Thread: Ne: need for outside information?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ne: need for outside information?

Do ENTps and INTjs with their penchant for experience a 'need' for external information about the world around them as directed by to keep active and healthy? Are the shades of this interaction different - to any sizeable extent - based on whether a person's primary function as or ?

The impression I get of is that it's largely self-entertaining. Of course, the caveat here is that too much isolation breeds a certain amount of intellectual and emotional 'incest', if you will. Considerations of pure logic aside, if we expand the scope of the discussion to include type theory within its human, social context (as we have, as we should) one could make an obvious argument that informed by no other function such as leads to a disasterous result.

It is one thing to read political theory or philosophy and compare it with one's own views in the abstract, theoretical sense. It's another to turn on the TV news and watch the principles play themselves out in real-time drama. I would think that would be a virtual romper-room for Thinking types as it afford the passive exercise of knowledge, as well as the active exercise of possibility.

How about at an emotional level? Does an inhibited cut off from the outside world lend to depressive/apathetic states in ENTps and INTjs?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing to say about emotions.

As for the first paragraph to waht you said, I believe it to be very true. Speaking for myself, LII, new information is essential to well being. You can refine something down to it's core, but the problem is, you stop using the part of your brain that interprets new information. You actually train yourself to not use part of your brain. This is not healthy, as, like any person, the more you consciously are aware of and use differnt aspects of your brain the better you are.

Knowing your order and your preferences is one thing. But neglecting aspects of reality, or health, of of brain utilization is not optimal.

The impression I get of Introverted Thinking is that it's largely self-entertaining. Of course, the caveat here is that too much isolation breeds a certain amount of intellectual and emotional 'incest', if you will. Considerations of pure logic aside, if we expand the scope of the discussion to include type theory within its human, social context (as we have, as we should) one could make an obvious argument that Introverted Thinking informed by no other function such as Extraverted Intution leads to a disasterous result.
    That's exactly right.

I think that Ti on it's own, especially, is one of the most dangerous, unhealthy functions there is. Focusing so much on Ti and refusing outside information, that can cause disasterous things for personal health. And god forbid that person be in a position of power.

PS: (Obviously that can apply to any function and there is no "worst function", but I think it is extremely important for each person to understand the extremes of their ego block functions, in particular ego block function, because that is your "base".)

PPS: http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...=171716#171716
    Look at what MR said in the context of this thread.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say types are addicted to "new"

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you are saying, but I don't think it is *directly* related to . (at least for INTjs) Rather, I think it's in our case.

As for ENTps, your description holds pretty good considering their is accepting, not producing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wikipedia = An Alpha Paradise.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    I see what you are saying, but I don't think it is *directly* related to . (at least for INTjs) Rather, I think it's in our case.
    That an interesting concept.

Is it 'conceivable' that a) if an INTj experiences anxiety towards the external world, that b) he/she is caught in a unique sort of paradox via c) both needing and reviling external (general/all-encompassing) information?

...Is it 'characteristic' of an INTj, or does this stretch the particulars of socionics to an absurd level?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic View Post
    i would say types are addicted to "new"
    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    That an interesting concept.

Is it 'conceivable' that a) if an INTj experiences anxiety towards the external world, that b) he/she is caught in a unique sort of paradox via c) both needing and reviling external (general/all-encompassing) information?

...Is it 'characteristic' of an INTj, or does this stretch the particulars of socionics to an absurd level?
    this was on the point twenty years ago. now with the spread and availability of the internet and its multitude of informative and entertainment websites and multiplayer games this is less of a paradox for Ne/Si. it can expand its reaches and obtain all the information that it needs about the external world from the comfort of its home, without the anxiety of actually venturing out into unknown physical space.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem is locality. Ne wants to be independent from the local, but all observation concerns local factors. so every observation hs to be held in check, not given due influence, until a large enough sample base is constructed. in the meantime, though, there is a looooot of room and time for rumination.