Thread: Video game preferences by type

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    your pc has multiple fans. try speedfan

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    The fan I was talking about is a house fan that I have blowing into the PC with the case removed. I been doing that ever since the built-in fans stopped cutting it but not even this isn't even working anymore. Every component in my PC besides my graphics card is shitty and old so I'm just about to give up on it at this point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

my nick was firstly used for playing Quake multiplayer in 1998
    it was 1:1, serial cable connection. the pal was LII

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    My PC keeps shutting off randomly so I got a new ps4.
    Mb PSU malfunction, also check whether it has enough power. Check does your incandescent lamps change the light during this - mb you have drops of voltage which your PSU can't compensate. Mb something overheats and a protection works. The easiest way is to bring your PC to repair service to check what is there.
    Last edited by Sol; 04-20-2018 at 05:03 PM.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Back when I was like 15, I found about about a game for PS1 by a friend of a friend. Tha game had such cool graphics and features, but I didn't own PS1.

I was never able to remember what the game was called, I tried searching the net some years ago but found nothing. Then like a week ago I searched Google again, and I found this youtube video, which is the game! Armored Core 1, it's called.

It's a FPS mech/robot game with the capacity to upgrade your mech by buying new parts with credits. You get the credits by doing missions, and if you win you get to upgrade your mech and do harder missions. Anyways, the graphics are really cool. That's what stood out to me, that and the feeling of control you seem to have from the "Raven's Nest", where you can buy your upgrades and choose your missions etc.

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I need a game to keep my ADD attention and interest long enough for me to keep a continuous flow, but also a game that isn't too difficult and overwhelming

With people I play very fast paced energetic games. And while alone I play, very very broadly, meaningful games. Games that make me feel and think are best done alone, games that make me enjoy killing are best done with people!

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    The fan I was talking about is a house fan that I have blowing into the PC with the case removed. I been doing that ever since the built-in fans stopped cutting it but not even this isn't even working anymore. Every component in my PC besides my graphics card is shitty and old so I'm just about to give up on it at this point.
    but becoming a console peasant is just

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

since ~2005 computers had mostly same games
    if he likes 30 fps, gamepad, higher games prices and inabbility to play many older games - it's ok

If his hardware needed to upgrade, he'd need ~ $500 for acceptable PC. After video cards prices jump +$100-200. PS4 costs now ~$400 in RF + online $50. Mb it's cheaper where he lives.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm good at games that require speed, crash bandicoot was my favorite as a child. and later as an older child I liked strategic games where I could plan and manage money and attack and construct etc. Now as a 19 year old video games often bore me because I don't see a point in playing, I only play when I'm thinking about something and in addition need to distract my stress forces to not sit and have a mental breakdown

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alas my friend I must descend to the realm of mortals for the time being. Perhaps one day I will buy PC anew and ascend to the master race once more.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing UFO: Enemy Unknown. Resource management and strategic planning in Gamma fashion. The atmosphere and themes of the game is also quite Gamma.

TIM
    not this again
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wooo, I used to play RPGs all the time!

I was brought up on old school RPGs like Realms of Arkania, Dungeon Master II: Skullkeep --watching a 10 years older family friend play them. I just loved getting lost in those open ended fantasy worlds. I was about 10-14 then.

When I got my own computer, I played Daggerfall religiously (second of the Elder Scrolls series from Bethesda). For, dunno, like 10 years? Never finished it, never really felt the need to follow the main quest (and it was buggy as hell so even when I wanted to, there was always something that would prevent me from doing so). Just being there in this vast world and being able to imagine my own life in there felt great. Also finding all these hidden locations and treasures, oh yes. Satisfying.

Naturally, I also played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I did finish the last two but my guess is only because my then-boyfriend insisted on seeing what's next in the game.

Some of the best RPGs I've played are from the indie developer Spiderweb Software --the old Exile series, then Avernum remakes. Fabulous games with great writing and, again, totally open, you can do whatever you like.

Best game I've played, hands down, must be Witcher 3. It's a marvel. Like reading a book, only better because you get to choose what you want to do, where you want to go and when to do it. I was very disappointed though, that after finishing the main quest there was hardly anything to do in the game anymore. Loved the add-ons.

From non-rpgs, I liked to play CIV games with friends, and HoMM 3. HoMM 3 I played on my own too and enjoyed it for many years. Its various clones too, somehow Clash stood out to me (an old Polish game, I wonder if anyone knows it). I like to play Banished from time to time now, a simple game that has a bit too little to offer but somehow it draws me in for hours at a time. Oh, and Minecraft, whatever genre it is, is gold. I enjoy building the home and exploring the world and collecting the animals most of all.
    At this again.
    9w1 sx/so
    Cancer Sun, Mercury and Mars, Virgo Ascendant and Moon, Taurus Venus. Fortunately spiced up with Uranus on IC.

TIM
    EII 4w5 Sx/So
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really play videogames honestly
    but um i have played some on DS
    I very much liked Phoenix Wright and somewhat Professor Layton as well

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've mostly been into RTS games like Broodwar and Starcraft 2 for as long as I can remember in terms of playing competitively multiplayer wise. I flirted with FPS games, but for the most part I was not fond of them, but I enjoy a good sci-fi FPS game like the Halo series mostly for the single player and story. Lately, I've been into RPG games like the Fallout series and starting to prefer them more than RTS and FPS games, I just finished Fallout 4 and 3 and found them both fun to play for different reasons and I plan to play New Vegas soon. I find as I'm older, highly competitive multiplayer games are starting to bore me, but single player story driven games are more immersive and fun personally.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grew up with some popular and obscure nintendo titles, like Pokemon. Then I began to take interest in mmorpgs like Wizard101 and Fusionfall. The idea of being able to interact with people in a different world and accomplish goals together was still a bit of a novel experience at the time, and I thoroughly enjoyed what imagination it spurred in me with it’s storylines. Eventually I hit Dota 2 and started my competitive phase where I learned the game pretty quickly and neglected going outside a lot just to play matches. I then randomly discovered World of Warcraft in the middle of this, and similar scenario happened here except with a lot more love due to combining both competition and a magical world to explore. Now that I’m almost in my 20s, I’ve calmed down a lot more but still find multiplayer aspect of games much more entertaining than singleplayer, in the part where two experiences are never alike (which actually feels bittersweet at times—oh nostalgia.)
    Death is the engine of Earth

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESI-Fi. when i was a kid i played just about everything; altered beast, sonic the hedgehog, mystic defender, sword of sodan, and revenge of shinobi (but i always loved cute games) were among the earliest games i played which were on my older brother's sega genesis. more recently, devil may cry 5, bloodstained ritual of the night, and onrush, and some older games both that i've played before and that which i haven't. i was just recently playing aero the acrobat 2 and rayman 3 for the millionth times each since like when they came out, i dl'd some patch or enhancement, i think it was called better rayman 3. always thought the bonus levels were beautiful, with all the space, vibrant colors, and good music.

i was never really good at vid games, but i loved many of them soooooo much!
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles View Post
    If you play video/computer games, post your type and which genres you most enjoy.

I'm an INTJ, and I enjoy RTS (real-time strategy), tycoon (like sim-city), racing games, and FPS (first person shooters).

I'm particularly curious to see how many xSxx types enjoy RTS and tycoon games.

may be 15 years late but better late than never. I enjoy RTS since childhood. Currently Ive got installed: age of empires 2 and 3, and supreme commander forged alliance. seems unlikely that 1d Se would like something as fast as racing games and FPSs but yea.

other genres I like are MOBA and also FPS; such as overwatch, battlefield, COD (in the past)

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPGs are the thing for Me, tapping into a great and spacious arena, having free will to play with powers and spells, navigating a quest marker to enhance a global image/vision of glory and dominance over the arcade, leveling up, training powers, defeating huge mega bosses, and securing victory and freedom for the land, then turning into the temple plaza builder of the future.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite video game these days is 'MLB The Show 21' for X Box. I always play as the Mid Century Ground Breakers, and I love to put them at the Polo Grounds - a stadium with a 483 foot center field. I have beat the game on veteran level, but I often play on rookie level with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig on my lineup card. I have even pitched a perfect game with Bob Gibson on the mound. I also like to play with the Expansion Era team with Willie Stargell at first base in the Polo Grounds as well. The nostalgia aspect, how real the game looks and feels - it almost looks like a real baseball game is being played. This is by far my favourite video game...
    Last edited by jason_m; 05-07-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: I am even more into the RBI Baseball series these days - as Ne, I just find the gameplay that much more fast-paced and intuitive. It has more of an arcade style of play that I find much more interesting. I don't bother with the old teams (unless they are from the 90s). I usually play as the Blue Jays or the Red Sox and it is a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another one I recommend is Madden NFL 19. You must play on at least all-pro level to get the full experience...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leisure suit Larry games ❤

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play mostly FPS games. My favorite maps are the small ones like the shipment maps in COD where I can run around like a chicken with my head cut off spraying bullets from my smg. The more chaotic the game the better. I do not have the attention span to sit around and camp in the larger maps.

I get annoyed by players who don’t play the objective because they’re too worried about messing up their KD ratio. Maybe it’s because I’m a casual player, or maybe it’s because I’m Te-polr—I never check or care about my stats.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile musical games that require quick reflexes
    e.g. Geometry Dash, rhythm games (I'm very good at those haha)

I don't play many PC games anymore, but I enjoy Overwatch because I feel a sense of connection to the 2 heroes I play and the beautiful world they designed. It's too bad the game isn't very popular anymore! I've thought about it for a bit, and I think other FPS have never appealed to me because:
    1. they tend to be visually unappealing
    2. i don't feel any connection to the characters
    3. or to the world it's set in

I only find player Support class characters fun. DPS is too straightforward and boring. Tank is okay but I'd rather stay on the sidelines than lead the fight. Support is more nuanced and I enjoy having a good sense of the big picture of the fight, which is only possible when playing support. I also like observing my teammates' gameplay and controlling the fight by choosing when to enable who.

Otherwise, games that require coordination, finesse, quick-thinking, and competition (with myself, e.g. my own stats) appeal to me the most.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A game must fill four conditions to catch my interest :

1) Be a solo game (I can't stand dealing with teenagers online)
    2) Be playable with a controller
    3) Be a reflex-heavy game, but not exceedingly, as it becomes exhausting (run and gun games are a good example of exhausting stuff)
    4) It should not require too much thinking. Sadly most action games require to think if you want to be a perfectionist.

I'm not so far from the poster above actually.
    Last edited by BaruchJorgell; 06-08-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games wrap up the mind and spirit in a mist of blaze and fine aspects of visual explosion to aesthetically touch and spray the yarn of stretching freelance roaming to enjoy well captured golden moments frozen in holographic exorcise.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    itsp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to play counter-strike a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    I understand by facts that telepathy exists. At now I experiment with future guessing.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like action rpgs with adjustable difficulty settings, generous checkpoints and lots of cutscenes

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love FPS and competitive online games like call of duty, overwatch, destiny, etc.

actually pretty much what chocolatte said.

TIM
    EII-Fi
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love story-focused RPGs like the Life is Strange series, the Dragon Age series, the Witcher... I remember fondly Undertale, too. Shooters are boring to me.
    EII-Fi
    2w3 sx/so
    tritype: 2-6-9

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like strategy/grand strategy: Civ, Paradox games (Imperator:Rome is my favorite game, I think) and games like Factorio or Mindustry that involve logistics management. Sometimes I’ll play shooters with people I know IRL, but I tend not to find them so fun by myself.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, I may be an LSI-Ti. I don't like strategy games, they're my least favorite, I'm not good with anything having to do with strategy, long term thinking; Metroidvania games really didn't require long term/focused linear thinking, you build on what you acquire and have to solve just a few puzzles. I generally like open-ended games and beautiful looking games, especially platformers, action adventures. Some linear games like Nights into Dreams or Beat-em-ups were awesome and exciting.

Racing games can be good and a pain in my ass. First person shooters the same, although things like Metroid Prime less a pain in my ass and more enjoyable. Games like 7th guest and myst (3DO version on Panasonic FZ-10 3DO my favorite version) pain in my ass and enjoyable.

Almost all that I did when I was young was play vid games, compared to 1991-2005, over the last 5 years I've played less than 1/6 as many hours.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    Back when I was like 15, I found about about a game for PS1 by a friend of a friend. Tha game had such cool graphics and features, but I didn't own PS1.

I was never able to remember what the game was called, I tried searching the net some years ago but found nothing. Then like a week ago I searched Google again, and I found this youtube video, which is the game! Armored Core 1, it's called.

It's a FPS mech/robot game with the capacity to upgrade your mech by buying new parts with credits. You get the credits by doing missions, and if you win you get to upgrade your mech and do harder missions. Anyways, the graphics are really cool. That's what stood out to me, that and the feeling of control you seem to have from the "Raven's Nest", where you can buy your upgrades and choose your missions etc.
    That's a Third-Person Shooter, not a First-Person Shooter.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any games do the trick, so as particular sports such as Football Manager/PES/FIFA/F1/MotoGP/Need For Speed/New Star Games/Track Mania.
    Enjoyed Call of Duty for a very long while since the 1st edition until the World At War Series, also Condition Zero and Counter-Strike.
    But apparently, those end up being a tad boring to say the least.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post

The player didn't show their face in FPS.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    SEI 4w5 so/sx EFVL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im SEI-C. i mostly play sandbox games, games that have plenty of mods, gacha, and cute or calming games

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im still looking for my type but i might be beta NF. Ill figure it out someday.

I dont like story games like witcher etc, it feels like suffering to me, plus- i dont play games for story, if i need that i will read a book. But, a game like skyrim could keep me in its free world, until it bores me.
    I like rpgs in general minus above. But still, lets say we started to play wow together. I will change characters every other day, thats how i am in general. Changing characters stuff is my curse, i do that in every game. I play lol with friends and i change chars a lot, lanes a lot. If i have to be honest, none of my friends would start to a game with me alone as they know how i am. My ability to convince them is another thing, i might convince them to play.

I play games that has competition eventho i say i dont like competition. But its most likely that i dont like myself when i become competitive as heat of ambition makes people say not wanted stuff and act rudely sometimes. Tho im not sure about my reason deep inside.
    Also, i like path of exile, until grind bores me out

Honest edit. I do make people start a game sometimes etc. Most of the time, im the one who quits first, i get bored easily and if it starts to feel like its a job, i wont stay long

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer playing RPGs, but I'm not against anything that gives me a challenge. Morrowind and Dark Souls are my favorites.

Lately, I've been getting into Hearthstone.

List of my favorites:
    Morrowind
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls 3
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate
    Hearthstone
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Honorable mentions: Monster Hunter: Rise, Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory and Dead Cells
    Last edited by ILoveChinchillas; 05-18-2022 at 09:54 AM.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Street Fighter II is probably on the top of my list. I was (without false modesty) very good at it . I played with Ken as my main.
    I like fighting games, Action adventure games, and some J-RPGs . I don't like FPS because I feel like it's imprecise for some reason. I have great difficulties to incarnate a character of whom I don't see the body. I have the impression that having an aversion for FPS could be a type thing (sorry if the question has already been raised in this thread, i confess that I didn't read it yet)*.

I really enjoy to play with someone. Back in the days, people around me were all into PES, I enjoyed it too and I played it a lot because they knew only this game. I really enjoyed those moments of conviviality. I am happy when people around are happy and having a good time.

P.S. Music of course has a major influence on my appreciation of a game.

Edit : Quick read of the thread, there are some good points in and there. Although I take The Form of Cognition with a grain of salt, I'm nonetheless seduced by the Idea of correlating our video game preferences with our form of cognition in addition to our type. I admit that the endeavour is quit ambitious and difficult.

* Nope ! This question has not been raised.
    Last edited by godslave; 05-18-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ones that sticks with me:

And this was like core version of league of legends and similar like games, since it was 1 vs 1, I never lost a game unlike lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I noticed about some type:

SEI/SEE/SLI/SLE - Fifa, GTA, CoD, Gran Turismo (SLI/SLE also Soulsborne and hack&slash in general)

ILE - All ILEs I know play phone games more (like Heartstone, Yugioh)

EII - all of my EII friends play RPGs or action RPGs (Final Fantasy/Kingdom hearts/ Fallout/oblivion/darkest dungeon etc.) and Fighting Games (Tekken). One of them also Soulsborne but more for its vibe rather than gameplay.

IEE - Me and my friends play a lot of different genres. Platform (mario/crash bandicoot/cuphead etc.), fighting games, rpgs, soulsborne, metroidvania and a lot of hack and slash (like DMC). Also, we search for absurd games forgotten by God.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE/LSI/IEI 3 guys of these types I know absolutely love anything Dark Souls and think it's the greatest game ever.

My ILE roommate loves competitive online games, shooters, sports games and bashes me for playing single player games.

I love Action RPGs, I used to love kingdom hearts until the last one came out , Smash Bros, and Flashy Hack n Slashes with tons of combos (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden). I don't like FPS because I can't see the character, and I love seeing the cool character I get to control, it feels like a whole feature is lost. I usually only like playing them with my friends and mostly suck at aiming. Recently got into roguelikes.

My SEI cousin LOVES long story driven cinematic 1 player games like Witcher 3, Persona 4, Latest Spiderman.

An LII I play Dungeons and Dragons Online with a group of friends with mostly just likes the puzzles in the dungeons.

Another LII I know is super competitive at Smash bros.

My LSE roomate plays DBZ legends ad Call of Duty on his phone

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast