TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On suggesting someone is mistyped

Hi,

I've just now realized that people generally don't like being told they might be mistyped. It seems natural, considering: 1. People are usually offended when their beliefs are challenged and 2. "How could you know me better than I do?". The offense taken would supposedly be in proportion to the degree to which the (false) belief constitutes the person's identity. Anyhow, people don't seem to like it. I've sensed this for a while, but now it seems pretty much confirmed.

The thing is: The people I encounter IRL, who know of typology, usually derive their type solely from the 16p test... and they're often seemingly wrong. I really enjoy discussing typology, but I feel the discussion becomes somewhat unpleasant when suggesting someone might be mistyped.

How would one ideally go about telling someone they might be mistyped? Should one do it, at all? "Don't argue with idiots" -- but I, myself, was mistyped for years, so that'd make me an idiot. So, they're not idiots, they're simply mistyped. Should one, e.g. if they think they're IEI and they're probably EIE, coddle them Fe-wise with statements along the lines of "IEI's have these weaknesses, I admire EIE's for yadayada, etc."? I really don't know...

I'm sure people on this forum have encountered similar situations, so what do you think about this?

Thank you for reading. ^^
    Last edited by salehieh; 09-16-2022 at 09:14 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are open to it, then yeah. But if not, it’s usually not a good idea. Also, the closer you are to a person, the more receptive he or she might be.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let them be, if it truly matters to them, they'll figure it out eventually. There's a reason people mistype themselves, sometimes they need to cling to this wrong image to "survive" mentally. "Survive" might not be the best word, but I can't think of anything else.
    Let them open the discussion and care for yourself in the meantime, be the "meantime" a week or eternity.

I did argue with someone that I was mistyped by that 16p test tho, lol.

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you shouldn’t say that someone has mistyped themselves, because that comes across as them being wrong/foolish.
    If you’ve genuinely got an interest in discussing someone’s type with a person who has already ‘decided’ on it then ask them if maybe they’re interested in hearing your thoughts on it first, then *share your observations*. You’re not really supposed to convince them of your own idea of their type, because people don’t work that way. You need to treat it like an exchange of ideas.

Then again, this all seems like pretty common sense to me.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've told people irl they're mistyped. First I listen to them and their reasons, then I tell them my opinion. Then I try to explain that the tests don't give the right results. But then you have to be prepared to continue the discussion and teaching them about the types. Ideally you would have to be able to give examples, compare people irl etc.

A SLE-H was mistyped as "INFJ". She was interested in mysticism and anthroposophy. I told her that people with Ni suggestive can often be interested in stuff like that. That it doesn't necessary mean that you are an intuitive type.

A SEI thought she was "INFJ". She didn't really like my correction because she identifies as intuitive. Imo that's because of subtype Ni, but it can be hard to explain. Si base is often also hard to put to use, so the person can easily identify with something else.

But it's better to wait until one has enough data. I have been wrong also about people's types.

It depends on the person, and if I feel I can talk to them. But I don't feel that it creates conflict, although it can be a little sensitive. If you show an interest in people they often like it.

Edit:
    One EIE got angry at me for saying that she is EIE and that she is semidual with my LII friend, whom she was dating. She got in a really bad mood and tried to make me uncomfortable (and she succeeded). I feel many EIEs are mistyped and it can be hard to correct them. She was in fact a psychologist and she said she knows typology (I don't think she knew much). She was also critical and said that people might take the types and relationships too seriously. (She was right about that of course, although it's not always like that).
    Last edited by Tallmo; 09-17-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m more interested in helping the people who are uncertain about their type and want help finding it.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    A SLE-H was mistyped as "INFJ". She was interested in mysticism and anthroposophy. I told her that people with Ni suggestive can often be interested in stuff like that. That it doesn't necessary mean that you are an intuitive type.
    Maybe is the most common mistype I see irl. Same for SEE. Also, ESE are a lot superstitious due to Ni PolR, so sometimes they take Mbti (most common typing method) as an horoscope and self-type INTJ.

Years ago I wasted my time letting them know they weren't. They were raping the theory. In the end I gave up because it is not worth it.

