Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sex Abuse Scandal in the Catholic Church

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The point is things you don't like also have evolutionary benefits and they don't stop having those benefits just because little ol str8 suburban Dog of Danger dislikes them.

Obviously pedophilia/sex abuse still serves SOME function in the world- or Mother Nature would have completely wiped it out entirely already. I know that's what we would all like to do to pedos & rapists (and say things like that when we're trying to virtue signal) but again , the truth is higher than any of us.

I don't want to come across like I'm justifying pedophilia obviously, but I mean real intelligence has always been against morals like that and also not about following the Karen trends as well. It's not about being popular. Grabbing a pitchfork and saying you hate that type of people because of X is about being popular , or is sometimes a proper emotional reaction from people who were abused by a pedophile. Intelligence is being the guy or girl that ignores that, and does their own research to arrive at the conclusion even if the truth is gonna offend some ears.

Many of our research into gay animals was blocked because scientific experts kept projecting their own heterosexuality into it- it wasn't until recently they removed themselves from the equation and discovered the genetic links of homosexuality in the animal kingdom. Had to get over a lot of 'Ew yuck this is wrong' to study it accurately and without bias etc.

Arrogant people who think they are smart but aren't really smart- are quite dangerous (like Mama Ru taught us), so I guess at least your name is fitting.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@subpee
    Try an entire 1200 page textbook from front to back. I'm well aware that there are flaws in the design, that evolution is not perfection - but what you don't understand is the miracle that the machine works at all, much less that it works so incredibly well, the incalculable number of chemical processes happening in tandem, and the incredible elegance of it all. This is an impression you would get if you did infact crack open a biology textbook.
    How do you know that virus DNA didn't drive mutation & promote evolution? Viruses do thin out the weaker organisms. There are many examples in nature of predator/prey relationships driving mutual evolution. How do you know that the incorporation of viral DNA isn't used by the innate immune system to identify the viruses...? You don't, you're just kind of dumbly assuming the design is inelegant - in the same way you jump to the simplest, dumbest conclusion about every other conversation topic.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 09-25-2022 at 06:19 AM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    The point is things you don't like also have evolutionary benefits and they don't stop having those benefits just because little ol str8 suburban Dog of Danger dislikes them.

Obviously pedophilia/sex abuse still serves SOME function in the world- or Mother Nature would have completely wiped it out entirely already. I know that's what we would all like to do to pedos & rapists (and say things like that when we're trying to virtue signal) but again , the truth is higher than any of us.
    That's not how natural selection works. There needs to be sufficient pressure and sufficient time for detriments to survival to be "wiped out entirely." If sexual abuse doesn't have an effect, or even has a small negative effect, on reproductive success then it's not necessarily weeded out, and the more complex a change is then the more time it would take for sufficient mutations to happen, if they can even happen. What would a mutation to prevent sexual abuse even look like? And if sexual abuse arises from cultural/social reasons rather than genetics it's even more complicated.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, because not all behavior is driven primarily by instinct, and not all behavior is evolutionary. That's what I am saying. As I explained, due to circumstances the instincts can be blocked, and this is the situation we find ourselves in in modern society. This is what I call "extinction-mimicking conditions", or repressive conditions. Maybe this is natural, ... I think it probably is, but that doesn't make it evolutionary. Evolution occurs from life carrying forward, repeatedly, over very long periods.... it is natures selection mechanism. You could perhaps say nature has a kill mechanism as well, death is certainly part of nature. Nature perhaps chooses to reject certain things. That poor gazelle with the limp leg that gets it throat torn out by a cheetah is not going to be passing its genes on, sadly. Nature produced it... and then devoured it. I suppose it did serve a purpose insofar as it provided food for others... you couldn't really say that it molded natural instinct, though. Maybe it molded the instincts of others to kill it. That's about the most it did. Nothing unique about it lives on - its genes are gone.

I don't want to come across like I'm justifying pedophilia obviously, but I mean real intelligence has always been against morals like that and also not about following the Karen trends as well. It's not about being popular. Grabbing a pitchfork and saying you hate that type of people because of X is about being popular , or is sometimes a proper emotional reaction from people who were abused by a pedophile. Intelligence is being the guy or girl that ignores that, and does their own research to arrive at the conclusion even if the truth is gonna offend some ears.

Many of our research into gay animals was blocked because scientific experts kept projecting their own heterosexuality into it- it wasn't until recently they removed themselves from the equation and discovered the genetic links of homosexuality in the animal kingdom. Had to get over a lot of 'Ew yuck this is wrong' to study it accurately and without bias etc.

Arrogant people who think they are smart but aren't really smart- are quite dangerous (like Mama Ru taught us), so I guess at least your name is fitting.
    As far as gay genes go, genes are expressed within an environment, and when you're making statements about something as ambiguous as human behavior and dealing in correlations of complex combinations of gene clusters and epigenetics... you can't separate out the environment. That being said, I've never denied there's some kind of correlation. What do you think I'm actually claiming? Do you think I'm claiming gays don't exist? Gays exist. Gay animals exist - I'm aware. All I've ever said on this topic is gay behavior has negative survival reproductive value, and so when you see this happening you have to look to circumstances for some sort of derailment or blocking of the instinct. That doesn't cast some kind of deep moral judgment on the person... Am I morally judging the gazelle that got its throat torn out? By observing that this is what happened? Not really, no...
    You could get deeper into this, you could consider nature to be a kind of judge, evolution to be a sort of ultimate moral authority, but I've explained earlier that I consider human instinct completely derailed and so I'm not really interested in making these sorts of moral judgments about people. I am just really interested in understanding human nature and accurately describing human instinct, I think this is very enriching in that it can lead one to a deep understanding of themselves.
    Infact, when we really dispense with the privilege given to gay males to be indiscriminately abusive to others, you are being far ruder than i have ever been toward you. I have explained things very fairly and thoroughly to you repeatedly, so...
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 09-25-2022 at 06:13 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    What would a mutation to prevent sexual abuse even look like?

...Well, it reduces it at least. I don't think humans are going to evolve that any time soon, though. Another option would be if vaginas actually had teeth, but then rectums also having teeth would cause many more problems than it solves.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    @subpee
    Try an entire 1200 page textbook from front to back. I'm well aware that there are flaws in the design, that evolution is not perfection - but what you don't understand is the miracle that the machine works at all, much less that it works so incredibly well, the incalculable number of chemical processes happening in tandem, and the incredible elegance of it all. This is an impression you would get if you did infact crack open a biology textbook.
    How do you know that virus DNA didn't drive mutation & promote evolution? Viruses do thin out the weaker organisms. There are many examples in nature of predator/prey relationships driving mutual evolution. How do you know that the incorporation of viral DNA isn't used by the innate immune system to identify the viruses...? You don't, you're just kind of dumbly assuming the design is inelegant - in the same way you jump to the simplest, dumbest conclusion about every other conversation topic.
    To what extent do you support slavery and forcing victims to marry their rapists?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep sitting in that computer chair and finding new injustices to whine about - it's an imaginary audience that cares.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Keep sitting in that computer chair.
    Why are you unwilling to answer the question? Does your God support slavery and rape, or not?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just spent a whole page trying to convince you that child rape is anti-evolutionary, so what do you think?

If you can't figure out whether nature selects for rape it's not a surprise you can't decipher what the bible has to say about it.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just spent a whole page trying to convince you that child rape is anti-evolutionary, so what do you think?
    You are still avoiding the question.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If you can't figure out whether nature selects for rape it's not a surprise you can't decipher what the bible has to say about it.
    I didn't ask you if your God supported child rape.

Does your God support the killing of children?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    You are still avoiding the question.
    That's because people who ask disingenuous questions don't deserve explanations.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 09-26-2022 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I didn't ask you if your God supported child rape.

Does your God support the killing of children?
    If they were your children I think I could get behind it, we don't need your spreading your seed any further.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"God" thought that you could affect an animal's genetics by placing distinct types of branch in front of mating animals.

"37 Jacob, however, took fresh-cut branches from poplar, almond and plane trees and made white stripes on them by peeling the bark and exposing the white inner wood of the branches. 38 Then he placed the peeled branches in all the watering troughs, so that they would be directly in front of the flocks when they came to drink. When the flocks were in heat and came to drink, 39 they mated in front of the branches. And they bore young that were streaked or speckled or spotted. 40 Jacob set apart the young of the flock by themselves, but made the rest face the streaked and dark-colored animals that belonged to Laban. Thus he made separate flocks for himself and did not put them with Laban’s animals. 41 Whenever the stronger females were in heat, Jacob would place the branches in the troughs in front of the animals so they would mate near the branches, 42 but if the animals were weak, he would not place them there. So the weak animals went to Laban and the strong ones to Jacob. 43 In this way the man grew exceedingly prosperous and came to own large flocks, and female and male servants, and camels and donkeys." - Genesis 30:37-43

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because because who ask disingenuous questions don't deserve explanations.
    It's not disingenuous. You aren't even really ignoring it, you're acknowledging it and not answering, which is the worst place to be in. Some people like to ask stupid questions to get people to have to acknowledge it. You're acknowledging it, but you're not rebutting it. You would've been better off just ignoring it entirely if you really think it's disingenuous, or saying "I don't think you're being honest here."

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While that passage doesn't mention God anywhere, I've actually seen far weirder things happen with my own eyes, tbh.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If they were your children I think I could get behind it, we don't need your spreading your seed any further.
    According to Genesis, "God" killed most of all life on Earth, and deliberately killed children on many other occasions (this page only includes some of them):
    https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.c.../abortion.html

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    It's not disingenuous. You aren't even really ignoring it, you're acknowledging it and not answering, which is the worst place to be in. Some people like to ask stupid questions to get people to have to acknowledge it. You're acknowledging it, but you're not rebutting it. You would've been better off just ignoring it entirely if you really think it's disingenuous, or saying "I don't think you're being honest here."
    Better off in whose eyes...? Your imaginary audience sounds alot different than mine.
    I would have been better off had you fucked off, tbh. Or if I had gone to sleep an hour ago.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 09-25-2022 at 01:30 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

While that passage doesn't mention God anywhere, I've actually seen far weirder things happen with my own eyes, tbh.
    31 Jacob heard that Laban’s sons were saying, “Jacob has taken everything our father owned and has gained all this wealth from what belonged to our father.” 2 And Jacob noticed that Laban’s attitude toward him was not what it had been.

3 Then the Lord said to Jacob, “Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you.”

4 So Jacob sent word to Rachel and Leah to come out to the fields where his flocks were. 5 He said to them, “I see that your father’s attitude toward me is not what it was before, but the God of my father has been with me. 6 You know that I’ve worked for your father with all my strength, 7 yet your father has cheated me by changing my wages ten times. However, God has not allowed him to harm me. 8 If he said, ‘The speckled ones will be your wages,’ then all the flocks gave birth to speckled young; and if he said, ‘The streaked ones will be your wages,’ then all the flocks bore streaked young. 9 So God has taken away your father’s livestock and has given them to me.

10 “In breeding season I once had a dream in which I looked up and saw that the male goats mating with the flock were streaked, speckled or spotted. 11 The angel of God said to me in the dream, ‘Jacob.’ I answered, ‘Here I am.’ 12 And he said, ‘Look up and see that all the male goats mating with the flock are streaked, speckled or spotted, for I have seen all that Laban has been doing to you. 13 I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land.’”
    - Genesis 31

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

That's because because who ask disingenuous questions don't deserve explanations.
    It's not disingenuous if your God condones rape, while you have been speaking against it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SubT - God does not condone rape ...
    There is nothing to be gained by debating religion, especially not with a person only looking for the quickest way to reinforce his preconceived notions... you do this with everything, this is why I call you stupid - and I really do mean that about you - you are a moron. Your lifelong need to poke holes in religion to justify your lack of virtues is old and very weak and whiny, so...
    Religion is kind of the ideal outlet for you to jump to poorly conceived notions and play stupid about things.
    With that, adios and goodnight.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

15 And Moses was angry with the officers, and said to them,
    Have you saved all the women alive?

16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.

These are the women that caused the Israelites, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against God in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague on the congregation.

17 Now go and kill all the young males and every non-virgin woman.

18 But all the virgin females, keep alive for yourselves.
    - Numbers 30:15-18

Do you approve of killing the children of your enemies and raping your virgin female enemies?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

SubT - God does not condone rape ...
    There is nothing to be gained by debating religion, especially not with a person only looking for the quickest way to reinforce his preconceived notions... you do this with everything, this is why I call you stupid - and I really do mean that about you - you are a moron. Your lifelong need to poke holes in religion to justify your pathetic lack of any virtues is also old and very weak and whiny, so...
    Religion is kind of the ideal outlet for you to jump to poorly conceived notions and play stupid about things.
    With that, adios and goodnight.

Which "God" are you referring to?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Numbers 30:15-18

Do you approve of killing the children of your enemies and raping your virgin female enemies?
    That's Moses speaking, not God... and the word rape wasn't used here, so... this is actually more like treating women as trade-goods. Women were pretty much traded like cattle back in these days, so... just you being disingenuous as usual.
    As I said earlier, if we can imagine this were your offspring, and this were way back then, I actually think it would be best for the world if we killed off as much of your seed as possible so that it didn't spread and ultimately infect the world and destroy everything. In this sense you could say Moses is doing the world a favor. So yes, I actually am fine with this sort of thing.
    I don't think it lives up to the universal ideal, but again this is not God speaking, this is Moses, so keep trying.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

That's Moses speaking, not God... and the word rape isn't used here, this is actually be more like treating women as trade-goods. Women were pretty much traded like cattle back in these days, so...
    As I said earlier, if we can imagine this were your offspring, and this were way back then, I actually think it would be best for the world if we killed off as much of your seed as possible so that it didn't spread and ultimately infect the world and destroy everything. In this sense you could say Moses is doing the world a favor. So yes, I actually am fine with this sort of thing.
    I don't think it lives up to the universal ideal, but again this is not God speaking, this is Moses, so keep trying.
    There are a lot of such instructions that come straight from "God" in the bible.

Are you saying you're better than "God"? A low bar, but better than nothing I guess.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said earlier, if we can imagine this were your offspring, and this were way back then, I actually think it would be best for the world if we killed off as much of your seed as possible so that it didn't spread and ultimately infect the world and destroy everything.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

That's Moses speaking, not God... and the word rape wasn't used here, so... this is actually be more like treating women as trade-goods. Women were pretty much traded like cattle back in these days, so... just you being disingenuous as usual.
    Only a few passages on from this:

25 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

26 Take the sum of the prey that was taken, both of man and of beast, thou, and Eleazar the priest, and the chief fathers of the congregation:

27 And divide the prey into two parts; between them that took the war upon them, who went out to battle, and between all the congregation:

28 And levy a tribute unto the Lord of the men of war which went out to battle: one soul of five hundred, both of the persons, and of the beeves, and of the asses, and of the sheep:

29 Take it of their half, and give it unto Eleazar the priest, for an heave offering of the LORD.

30 And of the children of Israel's half, thou shalt take one portion of fifty, of the persons, of the beeves, of the asses, and of the flocks, of all manner of beasts, and give them unto the Levites, which keep the charge of the tabernacle of the LORD.

31 And Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the LORD commanded Moses.

32 And the booty, being the rest of the prey which the men of war had caught, was six hundred thousand and seventy thousand and five thousand sheep,

33 And threescore and twelve thousand beeves,

34 And threescore and one thousand asses,

35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.
    - Numbers 30:25-35

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@DogOfDanger

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@DogOfDanger

The Bible has nothing to say against pedophilia.

It does have some passages that seem to approve of it, however. For example:

It's OK to have sex with "women children" that are obtained in war.

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites ... And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males ... And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones ... And Moses was wroth with the officers ... And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Numbers 31:1-18

When thou comest nigh unto a city to fight against it ... And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword: But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself. Deuteronomy 20:10-14

How shall we do for wives for them that remain, seeing we have sworn by the LORD that we will not give them of our daughters to wives? ... And the congregation sent thither twelve thousand men of the valiantest, and commanded them, saying, Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead with the edge of the sword, with the women and the children. And this is the thing that ye shall do, Ye shall utterly destroy every male, and every woman that hath lain by man. And they found among the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead four hundred young virgins, that had known no man by lying with any male: and they brought them unto the camp to Shiloh. Judges 21:7-11

Go and lie in wait in the vineyards; And see, and, behold, if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in dances, then come ye out of the vineyards, and catch you every man his wife of the daughters of Shiloh ... And the children of Benjamin did so, and took them wives, according to their number, of them that danced, whom they caught. Judges 21:20-23

It's OK to sell your daughter (no mention is made of age) to a man for him to use as a sex slave.

if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant ... If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed ... If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. Exodus 21:7-10
    https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.c...edophilia.html

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is not any mention in there of rape, so... keep trying.
    And that bit on pedophilia looks like misguided speculation, bad translations, or the ignoring of context put out by some like-minded dogmatic atheist to me.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 09-27-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@DogOfDanger

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
    It's a DogOfDanger thread now even if I started it, we can say he's saying whatever we want him to be saying.

It does support my idea that Protestants would likely appear much worse than Catholics if they were subjected to the same scrutiny, though. After all, the Duggars didn't become infamous for doing nice things (even if they were originally just famous for being famous.)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There is not any mention in there of rape, so... keep trying.
    But yes, once again if we just imagine it is your offspring that we're killing here I think it makes sense that even God himself may ordain this be done. After all, this is the dawn of civilization, and if your seed is allowed to spread it permanently alters the course of humanity. We'd be basically flushing the world and humanities future down the tubes by allowing you to spread your seed, so...
    I literally pointed out to you before that God expected victims to marry their rapists rather than the rapists to be punished.

Now you are saying that committing genocide and enslaving all the remaining virgin women that they caught after lying in wait is not rape.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Overindulgence has a very direct relationship with deprivation. A good example of this is obesity - it is counterintuitive, but obese people are often malnourished due to the type of food they eat. I have a sister who's 350 pounds, she also has scurvy due to extreme vitamin C deficiency... obese people typically don't eat their vegetables, fruits, etc. - people aren't aware of it but there are all sorts of nutritients beyond simple vitamins / minerals that you get from eating fruits & vegetables. What's driving the hunger is actually the body demanding nourishment. The hunger is unsatiated, or only slightly satiated, due to the diet itself.
    The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
    Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God.
    Righteous people will flourish. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I literally pointed out to you before that God expected victims to marry their rapists rather than the rapists to be punished.
    The passage actually says something like... if the woman doesn't scream then we'll assume it wasn't rape, therefor they must be married. So no, it doesn't actually say "you must marry your rapist", this is just another desperate attempt here.

Now you are saying that committing genocide and enslaving all the remaining virgin women that they caught after lying in wait is not rape.
    It is essentially treating the women as if they were being traded like cattle or some other kind of potted good or plant, but no, it is not rape. And this is how women were traded back then, so.... oh well, not my problem.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You will eat the flesh of your sons and daughters.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The passage actually says something like... if the woman doesn't scream then we'll assume it wasn't rape, therefor they must be married. So no, it doesn't actually say "you must marry your rapist", this is just another desperate attempt here.
    Not true, it says:
    25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.
    "WE KNOW it was rape, we're going to force the woman to marry the rapist and let the rapist live". In other instances, women were killed for not being able to prove they were virgins.

13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

22 If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

30 A man is not to marry his father’s wife; he must not dishonor his father’s bed.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...22&version=NIV

Basically, the rape is treated as a property crime, against the woman's father or husband.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I doubt chimpanzees are horrified by rape. And many human religions and cultures consider it acceptable.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Eh... rape isn't evolutionary. a) it doesn't provide a stable family unit for the offspring, decreasing its chances of survival, b) it has social consequences that can get the rapist killed or children abandoned / aborted / killed, or neglected by the mother, etc.
    Does committing genocide and forcing the surviving virgin females into marriage provide a stable family unit, in your view? (or "Nature's" view, "God"'s view, whatever gets you through the night)

Evolution. Kids are not capable of reproducing so there would be no evolutionary benefit of that, hence there wouldn't be an instinct to do that...
    What is the evolutionary benefit of killing children, in your view? (or "Nature's" view, "God"'s view, whatever gets you through the night)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Do you recant?

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting thread.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast