Thread: Gamma Video Game Interests

TIM
    EII/SLI- HN
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gamma Video Game Interests

Last edited by Clarke; 03-07-2023 at 07:42 PM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nowadays I only ever play games that I can pick up easily and zone out to like Session/Skate 3, Forza, Pokemon, Halo/COD multiplayer, Yakuza, etc. I don't have the patience for cinematic, ultra-immersive Sony-exclusive games like God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn anymore.

Witcher 3, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077 and Final Fantasy X are some of my favorite games ever
    Last edited by Averroes; 11-23-2022 at 03:24 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg! A question which I can answer with my extreme ‘tism and lack of employment

S tier: Yume Nikki, Dark Souls 1, Elden Ring, RDR2 (coming from someone who barely touched grad theft auto), Resident Evil 2, Fallout 3, Manhunt 2 (I had it on PSP), Her Story, Rusty Lake, Terraria, Gris, Inside, Hotline Miami, Fable 2, Tetris connect, Modern Warfare on Xbox 360, Hitman Blood Money, Postal 2, Papers,please

A tier: Elder Scrolls Oblivion, civ 6, Little Nightmares 1 and 2, Dark Souls 3, Borderlands, Cultist Simulator, Stardew Valley, Minecraft (I just couldn’t get past that I’d discovered terraria way earlier), the Pokémon games, Disco Elysium, Most other Zelda titles, Undertale, The Room, Cyberpunk, the sims 3 and 4, Tekken 3, Devil May Cry 3, Persona 5

B tier: Portal 2, grand theft auto 4, Half Life 2, Resident Evil, Metal gear solid 3, Hitman 1 and 2

TIM
    ILI-H
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soulslikes/Tactical RPGs/CRPGs -> Turn-Based Strategy (Civ or Endless Space) -> TF2 -> World of Warships
    I slide right depending on how drunk I am.

I've never been able to get into "Do-nothing"/chore simulator games like Animal Crossing or Stardew. I'm also just too deliberate to play RTS, though I would really like to be good at them, especially AoE2.
    >Some disagree with me. They suck.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sudo View Post
    Soulslikes/Tactical RPGs/CRPGs -> Turn-Based Strategy (Civ or Endless Space) -> TF2 -> World of Warships
    I slide right depending on how drunk I am.

I've never been able to get into "Do-nothing"/chore simulator games like Animal Crossing or Stardew. I'm also just too deliberate to play RTS, though I would really like to be good at them, especially AoE2.
    I just realized I had Endless Space 2 in my steam library and the intro cinematic for the "United Empire" is essentially both the best and worst example of what a "Gamma" civilization would look like expressed in a short video:

I also dig how it would essentially spit in the face of the "Dark Forest" theory/solution to the Fermi Paradox. I know for sure I spit in the face of it. There is a way for us all to prosper even if we cannot exactly live together. Perhaps literally if our amino acid chirality don't match up for example. Literally cannot eat each other's food for it's poison to the other. Yet that doesn't mean we should "play it safe" and start sterilizing the galaxy the instant we are able. The trisolarans could have come in peace and we'd likely have gladly helped them in a mutual exchange of our tech and culture. The fact the series I'm referencing was written by a Chinese in good graces with the CCP explains quite a lot on this front. Purely materialist minds would conclude and act as he predicted. Yet to those who know of the realms and truths beyond the merely material the trisolarans are utter idiots and he does touch on it a bit for reasons I won't spoil but he still doesn't fully get it even with those references.

Back on topic: You're pretty much correct. Though for RTS's it's really a matter of learning the timing involved in a given strategy. I'll use "Starcraft" as an example. Once you grasp how long it takes for you to hit 10 SCV's/Drones/Probes you'll know when to optimally start building that first Supply Depot/Overseer/Pylon. From there is when the choices really start to matter depending on your faction and what strat you're going for in relation to both that and what you think/know the other is running. For example, perhaps if you see evidence that the Terran player rushing for siege tanks ya might wanna Zergling Rush the dumbass.

Likewise, if they think you're gonna go for the zergling rush they're gonna construct their buildings to counter that. This will screw them over a bit potentially but the Terran faction is the only one that has a "ranged" unit (the Marine) as its most basic (cheapest and only costing minerals) offensive unit so it actually leans into that faction's strength. Make a wall, then let your dudes with guns shoot at the poor dumb bastards with swords as they hack away at it if they tried to rush you with their statistically stronger but are also limited to melee combat units. Swords/Claws>Guns in CQB. Guns, however, allow one to engage the enemy long before they are able to enact CQB very effectively.

It's a whole essay as to the "meta" of any given RTS but they are all, ultimately, simply a matter of translating the "turns" into real time. It's a thing you can (and all the greatest players of them have) master. The only question is if you are willing and able to devote the time and effort to decoding that somehow. You can do one thing in RTS's that you can't in true TBS's however. Fake outs. You can make a pretty good guess at when your opponent will get a good gander at your base. True masters would start to build a factory or something at that time only to cancel it, reclaim the resources by doing so, and then move on to their true strategy.

That way your enemy will be building the counter to things like Siege Tanks or the like when they were really going for the Starport and the kinds of units they offer or vice versa. Oh how satisfying it would be to be fielding a bunch of ground units against a wall of spore colonies or vice versa. Or tricking the Protoss player into placing all his photon cannons on the wrong side of his base. If you wonder why the RTS genre appeals to the likes of us (and to you given your desire to get better at it) wonder no more. It is those moments of utterly outplaying, out-thinking, and utterly deceiving our opponents that can only really happen in spaces like the RTS that speaks to you.

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call of Duty, Medal of Honour, Counter Strike, Age of Empire and Total War... yeah, some classic shit.
    I do occasionally play sport games, but I mostly enjoy strategy-based games which require more serious elements.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Call of Duty, Medal of Honour, Counter Strike, Age of Empire and Total War... yeah, some classic shit.
    I do occasionally play sport games, but I mostly enjoy strategy-based games which require more serious elements.
    I'd also add in the works of From Software and, as a bit of a tangent, how D&D/Wargaming was originally played. That latter point is the context that informed the OG video game designers (especially of the RPG and Roguelike variants). For a damn good movie/Documentary on that front I'd recommend the film "Secrets of Blackmoor".

Nothing quite gets the Gamma gears turning like subtlety playing the other major powers/patrons/players/etc off against each other while you feed a few seemingly insignificant jobs to a few PC pawns pretending themselves to be great adventurers, mercenary lords, wizards, thieves, clerics, etc. They think themselves the masters of their own fates. Oh, but we know the truth. They are but the ignorant puppets who dance to our tune .

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    I'd also add in the works of From Software and, as a bit of a tangent, how D&D/Wargaming was originally played. That latter point is the context that informed the OG video game designers (especially of the RPG and Roguelike variants). For a damn good movie/Documentary on that front I'd recommend the film "Secrets of Blackmoor".

Nothing quite gets the Gamma gears turning like subtlety playing the other major powers/patrons/players/etc off against each other while you feed a few seemingly insignificant jobs to a few PC pawns pretending themselves to be great adventurers, mercenary lords, wizards, thieves, clerics, etc. They think themselves the masters of their own fates. Oh, but we know the truth. They are but the ignorant puppets who dance to our tune .
    Lol, exactly. Used to do that in the past. And sure, I will check that film when I have time.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    Witcher 3, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077 and Final Fantasy X are some of my favorite games ever
    I picked this game up a month ago when I heard news of a new DLC. Fell in love with it.
    What type of build do you prefer your character to be?

My best friend from high school (SEE) and I (ILI-Ni) still regularly play the RTS "Men of War: Assault Squad 2". A combination of off-the-wall verbal exchanges and mutual aggressive posturing prior to playing this game over the years has resulted in it being referred to colloquially by us as "salted squid". Overall, I think such RTS games, including "Total War" and "Executive Assault" can appeal a lot to SEEs and ILIs, as the former appreciates the strategy and compulsively engages in anything to do with gaining territory while gaming, and the latter thinks the other way. I found my friend enjoys seeing how each of us have adapted our tactics over the years and how we alternate between winning and losing streaks. I also find this an interesting phenomenon. Overall, these RTS games I think are a great way to exchange information on blocked Ni/Te and Se/Fi. The exchange of information on these areas is quite explicit and intense. It's a fun competition every time. I have an LIE friend and he often joins as well. Used to game also with an ESI in highschool. Had no socionics knowledge, but the core of my highschool friend group was literally a complete gamma quadra lol.

I also enjoy the classics like Pokemon battles or some intense multiplayer action in games like Halo or COD. There's nothing quite like teaming up with friends or going head-to-head with other players online. It's always a blast. But hey, if you ever feel like trying something different, I've heard amazing things about the upcoming COD MW3. This might not be cash giraffe that I enjoy playing the most, but it's definitely worth a shot if you're in the mood for some epic adventures.
    Last edited by AubreDkson32; 10-06-2023 at 05:33 AM.

TIM
    NiTe
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably ILI and didn't grow up with vg so I won't go for long, expensive, or involved games -- dilettante in other words

Themes of games I play are usually exploration or battle; gameplay usually involves RNG, allocation of resources, and decisions in scarcity... although the last may be because I lack the good sense to play games on easy or normal mode; I'll set the difficulty to 'hardest' and if I can't hack it, decide the game was rubbish to begin with lol

I'm a master at FTL and enjoy some dungeon crawlers. Games with difficult controls might interest me, but I'd become a bit frustrated on the front end and never really immerse myself (heat signature). I've also played those tower defence games (chasing shadows), and some puzzlers like The Witness. Steam suggested based on my play time in The Witness that I play Leaves: journey or whatever it's called. I finished the game but wanted to kill something by the end

As a casual gamer, the utility of video games is to put myself in a sort of trance -- I'm not much fussed about subjects (although I wouldn't play something like Sims) but anything that doesn't serve this purpose or fills me with impotent frustration gets discarded

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a shitload of games that I don't play. Last game I beat was the Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I would like to play more skill based competitive games but I don't have the time.

TIM
    ESI-Se sp416 FVEL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some of my favorite video games are final fantasy 14, minecraft, league of legends, and a lot of games from the pokémon franchise. in team based games i tend to play support or tank o7

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There are game streamers. Their types and preferable games can be seen.

League of Legends is significant interest of 2 noticed streamers (SEE, ILI).

Quote Originally Posted by stibnite View Post
    probably ILI
    probably IEI, as F

TIM
    NiTe
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    probably IEI, as F
    for type, is best to use video. small quantity of text evidence -- not preferable, can lead to impulsive mistype.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to love strategy/simulation games, age of empires, harvest moon, sims, Skyrim, Fallout etc

Now more action/shooter/speed oriented: Forza, Battlefield, Injustice 2, Crash Bandicoot, Wolfenstein

My big love is Hitman 47

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Used to love strategy/simulation games, age of empires, harvest moon, sims, Skyrim, Fallout etc

Now more action/shooter/speed oriented: Forza, Battlefield, Injustice 2, Crash Bandicoot, Wolfenstein

My big love is Hitman 47
    Being a "Hitman" is kinda the ultimate "evil" Gamma fantasy. I mean, it has everything. Attention to detail, foresight, a wee bit of righteous indignation (I mean, if someone is paying 7 figures or more to see the target dead they must be guilty of some major crime), and the critical role of execution.

It hits all the right spots, tics all the right boxes, etc. As an ILI I can honestly state that if it wasn't for my faith you'd probably be a big fan of my handiwork on the dark web. Agent "End" would be who ya called up when you "Just wanted it done" nice and quiet like. I'd never take a contract where I "send a message" though. That's how you get caught. Remember folks: You will never hear about good Hitmen/Ninjas/Thieves/etc. Why? Because if they do it right you never even suspect they were involved!

If you "send a message" you kinda have to be caught. Y'know, everyone knows you or your contractor did it but they can't nail ya down with evidence. Ya gonna get nailed eventually if you take those contracts so no thank you!

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Being a "Hitman" is kinda the ultimate "evil" Gamma fantasy. I mean, it has everything. Attention to detail, foresight, a wee bit of righteous indignation (I mean, if someone is paying 7 figures or more to see the target dead they must be guilty of some major crime), and the critical role of execution.

It hits all the right spots, tics all the right boxes, etc. As an ILI I can honestly state that if it wasn't for my faith you'd probably be a big fan of my handiwork on the dark web. Agent "End" would be who ya called up when you "Just wanted it done" nice and quiet like. I'd never take a contract where I "send a message" though. That's how you get caught. Remember folks: You will never hear about good Hitmen/Ninjas/Thieves/etc. Why? Because if they do it right you never even suspect they were involved!

If you "send a message" you kinda have to be caught. Y'know, everyone knows you or your contractor did it but they can't nail ya down with evidence. Ya gonna get nailed eventually if you take those contracts so no thank you!
    yeah so true, hadn’t thought of that, it’s actually similar to being a whitehat hacker, I always thought Anonymous are gammas for example, nobody knows who they are but they “take revenge” fighting for what they believe in without need for recognition. Maybe Mr Robot was an ILI?
    now I’m really very curious about your handiwork indeed

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've never played a video game in my life. I have no interest at all in them.

I watched an ILI friend of mine play Duke Nukem when that game first came out, and I wondered what the hell he was seeing in this game.

The worlds and the characters and the situations in video games have been created by humans, and are therefore not 100% accurate representations of reality. How can you get better at interacting with the real world by spending time in simulations? You can't, and therefore, I have to assume that something other than personal improvement is the motivation for playing games.

I much prefer real life adventures. The real world is what leads to real accomplishments. I long ago mastered tic-tac-toe, but I'll never solve all the puzzles of the real world.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Civilization (whatever number)
    other large scale strategy video games

these are some I have seen my LIE brother spend a significant amount of time, throughout this life, playing

on the other hand if I ever play a video game, they tend to be shorter, I like written novel (?) idk what the genre is called, small little puzzle type games - which he also tends to like
    but prefers the aforementioned

I have liked Phoenix Wright in the past

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by necrosebud View Post
    I like written novel (?) idk what the genre is called
    you may like
    Everlasting Summer

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I have no interest at all in them.
    They are made for teenagers, mainly.
    At home became mass popular since 1980s.

> The real world is what leads to real accomplishments

Adam the Obvious

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    you may like
    Everlasting Summer
    I haven't played the game, so I can't speak to it - but that trailer... I wasn't that big of a fan of tbh..

I didn't listen to the audio tho

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by necrosebud View Post
    I haven't played the game, so I can't speak to it - but that trailer...
    It's of subgenre "visual novel", in Japan animation style, of genre of adventures. Game's themes: history/romance/horror/mystic.
    On YT you may find how gaming process looks and other similars.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I just caught this one as I was playing "World of Horror". We also tend to like Rougelike/Rougelite games. World of Horror is "H.P. Lovecraft's universe with Junji Ito's aesthetics" in a procedurally generated scenario encompassing 4-5 mysteries with various twists and turns depending on what ya do and/or what the "dice" say.

Total chaos with a hint of predictability once you figure it all out. FTL is another good one. Yeah, in these games the RNG can just utterly fuck you over but more often than not you can, if not win outright, get darn close. Plus in the "roguelikes" where your previous iterations matter materially (i.e. you're playing what many consider a rougelite) even failed runs are worth the time and effort because even if ya died ya get progress towards the next achievement/unlock.

This is also why soulslikes are so big amongst gammas. Ya know why ya died and, if you can not fuck up again a second time, ya didn't really lose anything except time. Retrieving your "souls" and then getting to the next bonfire did indeed cost you nothing else save a bit of time. Most valuable resource in the world to be sure but anything that can make you objectively "waste" it without it feeling like it is a stroke of genius. From Soft and their now many imitators know what the heck they're doing.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I've never played a video game in my life. I have no interest at all in them.

I watched an ILI friend of mine play Duke Nukem when that game first came out, and I wondered what the hell he was seeing in this game.

The worlds and the characters and the situations in video games have been created by humans, and are therefore not 100% accurate representations of reality. How can you get better at interacting with the real world by spending time in simulations? You can't, and therefore, I have to assume that something other than personal improvement is the motivation for playing games.

I much prefer real life adventures. The real world is what leads to real accomplishments. I long ago mastered tic-tac-toe, but I'll never solve all the puzzles of the real world.
    This is a whole lecture but what you're saying could be equally applied to Fiction in general. Why read/watch/discuss/etc. a work of Fiction of any kind? It's not real and has no direct result on reality so why bother?

I'd also argue that sub-optimal simulations can still pay dividends in the real world. Plastic .50 BMG training rounds do not behave the same as actual .50 BMG FMJ/whatever round you want your sniper to get damn good with but it's "close enough" and thus you go down the route of saving hundreds of dollars per training shot by using the plastic rounds for the newbies. Same for things like "Ballistic Gel" and such.

Not a full and totally accurate medium but it's "Good enough" and as I've said many a time the / axis is the realm of the applied engineer. Good Enough is perfect in this realm. The only real concern, given these facts, is if the "simulation" is indeed geared towards getting people to be effective in the real world. "Handicaps" for things like orbital mechanics or wartime logistics are anathema to the man/woman who wants people who use the simulation to become effective adults in such fields.

If you ever get the chance join a TTRPG group that uses the ACKS or AD&D first edition with a staunch insistence on 1:1 timekeeping. That's a Wargame with a serious emphasis on the WAR part of it. You are NOT telling a collective story with other people. You are waging a campaign and those who think and act that way will win and any soyfaced cuck who thinks his oh so special OC is the greatest ever will get shown the wonders of how Indirect Fire is pretty much always the answer to any problem that seems to emanate from a mortal being with a body that occupies meatspace.

Cry all they want but as it turns out no amount of Ghost Dancing will stop a .45 ACP fired at 10 meters from the hands of a man/woman who knows how to hold and acquire a clear sight picture with their totally not an M1911. Serious "Simulations" get this point across to any newbie/child really hard and really fast. Having experienced this fact in a "simulation" the person in question is now much better equipped to deal with something similar if it pops up in real life.

This is the unique advantage sentient beings have over all other forms of life. Not only can we learn from the mistakes of others we see in our lives, we can even learn from the mistakes made up people made in their lives! Fiction is an evolutionary advantage to the point even the Christian God, Jesus Christ, spoke primarily in story/parable. There's a reason why that's the case my dude.
    Last edited by End; 11-09-2023 at 05:06 AM.

Subversive Sage(?)
    TIM
    ILI(?) 5w4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up with mostly Playstation consoles, although nowadays I’m primarily a PC gamer. Most of the console exclusives I’d want to play can be run through an emulator well enough, since a lot of them are for 7th gen or earlier consoles. I don’t get the impression that there’s much for me to miss out on with most newer games, given the trends of many of these so-called “triple-A” titles taking up over 100GB of storage space with all their high standard hardware requirements, although I’d say it’s worth it for games like Baldur’s Gate 3 at least (still gonna have to wait to get a good enough SSD to play it from). Horizon Zero Dawn and Insomniac’s Spiderman games are also pretty based.

I can potentially enjoy playing most genres of games, though I tend to gravitate mainly towards RPGs, sandbox/simulation and racing game genres. I usually prefer gaming solo, although for now I find racing to be the most enjoyable as a multiplayer experience. That’s how I’ve gotten very into playing Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled and Jak X, though more recently I’ve decided to pick up on some more “realistic” racers, revisiting Gran Turismo 3 for instance (might’ve been the first game I ever played on a PS2). I also just recently got myself Forza Horizon 4, not quite sure what I think of it yet.

The game that I played the most overall would probably be Skyrim. I can remember my 15-year-old self staying up until 2 in the morning on that game. Now I’m once again falling down the rabbit hole of modding it.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Library of ruina/lobotomy corp is the most gamma setting ever

I have 5k hours in factorio, 1k in satisfactory, 2k in EU4, 700 in HOI4/Kaissereich