This is someone I used to work with, but I live in a small town so I still run into him all the time and we're still reasonably close acquaintances.

He is an engineer but he is more interested in the sales aspect of it - like getting new clients.

He likes to live in town where there's lots going on, and in a trendy place. He also is very concerned about his clothes and overall image. Oddly, he asks my advice on these matters. I don't know if it's because he really wants my advice (I am not a good person to ask) or if it's because he's showing off how hip he is. It doesn't matter to me particularly, he's generally a nice guy if a bit pretentious, so I just play along. The thing he usually asks my advice about is when he buys gifts for his girlfriend (which is often). Like he wants to know if the gift is right for the occasion, and I suppose if girls like it. He usually chooses jewelry.

He is very pretentious about things like music, books, etc. We were talking about music at some point and he made a point to say he only listens to classical music and wouldn't be caught dead listening to pop music.

He likes to argue. And he likes to at least make it seem like he knows more than I do about everything. This drives me crazy. I don't mind the pretentiousness, although it makes me roll my eyes. I do not like when I'll say something and he will *always* correct me and instruct me on something, even when he's wrong or doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying. He's always asking my advice on things or what I think about things, and it feels like he's trying to trap me into a debate.

Anyway, my reaction to him is exactly the same as my reaction to someone in this forum, which made me wonder if they were the same type. I will not say who but it might be easy to guess.