I am working through Reinin's Dichotomies to see how much I can come to understand of it. My goal is one thread per Dichotomy.

Ok, this is information taken from the following two sites:
http://the16types.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3398
http://www.socioniko.net/en/articles/gulenko-mbti.html

Static
“IJ & EP” = Ne, Se, Ti, Fi = Pe, Ji
Extraverted Perceiving Functions
Introverted Judging Functions

Perceptions:
* separate states, instances
* events fixed in the consciousness as “photographs” (scenes, pictures, snapshots)
* object oriented

Vocabulary:
* sentences: object = description
* modal verbs (want, can, could, might, may, should, perhaps, possible, usually, generally, etc.)
* “to be” connective verb (is, was, seems to be, etc)
* impersonal pronouns
* simple time; indefinite verbs

Dynamic
IP & EJ = Ni, Si, Te, Fe = Pi, Je
Introverted Perceiving Functions
Extraverted Judging Functions

Perceptions:
* continuous flow of changes
* events fixed in consciousness as “videos”
* subject oriented

Vocabulary:
* sentences: subject verbs
* active verbs (went, made, brought, sat, enjoyed, cried, etc)
* action without a direct object
* prolonged time; continuous verbs

Question:
* What is it about Pe and Ji being Static?
* What is it about Pi and Je being Dynamic?

"Good logic does not make for good thinking. If the perception is poor then good logic will give you a faulty answer."

"Every person is the hero of their own story."

Olga

Total Words: 202,593
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:06 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I remember they do not know why some people are static or dynamic. Dynamics associated with -(uncontrollable fire, vulcano?). For example I like slow motion films (static), my husband like speedmoving actionfilms.

Rocky

Total Words: 339,380
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along the lines of what Ishy said. But it also has to do with the Judging functions. If you have Te or Fe showing, you are more likely to be "aroused" by conflict so to speak. Te and Fe feel the need to jump out and react. If you have Ti or Fi on the other hand, you are more likely to tip-toe into conflict and you're not as easily "set-off" by things that happen. So, to me, Dynamic types simply seem more reactionary.

while your wife
sits at home
i plant the vermin
because she needs it so

vague wrote:
Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Last edited by Rocky on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

schrödinger's cat

Total Words: 120,385

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:45 pm Post subject:

*slams head against wall* Could someone give a few examples of static vs. dynamic behaviour? I can understand the theory (i.e. why Pe and Ji are static), but I can't imagine what this would be like IRL. So, please, take pity and post a few anecdotes.

anndelise

Total Words: 157,305
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:08 pm Post subject:

schrödinger's cat wrote:
*slams head against wall* Could someone give a few examples of static vs. dynamic behaviour? I can understand the theory (i.e. why Pe and Ji are static), but I can't imagine what this would be like IRL. So, please, take pity and post a few anecdotes.

I'll see what I can work up....exampling static will be easier for me than dynamic. Hopefully though, others will post on this too.

"Good logic does not make for good thinking. If the perception is poor then good logic will give you a faulty answer."

Slacker Mom

Total Words: 104,851
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 pm Post subject:

I'm pretty moody and have a bad temper so I don't see dynamic = moody as a reference from my own personal experience.

I agree that I have my memories (particularly from a long time ago like childhood) stored in my head as snapshots rather than videos.

Also, while I flare up from time to time, I generally try to avoid conflict. Maybe dynamic people enjoy drama? I know my mom (ENTj) and my dad (ENFj) do. The constant drama they have going makes me anxious but they seem to like it in some weird way.

One other thing - do dynamic types like adreneline rush type activites more? My husband definitely does (he drag races after all) and he's ISTp, and my dad does as well. I'm not sure about my mom. I hate that kind of thing, as do my sister (INFj) and my brother (ISFj). So my own very limited experience points that way anyway. And are dynamic types more into athletics? My husband is athletic, and my dad was quite the baseball player in his day - he was even scouted by pro teams until he had an arm injury. Again, the static types I know aren't athletic. Is this just my family or is this part of it?

Slacker Mom

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:32 pm Post subject:

Ok. Can you define reactionary then because I don't understand what he means.

Thanks

schrödinger's cat

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:38 pm Post subject:

Nicky wrote:
One other thing - do dynamic types like adreneline rush type activites more? My husband definitely does (he drag races after all) and he's ISTp, and my dad does as well.

You'd be surprised if I told you what image came to my mind when I read "drag race", before I knew what it meant. I looked it up now.

