TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    @DogOfDanger @lavos

according to you, altruistic acts done for the benefit of strangers with no prospect of reward aside from personal pleasure are "unnatural", " the product of evil", "stupid", and have no purpose from an evolutionary perspective.
    Huh?

Altruistic acts stem from the, again, human nature. The same it can cause evil, it can cause good. I won't argue that altruistic acts somehow benefit the herd or tribe like they do in the primitive or animal worlds (although it is plausible). Simply, humans can do good out of the blue, or they can do evil out of the blue (according to their nature). Although I have the belief that the human entity is good inherently, and evil has to be caused somehow.

You claim everything is instinct like as if we were animals, and now you're talking about altruistic acts?

Also, please don't group me with anyone as if my argument was the same as theirs, as all I've done is agree with most of the points they raised in the particular post I liked. However, I don't agree with anything you in particular have said thus far. What do you intend to transmit/what is your point?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    Huh?

Altruistic acts stem from the, again, human nature. The same it can cause evil, it can cause good. I won't argue that altruistic acts somehow benefit the herd or tribe like they do in the primitive or animal worlds (although it is plausible). Simply, humans can do good out of the blue, or they can do evil out of the blue (according to their nature). Although I have the belief that the human entity is good inherently, and evil has to be caused somehow.

You claim everything is instinct like as if we were animals, and now you're talking about altruistic acts?
    I didn't say that everything is instinct. I only queried what was meant by an "unnatural" instinct.
    Also, please don't group me with anyone as if my argument was the same as theirs, as all I've done is agree with most of the points they raised in the particular post I liked. However, I don't agree with anything you in particular have said thus far. What do you intend to transmit/what is your point?
    My point was that by your interpretation, altruism with no benefit to the self except pleasure is as "unnatural" as child rape, something you consider evil because you consider it "unnatural" - something that animals don't do, in your view.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I didn't say that everything is instinct. I only queried what was meant by an "unnatural" instinct.

My point was that by your interpretation, altruism with no benefit to the self except pleasure is as "unnatural" as child rape, something you consider evil because you consider it "unnatural" - something that animals don't do, in your view.
    I'm aware of the the contradiction, but it's just that I believe it is unnatural also to humans despite human capacity for evil. One thing is "normal" evil, another thing is this. I'll give you an analogy to see if you understand it: do you identify a rock as food? I bet you don't. An apple is food, but not a rock. However, could you be convinced with some ruse or hypnagogic technique that a rock is food? It might be possible, but it would be unnatural. A corruption of the natural order of things The same way, children are not meant to be sexualizable beings. That's how I see it.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm aware of the the contradiction, but it's just that I believe it is unnatural also to humans despite human capacity for evil. One thing is "normal" evil, another thing is this. I'll give you an analogy to see if you understand it: do you identify a rock as food? I bet you don't. An apple is food, but not a rock. However, could you be convinced with some ruse or hypnagogic technique that a rock is food? It might be possible, but it would be unnatural. A corruption of the natural order of things The same way, children are not meant to be sexualizable beings. That's how I see it.
    That's confusing natural categories with cultural norms.