Threaded View

TIM
    6w5 ISTJ? Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Thought About Socionics

While browsing this forum, I encountered the theory that MBTI and socionics are the same. Due to a tendency to use information from personality-database, a personality guessing and analysis forum that tries to figure out the MBTI, socionics, enneagram, and other personality types, I have generally believed that a person can be a MBTI type that can't be directly translated into their socionics type. This is supported by the mismatch between the MBTI ISTP and the socionics ISTj/LSI (ISTP's are in the moment and adaptable, while LSI's value structure in a way stereotypically similar to an MBTI ISTJ). However, after some research and some self discovery, I have found more information that can support my conclusion.

A history about my life:
    I have historically been an artist and a scientist. From a young age, I liked drawing, but I was also a rule stickler who was terrified of going against the rules. My drawing skills were good, and I had some creativity, but ultimately my work was based more on realism than anything impressionistic. I remember having trouble with spontaneity in elementary and middle school, being skeptical of brainstorming because it was difficult for me and because I didn't think it was necessary for me to solve tasks. I was drawn to science and adept at school due to my ability to understand math and remember information. Although I did develop some spontaneous characteristics in my mid to late teens (although I was always somewhat prepared for my spontaneous presentations), I don't think that I truly used my creativity until I suddenly developed story writing in my early 20s.

Throughout my life, I've distrusted my gut instincts and intuitions because they were very unreliable. The possibilities of what could go wrong and the sense that things would go wrong were a source of paranoia for me, and I usually used tangible evidence (such as memory, observations, and facts) to reassure myself that my intuitions weren't true.

In my early 20s, after I had developed storywriting abilities, I found MBTI and researched it, thinking that it would be a useful system to be able to predict human behavior (which would help my storywriting). However, after researching it for a while, I started to get paranoid that I was a feeler type, an INFP. I researched the system more to disprove this, and then came across socionics, which made me realize that I was an EII through the dichotomies. I corresponded this to the MBTI INFP and despaired, as I was not as logical as I thought I was. Then I criticized my friends for thinking that they were different types, tried to face read and use gut intuitions to determine peoples' types, and then finally entered a period of severe psychological stress.

During my period of psychological stress, I was reckless, not in tune with my bodily needs, and started to believe in wild conspiracy theories. I was also a random idea generator that used my random idea generation to wildly support the theories. Later during my period of psychological stress, I would theorize endlessly, keeping me up at night, and I would support my theorizations with my interpretations about my personal feelings about others.

Characteristics about myself that support my conclusions:
    I think that I'm an ISTJ based on an understanding of main and shadow functions. I was detail oriented and tended to stubbornly stick to a certain lifestyle, which seems to support MBTI Si. I helped others and justified my own rationales and views about the world by acquiring and talking about facts that I had acquired from reliable sources, which indicates Te. Finally, I tend to think that making decisions based on logic is the right approach, and that people should generally try to ignore their feelings, but despite this I've always had trouble doing so which might indicate Fi.

When I was psychologically stressed, I used theorizing and idea generation to come up with justifications for my viewpoints, and used my internal feelings (how I felt about others and what they meant to me) to justify my points. I got worse at logic while stressed, and I lost touch with my memories and my self restraint.

When I first believed that I was an INFP, I did a large amount of fact searching and looked into the physical world to support my viewpoints in order to support my fact-based perspective that I was actually an introverted logical type instead of a feeler (supports Se opposing). I was always self critical when it came to logic (supports Ti parent) and had an aversion to extroverted feeling (possibly supports Fe trickster). My psychological stress period was triggered by paranoia that I could be an INFP, a sort of vision or feeling that I was wrong and that I was actually a feeler (I think that this supports Ni demon).

In terms of socionics, I have historically been vulnerable when it came to physical confrontations. Despite being detail oriented and a thinker, I have always been bad at sports. Another characteristic about me is that I'm not completely comfortable with using certain types of reasoning that aren't fact based. I think that the Ne-EII description on sociotype generally fits me except for being interested in medicine and being religious.

Sociotype has a list of dichotomies that fit each type. In that list, I fit introverted (I tend to get drained when I talk to others for too long), rational (I like to make goals and stick to them, sometimes adopting different methods of accomplishing them), intuitive (I'm not comfortable with physical confrontations), and static (I tend to talk about properties and structures of reality, and have historically made stories revolving around one character).

A look into the data on personality database:
    While peoples' interpretations and votes on characters' personalities are questionable, given that some of it is based on intuition without supporting evidence, there have been a few observations made there that support my conclusions. One observation that I saw there was that Nobunaga, a Japanese warlord, had an interest and an affinity for innovative strategies and technologies and objects foreign to Japan (we could say he had an interest in new, unfamiliar and innovative things), but was ultimately more focused on power and influence than the ideas themselves (indicates that he may be an ENTP SLE). Another good rationale that I saw there was that Sly Cooper, a good-hearted thief in a video game, lived in the moment but was not concerned with having influence over others (the commenter believed that sly cooper was an ESTP ILE). And finally, the Punisher (from Punisher Max), is a routine oriented person that is aware of the emotional background of a situation (this would imply that he's merry in the sociotype dichotomies, which means that he can't be an SLI).

Edit:
    I think that I didn't generally have problems interpreting the physical environment, but I had problems acting in it. As for Fe, I think that it was confusing to interpret peoples' emotions based on their facial expressions, but I could be part of emotionally lively atmospheres (at least until they asked me to display emotions I wasn't comfortable with). I don't think that I was ever paranoid about expressing emotions (I was confident in my ability to stay emotionally neutral or emotionally pleasant).
    Last edited by Clarke; 09-30-2022 at 02:11 AM.