Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Semi-duality Relations: Stories & Experiences

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hmm that sounds about right, at least if I knew Dolphin in real life I can see how our interactions would play out like that.

Solutions... well.................................... act more like that person's dual, instead of semi-dual. So they won't feel so much bitterness at your depature. Don't obviously give them such a good boost, be more like the dual and be subtle, gentle over time. So when they go away each time it's not such a big dramatic departure that leaves your heart empty and hollow....more like, a part of them is always with you.

Dolphin gives me more raw energy than Sean, but ultimately Sean is the one I like a little more because I feel the power he does give me isn't such an addiction that I could leave without it, I could take him or leave him and because of that freedom he gives me, he is for the best because Love can't be an Obsession, it has to be pure selfless devotion for the other- which is what he gives me when we interact. I can just be myself TOTALLY. Dolphin IS still awesome, but alas- there is a difference between dual and semi-dual.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like all of my past relationships, haha

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds more like me and INTps than me and ISFps.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    That's one of the nicest things about duals. You can be yourself, and it's okay with them. They like all those weird things about you that other people just find weird. Kind of like Slacker_Mom's story about meeting her husband, and how all the ENFps that commented said how much they like the quiet mysteriousness of the ISTp. I don't think I could take it, but they like it. Funny how that works.
    She made ISTp's sound very creepy. And they all lapped it up

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    She made ISTp's sound very creepy. And they all lapped it up
    And I thought Beta ST was creepy.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes View Post
    And I thought Beta ST was creepy.
    I'm gonna stalk your ass. I need to do something with this carrot. There are all these carrots that appeared in my backyard. Who put them there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that's how that goes. but there is one solution, which is to make compromises

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Semi Duality "Re-Union"

I am curious what you think of this, and if it's happened to you.

There's a girl that i'm working with just now, and it's strange because she seems really familiar. It's almost like i've met her before. She seems familiar in personality and also somehow in looks. After working with her for a few days, I mentioned this to her. This seemed to suprise her and she said that she was thinking the same thing about me.

We exchanged surnames and details of where we grew up and other places etc, but it turns out that we haven't met before. If we have - we both don't recall.

I realised today that this person is an ENTp. I tend not to meet too many female ENTp's, and I think she is reminding me of a girl I knew a few years ago who was also ENTp.

It's like she's someone who is familiar, I am relaxed with but there's a certain distance at the same time, but still inheritently comfortable around each other. I trust her ability to do things and like how she handles things (probably my DS picking up on this).

I think it's interesting how we both seem to be familiar to each other. I wonder if we're somehow picking up on the semi-duality aspect and relating it back to other semi duals, or if it's just the affect of two dominant DS functions on each other. Maybe a bit of both.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 08-05-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, this has happened to me before. It was with a lookalike relation. Turned out it was at least partially because he reminded me of my dad. Not just physically but with his mannerisms and such. It was weird.

now I'm friends with this guy who's my dual and I don't get that feeling at all (that I've known him before) even though we do have all that other dual stuff they describe (like feeling perfectly comfortable and joyful, laughing all the time with them, etc). But I think that's because I've never experienced duality before so it's clear to me that it's new.

If you had a friendship/relationship with the previous ENTp, it would make sense that you'd recognize the new ENTp at least subconsciously as familiar.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default semi-duality

so, ENFp here. i think i have recently met my semi-dual and although we get along rather well, our conversations feel rather void...of something. i find myself bored, unimpressed, and not enlightened AT ALL.

is this common? is it because he lacks the extroverted logic that i so crave for? or maybe it is his extroverted feeling that leaves a bad taste in my mouth...blah! either way, i am soo unimpressed and not smitten at all...

any ideas as to why exactly? i found my beneficiary to be more attractive than this.
    ENFp. yay!

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't you say you found an SLI not too long ago? Why are you settling for SEI now?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW I have this same problem with my Semi-Dual boy friend but on a logic plane. If I try to have a discussion of something from a theoretical perspective you can just see my boyfriend's brain turn off because he sees it as highly impractical and not really in touch with reality. Generally we get on very well but it's obvious that we under-value that rational trait in each other. However it doesn't really bother me because we have a million other things in common and I have an EXE best friend who eats up my hypothesizing.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, semi-duality lacks the complete feeling of duality. All of a sudden, I can't remember what my sister and I talk about... all sorts of stuff, but not really theoretical things. I don't care. I have so much fun around her. I loooove SEIs.

Yeah, part of your problem might just be the guy.
    IEE

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    Didn't you say you found an SLI not too long ago? Why are you settling for SEI now?
    no no, i had questions about SLI's, but never found one! i wouldn't let go of an SLI!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    FWIW I have this same problem with my Semi-Dual boy friend but on a logic plane. If I try to have a discussion of something from a theoretical perspective you can just see my boyfriend's brain turn off because he sees it as highly impractical and not really in touch with reality. Generally we get on very well but it's obvious that we under-value that rational trait in each other. However it doesn't really bother me because we have a million other things in common and I have an EXE best friend who eats up my hypothesizing.
    ya, as long as he and i keep away from serious topics, i think it'll be fine. i think my irritation come from the fact that he has no direction (like my dual), but in an extroverted feeling way...no solid ground, we are both up in the clouds (rhyming not intended)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Yes, semi-duality lacks the complete feeling of duality. All of a sudden, I can't remember what my sister and I talk about... all sorts of stuff, but not really theoretical things. I don't care. I have so much fun around her. I loooove SEIs.

Yeah, part of your problem might just be the guy.
    have you ever had a theoretical conversation w/ her? ya, i think the reason why i felt so uninspired was because i had just finished a conversation w/ him and it was all theoretical--not what i was looking for.
    but, on a fun level, he is awesome!! down for new experiences, travel, sensations, and a good time...no arguing, peace keeping mediator haha
    ENFp. yay!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially, I click faster with semi-duals. They use their Fe to sort of build this bond between us quickly. Granted, I did meet one ISFp girl who I found boring (and she was), but I've met maybe 10 other ones who were all super charming and fun. Sometimes the guys can seem like ISTps at first when they are quiet.

Granted, it's not duality, but I think it's a good relationship. I wouldn't call it boring.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our conversations center more on the emotional/relational side of things. That touches on her profession more too - she's an elementary school teacher - so we always talk about a lot of stuff there. Other than that, we spend time just doing things together.
    IEE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Initially, I click faster with semi-duals. They use their Fe to sort of build this bond between us quickly. Granted, I did meet one ISFp girl who I found boring (and she was), but I've met maybe 10 other ones who were all super charming and fun. Sometimes the guys can seem like ISTps at first when they are quiet.

Granted, it's not duality, but I think it's a good relationship. I wouldn't call it boring.
    my mom and dad are IEE/SEI semi-duals. Not bad but not duality.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybeam View Post
    so, ENFp here. i think i have recently met my semi-dual and although we get along rather well, our conversations feel rather void...of something. i find myself bored, unimpressed, and not enlightened AT ALL.

is this common? is it because he lacks the extroverted logic that i so crave for? or maybe it is his extroverted feeling that leaves a bad taste in my mouth...blah! either way, i am soo unimpressed and not smitten at all...

any ideas as to why exactly? i found my beneficiary to be more attractive than this.
    I've found this to be true with my semi-dual as well... INTjs--I like them a lot, we get along well, but I can't say I've ever been "smitten..." I've been bored too, and unimpressed.

INTjs lack Se, which I've found makes me attracted, and stay interested long-term.

Their Ne doesn't put me off... It's more what they don't have (Se) than what they do...

I've found that I prefer Mirage relations to semi-dual relations romantically... In terms of friendship, it's the other way around.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    I've found this to be true with my semi-dual as well... INTjs--I like them a lot, we get along well, but I can't say I've ever been "smitten..." I've been bored too, and unimpressed.

INTjs lack Se, which I've found makes me attracted, and stay interested long-term.

Their Ne doesn't put me off... It's more what they don't have (Se) than what they do...

I've found that I prefer Mirage relations to semi-dual relations romantically... In terms of friendship, it's the other way around.
    serious? Ive never experienced semi-dual but mirage makes me want to off myself
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybeam View Post

is this common?
    yes if you've read some semi dual relationship descriptions it says:

The extraverts doesn't pay attention or listen to the introvert. The extravert does most of the talking.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I find that with semi-duals, we can get along great and have a tight friendship, but I can't have a "deep" conversation with them the same way I can with an IEI or an SLE; our styles of thinking tend to be too different. Of course, if we have an "artificial" (that is, external) aid to conversation, such as a shared set of terms of a specific field (literary criticism or the theology of a particular writer, for example), I'm sure that difficulty would be eased somewhat.

My brother is SEE, and we almost never talk about "deep" stuff (although when I explained some Shakespeare to him, he understood and took to it quite well). With philosophical stuff, he's generally better with my mom, who's IEE (I think). I think it's a Ti vs. Te thing. Anyway, we usually make jokes and reference family history or talk about people we know in common or random funny things from TV shows, movies, etc., and it's always a lot of fun. I find that I can usually talk about shared history, even shared cultural history, with people of most types, especially alpha and gamma, and have fun that way, even if we're not particularly compatible socionics/information metabolism-wise.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, I feel that semi-duality being described as the 'moth and the flame' relationship seems very apt. I find that I have lots to talk about with ISFps and that we get along extraordinarily well. But every now and again we do something that annoys the other person tremendously; specifically, I feel as if my ISFp friends can be too silly at times, and that I can be too serious at times.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arctures View Post
    For me, I feel that semi-duality being described as the 'moth and the flame' relationship seems very apt. I find that I have lots to talk about with ISFps and that we get along extraordinarily well. But every now and again we do something that annoys the other person tremendously
    yep. this has probably IMO to do with their 4th function. Basically what they are saying is, what you value as important, is something I use to whipe my ass with. And that's what annoys tremendously.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    yep. this has probably IMO to do with their 4th function. Basically what they are saying is, what you value as important, is something I use to whipe my ass with. And that's what annoys tremendously.
    I wouldn't call it so much a PoLR issue as it is a HA one. Since neither type is technically strong against each other's PoLR in semi-duality, I don't think that there would be a conscious attack upon each other that makes the other so uncomfortable. However with the HA, both types expect something out of the other type than they are able to receive since neither HAs are satisfied. This feeling of frustration is probably intensified more due to the psychological pleasantness of the dual-seeking functions being taken care of, and to have such compatability be thrown off by a separate expectation can seem particularly jarring.

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post

yes, i find myself to be really attracted to Te and God are ISFp's lacking it...could be casual friends, but anything deeper, which i tend to always lead to in any conversation, is just awful! When conversation leads there, we are definitely not on the same page at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Yeah, I find that with semi-duals, we can get along great and have a tight friendship, but I can't have a "deep" conversation with them the same way I can with an IEI or an SLE; our styles of thinking tend to be too different. Of course, if we have an "artificial" (that is, external) aid to conversation, such as a shared set of terms of a specific field (literary criticism or the theology of a particular writer, for example), I'm sure that difficulty would be eased somewhat.

My brother is SEE, and we almost never talk about "deep" stuff (although when I explained some Shakespeare to him, he understood and took to it quite well). With philosophical stuff, he's generally better with my mom, who's IEE (I think). I think it's a Ti vs. Te thing. Anyway, we usually make jokes and reference family history or talk about people we know in common or random funny things from TV shows, movies, etc., and it's always a lot of fun. I find that I can usually talk about shared history, even shared cultural history, with people of most types, especially alpha and gamma, and have fun that way, even if we're not particularly compatible socionics/information metabolism-wise.
    Yes, i have found that keeping it more surfaces level has helped. He is a pleasant conversationalist, just not one that i can relate to on a deeper level

For me, I feel that semi-duality being described as the 'moth and the flame' relationship seems very apt. I find that I have lots to talk about with ISFps and that we get along extraordinarily well. But every now and again we do something that annoys the other person tremendously; specifically, I feel as if my ISFp friends can be too silly at times, and that I can be too serious at times.
    oh yes! i feel that he and i are on the same page and then the conversation completely turns around for the worst. not that we argue or anything, he just start saying things that i do not click w/ at all...philisophically, he just sees things so much differently...he can't catch my drift, and his drift sucks. our views on life and how to get things done is a bit different too. He is waaay laid back and his head is way up in the clouds-no direction and an abstract plan to lead the way....no! it bothers me
    ENFp. yay!

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't call it so much a PoLR issue as it is a HA one. Since neither type is technically strong against each other's PoLR in semi-duality, I don't think that there would be a conscious attack upon each other that makes the other so uncomfortable. However with the HA, both types expect something out of the other type than they are able to receive since neither HAs are satisfied. This feeling of frustration is probably intensified more due to the psychological pleasantness of the dual-seeking functions being taken care of, and to have such compatability be thrown off by a separate expectation can seem particularly jarring.
    yeah, that's what I meant with 'what I value' (=HA). So we agree on this.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    serious? Ive never experienced semi-dual but mirage makes me want to off myself
    I've known some really cool LIIs, conversation is really easy with them and it's pretty simple to get them under your arm or whatever, but they are sort of unremarkable personality-wise; very interesting, but not engaging enough or really challenging. I find a lot of LII women attractive; I lost my virginity to one. I rarely dislike LIIs.

ESIs, on the other hand, are really hit or miss: some of them seem cool, but a lot of them just sort of turn me off, don't interest me at all, or seem misguided. A lot of them just seem way too reticent, not involved enough, sometimes even the cooler ones.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, that's what I meant with 'what I value' (=HA). So we agree on this.
    Sounds good to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I find a lot of LII women attractive; I lost my virginity to one.
    Did you "lost" it or give it away? :wink:
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Did you "lost" it or give it away? :wink:
    she borrowed it from him for a weekend and refused to give it back

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Experiences with Semi-Duality relations

edit.
    Last edited by idealistichick; 09-24-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it depends on your subtype. At least for me, I've noticed that I feel more of a "semi-dual" effect with ESI- subs. than with either type of LII.
    I've been good friends with a couple of LII's and their really gets on my nerves; also I noticed that one of them used way too much of role and that can be very frustrating; it just really depends on who you're dealing with though.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents are semi-duals. The relationship seems to "work" but it won't be pleasant forever. Semi-duals really piss each other off as much as they complement each other.
    EDIT: and if it matters it is ESI/LSE
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morcheeba, does that mean you feel more energised around your illusionary than your semi-dual? That's interesting. I find my illusionary really tiring me out when we are alone as I go into Fi role and listen/ignore their Te!

I love my semi dual so much that it definitely outweighs the annoyance I feel! Like they will do something annoying and I will get angry with it, but in a more passionate/forgiving way. "Ok I'm just going to ignore this stupid stuff so we can go back to the love" LOL
    I feel more comfort with my semi dual than my illusionary on close contact (one on one), far away though (like when other people come into the group) I would say illusionary may be better. Hope that makes sense.

If we are talking about romantic relationships, I would say they are fun but if things get too serious, there may be some trouble. Don't know if I would happily give up my semi-dual because of those differences. But the alpha atmosphere of silliness and pointlessness ugh I don't know.....
    ETA: the clash of erotic attitudes = annoying!!! Hate them going all caregiver on me. Being with another aggressor or a victim is much more fun!

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    EDIT: and if it matters it is ESI/LSE
    Well, obviously in socionics theory those two would be semi-duals; I was just saying that I think when you have a strengthened creative function then illusionary relations can feel like semi-duality.
    I just noticed that hanging out with my brother this past week in Las Vegas I wasn't tired out that much from my interactions with him, (he's an ESI- sub).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I think when you have a strengthened creative function then illusionary relations can feel like semi-duality.
    no way

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no way
    Would you care to elaborate? My own relations seem to say otherwise...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my parents are semi-duals. SEI and IEE. they do okay. At one point in their marriage, they thought about calling it quits but decided to stay and work on things and they're glad they did. There's clearly not 100% harmony but much more so than the supervisory marriages I know, for example. They have a different sense of humor--they don't always "get" each other, and they both need some logic which is nowhere to be found.

edit: I should say, I used to type my mom EII, so in other places on this forum, I had them as a relation of benefit. But I really do think my mom is IEE now.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    Well, obviously in socionics theory those two would be semi-duals; I was just saying that I think when you have a strengthened creative function then illusionary relations can feel like semi-duality.
    I just noticed that hanging out with my brother this past week in Las Vegas I wasn't tired out that much from my interactions with him, (he's an ESI- sub).
    I mentioned that to display their types, not to clarify what semi-duality is
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being around my semi-dual is like a roller coaster man. I like how she acknowledges me and brightens my day. On the other hand, a lot of her actions/thoughts frustrate me!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast