Thread: Is it normal to feel lonely often as an introvert?

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it normal to feel lonely often as an introvert?

I appreciate my alone time a lot when I'm in a relationship or I'm forced to interact with people on a regular basis, but now that I'm single and working from home full-time I feel like I'm losing my mind slowly. I don't even enjoy just doing things outside by myself half the time anymore because it just reminds me how sad my situation is - ideally I'd be on a date with a woman on my days off

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt the same way when I spent a month alone in Japan with zero human interaction besides convenience store cashiers and waiters despite speaking the language intermediately at the time

my understanding is that a lot of introverts are super self sufficient and would feel at peace in a situation like that but I always end up craving companionship, usually from a woman

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not having someone to talk to is tiresome when it's forced. Being in a relationship should mean you have someone to talk to enough, and are happy when alone.

But ... even that doesn't always work out, when your partner is involved in thing that engross their lives (without you involved) you can be forgotten, and that is fine sometimes, hurts other times.

Introverted female with extroverted male SE base is the pits during sports weekends (Like (american football) NFL is my bane.) I like having conversations and he can't converse with me for more than 2 minutes on weekends until he grows weary of the sports season or something.

At any rate, finding the right times to get their attention is often less good for the introvert, just get their attention when it's good for THEM.

So as it goes, yeah I have a lonely sort of existence right now. I hate weekends.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

introverts are more isolated psychologically and therefore often physically, so feelings of loneliness may be more common for them
    however, extraverts probably feel loneliness more strongly and painfully, and probably have a lower threshold for the feeling. it's certainly more unpleasant for them to be isolated, especially for extraverted ethicals

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I’m an ExFp. I’m very low energy and aloof on the surface but I definitely feel like I’m dying on the inside a lot of the time while I don’t have a partner or people who give a shit about me or validate my existence

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    Maybe I’m an ExFp. I’m very low energy and aloof on the surface but I definitely feel like I’m dying on the inside a lot of the time while I don’t have a partner or people who give a shit about me or validate my existence
    NTR imho. Every mentally healthy human being feels the same with different degrees of tolerance. We are a gregarious species, without another we'll soon or later walk in the path of insanity.

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, every human needs contact with other humans in some way. It’s true that introverts have resistance to ‘forced loneliness’, but resistance can be broken down over time as much as it can be built-up.
    If it’s really loneliness that’s causing the issue, then the simple solution is to get out and meet people or what-have-you. But yeah, it seems like a more severe issue is at hand here. In any case, seek out a professional to help you, if you can, is really the best option for this. Regardless of what exactly is causing the problem, you’ll be given a means of sorting it out.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think anyone can feel lonely from time to time, especially if you are deprived of intimate relations, especially if you're used to that (eg, you've been in long term relationships or something along those lines). But not because you feel lonely you should think you might be extrovert, because humans evolved to live in community regardless of their type. I mean, not only humans, but most mammals I guess. I guess in case of introverts it's less about the quantity and more about the intensity of the relations. You might just be looking for a deep bond with someone. An extrovert would probably look for more shallow connections but in a greater quantity. I personally don't like to have someone too compatible as my only relation, because I'd feel like I need them 24/7. So I'd rather have a lot of good enough friends and stuff. Of course if you look for companionship, that's a different story because you can live with them, but just imagine seeing someone really compatible once per month? Can you handle that?
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!