Slacker Mom

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:38 pm Post subject:

Ah well that certainly isn't me then

SC: ROFL! Too funny

anndelise

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:49 pm Post subject:

*suddenly imagining various forms of "drag racing"*

*wraps arms around her head and runs away chanting "no, no nonononononononnoon"*

Transigent

Total Words: 63,887

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:06 pm Post subject:

Edited for gayness.

Last edited by Transigent on Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total

anndelise

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 pm Post subject:

schrödinger's cat wrote:

The best I can do regarding anecdotes:

Quote:
Notes and Thoughts:
Static = photographs, scenes, instances, videos made up of quickly linked frames, sees the dots, Which frames should I describe?

Dynamic = sees the curve, What if there weren’t frames? How would you separate the pieces? How would you know which pieces to separate?

There is at least once instance on this forum in which dots and curves were discussed. Statics see the dots, and from there may see the curve. A Dynamic sees the curve and stressed when asked to make a dot because a dot isn’t a representative of the curve at all. Even if asked to make several dots, they get agitated. They’d rather just give you the curve’s formula.

Examples if not quite anecdotes:
When talking with a Static, they’ll mention bits and parts. A little here, a little there, leaving it up to you to connect the dots. When a Static asks questions, they focus on some individual piece. A Static’s story will include a descriptive set up which uses a lot of “is”. As if they are describing a picture in their head. Another Static may actually get into the story, as if they were seeing/hearing/touching/smelling it with the speaker. A Dynamic hears a Static’s story, and wonders when the Static will get to the point...the action of the story.
“He is standing next to the car, wearing a white shirt, one hand on his hip, and a coffee mug in his other hand. She’s coming out of the building, in a rush to get to her car. Her car door is right next to his elbow...” (Note: He IS standing next to the car. He IS wearing a white shirt. His hand IS on his hip. A coffee mug IS in his other hand. She IS coming out of the building. She IS in a rush to get to her car.)

When talking with a Dynamic, they’re usually not sure where to begin, nor end. A Dynamics story will include an action setup which brings up a lot of previous actions which lead up to the main action and then subsequent actions. Another Dynamic may actually get into the story, as if they are there, going through it all with the speaker. The Static hears the Dynamic’s story, and wonders what the point of the story is, what instance is the story supposed to be describing?
“She went to the store to buy some toilet paper. Her mother was sitting on the toilet unable to get up because they had ran out of toilet paper. (Her mother used it to clean the window because those crows kept doing flyby’s on it.). She ran to the car and doesn’t notice a guy standing in her way.....” (Note: Usually there is a much lengthier set up than the one in parenthesis which I wrote, sometimes the set up can go up to hours or days prior to the intended story. However, notice all the active verbs used...especially in comparison with the Static’s story.)

Statics and Dynamics arguing:
When a Static and a Dynamic argue, the Dynamic often accuses the Static of doing some deliberate action, as if it’s happening at the moment it’s being said. “You say this, then you say that. You are the one who keeps doing X.” A Static will describe it as if it already happened. “This happened, and this happened. Usually when that happens it seems like the other thing happens.” During the argument, and at the end of the argument, the Static is left bewildered as to why the Dynamic is attacking them. The Dynamic is left bewildered as to why the Static isn’t accepting responsibility for their actions.

anndelise

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:58 pm Post subject:

Aleesha wrote:
Basically get worked up about peoples opinions and arguements and will unashamedly fight to the death about it (or at least until they get bored).

oy, i dislike fighting with dynamics...it feels as if they want it to go on and on and on....the process isn't over for them...where as for me, it's like..it happened, the instance is over, let's move on to something else

I also have noticed that dynamics fill up with adrenaline really quickly. To me, it seems as if the more they react to the adrenaline, the more gets produced. It actually looks (and sounds) like a spiral going out of control. Is that how it feels?

How DOES a Dynamic determine when to end the argument?
How can a Static help the Dynamic get to that point of not arguing anymore?

I wonder, are the Dynamic types the one's who tend to hold long term grudges?

schrödinger's cat

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:33 pm Post subject:

Transigent, thanks for posting that. I think I understand it all a little better now. Just to make sure I'm getting it right:

"Aware of their directed thoughts / actions" = statics extemporise their actions and sort of improvise their way along, dynamics extemporise their words and see where it takes them?

Thinking in isolation and away from the environment: does that mean that dynamics leave the melée and sort of lock themselves in the toilet so they can have a good think in peace and quiet?

And if you or anyone else could help me out: what is meant by "implicit action", "implication", "synthesizing" and "apprehending"? Thanks!

schrödinger's cat

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:55 pm Post subject:

Anndelise, thanks for your examples. My husband is probably a Dynamic and we sort of recognized ourselves. We had to laugh because it summed up some communication hiccups we sometimes have. It's helpful to finally have a name for all this.