Thread: INTps who act extroverted, loud, and engaging

Creepy-

Default INTps who act extroverted, loud, and engaging

sdfsd

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew an INTp like that. Well, I didn't know him, but I was often in the same classes with him.

I think the rule about INTps is either they are very quiet or very loud...and annoying. This kid would often say random things out loud in an effort to be funny or amusing, but I think he overdid it at times. I at first thought he was an ENTp trying to get attention, but after knowing a real ENTp and seeing some very INTp traits in the kid, I settled on INTp. For one, he was very sensitive to criticism, and acting extroverted constantly is a very bad thing when you can't take someone criticizing your behavior. When someone (usually of authority) criticized him, he would shut up for a long time. Another thing is that he sometimes had bouts of isolation, where he "wanted to work alone." Lastly, I don't think he could ever hate or even dislike someone, or at least he would never verbalize or act on his opinion. When a group of people would go off on their diatribes about a certain person, he wouldn't contribute anything to the discussion other than some observations about that person, but nothing bad.

I've seen very active people who act like him, but whether they are INTps, I don't know. But I do know that they are all somewhat overweight.

Your INTp friend,

Cone
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the way that I act, if I am really an ENTp I suppose this has some value.

I am sensitive to criticism, but I do not let it bother me normally and I do not care whether the person giving it is in a place of authority or not. I have been known to criticise back to counter-react the criticism or I say something that sounds like a joke, but could also be very very sharp and directed towards that perticular person in a perticular way. I will always have some sort of counter-attack intended to catch that perticular person off guard or in a weak spot so they would quit criticising or pointing out things that I probably should not worry about. I have a bad habit of protecting my feelings even when they are not under attack and the person may even be trying to help me!

I am loud sometimes and I can be very very tactless when talking about sensitive personal sunjects. I talk about my personal self all the time. I have no clue how others feel about that.

Girls generally think I am nice, but some have hit on me sexually or have led me on. Peeves me off.

I do not believe in sarcasm or being arrogant, but some people think I am arrogant because of the way I try to protect myself from getting my feelings hurt by others. I tend to not approach someone unless they have some noticable like-minded interest. I may talk with someone who does not, but the conversation gets boring and stagnant real quick.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The loud, "extraverted" ones also seem to believe they are right, and often debate things on the drop of the hat; they also seem a bit more immature than the general INTp. It's rather bizarre though, for the "loud" INTps I've known have often oscillated between a ranting of some sort and a rather solitary period of brooding over some sort of matter, similar to Cone's observation of his projected INTp acquaintance.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Creepy-joellark

I'm actually energized by, and enjoy being around people, but the following has to be true:
    1. I am not working on something.
    2. They are not trying to change me.
    3. I don't see any negative future effects of my behaviour.

It rarely happens. heh.

If I'm around people I'll never see again, I'm good to extravert. No dealing with the interpersonal "crash" the next day..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I guess the general consensus is that the INTps who are supposedly "extroverted acting" are actually just rather loud and obnoxious, and have little control over themselves and the way that they act even though they are introverts.

Makes sense ... does not make them extroverted, though ... just loud and obnoxious.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true, I have acted out-of-control in front of people before, and I'll never do that again. I knew I was just being obnoxious and loud, and I bet that's what everyone else thought, too. The sad thing, though, is that for the noisy INTps, no one ever tells them to shut up, so they keep on doing it. *wonders if we should throw some ESFjs towards these guys*

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Any examples?
    He almost has that Tom Green kind of obsession with attention, only instead of doing stupid, self-demeaning stunts, he goes around yelling or saying very esoteric, fanatical things. For example, my girlfriend told me one time that he ran up and down a football field during a game, waving a broom with a sign that said, "This is only a broom." He does weird stuff like that, mostly centered around Monty Python-type humor (which believe me, not many people like.)
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This is only a broom."

I laughed.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos
    You can't use the criteria "loud and obnoxious" to determine an introvert acting like an extravert. Hell, ENTJ's ARE LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS

NT's lack social skills compared to all the other temperaments... Hey, all NT's are "scientists" and "knowledge seekers" at heart. They're going to be pretty different in social interactions compared to other people.

Where's the line between I and E? You need good solid criteria mateys! Not criteria that overlaps with the other criteria for S/N, F/T and P/J (especially this one). "Obnoxious" has nothing to do with I/E it's gotta do with being disagreeable. And who's disagreeable? Well T's of course!

Criteria for E is like:

Talks more than listens
    Feels energized after social encounters
    Initiates conversations with others
    etc.

If you don't know somebody's type, start with a solid definition of each scale, delimit criteria according to it, and just "score" the person mentally based on the behavior you will observe during a delimited period of time. Once you've got the scores, you know if he's E or I.

Use ya ya wimps! Are you NT's or what? Think like scientists: intuitive hypothesis - emprical test - intuitive hypothesis - empirical test and NOT intuitive hypothesis - intuitive feeling - intuitive hypothesis - intuitive feeling (the pseudoscience recipe)
    Ohhh brother ... here we go again ...

If you are not "ENTj/INTp" or not fond of the scientific approach ... just do what I do with practicality and take two extreemes with contrasting examples, then move to the similarities.

No method is better than the other, just different methods work for different people.

And not everyone has enough to work in that way. Frankly, I use my and , which does me just fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INTps who act extroverted

Where does the line between an INTp and being an extrovert cross? Can an INTp be engergized through being around people or will it eventually wear them out? Is it possible to tell that someone is an extroverted acting INTp?

I know someone I suspect to be INTp who can seem to be the most extroverted person on the planet, but once you get to know him you realise he likes to spent lots of time alone and will avoid social events if possible. People are really surprised when they learn this. I'm just wondering if this is how an extroverted INTp acts.
    I think I'm an ISTP like that. Actually, for a long time I didn't even really consider being an Introvert. There are a lot of people who would be surprised to find that I am an Introvert because I act very Extraverted around them. Then there are also people who would find me more as an observer and intimidating. I don't know why I do this, it's not that I dislike these people. I think the only way to describe it is that I am a dichtomy. It's not often I will tell someone directly that I don't like them, and when I have done it in the past people have acted surprised. I don't think extraverted acting IxTPs are all obnoxious.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTps can more accurately assess their enviornment and how they appear to others than a INTp can, due to the fact that possess a strong, albeit unconscious, extraverted sensing function.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew

If you are not "ENTj/INTp" or not fond of the scientific approach ... just do what I do with practicality and take two extreemes with contrasting examples, then move to the similarities.
    Ok, just don't count on me to get into your rocket if you plan on going to the moon

j/k
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, just don't count on me to get into your rocket if you plan on going to the moon

j/k
    No, I will just build rocket after rocket and shoot them up until I get one that works right ... once things start to work correctly then I will shoot someone up there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j/k
    No, I will just build rocket after rocket and shoot them up until I get one that works right ... once things start to work correctly then I will shoot someone up there.
    As if NASA isn't spending enough already
    Well, they are all probably ENTps ... I think ENTjs could be involved, but they are probably spending most of their time inventing ways to obtain grant money and not doing any actual work. The ENTps do the actual work, but waste alot of the money the ENTjs all managed to aquire through whatever means. Then the ENTjs start telling them to aquire , and the ENTps tell them to shove it with their and you have this hugh fued over stupid crap.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j/k
    Well, they are all probably ENTps ... I think ENTjs could be involved, but they are probably spending most of their time inventing ways to obtain grant money and not doing any actual work. The ENTps do the actual work, but waste alot of the money the ENTjs all managed to aquire through whatever means. Then the ENTjs start telling them to aquire , and the ENTps tell them to shove it with their and you have this hugh fued over stupid crap.
    Ok, this (my own post) was a useless post. I just wanted to see how far we could nest these quotes. :wink:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone

j/k
    Ok, this (my own post) was a useless post. I just wanted to see how far we could nest these quotes. :wink:
    Ok guys, this reminds me ... let us not to forget to include the INTps next time we have another one of our discussions! They only want to be good friends with people afterall ... it is in their agenda!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay don't beat up on the new kid on the block, but does the determinant of loud/quiet play into whether someone is extraverted/introverted in Socionics' theory? I must admit that I am referencing to MBTI, but E/I has no bearing on being loud quiet. simply how one directs their energy.