Originally Posted by Snakeingrass
The promised second installation... Sorry it took so long, but other events have kept my attention for a while.
Phase Two: Getting to know an INTp
This phase could very well be the most interesting part in your relationship with an INTp. Why? Well, first of all – it’s the phase where the INTp is getting to know YOU. Expect many questions from the INTp. Also, in some cases, if you happen to be labeled as a ‚Really interesting person’ you should expect a full-blown interrogation. The reason behind such behaviour is simple – the INTp really wants to find out why he or she is interested in you. While the reason is simple, the INTp will definitely NOT settle for simple answers. Let me illustrate the logic behind this behaviour with a sample thought process of an INTp:
1. I find this person interesting. Before event X, I didn’t. That can mean the following:
_____a. I changed somehow
_____b. The person in question changed somehow
_____c. I found out something about the person that changed my perception
2. If I changed, I need to find out what triggered the change, what the change is and whether it is a good thing.
3. If the person in question changed, I need to find out what triggered the change, what the change is, why do I like it and how can I trigger such changes in other people.
4. If my perception about the person changed based on some information I didn’t previously have, there might be more information available which might lead to even more interesting things. I must find out everything about the person and see what happens.
The thought process might or might not be conscious – the results are usually the same. Let’s have a quick look at how the resulting behaviour affects communication:
- You can ask almost any question from the INTp and get an answer – the INTp sees it as an even trade for information about you.
- You will usually have the undivided attention of the INTp whenever you want.
- You can discuss absolutely any topic with the INTp, since your opinions on all sorts of matters might be important clues to ‚figuring you out’.
- The INTp WILL ask many questions from you and some of those might seem deeply personal to you (the INTp will of course remain absolutely oblivious to the fact that you might resent some questions. Should you point it out, the INTp will be confused).
- During this phase, the INTp will seek opportunities to give you undivided attention. Due to weak Fe of the INTp, it might or might not happen at unopportune moments.
- The INTp will try to discuss absolutely any topics with you, many of which you might find boring or worse.
This phase also houses many debates and discussions. Some people might see them as arguments, but not an INTp. Important thing to remember here is that positions an INTp takes in a debate do NOT necessarily represent his or her actual convictions. As an intellectual excercise it’s not unusual at all for an INTp to vigorously defend an opinion and in the next debate to oppose it with zeal.
Why, you might ask. Usually the INTp simply wants to observe your methods of thinking – how do you verify your facts, how do you reach conclusions, what arguments are effective against you. It might seem invasive, but it’s important to the INTp, since they need well-defined methods of approaching people. Unless you participate in these debates, they will have no idea how to convince you of something or even how to ask a favor from you – and that will cause them to keep distance from you.
Well - this is it for the second installation. I hope I can stay focused enough to describe the third phase, though there might not be much to say. As far as I can say, after these two phases have passed, the INTp will start to act almost like a normal person... :wink: