Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Office (US version)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Office (US version)

The Office

I think the show is a great avenue to do a VI. The characters are really stereotypical.

Michael Scott (boss): ESTp
    Dwight Schrute (assistant to the boss): ESTj
    Pam (receptionist): ISFp
    Jim (guy in love with Pam): ENTp (note the duality)
    Angela (from the finance dept; Dwight's gf): ISFj
    Ryan (the temp): INTj
    Kelly Kapoor: ESFj
    Phyllis: INFp
    Stanley: ISTj
    Roy (Pam's fiance): ESTp
    What do u think?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After your "Duality in Media" thread, I thought I would look to see if someone else had made a thread about The Office. And I found this untouched thread, so I thought that I would bump it back up.

Michael Scott (boss): ENFj ?
    Dwight Schrute: INTp
    Jim Halpert: ENTp
    Pam Beesley: ISFp
    Ryan (the temp): ?

Angela Martin: ISFj
    Oscar Martinez: ESTj
    Kevin Malone: ?

Stanley Hudson: ISTj
    Phyllis Lapin: INFp
    Meredith Palmer: ?
    Toby Flenderson (HR): ISTp
    Roy (Pam's fiance): ESTp
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this show as clever/funny as people make it out to be?
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .thursday
    Anything is always what you make it out to be. It depends on your own personal humor styles, I suppose. Mockumentaries? Office life?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it?
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you are asking cannot be truly answered. Your question is like asking "Is the sun really as bright outside as people are making it out to be?" or "Is temperature really as cold outside as people are making it out to be?" or "Is that rose as red as people are making it out to be?" It depends. I enjoy it, but me enjoying it is in no way a guarantee that the show would meet your expectations. Sorry.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would have you apply that rule to all conversation and you would find yourself a mute

viva palestina

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would have you apply that rule to all conversation and you would find yourself a mute
    ridiculous.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup. I find it very realistic and the humor is dry and subtle (my favorite ). It's probably the best show on TV (the next best show is Survivor). I always enjoy watching shows that depict realism and how group dynamics work out in an enclosed setting. It makes me appreciate and understand communication between people better. And the chemistry between Jim (ENTp) and Pam (ISFp) is hard to ignore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit: i don't know why i am getting riled up. i am silly.

anyways i was just wondering what your opinions were, not your opinions of what it means to have opinions or whatever. : /

viva palestina

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well any other opinions about the types of these characters? The only characters that I can say I am confident in their types are Dwight, Jim, Pam, Angela, and Kelly.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Well any other opinions about the types of these characters? The only characters that I can say I am confident in their types are Dwight, Jim, Pam, Angela, and Kelly.
    I think Dwight is an ESTj (even though I haven't met one IRL before ). He seems to be obsessed with his title [Assistant (to) the Regional Manager ], very involved in martial arts, authoritarian, has great respect for authority and extremely law-abiding (volunteering as a weekend sheriff and conducting a drug test on the whole office).

As for Kevin, I think he's ISTp.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwight is completely LSI. Michael Scott is LIE probably. Jim is ILE (note the obvious supervision between he and Dwight, and the quadra conflict between he and Michael.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan
    Dwight is completely LSI.
    Why not LSE?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introverts are the classic "sidekicks." Besides, he wilfully subordinates himself to Michael in order to climb in the organization and have a position of power; typical unhealthy LSI behavior, and certainly not characteristic of an LSE or any other Delta; this kind of behavior is the antithesis of Delta.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwight is completely LSI. Michael Scott is LIE probably. Jim is ILE (note the obvious supervision between he and Dwight, and the quadra conflict between he and Michael.
    Hardly anyone would doubt that Jim is most likely ILE or that Pam is probably SEI. But Dwight seems to fall within the Serious dichotomy as opposed the Merry. I can certainly see the elements of LSI though. I suppose Michael insensitivity would point him to an LIE, and it may explain his constant, but inadvertant, strife with Pam.

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Why not LSE?
    Because although you have not seen any LSE's in real life, I have, and they do not act anything like Dwight.
    Johari Box

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Michael could be SLE. He doesn't seem Serious (but then neither do Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, or Steve Carrel, for that matter ), and he IS a bit boisterous for an LIE.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Michael could be SLE. He doesn't seem Serious (but then neither do Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, or Steve Carrel, for that matter ), and he IS a bit boisterous for an LIE.
    Another indicator may be Toby, who seems to be Michael's supervisor in terms of Socionics. And if we were to assume that Toby is an ISTp, then his supervisee would be an ENTj.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Why not LSE?
    Because although you have not seen any LSE's in real life, I have, and they do not act anything like Dwight.
    That's very good news. I learn new things about ESTjs everyday.

Actually, Toby could be INTj.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far:

Michael Scott (boss): ENxj
    - The question seems to be one of or .

Jim Halpert: ENTp
    Pam Beesley: ISFp
    - These two are almost conclusive in their type. It is duality in motion. They are both Alphas living a mundane corporate world who cope with it through the use of (and fun) in the work environment. Jim enjoys playing with and pointing out the logical inconsistencies of his superiors and Dwight through . True to form of the artistic ISFp (however superficial of a title it may be), Pam's secret dream is even to be an artist.

Dwight Schrute: ISTj or INTp
    - He either has, needs, or seeks . His leading function is most likely introverted, and he has either a or preference.

Ryan (the temp): INTj ?
    - Can at times be a bit negative (and blunt).
    - Has an off-and-on relationship with Kelly.
    - He apparently knows more about business, but is not that great of salesman.
    - Quiet and keeps to himself as to avoid getting sucked into the problems of others in the Office.

Angela Martin: ISFj
    - A no nonsense, by-the-book, keeps to herself accountant with a strong moral sense of .

Oscar Martinez: ESTj
    Kevin Malone: ISTp

Stanley Hudson: xxTj
    - He is here to do his job and nothing more.

Phyllis Lapin: INFj ?
    - The office's chatter box, gossip monger, and socialite.

Toby Flenderson (HR): ?
    - Does not get along well with Michael, or rather, for some reason Michael is easily upset by what Toby does or says.

Roy (Pam's fiance): ESTp?
    - Treats Pam more as an object. I do not think necessarily that his type is one that treats people as objects, but the sort of relationship in which he is in a superior position in the relation.
    Johari Box

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Office (american)

I looked briefly for a thread, but didn't find one.

I have a liking for Jenna Fischer.. she reminds me of Maura Tierney. What do you think her type is? While you're at it, you can type your fav Office stars.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I miss this thread?
    I think Jenna Fishcher is ISFp.
    <-Anyway, my favorite is John Krasinski, who starred as Jim Halpert. He's probably ENTp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ryan and Kelly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgk43Abi950[/youtube]

My favorite characters on The Office.
    INTj

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFj (Kelly)- INTj (Ryan) duality.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not know, Ryan is easily annoyed by Kelly. It is possible that their disfunctional relationship relfects that of an ENTj-ESFj.
    Johari Box

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate somewhat, but he carries himself too softly for my liking. Seems to be LII. Fe dual seeking seems more likely than Fe as a hidden agenda. He did not seem leading. I do not watch the show however.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this on wikipedia that would suggest duality:

Even though Ryan and Kelly continue to bicker, he is sweet to her in the episode "Safety Training" after he kisses her on the forehead while winning a bet. B.J. Novak has stated that Ryan and Kelly are going strong, well into the third season: "I think Ryan and Kelly is a relationship that everyone has been in. It's a puzzle as to why they're still together, but I think Ryan loves being loved--even though he won't admit it. He lost Michael's love so he has to take in more love from Kelly."
    I mean, ESFjs can be embarassingly overaffectionate sometimes. I've also been told I'm like some kind of Ryan clone.
    INTj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not call myself a Ryan clone. I am a lot colder and harder to relate to it seems. However, I am done trying to avoid my logical approach to things even if it is not smooth - I will be who I am and deviate from there when necessary, not start with a deviation and be concerned about going back to the more essential nature.

Aside: I almost wonder if I was an subtype via my environmental and early setting, but now, as I am more on my own, the side is coming out much more.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That guy looks so much like an ISFJ IRL. I wonder if he is. I know two ISFJs that look similar.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ataronchronon

I mean, ESFjs can be embarassingly overaffectionate sometimes. I've also been told I'm like some kind of Ryan clone.
    I don't watch the show but my husband is an ESFj and he's very embarassingly overaffectionate ALL the time. He always wants to make out on our front porch and I just cannot do that. He sometimes even gets upset with me when I don't sit close enough to him IN CHURCH. He thinks it means I'm being moody or that I'm mad at him.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this thread as well: http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...ghlight=office. But I may go back and reevaluate these characters although the typings for some of those characters have remained the same.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Jim being ENTp. Pam I'm not 100% convinced is ISFp, but it's definitely possible.

Dwight: LSI. He has power trips, which could be a sign of Se, and Jim does seem to supervise him.

Michael: Not sure. I think a lot of the awkward moments are from a role or PoLR function. Not sure which one to attribute it to, though. Fi? He's Merry, I think, so that could fit too.

Angela: almost definitely ISFj.

Kevin: Looking at some of the posts above, ISTp comes up a few times, but I'm not sure of that. Not sure of what else he could be though. Whatever the case, he's awesome.
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Office

I've somehow been conned into watching a few episodes. I don't know if a thread has been done on this already or not, as I would not have paid attention to it (except maybe to criticize) in the past. Anyways, I'm curious about what people think of the characters' types? Here's a list of characters.

Michael Scott (Regional Manager of the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin)
    Dwight Schrute (Assistant "to the" Regional Manager)
    Jim Halpert (Sales Representative)
    Pam Beesly (Receptionist)
    Ryan Howard (Temporary Worker)
    Angela Martin (Accounting Supervisor)
    Roy Anderson (Dock Worker)
    Kevin Malone (Accountant)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_from_The_Office_(US)

Here are some other secondary characters whose types I'm less interested in:

Oscar Martinez (Accountant)
    Stanley Hudson (Sales Representative)
    Phyllis Lapin (Sales Representative)
    Andy Bernard (Regional Director in Charge of Sales, Stamford)
    Karen Filippelli (Sales Representative, Stamford)
    Meredith Palmer (Supplier Relations Representative)
    Kelly Kapoor (Customer Service Representative)
    Creed Bratton (Quality Assurance Officer)
    Darryl Philbin (Warehouse Supervisor)
    Jan Levinson-Gould (Vice-President of Regional Sales)
    Toby Flenderson (Human Resources Representative, Scranton)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Office

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I've somehow been conned into watching a few episodes. I don't know if a thread has been done on this already or not, as I would not have paid attention to it (except maybe to criticize) in the past. Anyways, I'm curious about what people think of the characters' types? Here's a list of characters.

Michael Scott (Regional Manager of the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin) ENTj
    Dwight Schrute (Assistant "to the" Regional Manager) ISTj
    Jim Halpert (Sales Representative) ENTp
    Pam Beesly (Receptionist) ISFp
    Ryan Howard (Temporary Worker) ESTj ?
    Angela Martin (Accounting Supervisor) ISFj
    Roy Anderson (Dock Worker) ESTp
    Kevin Malone (Accountant) ISTp
    Did you not like The Office?
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny, but it's so depressing... it's like Seinfeld (except I rarely find Seinfeld funny). Basically, it's literally painful to watch such stupid, stupid people.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny, but it's so depressing... it's like Seinfeld (except I rarely find Seinfeld funny). Basically, it's literally painful to watch such stupid, stupid people.
    This sounds more like the first season. The show gets less depressing (despite the ups and downs in the relationships), but the stupid people remain.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take on the show (and I've only seen like 5 episodes) is that it's coming from an Alpha perspective.

Michael Scott: SLE
    Dwight Schrute: LIE
    Jim Halpert: ILE
    Pam Beesly: she seems EII when she's dealing with Michael, but a little IEI when she's dealing with Jim, and I sometimes wonder if she's not SEI
    Ryan Howard: LII for sure
    Angela Martin: ESI
    Roy Anderson: generic ST
    Kevin Malone: I don't know. Some sort of introvert?

(and now I'll read yours)
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Scott (Regional Manager of the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin) ENTj I have a hard time seeing it... He seems Se dominant, though I could see him being a bit too out there to be an irl SLE. I figured it was an Alpha caricature of SLE's.
    Dwight Schrute (Assistant "to the" Regional Manager) ISTj I could see that. Again, he's too "rational" and greedy to be an irl LIE, I figured it was an Alpha caricature of LIE's.
    Jim Halpert (Sales Representative) ENTp
    Pam Beesly (Receptionist) ISFp But then why is she so incapable of standing up for herself? It's literally painful to watch.
    Ryan Howard (Temporary Worker) ESTj ? Really? Granted I'm only on episode 5 or 6 or so, but this seems extremely unlikely thus far. His mannerisms and behavior so far seem totally in line with LII to me.
    Angela Martin (Accounting Supervisor) ISFj Yes, another Alpha caricature.
    Roy Anderson (Dock Worker) ESTp Perhaps.
    Kevin Malone (Accountant) ISTp Really? I don't have much of an opinion at this point, but ILI had crossed my mind.
    SEE

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Scott (Regional Manager of the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin) LIE maybe?
    Dwight Schrute (Assistant "to the" Regional Manager) LIE as well maybe?
    Jim Halpert (Sales Representative) ILE
    Pam Beesly (Receptionist) Hardest one to type by far....... SEI, IEI, and EII all seem possible, might lean towards the first.
    Ryan Howard (Temporary Worker) LII
    Angela Martin (Accounting Supervisor) Is she ESI?.... I like her. How about INTp?
    Roy Anderson (Dock Worker) Don't know him......
    Kevin Malone (Accountant) LSI I think.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Scott: SLE
    I have a hard time seeing it... He seems Se dominant, though I could see him being a bit too out there to be an irl SLE. I figured it was an Alpha caricature of SLE's.
    Perhaps.

Dwight Schrute: LIE
    I could see that. Again, he's too "rational" and greedy to be an irl LIE, I figured it was an Alpha caricature of LIE's.
    No, he's an LSI. Notice the Jim/Dwight supervision. But still you should not say that LSI's are greedy and that LIE's could not possibly be that, considering that these are caricatures, and Dwight represents an unhealthy sort of LSI.

Jim Halpert: ILE
    Pam Beesly: she seems EII when she's dealing with Michael, but a little IEI when she's dealing with Jim, and I sometimes wonder if she's not SEI
    But then why is she so incapable of standing up for herself? It's literally painful to watch.
    Pam and Jim are the easiest types to recognize on this show. She is SEI and Jim is definitely ILE. Even SEI's have difficulties standing up for themselves at times. But Pam has been under the yolk of Roy for so long that she is scared to break away from the certainty that he represents. She does begin to stand up for herself though towards the end of Season 3, but that is because she now has to stand alone.

Ryan Howard: LII for sure
    Really? Granted I'm only on episode 5 or 6 or so, but this seems extremely unlikely thus far. His mannerisms and behavior so far seem totally in line with LII to me.
    While some people say this, I find it doubtful. As we see in later episodes, his greater concern is improving "what works" in Dunder Mifflin and increasing the efficiency of the business, and he possesses an ambition for an MBA so that he can own his business. That is not to say that LII's cannot, but comparing Ryan with Jim shows that they do not seem to have the same Quadra values.

Angela Martin: ESI
    Yes, another Alpha caricature.
    Yes.

Roy Anderson: generic ST
    Perhaps.
    Generic ST is a good way of putting it. But it would perhaps best be to examine the nature of the relationship the "generic ST" has with SEI Pam.

Kevin Malone: I don't know. Some sort of introvert?
    Really? I don't have much of an opinion at this point, but ILI had crossed my mind.
    I said ISTp in part due to the sort of friendship he had with Jim, whom he tends to get along well with.
    Johari Box

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast