Thread: type this other description

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default type this other description

This person may be more difficult to type because he has issues with depression and social anxiety, but I'll try to describe him as objectively as possible. He also believes he suffers from Scrupulosity. I do not know if that last one is type related.

I'm inclined to see him as an IxFx, and his most obvious dichotomy is Negativism.

The thing that stands out most about him to me is the way he holds onto grudges and the negative emotions from events forever. If he's reminded of a situation which made him unhappy at any point in his life, he gets somewhat of an "angry" tone and mentions it as if it happened yesterday. A lot of things that wouldn't bother most people all that much really upset him. It's a bad idea to let him see a movie where some horrible injustice happens to a character because it is all he will remember of the movie, and it will upset him greatly. He may even go off on an "angry" rant and storm out. He will remain upset for hours, and will get upset again if something happens that reminds him of that movie. It's also a bad idea to mention similar irl stories for the same reason. He wishes ill on those who he sees committing these injustices. He tends to label guilty parties and then judges them or those similar to them too harshly later, even in seemingly unrelated circumstances. For example, his brother in law told about something some great injustice at his workplace and community involving Hmong population, and then decades later he'll sneer when someone mentions the Hmong. He warned me against investing in real estate in a specific city because of a higher than average number of its residents are Hmong. When I asked him why that mattered, he got a bit agitated (not at me) and went into the stuff his brother in law had told him. That's just one example... but I don't see him as a particularly racist person. He makes those types of judgments about all kinds of people/organizations/situations. It always happens like that, too... when asked how the past experience he's recounting is relevant (because it's generally not), he's unable to come up with a good reason.

I've never seen him get upset like that about a situation involving anyone he's close to though. He doesn't appear to hold grudges against loved ones. He also recalls happy memories in as much detail as the unhappy ones, and will tell the story about it if something reminds him of it.

He is a very loyal and trustworthy person. He is somewhat paranoid about being used or fooled or taken advantage of though. (For example, he and I bought laptops from Best Buy within the same week, and I had signed up for their reward card because I'd be getting like $120 in the mail in gift certificates and the rewards card only costs $10 or something like that. When I mentioned this, he got upset, thinking he had somehow been duped because nobody had told him about the card when he made his purchase.) When something doesn't work out, he says, "I knew something would screw this up."

He is a kind and good-natured person, overall, but also very reserved. When I was a bartender I talked to a couple people who worked at the same place he does, and they both pretty much said, "Oh yeah, I know him. He helped me out once with something I had a problem with. He really keeps to himself though. He never seems interested in conversing or getting to know people outside of his department. He just wants to get what he came for and go back to the tool room... I mean, he's not rude or anything, just untalkative."

He is pretty risk adverse and dislikes change. He tends to worry a lot, too (such as worrying that the company he works for will go out of business), especially if there's a big decision to be made. For example, he worked at a stressful job where he was underpaid for a long time (seven to ten years maybe?) even though he could have found a job in his field (he's a tool and die maker) that would have paid him more. He had no interest in looking though, and he was unwilling to drive to a different city for work. I think part of the reason that he stayed was because he felt that they'd be kind of screwed without him. It was a small family company (the husband, wife, son, and son in law were the only other employees) owned by people we went to church with, and the husband faced some very serious health issues. Not long after the husbands death he decided it was time to find a new job. I think the son was running the company poorly or something like that. If that job or family is brought up, he gets sorta upset as described above, as if he was ripped off somehow, or disappointed in himself for making a bad decision.

He's the type of person that only has a few friends, but stays friends with them for a very long time. He doesn't see them very often though.

Aside from what I've described above and only around people he's close to, his temperament is generally pretty laid back. He talks happily to people he's close to, such as his family or the three or four people who work in his department. He jokes around and says somewhat goofy things, if he's in a really good mood. He'll occasionally say things like "negatory big bird" instead of no, which has been something he's said since his children were very young.

Mmmmmmmmmm not sure what else to say for now. I'll write more if I think of anything.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a very good possibility... The description is of my dad. He doesn't fit the ISFj description as far as keeping the house tidy... you know, that OCD hoarding thing... but then again, I'm pretty certain that my mom is ISTj and she certainly doesn't do any more tidying than my dad does. Both of them grew up in alcoholic homes and pretty much raised themselves though, so they never really learned how "normal" or healthy households are run.

My mom and dad are very happy together. In raising us, my mom made most of the decisions, at least as far as I could tell. She had a very strict idea of how children should be raised, and because it was based off of the same religion that my dad believes, he didn't have a problem with most of her rules. Sometimes she'd get too harsh and he'd talk to her about it and she'd get upset but wouldn't disagree, but for the most part she was in charge.

Of all of the parent-child relationships in the family, my dad's and mine is the best. I have a lot of good memories of things my dad and I did together, like playing games, fishing, putting one of those huge jigsaw puzzles together, playing catch, etc. I always felt really comfortable hanging out with him and talking with him. While my relationship with my mom is pretty good, it's never been as open or comfortable as my relationship with my dad.

The thing is, I don't see the Se. I do think he's Fi dominant though, and a Ne PoLR makes a lot of sense. A Se PoLR doesn't make a whole lot of sense when I look at him next to other INxjs. I think he just might be another one of these mysterious extreme ethical subtype ISFjs.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a side note, for a while I thought my dad was INFj. I was trying to figure out the type of my first boyfriend, Mike. Mike has always reminded me of my dad, and Peter and Mike are EXTREMELY similar... but Peter and my dad didn't seem like they were all that similar. Because of this, I couldn't decide between IN(F)j and IS(F)j for Mike. I talked to a few people about Mike and tried to figure out his type, and ultimately settled on IS(F)j for him. Peter would be I(S)Fj.

My sister and sister in law are both INFjs, and I can definitely see their Se PoLR. I don't really see any evidence of a Se PoLR in my dad or Mike.
    SEE

Creepy-male

Default Re: type this other description

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    This person may be more difficult to type because he has issues with depression and social anxiety, but I'll try to describe him as objectively as possible. He also believes he suffers from Scrupulosity. I do not know if that last one is type related.

I'm inclined to see him as an IxFx, and his most obvious dichotomy is Negativism.

The thing that stands out most about him to me is the way he holds onto grudges and the negative emotions from events forever. If he's reminded of a situation which made him unhappy at any point in his life, he gets somewhat of an "angry" tone and mentions it as if it happened yesterday. A lot of things that wouldn't bother most people all that much really upset him. It's a bad idea to let him see a movie where some horrible injustice happens to a character because it is all he will remember of the movie, and it will upset him greatly. He may even go off on an "angry" rant and storm out. He will remain upset for hours, and will get upset again if something happens that reminds him of that movie. It's also a bad idea to mention similar irl stories for the same reason. He wishes ill on those who he sees committing these injustices. He tends to label guilty parties and then judges them or those similar to them too harshly later, even in seemingly unrelated circumstances. For example, his brother in law told about something some great injustice at his workplace and community involving Hmong population, and then decades later he'll sneer when someone mentions the Hmong. He warned me against investing in real estate in a specific city because of a higher than average number of its residents are Hmong. When I asked him why that mattered, he got a bit agitated (not at me) and went into the stuff his brother in law had told him. That's just one example... but I don't see him as a particularly racist person. He makes those types of judgments about all kinds of people/organizations/situations. It always happens like that, too... when asked how the past experience he's recounting is relevant (because it's generally not), he's unable to come up with a good reason.

I've never seen him get upset like that about a situation involving anyone he's close to though. He doesn't appear to hold grudges against loved ones. He also recalls happy memories in as much detail as the unhappy ones, and will tell the story about it if something reminds him of it.

He is a very loyal and trustworthy person. He is somewhat paranoid about being used or fooled or taken advantage of though. (For example, he and I bought laptops from Best Buy within the same week, and I had signed up for their reward card because I'd be getting like $120 in the mail in gift certificates and the rewards card only costs $10 or something like that. When I mentioned this, he got upset, thinking he had somehow been duped because nobody had told him about the card when he made his purchase.) When something doesn't work out, he says, "I knew something would screw this up."

He is a kind and good-natured person, overall, but also very reserved. When I was a bartender I talked to a couple people who worked at the same place he does, and they both pretty much said, "Oh yeah, I know him. He helped me out once with something I had a problem with. He really keeps to himself though. He never seems interested in conversing or getting to know people outside of his department. He just wants to get what he came for and go back to the tool room... I mean, he's not rude or anything, just untalkative."

He is pretty risk adverse and dislikes change. He tends to worry a lot, too (such as worrying that the company he works for will go out of business), especially if there's a big decision to be made. For example, he worked at a stressful job where he was underpaid for a long time (seven to ten years maybe?) even though he could have found a job in his field (he's a tool and die maker) that would have paid him more. He had no interest in looking though, and he was unwilling to drive to a different city for work. I think part of the reason that he stayed was because he felt that they'd be kind of screwed without him. It was a small family company (the husband, wife, son, and son in law were the only other employees) owned by people we went to church with, and the husband faced some very serious health issues. Not long after the husbands death he decided it was time to find a new job. I think the son was running the company poorly or something like that. If that job or family is brought up, he gets sorta upset as described above, as if he was ripped off somehow, or disappointed in himself for making a bad decision.

He's the type of person that only has a few friends, but stays friends with them for a very long time. He doesn't see them very often though.

Aside from what I've described above and only around people he's close to, his temperament is generally pretty laid back. He talks happily to people he's close to, such as his family or the three or four people who work in his department. He jokes around and says somewhat goofy things, if he's in a really good mood. He'll occasionally say things like "negatory big bird" instead of no, which has been something he's said since his children were very young.

Mmmmmmmmmm not sure what else to say for now. I'll write more if I think of anything.
    I think this matter is beyond typing.... consider each of the 16 types you've seen? do they act exactly like this? and then consider why you may be interested in his type?

The first part seems like a Choleric description, being obsessed with injustice and easily agitatted.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are all kinds of typing systems we can put people into. Most people don't fit clearly into any one specific type. He is one of those people who has glaring differences from every type. Just like my mom. And just like me.
    SEE

Creepy-male

yea but I think the person you described is so outside of the stereotypical types that labeling them isn't going to give you a sense of the person, and a sensless label is like writting a book for a blind person.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else have anything to add? INFj still isn't totally out of the question, and I'd always welcome other suggestions.
    SEE

Creepy-male

blah well if you really think its worthwhile to label them, I'd say INFx

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I asked my brother if the description fits, and he said, "It doesn't really seem to be just events though, he tends to be very pessimistic and untrusting in every aspect. He's very very reluctant to put his trust into anyone or anything, and will assume the worst in almost every situation." He went on to say that the description focuses too much on that one point in his personality. When I asked if he could think of anything that I may have left out, he said that I didn't mention how he has a mind like an engineer, and his hobbies reflect that. I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that, but it's true that I didn't talk at all about the types of things my dad enjoys doing.

He spends a lot of time on the computer. While he enjoys writing simple programs and has made a website, he isn't by any means a "computer geek" who knows a whole lot about that type of thing. One of his hobbies is building those little cardboard rockets with plastic parachutes and going to a state park where they having "launchings" and watching his and other people's rockets get fired off. He makes stuff sometimes, too. He once made a hover craft. He's a tool and die maker by trade, and a few times he made some little gadget with tools at work or his metal lathe (which hasn't been touched in like a decade). He's also taken sailing lessons. Aside from those things, most of the rest of what he does are actually my mom's hobbies, such as obedience training their poodles, square dancing, and Toast Masters.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else have any type suggestions?
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj is my impression.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an INFj to me too.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In some ways INFj makes the most sense, but like I said, Negativist is his most apparent dichotomy.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could be ISFj too. The "dislikes change" thing doesn't sound very Ne.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.