Thread: Physical appearance and sociotypes

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Physical appearance and sociotypes

I would like to understand how much it affects being a Sensor in the importance we give to our physical appearance. If you spotted some important characteristic related to types and their styles

I often read online that the Sensors give the greatest importance (especially Si / Se dom aux feeler). Still, there are instances where intuitive feeler give much more importance to it, while other intuitive of the same type dress bad as hell.

For exemple, does a Si PolR care about appearance or not? And does a suggestive Si? For example, I find it odd that most of the IEE I know are more scruffy than the EIE which should give less importance to the look. I find it difficult to distinguish a Si PolR from a Suggestive judging from clothes.

Perhaps in the EIE there is more a sort of "chaos" of clothing that aims more to impress (Se mob), where an IEE happear with a more "calm" and fair clothing style in relation to the context, right?

I consider myself somewhere in the middle between EIE / IEE and I don't know how to decide well, but in any case I have extreme precision in clothing and I pay attention to the context. I get compliments on how I care, without ever exaggerating. But I'm not a sensor at all. So can't use my exemple to help myself

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i consider IEE to be more haphazard/chaotic bc of Ne and EIE is more harmonized and elegant/curated. Si valuers tend to prefer thicker or sturdier clothing?

she is IEE
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VewyScawwyNawcissist View Post
    i consider IEE to be more haphazard/chaotic bc of Ne and EIE is more harmonized and elegant/curated. Si valuers tend to prefer thicker or sturdier clothing?
    I really don't know... sites tend to mix these aspect between IEE and EIE. I though EIEs were less interested because of Freddie Mercury (EIE?) which only dressed to impress. Also, EIEs have demonstrative Ne (so a 4D function). Does it count? idk
    Also, all sites consider EIE an scenical character, like an actor and a scatterbrained being in general, but more in a physical than conceptual way, while IEE are more psychological stressing? idk

TIM
    LSI 7w8 soc-blind
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEEs have an ethereal look to them, lots of blusher, lots of exploration with colors through make-up, clothing and hair dye (depending on how socially acceptable it is) their image is less physical and more other-worldly which sometimes translates to odd choices if you look at their clothing from a concrete perspective. Bunny hats, pink hair, scribbled on their fingers (pen tattoos. Or real ones) neon sneakers, innocent child eyes, image filters (I’m trying to paint a picture) this would mean that they would place less emphasis on how clothes fit and more on what it portrays (long sweater sleeves > shows helpless-ness for example if that’s what they’re going for)

EIEs go for good fabrics, good sewing techniques and will focus more on how the clothes fit them. Clean colors. Safe choices. Brand names if they can afford it if they are able to tell the difference. Crisp colors. The EIE used to know would buy cheap clothing but since she’s able to recognize good material and finishing, she’s able to come out with something that looks double the price.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, I don't think it's type related, I think it's socion related. It implies a lot of preconditions like Freedom, level of society, culture and even mental health. With that said I'm willing to consider the possibility of the TIM influence on our physical appearance in the private sphere.

I tend to think of TIMs in there most raw representations, I think of them through time, asking questions like : what has always been true and typical of a given TIM from ten thousand years ago and the same TIM today ?

For instance, If I was borned and raised in Saudi Arabia, the way I dress would be less relevant than If I was borned and raised in France. If I was borned and raised in the Arabian Peninsula 2 000 years ago my dress would not be significantly different from the way people of the same area dress today. It's not true if I compare the way french people from XIXth century dress to modern days french people and even more from Franks of the Clovis 1 Era...
    BTW, as I wrote this, the Burkini is back in Grenoble France, People make love to logic with such a passion...

Personally, I dress for comfort. I want to feel comfortable in my clothes. What influences my choice is mostly the weather. Now, the problem is that when I am comfortable, I have the tendency to keep the same clothes for a long time. I am a bit of a recluse but when I go out, I always ask myself: "will people notice that I always dress with the same clothes ?" and I usually reply to myself "meh ! whatever, I will change next time..." that sucks !

I bought my washing machine 2 years after moving into my flat, I purchased it about one year ago and I used four times, the first time was a test running, and the fourth time, it's my mother who came and helped me. With that said, I have a good hygiene and I got a bit of mysophobia.
    I use only 100% cotton T-shirts and underwears. I sleep with the same "sleep" T-shirt for a long time before I change it. I sleep with earplugs since 2001. Before earplugs I used to use the first layer of paper of a kleenex, divide it in two equal parts, chew them and plug my ears with them.... It's a bit disgusting but it does the job ! I used to call myself Tooms, a reference to a character from the X-files. (Eugène Victor Tooms).

I dress very simply, sweatpants or jeans (mostly black) baskets. I don't like to be the center of attention so I avoid flashy stuff.

P.s. Sorry, I know that it doesn't really help if I don't mention my type...

TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs tend to dress plain, ppl with high Fe tend to dress more expressive, Fi leads tend to be the most emo, xIE can be more interested in wearing smth striking yet rough like weird piercings or even more colored hair (Se HA), ESE is the most likely to be the basic bitch - too much and plain make up, very white teeth, baisc haircut with those particular brown or gray coats with a scarf and boots like those below.

LSE and SLI dress to get the job done they tend to be the worst (there are emo SLIs tho and maybe even LSEs). female LSEs still dress better than males. LSEs also seem to like hats.
    id appreciate confirmation on everything mentioned.

in general introverts do tend to dress to get less attention
    xIIs tend to be aversive to rich overexpensive stuff, Se egos and Ejs like to flex
    Ne egos are also the most experimental, Ni egos tend to want some kind of more aesthetic harmony

LII

I want to care

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    IMHO, I don't think it's type related, I think it's socion related. It implies a lot of preconditions like Freedom, level of society, culture and even mental health. With that said I'm willing to consider the possibility of the TIM influence on our physical appearance in the private sphere.
    And what do you think about Si PolR and Suggestive differences? (like for exemple in relax etc)

TIM
    LSI 7w8 soc-blind
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    For instance, If I was borned and raised in Saudi Arabia, the way I dress would be less relevant than If I was borned and raised in France.
    thats because you have to think in a level of abstraction where concrete details are no longer relevant, and draw correlations from there. If I said that ENFPs dress is green abayas, that would make my statement useless. But if I say that ENFPs use colors as a way to explore their image and tell a story, that could be relevant anywhere in the world, excluding situations where they would have no money at all but even then. People will come with ways to do what they want. Instead of buying they might dye a piece of clothing, etc
    ترفرف كالأجنحة غير المنظورة حول رأسي

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lesri View Post
    And what do you think about Si PolR and Suggestive differences? (like for exemple in relax etc)
    Someone in this forum once said :

PolR = Conscious avoidance / DS = Subconscious attraction. I think that's well said.

This apply almost fully when we don't have any Socionics knowledge :

We don't like it when people shine a light on our PolR because that's the area of cognitive distortion, it's a dark room of which we can't see the content. Our Dual can help us in this area, It's like being afraid of flying while your dual is, among other things, a Top Gun instructor...

IMHO, EIE and LIE POV on Si is seen from the perspective of Se : " We'll have plenty of time to rest when we'll die" is an Si polr statement.
    Si is understood as the opposite of Se almost without nuances. To be strong is to not be weak. To be weak is basically any Si domain related stuff.
    Si PolR are always busy, active, productive. When they fall ill it's because of the lack of attention to their health and its their body which obliges them to rest. Even when they are sick, they still think about stuff that they can do for their business or they community etc...

Power is money, blessed are the riches ! Si polr with a gamma flavor.
    Power is a Glory we conquered with Passion and blood ! Si Polr with a Beta flavor.
    well, that was a bit caricatural but I like to exaggerate traits for the sake of a better understanding...

Now, Si DS. You are unable to correctly take care of yourself and you appreciate greatly any kind of Si attention, you are very receptive to it. You kinda naively trust and accept any information related to Si domain given by a person you see as competent in it.

I hope that helped but note that I'm not an expert so...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! You have been clear as water with what you said. Seeing it with this perspective made me understand way deeper the meaning of PolR and how to differentiate better these two types.

Also, you helped typing myself, because I fit lot like a person with suggestive Si, and not even near to Si PolR description

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lesri View Post
    Thanks! You have been clear as water with what you said. Seeing it with this perspective made me understand way deeper the meaning of PolR and how to differentiate better these two types.

Also, you helped typing myself, because I fit lot like a person with suggestive Si, and not even near to Si PolR description

Lack is the Muse of all Poets

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESE is the most likely to be the basic bitch - too much and plain make up, very white teeth, baisc haircut with those particular brown or gray coats with a scarf and boots
    Yeah, every ESE girl I know dresses this way! The only EIE girl I know loves piercing too.
    Agree also on SLIs. Thanks for the great answer!

We can say in general:
    - F gives more importance in these aspects than T.
    - Se lead or aux tend to impress more or having a more rebel style in general
    - Fe/Si dress more basic and tend to happear "perfect" rather than unique;
    - Fi/Ne and Ne/Fi are more experimental. INFj more emo or anime imo (my INFj friends wears a lot of anime/metal band t-shirt)

Dunno for ENFp but personally (I think I'm IEE) I steal something from medias, but integrate with standard of reality. For exemple I copy outfits or good color schemes from films/videogame characters (jackets etc).
    People say I've got real good taste and copy me a lot (they buy the same clothes the next day).

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE style

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for intuitives, the expression of fashion falls more in line with abstract representation. What do the clothes signify on a grand level?

As an intuitive, I personally don't pay that much attention to the way I dress compared to sensors I know. I was actually kind of made fun of for it when I was younger. Historically, I've just chosen some articles of clothing I found compelling, but when it comes to maintenance, knowing what fits and what matches, I'm completely clueless -even as someone with artistic proclivities.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I think for intuitives, the expression of fashion falls more in line with abstract representation. What do the clothes signify on a grand level?

As an intuitive, I personally don't pay that much attention to the way I dress compared to sensors I know. I was actually kind of made fun of for it when I was younger. Historically, I've just chosen some articles of clothing I found compelling, but when it comes to maintenance, knowing what fits and what matches, I'm completely clueless -even as someone with artistic proclivities.
    I started to give importance to my appearance when I reached 13yo, but only small things. My ESE mom helped me in dressing well. I used to wear weird accessories (like big necklaces from videogames things ecc) until 16. At the age of 18 I started giving more importance to my appearance than my sensor friends. Its weird because my other intuitive friends are disinterested in this(other than my ex ILI gf), so I was curious.

Socionics descriptions relate this to suggestive Si, but other IEEs I know don't pay attention to it

TIM
    ILE-H
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Lesri love ur Sonic fancharacter
    [Today 03:36 AM] anotherperson: this forum feels like the edge of the internet

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maromi View Post
    @Lesri love ur Sonic fancharacter
    He is Klonoa (from the playstation game)

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    BAMF
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

All I do is wear t-shirts, jeans, pants, shorts, hoodies, and sneakers.

Must be SLI then...

TIM
    LSI 7w8 soc-blind
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Leviathan View Post
    Woman, unknown age, annoyed when people don’t have conversations exactly the way she wants

TIM
    LSI 7w8 soc-blind
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How dare people on a socionics site make everything socionics related !!1!!11!

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ibreen View Post
    Woman, unknown age, annoyed when people don’t have conversations exactly the way she wants
    Some rando triggered by an emoji

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't wear shoes that I can't walk in all day. I prioritize common sense and comfort over aesthetics. Must also be SLI. @Robert Dane Horlock

TIM
    LSI 7w8 soc-blind
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Leviathan View Post
    Some rando triggered by an emoji

triggered? calm down stop projecting
    ترفرف كالأجنحة غير المنظورة حول رأسي

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving importance to physical appearance may be related to extraversion (greater interest in and dependence on the external world, where other people are in contact with you, and where you in more situations need to look good), ethics (greater focus on pleasing and influencing other people emotionally, being interpersonally attractive, proper and sending the right signals), sensing (either interest in what is aesthetically pleasing or the appearance of status). Also Fe-Ti valuing types usually place more focus on proper appearance, as they place greater value on clearly defined social roles and the proper expression of that role - especially the rationals.
    EXE may be the most interested in it, XLI the least, on average.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh this looks like how 99% of people in my area dress (rural central Indiana). This is pretty common midwestern style. You could drive through a college campus 30 from minutes where I live and see girls that look just like that everywhere. It actually looks like it could be taken out of one of our closest colleges ads It’d be hard to find anyone that didn’t look and dress like that lol. This is the ‘norm’ here.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster reverie View Post
    Tbh this looks like how 99% of people in my area dress (rural central Indiana). This is pretty common midwestern style. You could drive through a college campus 30 from minutes where I live and see girls that look just like that everywhere. It actually looks like it could be taken out of one of our closest colleges ads It’d be hard to find anyone that didn’t look and dress like that lol. This is the ‘norm’ here.
    ive seen ESEs here dressed this way as well. SEIs kinda too. the Se egos and everyone else has different preferences

I want to care

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear a monochromatic t-shirt and shorts or jeans, with tennis shoes, or crocs as a power move. It's simple and keeps me from needing to think too hard about what I wear.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread made me realize I can't even tell if people I cross on the street wear clothes.

Anyway, I think anyone can learn to dress well, according to circumstances, etc... and that where the function thing lay is in the reason behind it.
    I'd say Fe is more about fitting into a certain correctness of mold, whether the goal is practicality, elegance, attracting attention... an exemple that crosses my mind is how the mullet came back recently, it's an anti-fashion thing that managed to get fashionable. After years of mocking it, people are getting it.
    If someone gets a mullet to show how tired they are of fashion by following this cool and edgy trend, that sounds Fe to me.
    If someone gets a mullet because it's fun and new, more Ne. Fi might still weight in to approve or disapprove the idea.
    You still need the guts to get a mullet and that's ntr.

Really what I'm saying is that the actual appearance is meaningless to type, anyone can get a mullet. It's easy, just take an appointment with a hairdresser and show them a picture. Voilà.

My own hair cut suggest low maintenance, boring, practicality... I must be SLI too. jk

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I wear a monochromatic t-shirt and shorts or jeans, with tennis shoes, or crocs as a power move. It's simple and keeps me from needing to think too hard about what I wear.
    Do you decorate your crocs with those little pins?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Do you decorate your crocs with those little pins?
    No, lol.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    No, lol.
    These ones remind me of MissDucki
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1219431...-7&pro=1&sts=1

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe-IEI style is maximalist/throwing on random stuff

Last edited by Averroes; 07-07-2022 at 06:14 PM.

TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Averroes mockery doesnt weigh the same if i mess it up on purpose
    it can be a powermove, or due to not feeling like urself in something too serious or not wanting to be vulnerable by showing what we actually like AND male fashion being shit
    association with "better" types of clothes with particular ppl or culturse who wear them that i want absolutely nothing to do with nor feel like im emulating them which would change ppl's expectations/perceptions or my own forcing me to act a certain way
    also unleashing the inner drag queeny

I want to care