Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Video game preferences by type

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Since I wrote a long post and didn't include my sigline, I'm assuming I'm one of these people you're referring to.

Basically, after 2800 posts and 3 years, most people who even bother to read a post of mine already know that I list my type as NeFi.
    Sorry.
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is somethign I have thought about in the past. I think delta ST-s would be drawn to games where optimization is the central element. Things like civilization, various tycoons and so on. At least I am. Actually I found a name for it in wikipedia: Construction and management simulation games. I only play games that have an element of that in them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Me - not a fan of videogames. I like Mah Jong, chess, anagrams, scrable, basically i heart all sorts of word-puzzles.
    Do you really play that? Its not well known at all I suppose. But I would think that game is much trickier than Chess since a lot of ganging on somebody happens, more so than card games like Texas hold em poker, much more involving when you talk about cheating with other players.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like games like Heroes of might and magic (III), age of wonders 2 and DotA. I was a huge fan of WoW but, well, I ged tired of leveling up a character(alone) without friends to play.

BTW, apparently nobody made a mention(I'm sorry, I didnt read all the threads) of RPG's games like Dungeons and Dragons (fourth edition), you know, the one it use dices for playing?. I play and enjoy games like that.
    Last edited by normal; 06-30-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    Do you really play that? Its not well known at all I suppose. But I would think that game is much trickier than Chess since a lot of ganging on somebody happens, more so than card games like Texas hold em poker, much more involving when you talk about cheating with other players.
    You might be thinking about the traditional version, and tuturututu might be talking about the solitaire version that many people play on computers. It took me watching 3 or 4 movies from China to realize there was a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like a wide range of games.

I love adventure/puzzle/story driven style games -- Myst, Riven, Exile, The Secret of Monkey Island, and the like. Immersive ones are outstanding.
    I like some Sim games, mainly the SimCity series, Spore is pretty cool, Civ III and Civ IV
    I really like card games, particularly poker
    I've always had a thing for racing games like Gran Turismo and Burnout.
    Yes, I played MMOs, more influenced by the fact that I had roommates who were huge on it so I decided to join along with them.
    I dabbled a bit in FPSs like Counter Strike and Rogue Spear. They more were fun when I'd go to LAN parties with my friends.
    I like RTSs like Starcraft and Total Annihilation, but again it was more fun to have people to play with at a LAN party or whatever.
    I was a huge Street Fighter II fan back in the day.
    I've always liked board games but I never really had a consistent group of people to play board games with.

The thing I think that ties them all together are basically that I like games that make me think, make me think tactically or strategically and challenges me. And ones that give me a good laugh every once in a while, or funny in a really witty/intelligent way.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    I actually bought a strategy book many years ago on the traditional form of Mahjong. It's an interesting game for sure.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type Based on Game Playing

Why not.

You people will type anything based on nothing anyway, so why not go 100% trivial.

Caveats:
    Games lifted from my records on Steam
    Anything less than 24 hours ignored.
    May or may not be representative of time I actually spend playing games.
    No idea when Steam started recording these stats.

Sid Meier's Civilization V - 497 hrs
    Football Manager 2014 - 236 hrs
    Crusader Kings II - 127 hrs
    Europa Universalis III - 106 hrs
    Europa Universalis IV - 103 hrs
    Endless Space - 93 hrs
    EVE Online - 90 hrs
    Mass Effect 2 - 78 hrs
    Fallout: New Vegas - 65 hrs
    Empire: Total War - 62 hrs
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 55 hrs
    Terraria - 53 hrs
    Star Trek Online - 49 hrs
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown - 55 hrs
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 44 hrs
    Shadowrun Returns - 41 hrs
    Mass Effect - 39 hrs
    Dragon Age II - 35 hrs
    Space Engineers - 35 hrs
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - 26 hrs
    Total War: Rome II - 25 hrs
    Kerbal Space Program - 24 hrs

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

never played video games in my whole life, only watched movies and stuff, so I guess I'm BWM Enneagram 10.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stnline was a complete disappointment.

Creepy-male

EIE

Genres: Action RPGs, First Person Shooters, Stealth, Platformers

Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls II
    Super Metroid
    Chrono Trigger
    The Legend of Zelda series
    Metal Gear Solid series
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Shadowrun
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Doom series

God, I'm a nerd...<sob>
    Last edited by male; 11-23-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played lots of games mostly shooter, stealth, simulation and RPGs with 3rd person shooter as favourite genre.

In descending order of preference:

- Diablo all series with the Hellfire being the favourite one of the series
    - Quake all series but 4 being the favourite one
    - Silent Hill: the origins
    - Nox
    - Metal Gear Solid: OV for PC
    - Rainbow Six
    - Medal of Honor : OV
    - Gran Turismo 2 for PC
    - Age of Empires: the age of kings

+ chess

lol, list goes on (:
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never really been into video games much, myself.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like minesweeper and tetris. Other than that I like making avatars on friends' Wiis.

IEI

worms I and II, anything with 8-bit vintage covers

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI and all I seem to play anymore is Dota 2 and The Binding of Isaac. It's hard for games to really hold my attention, but Dota is somehow addicting even though the community is awful.

I do love the Bioshock series, though, and I played a ton of Kirby, Zelda and Resident Evil when I was young. My favorite game is probably Majora's Mask. Oh I also played Hotline Miami recently and really enjoyed it!

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've never been one for FPS games as they tended to give me headaches and were often too difficult or too stressful - Metal Gear Solid being one exception (I also liked Castle Wolfenstein). It is possible that more recent games wouldn't be so bad for me.

I really don't like games being difficult...I am far more likely to enjoy level-grinding in RPGs with some engrossing plot or something like Journey...or flatly cheating so I can do things at my own leisure (usually this is in games with no distinctive characters or games I have previously beaten properly). Adventure games where you basically can't die are appealing. Age of Empires was good! ...and other strategy games like that, for example Total War stuff and other games where you can tinker with nations (I've never gotten into Civilization though...Sim City was addictive but empty). Also, with sports games...basically only FIFA series (the good ones), Formula 1...Championship Manager/Football Manager (a game which is so pointless, but perhaps one day I will discover religion).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the day when I played tons of video games:

RPG- Final fantasy, Zelda 64, Pokemon, Lunar

Action- Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil

Strategy- Starcraft

First person shooter- Golden eye 64, Counter-strike

Fighting- Mortal Kombat, Super smash brothers

Racing- Mario cart

Sports- NBA2k

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SFs and esp Gammas SFs I know love a bit of FIFA.

I don't really like video games except for maybe Sims or Age of Mythology/Empires. Maybe that's an LII thing, cos it's all like "we've taken the real world but put an artificial system in it so there are explicit rules you can understand!"
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which type plays guitar hero instead of learning to play a real guitar?

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Which type plays guitar hero instead of learning to play a real guitar?
    me too.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole American music game community is dominated by Ne/Si irrationals. All of the top players off the top of my head are SLI, ILE and SEI. A small smattering of the other Ne types, maybe an SLE and an ILI or two rounds it out. But it's primarily alpha, even all the way up to the high competitive levels.

The top rhythm gamer in the world is some ISXp, not sure which.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all i play anymore is indie platformers and point-and-click / adventure games.

i used to play survival horror and other third person shooters + fighting games + RPGs + strategy games a lot, but all that is too intense for me now or something.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

The only game worth mentioning for me : Heroes of Might and Magic.
    I tested all the versions and spent a lot of sleepless nights.
    I played a lot of others but somehow this one stays my favorite.

PS I have a little soft spot for Packman...

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE-Ni, e6

-RTS, though I suck at them
    -8-bit side-scrolling platformers
    -RPGs

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent thread. I must say its a bit disturbing the lack of talent in this organisation as of late.

I'm SLI and I like:

RPGs (VtM:Bloodlines, KotOR)
    RTS, even though I'm woefully bad at macro (SC2)
    Grand Strategy (Paradox Games, fused with history)
    Simulation (IL2 Sturmovik)

Ones which I typically don't enjoy.

FPS
    Stealth
    Sports

Bit of Ne seeking and strategic dichotomies at play here me thinks. Wish I was ILI, I feel handicapped as SLI.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't play much of video games. When I do, I am attracted to ones where I can roleplay, such as Sims, Harvest Moon, Skyrim.

I have too difficult a time with games that require planning, or quick reflexes, or have a horror bent. I have problems with skyrim for these reasons, so I wind up playing characters with super high stealth and ranged weapons so I don't feel rushed and panicked. I don't like the adrenalin spikes these games give me.

I used to like the dating sim type games. But i always stopped playing before having to finally settle on one person.

I like playing dance rhythm games, but i haven't been able to play them in ages, and I wasn't that good. Still, they were fun.

Mostly, when I want to relax with a game, I play simple logic type games. It helps distract the analytical part of my mind, allowing the rest of me a few moments of relief.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    all i play anymore is indie platformers and point-and-click / adventure games.

i used to play survival horror and other third person shooters + fighting games + RPGs + strategy games a lot, but all that is too intense for me now or something.
    Play 1001 Spikes.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I don't play much of video games. When I do, I am attracted to ones where I can roleplay, such as Sims, Harvest Moon, Skyrim.

I have too difficult a time with games that require planning, or quick reflexes, or have a horror bent. I have problems with skyrim for these reasons, so I wind up playing characters with super high stealth and ranged weapons so I don't feel rushed and panicked. I don't like the adrenalin spikes these games give me.

I used to like the dating sim type games. But i always stopped playing before having to finally settle on one person.

I like playing dance rhythm games, but i haven't been able to play them in ages, and I wasn't that good. Still, they were fun.

Mostly, when I want to relax with a game, I play simple logic type games. It helps distract the analytical part of my mind, allowing the rest of me a few moments of relief.
    You might like Animal Crossing. I wonder if AC is a Delta (perhaps Alpha) oriented game?

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I've never been one for FPS games as they tended to give me headaches and were often too difficult or too stressful - Metal Gear Solid being one exception (I also liked Castle Wolfenstein). It is possible that more recent games wouldn't be so bad for me.

I really don't like games being difficult...I am far more likely to enjoy level-grinding in RPGs with some engrossing plot or something like Journey...or flatly cheating so I can do things at my own leisure (usually this is in games with no distinctive characters or games I have previously beaten properly). Adventure games where you basically can't die are appealing. Age of Empires was good! ...and other strategy games like that, for example Total War stuff and other games where you can tinker with nations (I've never gotten into Civilization though...Sim City was addictive but empty). Also, with sports games...basically only FIFA series (the good ones), Formula 1...Championship Manager/Football Manager (a game which is so pointless, but perhaps one day I will discover religion).
    You might enjoy the Stanley Parable.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    You might like Animal Crossing. I wonder if AC is a Delta (perhaps Alpha) oriented game?
    When we first got our copies, my daughter took mine and gave it to her friend. Maybe I'll see if I can find another copy for a regular ds.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE here, and I love games that allow for colorful exploration with a little structure (rewards system, treasure chests, etc). I have to be careful about MMORPGs because they're a little too addicting for me. I love to be around people, and sometimes the friendships & desire to work as part of a team can keep me online and distracted from the real world. I try to limit myself to single player games now, but I really love MMOs.

Some of my all time favorite games include:

-Zelda: Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time
    -Kingdom Hearts
    -Journey
    -Final Fantasy II and VI (the opera scene <3)
    -World of Warcraft
    -Destiny
    -Ni No Kuni
    -Beyond Good and Evil
    -All the mariokarts and mario parties
    -Mario 64
    -Shadows of the Colossus
    -Metroid Prime
    -Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
    -Commander Keen
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    You might enjoy the Stanley Parable.
    Yes, looks interesting, thanks!

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefered always strategy and RPG

All time favorites are Warcraft 3 and Baldursgate 2

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm LSE and don't play many video games. My favorite though is Harvest Moon. In fact, I'm going to go play it right now!
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

rpg,strategy(not real-time),fps(although I'm not very good)

I don't like the trend of indie games, especially the 2-D ones, this feels like a regression and a way to let people make bad games and still get people to play them.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm LSE-Si. I haven't put much thought into favorite games (thought I might later), but some I have enjoyed in the past are:

Sim City 2000
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Medieval Sims
    Nethack
    Stone Soup
    Battle for Wesnoth
    Mario Smash Bros
    Tetris
    Mardek (Mardek 2 especially)
    Escape Velocity
    Odyssey: the Legend of Nemesis
    Freecol
    CiVilization
    Gizmos & Gadgets
    Logical Journey of the Zoombinis
    Oracle of Seasons (introduced to by poli)
    Dark Cloud 2 (introduced to by poli)
    ...and when I was a kid I really liked a game demo where I could play as a great white shark (or something weaker) and swim around eating other fish (and not getting eaten because I'm a shark)

Polikujm, EII-Ne, likes magical or atmospheric exploration games. His favorites are:

A Link to the Past
    Majora's Mask
    Banjo Tooie
    Oracle of Seasons
    World of Warcraft
    Ocarina of Time
    Heavy Rain
    Silent Hill 2
    Monkey Island
    The Longest Journey
    a lot of different PC Adventure games
    Minecraft
    Warcraft 3 custom maps
    Last edited by DirectorAbbie; 12-01-2014 at 06:43 AM.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII. I've been getting really into "walking simulators". I like sandboxy games with some kind of emotive or strong aesthetic component.

Proteus has all the components of an ideal game, but it's too precious and a bit too limited to just get in and play except when I want or need it.

I could really love dating sims and romantic stories but I really feel uncomfortable indulging in them because I don'tlike their role in a broader social context.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, after buying a used version of the new animal crossing, I realized what i hadn't liked about it when i first tried it a few years ago...it's very enneagram so instinct oriented.

And that helped me realize why I never seem to get far in harvest moon before quitting. I like the farm simulating aspect, and the dating aspect, but not having to build up so relationships with the entire town.

I think i just want a decent survival game that isn't about zombies and such. There's a couple coming out next year for ps4. So looks like I'll be waiting.

--- @Director Abbie I loved the zoombinis when my dauhter was younger. When we upgraded our computer I couldn't get the games like that to play anymore. We were sooo sad.

The Longest Journey, R & I went through that one together. But didn't get to finish it.
    But it reminded me of Syberia...I think that's the name. I will have to look for other games like that, thanks for the reminder.

--- @Holon What do you mean by walking simulators? Like the ones that produce a scenery while you walk in place?

I wanted to say that i understand about the dating sims thing.
    Last edited by anndelise; 12-01-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast