reminds me of...heath.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maze
    His wife sounds ISFj. She is constantly working to keep things productive. She criticizes a lot of his ideas and demands that he pay attention to his kids who are running around like donkeys. He takes her words literally and imagines that the gypsies have cast a spell on his kids.
    What a nice duality
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maze
    demands that he pay attention to his kids who are running around like donkeys
    lmao
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTp

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dig it.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

WTF

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly none of you have read more than 2000 words by this guy.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Clearly none of you have read more than 2000 words by this guy.
    God why are you such a pretentious bitch

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    God why are you such a pretentious bitch
    You really the word "pretentious," don't you?

I confess that I find your usage as it applies to me extremely perplexing.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    This is obviously correct since no one dares contradict me:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post914526
    Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

I've never actually spoken to the man, but my boyfriend has (he's in Oaxaca quite a lot) and that's very much the impression I get.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really the word "pretentious," don't you?

I confess that I find your usage as it applies to me extremely perplexing.
    Much of what you say seems intended to cast your person in a particular light. We've been over this.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much of what you say seems intended to cast your person in a particular light. We've been over this.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's not what pretentious means. If anything I intentionally dumb myself down for this forum.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ISTp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way Gilly (not that this has anything to do with Marquez or my astounding pretense), anything anyone says is (intentionally or not) casts their "person in particular light."

You -- for example -- usually come off as an arrogant, ignorant, asshole. I don't know what your problem is with me. If you find me intimidating or "pretentious" or any number of fun adjectives. I'm not going to play myself down anymore than I already am just so you feel better.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha of some kind (ESE or SEI most likely).
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way Gilly (not that this has anything to do with Marquez or my astounding pretense), anything anyone says is (intentionally or not) casts their "person in particular light."

You -- for example -- usually come off as an arrogant, ignorant, asshole. I don't know what your problem is with me. If you find me intimidating or "pretentious" or any number of fun adjectives. I'm not going to play myself down anymore than I already am just so you feel better.
    Intimidated? Play yourself down more than you already are? Please, quit trying to make yourself feel better.

I just notice that you, whether consciously or not, passively/implicitly promote yourself in a lot of what you say, to the point that it feels forced to just watch and not say something. If it pisses you off that badly that I think this about you, then put me on fucking ignore.

Oh, and there's a difference between someone saying something that says something about them, and saying something that is supposed to say something about them. In your case, the things that the things you say are supposed to say about you, is what says the most.

Under cerulean skies...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the times Fi-PoLR sux ballz.