Btw, I have been typed differently by many friends and I like to hear their views on this. It is curious.

My INFj friend is ultra sensitive and perceives my ways and what I say more "heavy"/"rude" than others (also when I talk...normal), so he typed me SLE/LIE.
    An ESE friend of mine is not intimidated and even thinks I'm a lot polite and that I support friends, plus in his opinion I'm intuitive, so he typed me INFp.
    My ILI ex gf considers INFj.
    Only one ILE friend considers me LSI.

I mean, I like people to see me in a variety of ways. . But the point is also that it is difficult to get a complete picture based on what one person thinks of you. The important thing is to always listen to the opinions of others. Through their opinion you understand how they perceive that relation, and so you got precious informations to type yourself.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been a bit "diplomatic" throughout my life. What people believe and their convictions are taken into consideration but for the most part have no consequences on me as long as they are not trying to impose them on me or on others forcefully. So I go with the flow, live and let live.

If I think that Joe is mistyped 1) it must be very obvious because my typing skills are not very sharp and 2) I will not tell Joe anyway because I'm like an observer I never intervene in people's opinion (again, unless it's a case of "force majeure") and that include their opinion about my type of course. In general I think it's better to be open to interpretations and opinions, even if they don't convince you at least they might entertain your natural curiosity and enhance your social skills. Incidentally it can help you forge an opinion about a person or a group of person even though I prefer to understand individuals prior to the group they might belong to and that even if eventually the group might behave like an individual.

For some people their Self-Typing (or even their "Pro-Typing") is as important as God for a religious people or Santa Claus for a lot of children. It's a belief no more no less. If you deny the existence of their beliefs it can have a consequent negative psychological impact. I think the longest time a person is convinced of its type the harder it is to convince him/her that it's a mistype and it is even more difficult if that person is a Rational Type in general and even more if It's a rational Introvert Type in particular. The more difficult it is, the higher the chance of conflictual the discussion or debate about it can be. You better be well motivated to put yourself in such situation.

In general, I think the best way to open people's mind to a different view is by indirect means, in such a subtle way that the person thinks that the shift in opinion comes from his or her own insight*. Influencing stubborn people in a good and well intended way is almost an art form. When I have to do it , this is the way I prefer to do it but it's just me ahah ! I like to preserve at least a neutral relationship with people I interact with. Everything we say and do, and even some of the things that we don't say and do can have a negative or positive influence on our relationship. I like to stay on good term with everyone to the extent possible.

* I would add that the purpose of "the forum" in its historical term is to debate about a play ( a tragedy) that was exposed to the citizens and it was a duty in Ancient Greece to participate to the debate. Art and Storytelling have always been the way by which the standards developed in a society. Things that odd to remain constant and things that need to changed. Sometimes recommending a book, a movie or a play, that alone can have an influence on people's view. It's obvious but nonetheless worth mentioning imho.
    Lack is the Muse of all Poets

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no one has to listen to anyone about their type so i dont see it wrong as suggesting anything, if they dont agree then they just dont agree. u shouldnt keep bugging someone about their type in general after they tell u they dont want to hear about it
    i do believe a lot of people overreact and this shouldnt be such a big deal just as many other things shouldnt
    i get upset when people dont allow u to tell them about something but if they dont want to hear about it and change they will bring problems to others. of course this is relative and someone can keep bugging someone without a good reason/be in the wrong themselves so it all means pick ur battles and how u handle them
    if u have ideas about someone's type from things about thier behavior so u use that to make ur arguement they cant have intellectual property thats bs
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too often socionics communities, as well as most typologies, similar to any community, creates phantoms where to project false negative traits onto types, a sort of mark of the beast, and then use the typological label to attack those who are either vulnerable on the group, or that they particularly dislike, to the point they start harassing and persecuting people (the hate-typing phenomenon, it's literal typological cancel culture).

Social groups do this as a way to create unity between the valued members, formalize and reinforce the status of predominant individuals as well as other's alliegance to those, and to vent phrenic energies resulting from inadequate functioning of the social system.

The MBTI do this with INFPs for example. With socionics it is specially laughable because this is all stereotypically associated with Beta quadra types, so you have groups persecuting their pariahs through demonization of the very same behaviors the group is practicing.

These stupid mfs are so unaware of themselves that see this behavior, and negate it in themselves while applying it fully to others, they don't even realize they are persecuting others for the things they are in themselves and the things they act out too.

Telling an IEI he's mistyped and he's actually SEI (Which is actually unimportant) will probably not be taken as an insult. Tell an IEI that she's mistyped as EIE which is a mirror, very very similar type and she'll break down crying, afraid to be the pariah and to be ostracised by the group.

Most typology fans are unaware of themselves and just trying to find their aesthetic, and in their way of finding the label that sounds good to them they trample and discriminate others on baseless bullshit and social projections.
    If I'm not answering you, I'm either procrastinating a response, or I've judged the conversation as fruitless/already settled prior to the debate for me.

Plausible types; INxP>INxj>ENxp>ENxj

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VewyScawwyNawcissist
    no one has to listen to anyone about their type so i dont see it wrong as suggesting anything, if they dont agree then they just dont agree. u shouldnt keep bugging someone about their type in general after they tell u they dont want to hear about it
    i do believe a lot of people overreact and this shouldnt be such a big deal just as many other things shouldnt
    i get upset when people dont allow u to tell them about something but if they dont want to hear about it and change they will bring problems to others. of course this is relative and someone can keep bugging someone without a good reason/be in the wrong themselves so it all means pick ur battles and how u handle them
    if u have ideas about someone's type from things about thier behavior so u use that to make ur arguement they cant have intellectual property thats bs
    I feel it’s hard to criticise someone as overreacting to being told of their ‘mistyping’ when there’s any number of things that can be causing them reason to be distressed by it. Maybe they ‘know’ SLEs are ‘unwanted’, so they stick to their ILE-Ti typing instead. Maybe they’ve *been* one type for so long that the possibility or truth of them being something different is an uncomfortable revelation. And maybe they just don’t know much about typology, are aware of this, and are defensive about it. Some people are just sensitive in general, haha.

That’s why I think it’s important to be diplomatic about it. At least in that case, so long as you haven’t been incessantly prodding them about it or have otherwise complied with their wishes, then you can at least know you tried to do the right thing by them.

TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diplomacy seems fake to me. U dont have to be an ass but if u are perceived as such despite that lacking strong indication thats on them. If they misumderstood ur intentions u can clarify. Neither side should be an ass about it. "

I want to care

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mairon View Post
    Maybe is the most common mistype I see irl. Same for SEE. Also, ESE are a lot superstitious due to Ni PolR, so sometimes they take Mbti (most common typing method) as an horoscope and self-type INTJ.
    It's easier when the type is pronounced, like clear cases. This SLE was a harmonizer and also maybe an outsider in some way. Works at a factory in logistics (physical job) and in her spare time she goes to this anthroposophic "church" or center or whatever. Does Tarot readings at home or with her mystic friends. I introduced the I Ching to her and she actually bought the book and learned the divination methods. But she was willing to listen and I think she understood my point of her having Se. But it can be hard to explain when you have a SLE with H subtype and that lifestyle. On the other hand, her being H probably made her more receptive to my "lecturing" her about types.

I've also noticed the same about Ni polrs as what you said. Like ESE becoming really opposed or tense about anything vaguely mystical, like even something like walking through a forest if they are not familiar with the place.

Years ago I wasted my time letting them know they weren't. They were raping the theory. In the end I gave up because it is not worth it.
    I think Fe helps and that might not be your strong side. One has to "educate" and present the facts so that people can relate to it. Small chunks at a time. Then listening to their reply and clarifying further. Then clarifying even more.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VewyScawwyNawcissist View Post
    Diplomacy seems fake to me. U dont have to be an ass but if u are perceived as such despite that lacking strong indication thats on them. If they misumderstood ur intentions u can clarify. Neither side should be an ass about it. "
    I would say that a good Diplomat is one who adapt to the personality of his or her interlocutor in order to deliver informations the way the interlocutor wants it to be delivered. No fakeness here but rather a tactful attitude greatly concerned about the internal state of an interlocutor and his or her well being. For instance if you have to announce to some children that both of their parents died in a car accident last night would it be fake to be tactful and diplomatic ? Of course not.

To be Fake is for instance, to pretend to be someone you're not while you're not on stage or on a Movie set...

TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If u try to manipulate the childrens emotions u are being fake. Its one simple sentence u said, what else is necessary

I want to care

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Fe helps and that might not be your strong side. One has to "educate" and present the facts so that people can relate to it. Small chunks at a time. Then listening to their reply and clarifying further. Then clarifying even more.
    Yeah, at first I presented to them my point of view in a too theoretical way, expecting them to understand tons of facts about theory without them even having the basics of both socionics/mbti.

I have understood my flaws over time and have tried a softer method, but from both ESEs and SEEs I always get answers that tend to close speeches, like: "ah wow", "thanks, I will read more about it" (and obviously, they don't do it anyway).

So I came to the conclusion that usually they are more interested in the "quick" classification itself rather than its passages, what's behind it etc. You can also be tactful and give them small chunks at a time, but what is needed is their predisposition to listen and understand. And most of the time they lack it, because the interest is superficial.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VewyScawwyNawcissist View Post
    If u try to manipulate the childrens emotions u are being fake. Its one simple sentence u said, what else is necessary
    Sure, as you know most children don't respond (emotionally and intellectually) the same way adults do. In case of a tragic news, you have to tell them the truth in a different way. You have to use a language that they can understand based on allegories and such. If you don't tell them the truth they will imagine the worst anyway because they'll feel that something is wrong (I'm not talking about socionics here but about an universal reality of human psyche) . On the other hand if you're blunt you risk to put them in a state of shock of which the consequences can be major and sustainable. It may seem like emotional manipulation but it's not, it's protection. If you have a child and you come across images of atrocities and bloodshed real or fictive you don't want the child to see them because those images are traumatic (even for some adult !) and the consequences of such exposition can be, again major and sustainable. You protect the child. I can go on and on but you get the picture.

Now, a lullaby is song for babies and little child. It is also a way to calm a baby and put him or her to sleep. It's by essence an emotional manipulation. All mothers manipulate their children's emotions. Any well crafted art has at the very core of its expressive purpose the sharing of emotions. Great artists are emotional manipulators, they are virtuosi of emotions. Great artists talk to children too, they manipulate children's emotions. Walt Disney do you hear me ? If a child like to play Mozart because it makes him or her feel good emotions, then Mozart's music has and still is manipulate a whole lot of children's emotions. What about Brahm' Lullaby talking about children's emotional manipulation !
    Lack is the Muse of all Poets

TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    Sure, as you know most children don't respond (emotionally and intellectually) the same way adults do. In case of a tragic news, you have to tell them the truth in a different way. You have to use a language that they can understand based on allegories and such. If you don't tell them the truth they will imagine the worst anyway because they'll feel that something is wrong (I'm not talking about socionics here but about an universal reality of human psyche) . On the other hand if you're blunt you risk to put them in a state of shock of which the consequences can be major and sustainable. It may seem like emotional manipulation but it's not, it's protection. If you have a child and you come across images of atrocities and bloodshed real or fictive you don't want the child to see them because those images are traumatic (even for some adult !) and the consequences of such exposition can be, again major and sustainable. You protect the child. I can go on and on but you get the picture.

Now, a lullaby is song for babies and little child. It is also a way to calm a baby and put him or her to sleep. It's by essence an emotional manipulation. All mothers manipulate their children's emotions. Any well crafted art has at the very core of its expressive purpose the sharing of emotions. Great artist are emotional manipulators, they are virtuosi of emotions. Great artist talks to children too, they manipulate children's emotions. Walt Disney do you hear me ? If a child like to play Mozart because it makes him or her feel good emotions, then Mozart's music has and still is manipulate a whole lot of children's emotions. What about Brahm' Lullaby talking about children's emotional manipulation !
    i believe my parents "protecting" me ruined me. the proper way to do it is to show the truth, and thne show a proper way of handling it. if u protect childrne from gore they will end up getting insane over it. im not saying u should show them gore on purpose, but there is a truth to life that should be shown, both in love and hate, good and evil, the best and the worst, as someone is growing, because they will otherwise grow with a broken sense of reality. u keep using allegories thats how u produce a schizophrenic. or a stupid normalfag who abuses others but refuses to face the consequences of HIS own actions. if u show gore and are a dick about it thats how u produce a sociopath etc etc. no songs are not fully emotional manipulation. they are irrational. now if u bend the child's sense of reality no no no no no. i hated being lied to by the people im supposed to depend on FOR MY SENSE OF REALITY.
    @godslave ok maybe it depends on the kid/their previous experiences and mindsets how u should tell them
    Last edited by VewyScawwyNawcissist; 09-18-2022 at 10:47 AM.

I want to care

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne doesn't mind being called mistyped. Ni on the other hand... and that's most people who study types
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel strangely happy when people offer alternative typings. It makes me feel like I'm more well-rounded than if everyone unanimously agreed, "Yeah, she's X type."

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreymagine View Post
    I feel strangely happy when people offer alternative typings. It makes me feel like I'm more well-rounded than if everyone unanimously agreed, "Yeah, she's X type."
    It's kind of funny how well your comment matches/complements this one, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Alive View Post
    Ne doesn't mind being called mistyped. Ni on the other hand... and that's most people who study types
    I think there may be some kernel of truth to the idea that Ne-types, or valuers, genuinely don't mind the idea of being given alternative types to consider, whereas Ni-types/valuers are going to be more invested in finding out 'the one type', or endpoint, that matches themselves, even if they say they may be more open to alternatives (which actually may just be a hidden plea for helping them find 'the one type' for them).

There may be other reasons at play, of course, but to me at least, it kind of makes sense and goes along with the general theory of Ne vs Ni.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ni can be relaxed about other typings too as long as the topic is not of primary importance to them, when it is just a kind of hobby. Major interests are pursued very seriously though, and 'needless' alternatives suddenly become very annoying to them
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it depends how it's done.

The three first other suggestions I got were people reframing me as their dual, which was a really awful way of flirting and invalidating. Someone thinking I was not "deep" enough, like they are, to be an intuitive. I also got called too stupid to be a certain type in barely veilled terms, anyone who didn't praise their marvelous intelligence got called stupid by type justification. I got called a type after a disagreement by a person who openly hated this type, it was some "people I hate are the bad type" kind of mentality. Another dual reframing somewhere in there or two...
    A lot of emotional typings and insistance.
    I also found some people's "help" intrusive, more like being manipulated and led on little by little to see things their way.
    Guess I'm a little bitter after this.

I saw a few suggestions that were neutral or even kind with short delivery and I found them interesting tbh, but my general attitude towards random type suggestions remains unwelcoming and even derisive. I think most people feel it somewhat.

So this is a general "what not to do" to suggest another type to someone I guess.

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alive
    I think Ni can be relaxed about other typings too as long as the topic is not of primary importance to them, when it is just a kind of hobby. Major interests are pursued very seriously though, and 'needless' alternatives suddenly become very annoying to them
    Yes, I think Ni-Ego intuitives can be more easy about it when they have no pressing need to know. Ne-ignoring/demonstrative can obviously be tolerant of alternatives in that sense so long as they aren’t drowned in them.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you find your tritype? 614? I typed my old EII friend this tritype..weird coz I thought she was like you but she was E4 first and ne subtype..

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    Did you find your tritype? 614? I typed my old EII friend this tritype..weird coz I thought she was like you but she was E4 first and ne subtype..
    Yeah, I've been set on 614 from the beginning; it's definitely the correct set of types. I've gone back and forth on the exact arrangement of the fixes, but this order feels right at the moment.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind people suggesting alternative types, it's kind of fun sometimes. I just don't have to listen to them lol Also if you listen to everyone you'll end up going on some wild goose chase for a type. I did listen to people at one point and all it did was confuse me and take away any enjoyment of typology
    I don't really care about telling others they're mistyped. I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things. I mostly see typology as something that's just for fun.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If they care, they're probably histrionic

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    If they care, they're probably histrionic
    I think people usually get in fights over people's reasoning more than their typing though. For example:

"You are ILE not IEI because you are very logical and innovative!"
    vs.
    "You are ILE not IEI because you a hyper little stinky-binky!"

Some people definitely do get in fights over types. But I think that's uncommon compared to getting over fights because of how people say things, even if I don't have a high opinion of most people in general. Mostly, just because socionics doesn't claim to be authoritative and most people are here for fun or personal interest to begin with.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel strangely happy when people offer alternative typings.
    Me too honestly but I prefer to argue and know why they typed to me like this

I like long discussions and arguments with others about a particular thing without a specific reason , but only if I get bored

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missmessy View Post
    Me too honestly but I prefer to argue and know why they typed to me like this
    Yeah, I relate to wanting to know their reasoning.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mairon View Post
    Yeah, at first I presented to them my point of view in a too theoretical way, expecting them to understand tons of facts about theory without them even having the basics of both socionics/mbti.
    yes, that doesn't work. As you've noticed too. One has to break it down into simple observations.

I have understood my flaws over time and have tried a softer method, but from both ESEs and SEEs I always get answers that tend to close speeches, like: "ah wow", "thanks, I will read more about it" (and obviously, they don't do it anyway).

So I came to the conclusion that usually they are more interested in the "quick" classification itself rather than its passages, what's behind it etc. You can also be tactful and give them small chunks at a time, but what is needed is their predisposition to listen and understand. And most of the time they lack it, because the interest is superficial.
    Probably true. Although a lot of people are in the beginning interested in quick classifications, and then the process involves moving away from that and seeing things more objectively and in relation to other types. I can imagine that with at least some ESEs one would have to have many many sessions with them and redirect their attention on the important things. And give them the information in a format tailored for their understanding. Not always possible of course unless you are close friends. Compatibility of the teacher also matters. Maybe an ILE would be a better socionics teacher to an ESE so that they get it through Ne also, (lots of different angels to the problem, variety of examples etc)

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think it's nice or good to 'hate type people' like if you are typing people and it's filled with too much venomous and gossip and malice, but on the other side of that - there is better and more direct ways if you want to just bully somebody anyway. And nobody has ever hate typed me I don't feel like, so I don't know what it feels like to be hate typed... if somebody has a problem with me, they are usually much more direct and blunt about it than trying to cover up passive-aggressive digs and insults with typology insights. But I think it's getting kind of annoying, because the people who are hate typing are doing both.

It is mature and refreshing when people can disagree with one another respectfully. I don't think diplomacy is always fake. If I was another type, SEI would make the most sense over-all but I'm just not a sensor. And too much intuitive energy directed at me is neutral and dead inside at best, and highly annoying and insufferable at worst - , I want somebody to sense me not intuit towards me- it's like putting the batteries in backwards or probably how being gay feels like for str8 men. lol

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually don't really pay attention to what people have offered on the table - I would rather toss them away if those opinions aren't constructive. But as for the opposite, I'm more inclined to not do anything unless they asked for a favour to give them any opinion or in a case where they keep insisting of something as a trait of the x type, which I usually tried to explain them so they could've grasped a better understanding of which type they should've considered as the options and the notion, "Not every trait is associated to a certain type" which seemed to be very common in any typology community here. Or else, when there is an inconsistency between a certain x and y axes that don't seem to work, I would reprimand them of these fallacious set of types and suggested them another path to examine as a result. However, if any of these didn't happen, I'd rather be quiet since I really didn't like to voice my thought, especially when these things are getting too personal and being ostracized by emotional persuasion.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, it's important to understand the reasoning behind a certain opinion rather than foolishly accepting it for no reason.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, that doesn't work. As you've noticed too. One has to break it down into simple observations.

Probably true. Although a lot of people are in the beginning interested in quick classifications, and then the process involves moving away from that and seeing things more objectively and in relation to other types. I can imagine that with at least some ESEs one would have to have many many sessions with them and redirect their attention on the important things. And give them the information in a format tailored for their understanding. Not always possible of course unless you are close friends. Compatibility of the teacher also matters. Maybe an ILE would be a better socionics teacher to an ESE so that they get it through Ne also, (lots of different angels to the problem, variety of examples etc)
    Yeah, there are many factors. Compatibility, general predisposition or predisposition in that moment you are speaking about it etc. I have a male ESE friend who initially was poorly interested in MBTI/Socionics, but he liked listening to me and, in the end, he started asking me more and more about it. Now he types people better than other people of our group, so I'm very proud

Also, there are precise convinction of the person that sometimes differer despite being the same type.
    For exemple, an IEI girl likes Mbti and talking about it, but another IEI girl said to me "You can't type a so complex human being, we are unpredictable".

However, in these last year I see more and more people interested in MBTI/Socionics. People (belonging to every type) are starting to get more and more interested

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a machine that types people. Then the problem would be solved.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    No it wouldn't. Machines aren't always right, and people still have to interpret them.

TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    Okay, result type.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's a few moving parts to this phenomenon. Firstly, not everyone is on the same page with regard to typing methodology, so it's really no wonder that if a large enough pool of typists are sampled and asked about person A's type, they'll give at least three or four answers. The thing is, they're all probably correct. At the very least they could all be said to be internally consistent with the way that they type other people, so for them they'll probably have plenty good reasons for thinking someone is whatever type. Socionics, at least in the Anglosphere, isn't centrally managed. It's a collection of hobbyists with varying levels of interest in the system who are coming from a variety of backgrounds. There is no way for this to NOT result in a plurality of functional typing methods. I'm not arguing that some are or aren't better than others, but rather that this is the reality of Socionics on this forum. People subscribe to different methods, some gleaned from more "official" sources, and others based on their own personal theories and/or intuitions. So when someone tells me I'm EIE or IEE, I assume they're reasonably likely to be correct within the bounds of their own system. I myself may not agree with their assessment though because my understanding of Socionics is not identical to theirs. I recognize that they're "correct" insofar as they are following their own logic that they use when typing people, but my rejection of those typings of myself isn't based on that - rather, it's based on me not operating within the same framework that they are working within. I can't change my self-perception of my type until I've adopted a framework that sees type in a similar enough way to them. Personally people insisting I'm whatever type really doesn't upset me because I basically agree with them. I just am not using whatever framework they are at the moment, so I don't change my self-typing.

To speak more concretely, I really enjoy @blaecaedre 's analysis of my type, but they're working within a system of typology that I don't understand well enough to adopt (and if I did it would affect all, or at least a great many, of my typings of people I'm sure). Perhaps something about it will click with me at some point, but for now at least that hasn't happened.

As another example, many people take issue with @Alive 's typings of people, and to me this is simply because his methodology is far from the dominant one when it comes to people on this forum at least. The type results he gets usually make plenty of sense to me though when I consider his approach. It can indeed be a little comical sometimes when it feels like he types everyone on the forum as IEI, but within context it makes sense to me, and it certainly doesn't make me upset. I may have a different methodology that I feel works better for me, and for what I want to get out of typing, but there's more than one way to approach these things, and my system isn't automatically better.

Of course as I said before, I have my own opinions about what approaches are superior as far as I'm concerned, but honestly I find it weird that so many people get super hung up on not everyone agreeing with their self-typing. It seems strange to me to think that everyone would type you in perfect accordance with your self-typing all the time, and it's even stranger still to me to get upset over it. It's much more useful to have your own system, but to keep an open ear to the other ideas people throw at you. While not everything people say may be useful to you, occasionally pursuing those alternative perspectives can help lead you to your own breakthroughs. I think it's a bit of a waste to not at least consider for a moment other people's perspectives on your type.

That being said, if you're clearly upsetting someone by telling them they're a particular type, maybe it would be prudent to stop doing so unless all you care about is trolling them. At some point it just turns into drama for drama's sake with no clear benefit to anybody aside from mild amusement
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast