View Poll Results: what was his sociotype?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

1 33.33%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

1 33.33%
  • EIE (ENFj)

1 33.33%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

The badass of classical composers. I say estp.

Appearance & Character

Mozart's physical appearance was described by Michael Kelly in his Reminiscences: "... a remarkably small man, very thin and pale, with a profusion of fine, fair hair of which he was rather vain". His early biographer Niemetschek wrote, "there was nothing special about [his] physique. [...] He was small and his countenance, except for his large intense eyes, gave no signs of his genius."

He loved elegant clothing. Kelly remembered him at a rehearsal: "[He] was on the stage with his crimson pelisse and gold-laced cocked hat, giving the time of the music to the orchestra." Based on pictures that researchers were able to find of Mozart, he seemed to wear a white wig for most of his formal occasions – researchers of the Salzburg Mozarteum declared that only 1 of his 14 portraits they had found showed him without his wig.

Of his voice, his wife later wrote that it "was a tenor, rather soft in speaking and delicate in singing, but when anything excited him, or it became necessary to exert it, it was both powerful and energetic".

Mozart usually worked long and hard, finishing compositions at a tremendous pace as deadlines approached.

Mozart lived at the center of the Viennese musical world, and knew a significant number and variety of people: fellow musicians, theatrical performers, fellow Salzburgers, and aristocrats, including some acquaintance with Emperor Joseph II. Solomon considers his three closest friends to have been Gottfried von Jacquin, Count August Hatzfeld, and Sigmund Barisani; others included his older colleague Joseph Haydn, singers Franz Xaver Gerl and Benedikt Schack, and the horn player Joseph Leutgeb. Leutgeb and Mozart carried on a curious kind of friendly mockery, often with Leutgeb as the butt of Mozart's practical jokes.

He enjoyed billiards and dancing and kept pets: a canary, a starling, a dog, and a horse for recreational riding. He had a startling fondness for scatological humour, which is preserved in his surviving letters, notably those written to his cousin Maria Anna Thekla Mozart around 1777–1778, and in his correspondence with his sister and parents. Mozart also wrote scatological music, a series of canons that he sang with his friends.

Quotes:

I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings.

I cannot write poetically, for I am no poet. I cannot make fine artistic phrases that cast light and shadow, for I am no painter. I can neither by signs nor by pantomime express my thoughts and feelings, for I am no dancer; but I can by tones, for I am a musician.

... the passions, whether violent or not, should never be so expressed as to reach the point of causing disgust; and music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music.

Just as people behave to me, so do I behave to them. When I see that a person despises me and treats me with contempt, I can be as proud as any peacock.

If I were obliged to marry all those with whom I have jested, I should have at least two hundred wives.

I am one of those who will go on doing till all doings are at an end.

One must not make oneself cheap here - that is a cardinal point - or else one is done. Whoever is most impertinent has the best chance.

We live in this world in order always to learn industriously and to enlighten each other by means of discussion and to strive vigorously to promote the progress of science and the fine arts.[/indent]

Last edited by silke; 01-06-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: updated links
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

estp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's my favorite, but I always thought INFp or some sort of Fe type?
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember he was typed by many people as ENFp. Why do you think he was ESTp?
    me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    He's my favorite, but I always thought INFp or some sort of Fe type?
    Quote Originally Posted by ENFperator
    I remember he was typed by many people as ENFp. Why do you think he was ESTp?

Oh god, why feeling?? This man had sociopathic tendancies. He would recklessly spend his money partying, which left him and his family in debt. His mother couldn't even have enough money to pay for heat for her furnace, so she eventually got pnemonia and died, though Mozart didn't really care, he just kept on partying. His wine addiction is probably what killed him so young and pennyless. He was also said to be a rather obnoxious person to be around, he knew he was good and wan't shy about bragging about it to people, and he readily cursed and people and drove them away.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think love of hedonism is a lack of feeling. Pleasures of the flesh can be addictive to anyone.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true Oyburger..

But I'd be really happy if Mozart was truly an ESTp =D
    I watched the Amadeus movie on him and you're right... he does seem eccentric and wild and someone I'd like to be around.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    That's true Oyburger..

I watched the Amadeus movie on him and you're right... he does seem eccentric and wild and someone I'd like to be around.
    Neither Tom Hulce (who played Mozart in that film), nor the Mozart character he portrayed, are ESTps. Mozart is portrayed ENFp (or maybe ENXp) in the film Amadeus. But of course that doesn't exclude the possibility that the real Mozart was an ESTp.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    That's true Oyburger..

Neither Tom Hulce (who played Mozart in that film), nor the Mozart character he portrayed, are ESTps. Mozart is portrayed ENFp (or maybe ENXp) in the film Amadeus. But of course that doesn't exclude the possibility that the real Mozart was an ESTp.
    Also that film veered from the reality, as most movies will.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    I don't think love of hedonism is a lack of feeling. Pleasures of the flesh can be addictive to anyone.
    No, but he was pretty confrontational/violent mouth/lack of regard for others, etc... no way was he a feeler. He had trouble with close relationships.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A number of biographers have actually come to the conclusion that Mozart was quite likely a person with high-functioning autism. Of course, there's no way to know for sure, but it would help to partially account for his prodigy years, and his ability to write out a score without errors (most composers need to edit their scores over and over and over again - as a result, their manuscripts look like all Hell; with Mozart, he could just notate what was in his head correctly the first time), as well as his anti-social tendencies.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    A number of biographers have actually come to the conclusion that Mozart was quite likely a person with high-functioning autism. Of course, there's no way to know for sure, but it would help to partially account for his prodigy years, and his ability to write out a score without errors (most composers need to edit their scores over and over and over again - as a result, their manuscripts look like all Hell; with Mozart, he could just notate what was in his head correctly the first time), as well as his anti-social tendencies.
    So, do you have a thought on his type? Agreements? Disagreements?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    So, do you have a thought on his type? Agreements? Disagreements?
    No. I don't think he's typeable.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the standpoint of just his musical output, ESTp seems extremely unlikely. Composers who have been considered to be dominant (possibly Wagner, Puccini, Liszt) create a very clear atmospheric quality. Mozart's music thrives on simplicity of texture (suppression of ) and melodic invention and brilliance (display of ).

Anyhow, his letters don't sound like an ESTp, and the things he struggled with in life were clearly not characteristic of ESTp. An ESTp would have been good with practical realities, knowing which battles to pick, how to get along in the world around him....exactly the things Mozart was bad at.

ENFp was probable, shown in his intuitive portrayal of the characters. ENTp is a possible alternate view, but not as compelling to me. His emotionality focused on taste, balance, very very Delta. I just don't hear it as ...although Keirsey still thinks he was ISFP because he was a composer.

Anyhow, considering all the evidence, ESTp seems way out.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan, can you find some examples of Mozart's letter style?

I'm interested in knowing his type. To tell the truth, I never liked Mozart or any of the pre-romantic composers, but that could be because of the reigning rational style of the times.

I don't think the "light autism" arguments popular around here these days hold water. First of all, this is a fad diagnosis -- an imaginary disorder that is actually very evolutionally viable (a certain percentage of people who are callous to others' feelings would be able to achieve greater success, etc.). I am sure a relatively large percentage of the population (including, most definitely, myself) have some "mild form" of autism that makes us slightly more distant from people than is the norm, or makes us largely unresponsive to group emotions. This kind of "disorder" doesn't "distort" people's behavior so much that their type is unrecognizeable. If we can type people with "hyperactivity," "antisocial behavior," and "abnormal intelligence," we can type people with "mild autism."

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Fair enough," Rick.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Jonathan, can you find some examples of Mozart's letter style?
    http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/lwam110.txt

If we can type people with "hyperactivity," "antisocial behavior," and "abnormal intelligence," we can type people with "mild autism."
    To be honest I think people can still have anti-social disorder, and like baby said, Mozart had qualities of it.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify, the fact that he may have been autistic, is not the reason I don't think Mozart is typeable. I think anyone who was dead so long before Socionics even existed (basically, anyone who no one alive today has ever met) is untypeable. Time obscures and distorts type far more efficiently and totally than any mental disorder. That won't stop anyone from trying (this includes myself), but I don't think we should work under any pretense that the type we arrive at using what we know about historical figures is any indication of what type they actually were.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify, the fact that he may have been autistic, is not the reason I don't think Mozart is typeable. I think anyone who was dead so long before Socionics even existed (basically, anyone who no one alive today has ever met) is untypeable. Time obscures and distorts type far more efficiently and totally than any mental disorder.
    True, but... if there are original letters of his and biographical info from his contemporaries, it can be attempted . At least we're not dealing with someone like Santa Claus or Adam and Eve.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but... if there are original letters of his and biographical info from his contemporaries, it can be attempted .
    Of course -- what matters is the amount and quality of the available information, not the distance in time.

At least we're not dealing with someone like Santa Claus or Adam and Eve.
    ESE, SLI and EIE, respectively.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    True, but... if there are original letters of his and biographical info from his contemporaries, it can be attempted .
    Of course -- what matters is the amount and quality of the available information, not the distance in time.
    What about the letters above?

lmao
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to disagree with you on this one. Santa clearly VI's as a SEI. Was Lucifer a LSI or SLE (suggestive effect on Eve)?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Santa Claus is SEI; I will fight this to the death!
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan
    Santa Claus is SEI; I will fight this to the death!
    I hate to be the one to break it to you Gilligan but you have to learn sometimes... Santa Claus isnt real! *gives Gilligan a tissue* I'm sorry your parents never told you.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noah, on the other hand, was clearly an ILE.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmao. This is hilarious.

PS! I agree with ESE for Santa.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noah? NeFi to the max!

And when's the last time you saw a Rational person trying to climb down a chimney?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan
    Noah? NeFi to the max!

And when's the last time you saw a Rational person trying to climb down a chimney?
    I dunno, he seemed far-fetched to the extreme. I mean -- 1 pair of each species, 7 head of each herbivore, a big boat full of food for an unknown amount of time... and, of course, the characteristic beard (you know he had a beard, right?).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember if anyone considers hidden agendas valid, but by them Eve would have to have been SEI or IEI for the desire of understanding.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Austy

I can't remember if anyone considers hidden agendas valid, but by them Eve would have to have been SEI or IEI for the desire of understanding.
    Consider the context, though. Lucifer was offering her power as a result of the knowledge. That points to a hidden agenda.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Austy

Consider the context, though. Lucifer was offering her power as a result of the knowledge. That points to a hidden agenda.
    Power... Mmmm... Me wanna!
    When I was a child, I thought Eve was almost evil because of the consequences of her actions. At some point I changed my mind and decided that Eve was just being a human. I probably would have eaten the fruit (although the snake was way too suspicious to believe him) and I would have thought that anyone would have eaten it.

Also, at some point I decided that it was unreasonable for God to punish for something like that. If you make people live inside a bubble without any proper entertainment, they will make something stupid sooner or later. And it was totally unreasonable to throw them out of paradise. It's like when your 2-y.o. kid throws an expensive toy on the ground after you specifically told him to be more careful and then you throw the kid out and say it was his fault for not acting as he should have. In hindsight, I suspect the Bible God is ISTp.

Topic: Mozart might have been ESTp, because I find most of his music (which I have heard very little) rather aggressive and strong. It's also chaotic IMO. I've always been more of a Tchaikovsky kind of person.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    Topic: Mozart might have been ESTp, because I find most of his music (which I have heard very little) rather aggressive and strong. It's also chaotic IMO. I've always been more of a Tchaikovsky kind of person.
    Aggressive and strong? Chaotic!? Maybe you should listen some more to Mozart, Kristiina ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aggressive and strong? Chaotic!? Maybe you should listen some more to Mozart, Kristiina ...
    Probably one of the more edgy and aggressive of his TIME.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha. I'll put it on my to-do list. I might be confusing some of Mozart with Beethoven's harsh aggressive music. And I think I have heard some Mozart that was chaotically emotion-packed.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least Mozart's music is one of the most well-structured one can imagine. To call it "chaotic" is clearly misleading.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's best to consider it "structured", but structed in a way to specifically make it seem all over the place (a lot going on at the same time, planned chaos).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Maybe it's best to consider it "structured", but structed in a way to specifically make it seem all over the place (a lot going on at the same time, planned chaos).
    I listened to one thing by Mozart.
    the way you describe it is very good and descriptive of his music. It's lighter than I remembered. And more high-class. For some reason it reminded me of fresh white wine.

Just speculating. Structured chaos makes me think of ENTps. Ti for the structure and xxxp for the chaos. In comparison to him being ESTp, think the music is too light. It's more reminiscent of alpha casual than beta power-hungry. On the other hand, he could be some chaotic j type, someone who can express his emotions in music. That could be either Fi or Fe. INFj/ENFj.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just speculating. Structured chaos makes me think of ENTps. Ti for the structure and xxxp for the chaos. In comparison to him being ESTp, think the music is too light. It's more reminiscent of alpha casual than beta power-hungry.
    Very good, Kristiina! I completely agree, and that's one of the main reasons I have thought that ENTp is a strong possibility for Mozart's type. I have worked quite a lot with a very gifted ENTp composer, and the similarities with him and Mozart are definitely there -- both in their attitude towards music and in the structure of their music. The clarity and exactness in that structure is also a reason for me to think that Mozart could have been an NT type, and the only likely type if that is true is of course the ENTp.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there’s both elements of “structure” and “chaos” in his music… actually, I think “subversion” is a more apt term than “chaos.” Mozart, like every other composer in the Classical period, grew up in an environment of structure. Like Bach, he worked well within the constraints of his contemporary sensibilities. This isn’t to call him a sycophant, though. During an entrance exam into a conservatory, Mozart was asked to do a study in counterpoint, modeled after Palestrina. This was a task he filed to accomplish. He followed all the rules of 16th century counterpoint, but it sounds like Mozart – not Palestrina. There’s a copy out there of the exercise done “correctly.” It’s nowhere near as interesting as Mozart’s innovations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest entp was my second choice, since that and estp are the only two types that make any rational sense, though entp is still a longer shot. The painstakingly precise structure of his work would suggest to me Ti actually, along with his meaness, and his attitude to the world is most definately exxp, with more of an emphasis of Se>Ne.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast