Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are SLIs supposed to be risk takers.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are SLIs supposed to be risk takers.

I never understood the risk taking element with ISTPs I think SLIs are more into safe sensations than risky ones. Although I do like rollar coasters I find the risk takers to be SLEs.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Risk taking is often associated with Ne. You have to be aware of risks and why you are taking them. It can be a leap of faith into the unknown, or uncertainty. So risk can (must !) be evaluated. Now, Si doms think a lot about security and safety unlike E-Ps who have a tendency to impulsivity. In general SLI will not risk anything, they have to master what they are doing, be aware of stuff that could go wrong. So in a new situation the first think they'll think about is safety and security. They are very good in emergency situations (like all Ips). There is an aspect of Si dom that is not talked about that often, it's the status awareness of objects not only their own body but also others bodies, biological entities and object (if blocked with Te) or emotional state (if blocked with Fe).

As a reminder some definitions (Gulenko) :

Si+ Sensation of Comfort : Adjusting the environment to make yourself (and/or others) as comfortable as you can. Make your territory autonomous. (SLI) ((little spoiler) BIll from the Last of Us is SLI imho)

Si- Sensation of Discomfort : Treatments of malady or resolution of everyday discomfort (SEI). [I find this def. quite superficial]

So there is this notion that I call status/ data acquisition - (diagnosis) - Status/restoration i.e. knowing the natural state of things and being able to restore (or repair) them to their original (healthy) state.

With that said, the human brain is fully mature around age 24. Before that anthropological brain maturity, the will to take risks is higher (natural drive to experience life due to various factors (hormones etc..)) and that's obviously true for everyone even if some temperaments are more risk takers than others.

TIM
    SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I may use myself as an example, I think this kind of risk taking comes from the idea that I'd rather experience everything at least once. Once I have a catalogue of various meaningful experiences with different things, I can more safely determine which of those make me feel the most comfortable.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who said that? Not Jung. Risk taking is more Se and Ne. Read the descriptions.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't take unnecessary risks even if it may look like that for some when I'm driving. It's all about the known vs. the unknown and having the possibility to affect the outcome and buy time to act.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally introverts have a negative relation to the object. Ne inferior can have problems with possibilities, they can be afraid of what might happen etc. A vague feeling of dangers out there. I don't understand why anybody would see SLI as risktakers when there are so many extraverts who are more into that.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Generally introverts have a negative relation to the object. Ne inferior can have problems with possibilities, they can be afraid of what might happen etc. A vague feeling of dangers out there. I don't understand why anybody would see SLI as risktakers when there are so many extraverts who are more into that.
    That's true, but SLIs with a more developed Ne can take joy in taking small risks to shake up their routines. Again though, not what I'd define exactly as being a risk taker, but it is something that can happen. I remember trying out new sensations when I was younger and thinking I was the biggest badass in the world, only to realize later on that most of these were small potatoes.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

physical risks are more of a Ni/Se valuing activity. especially irrationals.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Wind Vane View Post
    That's true, but SLIs with a more developed Ne can take joy in taking small risks to shake up their routines. Again though, not what I'd define exactly as being a risk taker, but it is something that can happen. I remember trying out new sensations when I was younger and thinking I was the biggest badass in the world, only to realize later on that most of these were small potatoes.
    Right, but that doesn't make SLI a risktaking type, because other types are more risktaking. SLIs and risktaking is probably some MBTI misconception. Introverts will typically try to control things so that they don't get overwhelmed by the external world. If an introvert wants to date he will likely go slow and think about how to make a dating profile etc. At the same time a typical extravert will already have like 2 partners.

I think it can be difficult to become aware of this, like you said. People also play roles and compensate. I always hesitate about external things, while I am very accepting and comfortable with my internal world of sensations.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A risk - lesser determined situation.
    From general view most risky should be base N. The ones who may do gambling more often, for example.

The other factor is higher assurance in strong functions. In such regions people do more of new and difficult, what may be thought as risky. Especially such impression can be for those who has those regions as weak.

P - also predisposes to lesser prepared and hence more risky choices.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs and risktaking is probably some MBTI misconception.
    MBTI didn't mention such things , quite the contrary, it says that Si doms' inferior Ne prevents them from taking risks and trying unfamiliar things
    Souls know their way back home

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes of course
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLI-Si 6w7 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs are by far a very cautious type but one that desperately craves new experiences, which can lead to risk taking but certainly not something they do often. I feel that an SLI will definitely need to be convinced of an extremely high chance of success in any risky adventure before being willing to do it.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I remember my ex who was thrilled to ride motorcycle and got into a few crashes
    That’s always a risky or risky behavior
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    MBTI didn't mention such things , quite the contrary, it says that Si doms' inferior Ne prevents them from taking risks and trying unfamiliar things
    There seems to be quite a lot of it online if you google ISTP and risk. I dont know if it is official or just rumors.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Se risking and Ne risking is different. Ne more like new business ideas, research ideas, investment… Se would be relate to conflicting, physical activity (like sport), exploring (physical place).

SLI would be more confident with Se risking. (3D)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    Risk taking is often associated with Ne. You have to be aware of risks and why you are taking them. It can be a leap of faith into the unknown, or uncertainty. So risk can (must !) be evaluated. Now, Si doms think a lot about security and safety unlike E-Ps who have a tendency to impulsivity. In general SLI will not risk anything, they have to master what they are doing, be aware of stuff that could go wrong. So in a new situation the first think they'll think about is safety and security. They are very good in emergency situations (like all Ips). There is an aspect of Si dom that is not talked about that often, it's the status awareness of objects not only their own body but also others bodies, biological entities and object (if blocked with Te) or emotional state (if blocked with Fe).

Si+ Sensation of Comfort : Adjusting the environment to make yourself (and/or others) as comfortable as you can. Make your territory autonomous. (SLI) ((little spoiler) BIll from the Last of Us is SLI imho)

Si- Sensation of Discomfort : Treatments of malady or resolution of everyday discomfort (SEI). [I find this def. quite superficial]

So there is this notion that I call status/ data acquisition - (diagnosis) - Status/restoration i.e. knowing the natural state of things and being able to restore (or repair) them to their original (healthy) state.

With that said, the human brain is fully mature around age 24. Before that anthropological brain maturity, the will to take risks is higher (natural drive to experience life due to various factors (hormones etc..)) and that's obviously true for everyone even if some temperaments are more risk takers than others.
    Well, risk taking in terms of sensation seeking is not really Ne. It could be something like studying dead end field so that there is no life support in sight or making a career writing books about anarchism or becoming a professional socionis or taking a problem to solve that you have previous experience. Those are high risk ventures. It really is - when you can loose life support.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem with Gulenko is that he mixes Si base / Se ignoring. They appear together, but one has to keep them separate because they are not the same thing. For example "make your territory autonomous" is hardly Si, but pure Se ignoring. Also "adjusting the environment to make yourself comfortable" seems Se ignoring. Si base always goes together with limiting and controlling external sensations (Se). Base and ignoring are kindof opposites and the other function has to be downplayed so that the base function can rule.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem with Gulenko is that he mixes Si base / Se ignoring. They appear together, but one has to keep them separate because they are not the same thing. For example "make your territory autonomous" is hardly Si, but pure Se ignoring. Also "adjusting the environment to make yourself comfortable" seems Se ignoring. Si base always goes together with limiting and controlling external sensations (Se). Base and ignoring are kindof opposites and the other function has to be downplayed so that the base function can rule.
    I see what you mean. There is something that I want to say about Gulenko Model : it's more about behavior than cognitive functions in the pure Jungian sense. When you look at his definitions of "functions of the psyche "(not "cognitive functions" ! ) he talks about how they manifest i.e. incarnated in behavior by the sociotype who has the function in Lead position. This imho is indeed confusing when you look at it from a pure Jungian point of view. Jung describes the cognitive functions in details from within and without, orientations, the relationship between the subject and the object etc...

In Model G the Ignoring Function is described as the following :

"Controlling — leading, stable, internal. Control through restriction. The point of least resistance, the most problematic position (the problem of the divergence of words and deeds is “I know, but I cannot.”). It controls what is happening in a close environment, dominates, imposes its own opinion, but the carrier of the sociotype is not inclined to actions through this function."

It's high on Informations and Low on energy.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great example I think I like bill I do slip in emergency situations though when there is high anxiety.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who said that? Not Jung. Risk taking is more Se and Ne. Read the descriptions.
    I'm talking about the ISTP stereotype of being risk takers. I believe they are referring to SLE types instead of SLI as MBTi is a cluster fuck.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nifl View Post
    physical risks are more of a Ni/Se valuing activity. especially irrationals.
    Right when I think of risk taking I think of someone like David Blaine. Who I am not sure what is type is some people call him ISTP. He could be either SLE or ILI. Also someone like lemmy from motorhead who drinks every day and likes to gamble.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbvWn1EY6g

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    The definition of MBTi Si is different than socionics Si same with Ni and Ti. MBTi messed up introversion.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Right when I think of risk taking I think of someone like David Blaine. Who I am not sure what is type is some people call him ISTP. He could be either SLE or ILI. Also someone like lemmy from motorhead who drinks every day and likes to gamble.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbvWn1EY6g
    David Blaine looks intuitive; ILI is very possible.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Blaine looks intuitive; ILI is very possible.
    Lemmy from motorhead also get labelled as ISTP which is stupid to me the guy is clearly Se-Ne

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm talking about the ISTP stereotype of being risk takers. I believe they are referring to SLE types instead of SLI as MBTi is a cluster fuck.
    I think it's better to refer to the real types as understood by Socionics/Jung. MBTI mixes many types into a mess

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of them have dare Devil streaks. Motorbikes, skateboards, wakeboarding, snowboarding, horse back sports, ect.

Something thrilling gives them some adrenaline, endorphins, heat and sweat maybe, which can also be perceived through the lens of idiosyncratic Si.

Plus, with Si- and Si+ they might build an entire lifestyle surrounding their choice of dare Devil"ness". Routinized physical fun. Mountain bike culture, for example.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arithmetic and socionics is a dangerous combination

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arithmetic and socionics is a dangerous combination
    Lol, Regardless.

I know ISTps, I work as a professional tree faller in both Arbour care and forestry.

SLI are a dime a dozen here.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sun bathing on your speed boat, or sport fishing, is not a real sport. Sorry SLIs.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Sun bathing on your speed boat, or sport fishing, is not a real sport. Sorry SLIs.
    I have a good friend who's an SLI who is a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu. I've also been training BJJ for about 15 years. Do you consider that sport fishing?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a good friend who's an SLI who is a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu. I've also been training BJJ for about 15 years. Do you consider that sport fishing?
    I was saying two separate things that on the surface looked opposing.

One, a Si type could easily participate in a sport including martial arts, however as a gradient (as everything in nature is, despite what the forum's absolutionists would say). You are going to see more Se types gravitate towards martial arts, and definitely when it becomes highly competitive, BUT there will still be other types of people playing them. The dominate pattern I have seen is more about habits and routine... Si types touch base with what is familiar to root them into mental well being. Maybe for you it's jujitsu?

I have also noticed other real SLIs enjoying leisure as sport, ie: fishing. That's not to say ALL SLIs love fishing, or that others do not love fishing, but if I constantly tossed the widest net possible in each and every circumstance it would not be understood.

Plus, I was 50% joking about the sport fishing, but I'm sure it's not far off the mark.

Again hobby interest does not equal, one to one, a sociotype or singular IE. To think such is immature, frankly.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    I was saying two separate things that on the surface looked opposing.

One, a Si type could easily participate in a sport including martial arts, however as a gradient (as everything in nature is, despite what the forum's absolutionists would say). You are going to see more Se types gravitate towards martial arts, and definitely when it becomes highly competitive, BUT there will still be other types of people playing them. The dominate pattern I have seen is more about habits and routine... Si types touch base with what is familiar to root them into mental well being. Maybe for you it's jujitsu?

I have also noticed other real SLIs enjoying leisure as sport, ie: fishing. That's not to say ALL SLIs love fishing, or that others do not love fishing, but if I constantly tossed the widest net possible in each and every circumstance it would not be understood.

Plus, I was 50% joking about the sport fishing, but I'm sure it's not far off the mark.

Again hobby interest does not equal, one to one, a sociotype or singular IE. To think such is immature, frankly.
    For me it's not about destroying my body but learning how to defend myself if the situation arises I can act swiftly and immediately. In terms of fishing I think it's pretty boring to fish but there are lots benefits to doing something boring in terms dealing with your anxiety and connecting with nature etc. Many beta quadrant types will go into extreme sports . Society loves betas they are like the most entertaining people to watch but they end up destroying themselves and their bodies in the process. The government loves to take advantage of them as well and throw them into military roles in which they perform very well but lack proper foresight as to future consequences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's not about destroying my body but learning how to defend myself if the situation arises I can act swiftly and immediately. In terms of fishing I think it's pretty boring to fish but there are lots benefits to doing something boring in terms dealing with your anxiety and connecting with nature etc. Many beta quadrant types will go into extreme sports . Society loves betas they are like the most entertaining people to watch but they end up destroying themselves and their bodies in the process. The government loves to take advantage of them as well and throw them into military roles in which they perform very well but lack proper foresight as to future consequences.
    Well said. I did BJJ for a few years mainly for self-defense purposes, once I learned enough I got bored and moved on, though I still have interest in it and would do it again

I am an avid surfer since a teenager but never really desired or felt comfortable in waves of consequences while all my Beta cohorts would easily take up the challenge. Surfing while I like to do perform and get barreled to me is a more of a therapy and a way to connect to nature more than anything. Skateboarding another hobby from childhood was the same dynamic as well. I guess this also aligns more with me being SLI rather than LII.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superflousman View Post
    Surfing while I like to do perform and get barreled to me is a more of a therapy and a way to connect to nature more than anything. <...> I guess this also aligns more with me being SLI rather than LII.
    The said more reminds N who connects with S side in physical activity.
    S type would explain an interest to a sport by a pleasure, as entertaining and resting. When it's not mainly done for a training.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    The said more reminds N who connects with S side in physical activity.
    S type would explain an interest to a sport by a pleasure, as entertaining and resting. When it's not mainly done for a training.
    Don't see how thats mutually exclusive to doing it for pleasure.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superflousman View Post
    Well said. I did BJJ for a few years mainly for self-defense purposes, once I learned enough I got bored and moved on, though I still have interest in it and would do it again

I am an avid surfer since a teenager but never really desired or felt comfortable in waves of consequences while all my Beta cohorts would easily take up the challenge. Surfing while I like to do perform and get barreled to me is a more of a therapy and a way to connect to nature more than anything. Skateboarding another hobby from childhood was the same dynamic as well. I guess this also aligns more with me being SLI rather than LII.
    Sounds like you"re more SLI. SLI and LII are quite different from each other despite the outword appearance. longong to connect with naturenis a very Si trait I find. I find humans have lost touch with it completely.
    "Precision beats power and timing beats speed"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

longong to connect with naturenis a very Si trait I find. I find humans have lost touch with it completely.
    Yes, I think about this all the time. We have become so disconnected we find nature or anything "natural" perverse.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs are definitely not risk takers, that's more like Se base types that have valued Se and low Ni. They are often engaged in lowkey and relaxing physical activities though.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, yes sometimes they are. They misjudge potential outcomes, yet they get excited about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast